clio dci - Clio 1.5 dci wierd starting problem - truthteller

Hi...my car is driving me maaaaad.......... i have had a problem with starting the car,the engine turns over but will not start,the eng management light comes on along with the STOP and glowplug light.....the wierd thing is that if i jumpstert the car it starts immediately/....i have tried 2 different batteries on the car but the same results??????? i have had a loud squeal from (i think) the alternator on start up which subsides after a few minutes,i suspect its coming from the alternator...(pulley??)

i keep thinking ...replace the alternator......replace the battery......ive searched the t'internet and read that people spend 100s of £££££ replacing this and that.............. the car cost me 400 quid so i aint chucking loads at it.....please...SOMEONE out there MUST have had a similar problem.....i have got a feeling it's summat really simple like a bad earth????? HEEEEELP!!

Hi again.....update........ i decided this morning to disconnect the alternator and give it a go.... bingo! it started........does this mean that it was the alternator causing my problem??? would a duff alternator maybe send out a signal to the sensors and stop the car starting????......................anyone???

clio dci - Clio 1.5 dci wierd starting problem - elekie&a/c doctor

A faulty alternator is not going to prevent the engine from starting.Either the batteries you have are not adequate for the job on a diesel or there are other possible issues with the starter motor or wiring connections.

clio dci - Clio 1.5 dci wierd starting problem - Peter.N.

Check the voltage across the battery with the engine running, you should have around 14.4 volts, much less and your alternator is u/s

Arrrrrgh!!!! bought a new alternator £90 out the thing in and........................NO difference :( that bleedin eng man light still comes on like it's trying to stop me from further damage ??????? a friend of mine had the same problem on a peugot diesel and he changed the Starter motor and it cured it......... i really really hope this isnt the case as the s/motor looks like the b@st@rd of all jobs.........i'm gonna ask a mechanic i know to bring her diag stuff home and see what it finds............ I did actually get a friend to check the battery and alt and they seemed to be ok????? i gave it a go today and it turned and turned but no joy....i connected a spare battery up to the one in the car using jump leads and the car started????????????? starting(pun) to drive(pun) me mad now......................Anyone got any other ideas apart from scrap the thing???...cheers.

Can a starter motor be faulty and stop the car from starting even if it turns at least 20-30 times ????? what can be causing the warning lights to be coming on????? if i get another battery would it be ok to get a much more powerfull one that the ones recommended???

clio dci - Clio 1.5 dci wierd starting problem - dieselnut

It could be the starter motor. The ECU will need to see a certain fuel pressure in the common rail before it will open the injectors.

If the sterter is slow it may not reach that critical fuel pressure.

But guessing can be expensive & the only way forward is to get the codes read & go from there.

A larger capacity battery will be fine.

Thanks for your reply........i have just read about some people having similar problems with their Quashi and their codes point to the fuel regulator sensor...... would that be a possibility with mine??? i am saying that because i did enquire about replacing mine and could get hold of a 2nd hand one for £20...............?????

I did initially suspect the fuel system was at fault but then leant towards the electrical side......................... maybe i'm leaning back towards the fuel side.....gotta laugh...gonna get sea sick at this rate...........