Ford transit - Brake problems - Dp63

Hello. I was wondering if you might be able to confirm what the ford technician told me.

I have a 2010 3.5 tonne hi roof ford transit which has developed a worrying symptom. While heavy and trying to slow from motorway speeds, the brake pedal slowly travels down to the buklhead. This takes around 5-10 seconds and when the pedal is released, it resumes braking again. It still moves slowly down.

It was in the Ford dealership today and they replaced the fluid. The pedal feels a little better but it still goes inexorably down.

The technician said that all diesel transits do this.

Call me old fashioned but the only pedals which should move to the firewall are the accelerator and clutch pedals.

Your advice in this matter would be appreciated

Ford transit - Brake problems - brum

Typical BS from a dealer.

No, there is a fault. I'm not familiar with ford brakes but this looks like either a brake servo or master cylinder fault.

Ford transit - Brake problems - Wackyracer

I agree with Brum, typical we can't fix it excuse. Check the brake hoses are not bulging when under pressure.

It doesn't feel like the brake fluid is expanding something. Is this something to get the AA involved?

That's what I thought. It almost feels like there is a slight leak on a slave cylinder but there are no leaks evident. It's A VERY worrying feeling! The first garage said there's nothing wrong. I'm almost feeling it must be me that's wrong.

If you have no leaks, then I would say the master cylinder is probably at fault.

Ford transit - Brake problems - madf

Simple check.

Check the fluid level in the brake reservoir. After a failure , check again.

If minimal change, it's the master cyclinder.. Fluid is seeping past the seals and returning to the reservoir.

If it was a leak elsewhere, the fluid level would fall.

And semi competent mechanic would know that.

Ford transit - Brake problems - hardway

Clamping the vacuum pipe that feeds the servo should help isolate the fault,

If the brakes now behave it's a fault in the servo.

If no pedal inprovement then suspect the master.

Static test,

don't drive it with no vacuum servo assistance.

Though I have had a couple of Transits in with wierd master cylinder faults,

they both looked like the seals were disolving!!

fluid in the master was very black.

Both fine after new cylinders fitted.

As to Transit's all sharing pedal creep!!!

Difficult to see how Ford would be permited to sell something as a vehicle with brakes like that.

Legal would just love that one!!

As to Transit's all sharing pedal creep!!!

Pedal creep is tested for on MOT test and is a reason for failure.

Funny you should suggest that. With the engine off and no servo vacuum present, the pedal stays at the top and doesn't creep. They also said the brake flluid was very black! Is there anywhere i can go to take this further, it's s long time since I was in the business

Ford transit - Brake problems - Chris Botham

I've just seen this old post while looking for a solution to a brake problem. I have a 2010 transit flat bed in that does exactly the same thing as this, but thats after I've fitted a new master cylinder as i was sure that was at fault. No leaks, pedel sinks while engine is running and not when engine is off, no fluid loss from res. Any ideas ??

Ford transit - Brake problems - Cyd

If there is a leaking slave cylinder in rear drums then it is possible that in the early stages the fluid is simply remaining inside the drum and there is no outward sign of a leak. So pull the drums off to eliminate (or confirm) slave cylinders as a cause.