Ford Mondeo 2.0 diesel titanium - Snapped Fan Belt - TonyE
Hi,

What's the best course of action.......

A while ago my car had water leak into the wiring loom. Ford replaced this and all was well other than a brake light which sometimes worked and sometimes did not. However in the recent hot spell I noticed that my Air Con wasn't working. I was going to drop it into the ford dealership this week, but the car pre-emped this. This morning I was about to set off.....on my first day of a new job and started the car. There was no power steering. After checking under the bonnet I could see the wheels where the belt should have been and the belt at the bottom of my car. Yesterday I drove it the 200+ miles back home from edinburgh - the car worked fine. No odd noises etc but I did notice an odd burning smell when I pulled into the services. Then as I got home I filled it up with fuel. When I started it, there was an odd whirring noise.

Hopefully tis is just a case of a fan belt failing, but my mechanical knowledge is not great! Unfortunately the dealers are on the other side of Manchester to where the car is broken down. Its done 52,000 miles - pretty much all motorway based.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Ford Mondeo 2.0 diesel titanium - Snapped Fan Belt - RobJP

First off, you don't say how old the car is, how long you've had it, if it's under warranty, got full Ford service history ... all useful bits of information. It could be 18 months old with full FordSH, for all we know, in which case Ford will almost certainly be liable for the repairs.

If out of warranty, then I'd suggest getting it in to an independent garage, and getting the fanbelt replaced and everything checked over. It's entirely possible that no lasting damage has been done - motorway runs do a great job of cooling an engine.

Ford Mondeo 2.0 diesel titanium - Snapped Fan Belt - TonyE

Hi RobJP - The car is on a 2010 plate. I've had it 13 months, so the ford extended warranty ran out last month. Ford recently replaced the wiring loom due to water getting into it!

I've had it looked at by a local garage and they are saying that the aircon has seized - the belt will have failed because its been running over a part that won't move. A replacement aircon is £400 and then there is the fitting and everything else. Its fair to say that this car has been a lemon!

Ford Mondeo 2.0 diesel titanium - Snapped Fan Belt - thunderbird

motorway runs do a great job of cooling an engine.

What the OP refers to as a "fan belt" is actually the "auxilliary drive belt". It drives such items as the alternator, air con, power steering (depending on type). This belt has not driven the fan in a British Ford since the Sierra died in about 1992.

Universally cars now have electric fans for cooling.

On motorways the ram air effect cools the engine sufficiently with no need for a fan.

If the belt had come off while driving an idiot light would have illuminated to show that the alternator was not charging. The OP makes no reference to this.

Our Focus needed a new belt after about 4 1/2 years. It was showing signs of cracking. Only cost about £40 including fitting.

Ford Mondeo 2.0 diesel titanium - Snapped Fan Belt - John F

If the belt had come off while driving an idiot light would have illuminated to show that the alternator was not charging. The OP makes no reference to this.

Sounds as though belt was driving the alternator but frying itself on the stiff seizing aircon pulley. That would explain the burning smell - lucky it didn't start an underbonnet fire. It must be a very quiet cabin not to hear something amiss! The sudden start the following morning with a cold virtually immovable pulley did for it.

Our Focus needed a new belt after about 4 1/2 years. It was showing signs of cracking. Only cost about £40 including fitting.

years, though.

Ford Mondeo 2.0 diesel titanium - Snapped Fan Belt - John F

Curious - only two words of my last comment there!

.......This is almost unbelievable. The cam and ribbed belts on our 15yr old 100,000+mile Focus still look fine, although I give them a squirt of belt dressing every couple of years, though.

Ford Mondeo 2.0 diesel titanium - Snapped Fan Belt - Wolfan

What you have been told by the local garage does make sense but ask for the old unit to be left in the boot and then you can check it for yourself or better still go and look at it before the work is started.

I would have thought that a belt travelling over a siezed pulley at speed would have made it's distress obvious with noise, smoke and smell.