Citroen C5 Mk2 2.0HDi 2005 - Brakes - Henshaw

Went to test a car prior to purchase. Everything good but brakes suspect. Pedal needed pumping and when engine running, pedal very slowly went to floor. Dealer sent car to servicing garage for brake service and bleed. No leaks at master and wheel cylinders were visible. Afterwards, brakes were not much better. Both dealer and serving garage said brakes were fine. I'm still not sure. If there is a fault, what is it likely to be and should I follow my thoughts and reject the car?

Citroen C5 Mk2 2.0HDi 2005 - Brakes - RobJP

Wait. You drove a car, the brakes felt terrible, and you STILL bought it ?

Unfortunately, if the brakes are good enough to pass the MOT, then you can't reject the car. It is 'fit for purpose'.

Citroen C5 Mk2 2.0HDi 2005 - Brakes - slkfanboy

Brake peddle going to the floor is a MOT failure. No visiable leaks may mean there is a master servo fault.

Citroen C5 Mk2 2.0HDi 2005 - Brakes - gordonbennet

Arn't these linked into the suspension hydraulics like BX/CX/Xantia etc?

In which case i haven't the foggiest idea how they work, other than they should be the sharpest brakes you've ever used and the slightest push on the pedal should haul you to a face stretching stop in seconds.

No. They are not like the Xantia (which I had before my current C5). The Xantia like many previous models felt like treading on a brick ie the pedal hardly went down. The C5 (brakes not related to the suspension) feels more like any other car. Believe suspension and steering use same fluid.

Car not bought just tested. My thoughts are its a master cylinder problem AND my thoughts are the trader needs reporting to the trading standards for trying to sell an unroadworthy car. I just needed confirmation from those who might know a bit more about later C5s than I do. I have had a Mk1 2.2 Hdi for 10 years plus and am fairly conversant with that machine and its foibles.

Citroen C5 Mk2 2.0HDi 2005 - Brakes - corax

The Mk2's are a facelifted version of the Mk1's with improved quality, the brakes should be the same type, and are totally separate from the suspension hydraulics.

Try posting in technical, or a Citroen forum.

Citroen C5 Mk2 2.0HDi 2005 - Brakes - RobJP

The OP said that before the work was done, the pedal gradually went to the floor. He also says that afterwards 'it wasn't much better'.

Exactly how much better isn't said. If the pedal no longer goes to the floor, and the brakes work to the MOT pass standard, then the car is 'fit for purpose'.

I'd suggest to the OP that they put the car in for an MOT at an independent garage, and use the fail certificate (if issued) to get the selling garage to repair properly. If it passes the MOT, then I really don't see what they can do.

EDIT : just seen that the OP has not actually bought the car. Simple thing : if not sure, WALK AWAY. Plenty of other cars for sale out there. Don't get fixated on trouble.

Edited by RobJP on 17/04/2015 at 19:04

Citroen C5 Mk2 2.0HDi 2005 - Brakes - Bromptonaut

C5 has conventional servo assisted brakes - not fully powered type like Xantia, BX and earlier ancestors.

If they're not right walk away. If dealer cannot sort stuff like that pre-sale what's he going to be like if you have trouble once he's got your cash?

Citroen C5 Mk2 2.0HDi 2005 - Brakes - gordonbennet

Handy to know about the brakes being standard, never knew that.

I know C5 of that model parking brake works on the front wheels so assumed the system was carried over from Xantia.