Rover Mini MPi - Car restoration poorly completed. - lamb chop

We have had our Rover Mini Mpi restored to cure its severe rust problem. The company involved owned by an individual who advertises himself and has built a long standing business on mini restorations has badly let us down with poor workmanship, items physically removed from the car rather than refitting them even though they worked prior to removal and items poorly fitted and or not working.

Now I know any car that has gone through a restoration will have teathing problems, and I accept this and understand, but unable to select 1st or reverse without the gears grinding ( a new clutch was paid for as the other had oil contamination but selected gears perfectly) Headlight adjuster motors not refitted and the moulding in the headlamp bowls sawn off and covered with white insulation tape (these worked 100% before restoration) a brand new carpet bought from Newton Commercials for the car year and model, being hacked about and fitted with gaps and nothing lining up correctly. The brand new head lining and rear trims again poorly fitted and creased. Overspray on the lower black vinal dash panel taken off with sand paper and ruining the dash, over spray form a black car that was in the same workshop all down the right hand side of our bright red mini. And many more problems from loose mirrors to badly conected foglights, to door lock barrels being loose and falling out to bad fitting doors and bonnet rubing paint off of the rest of the body work. The list is long and that isn't being picky and using a magnifying glass.

I would like to get advice on the correct course of action towards getting this rectified, after spending over £9000 on this car and 14 months of supposed work, we feel very let down and to be honest just ripped off. We thought we were dealing with someone who new what he was doing, we did research him and his company before and found good reports on forums about him and also saw his work by looking at other vehicles in his workshop before we committed ourselves. So we feel very let down and poorly treated as we thought we had chosen someone who actually cared about his workmanship and his customers.

Advice would be very much appriciated.

Rover Mini MPi - Car restoration poorly completed. - alan1302

First thing to k ow is what have they said when you brought this to their attention?

Rover Mini MPi - Car restoration poorly completed. - focussed

My opinion is that because of the amount of money involved you would be wise to employ the services of a qualified engineer to inspect the car and provide a written report and take it from there, whether you decide to go legal after that depends on the attitude of the guy who restored the car.

Rover Mini MPi - Car restoration poorly completed. - SlidingPillar
but unable to select 1st or reverse without the gears grinding ( a new clutch was paid for as the other had oil contamination but selected gears perfectly)

Sounds to me like a classic case of air in the clutch hydralics. If it is, needs rebled. There are a number of tricks for cars that get difficult, but the restorer should be well aware of them.

Rover Mini MPi - Car restoration poorly completed. - Andrew-T

But would you want this guy to try again?