Ford Focus - Ford Focus MK1 intermittent speedo but not VSS - Doug_YO

Hi All,

First post here, unfortunately in need of advice.

The speedo on my 2004 Focus stops working intermittently (stays at 0). This happens approximately every other journey. The odometer also stops recording miles when the speedo stops. This is accompanied by it occasionally stalling when I pull up to a stop as the engine falls back to idle. I have not noticed a lack of power as other people have but this could just be as I am gently driving around town. The same applies for the drop in radio level.

I have only noticed the speedo stopping working when I am moving off from stationery (it doesn't seem to stop whilst it is showing a speed). I have only done short journeys since this has started happening (less than 10 mins/3 miles) and it has yet to start working again. When I restart the car it resumes working.

Having read other posts here and on other forums I was relieved that it appeared to be the VSS. I got this changed but the same symptoms are occuring. All the other dials are working OK throughout.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? I think its unlikely the new VSS is faulty. Incidently it was replaced by a previous owner in 2009.

Thanks in advance...

Doug

Ford Focus - Ford Focus MK1 intermittent speedo but not VSS - elekie&a/c doctor

Is this a genuine Ford replacement part or a copy?Also has it been fitted correctly ie alignment right ,as these can be a real pain to remove and to get the new one to fit accurately.

Ford Focus - Ford Focus MK1 intermittent speedo but not VSS - Doug_YO

Hi and thanks for your reply.

Yes it's a genuine Ford part (I got the old one back in the new ones packaging). I can only guess that it has been fitted correctly as it was done by a local garage and it does work intermittently (just like the old one).

Thanks, Doug.

Ford Focus - Ford Focus MK1 intermittent speedo but not VSS - Coombs33

Hi All,

First post here, unfortunately in need of advice.

The speedo on my 2004 Focus stops working intermittently (stays at 0). This happens approximately every other journey. The odometer also stops recording miles when the speedo stops. This is accompanied by it occasionally stalling when I pull up to a stop as the engine falls back to idle. I have not noticed a lack of power as other people have but this could just be as I am gently driving around town. The same applies for the drop in radio level.

I have only noticed the speedo stopping working when I am moving off from stationery (it doesn't seem to stop whilst it is showing a speed). I have only done short journeys since this has started happening (less than 10 mins/3 miles) and it has yet to start working again. When I restart the car it resumes working.

Having read other posts here and on other forums I was relieved that it appeared to be the VSS. I got this changed but the same symptoms are occuring. All the other dials are working OK throughout.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? I think its unlikely the new VSS is faulty. Incidently it was replaced by a previous owner in 2009.

Thanks in advance...

Doug

Hi Doug

I had the exact same issue and it was resolved by a friend who is a mechanic. He changed a sensor on the gearbox, i couldnt tell you which one but this sorted it out.

Hope this helps