Hyundai i30 - Hyundai i30 power steering failure - JanC
My Hyundai i30 has suffered a complete failure in the power steering department and apparently needs a new steering column. Although the car is a 2009 model it's only done 20,000 miles!
On reading reviews on this site I found that 'a few cases of power steering failure' had been reported. The review was dated 2013 and I'm wondering where I might find any further up to day info.? Maybe a lot more owners have experienced this problem in the last couple of years?
I've pleaded with Hyundai to contribute to the repair - due to low mileage and only just being out of Warranty but not holding out much hope. They are 'opening a case'
The problem is due to a break in communication involving a microchip in the steering column.
Dealer has offered me £3k trade in - which is more or less what I still owe on finance!
The job is going to cost around £1400, which I can't afford. Any suggestions please where I might find further evidence to support my case that Hyundai should contribute?
Thanks,
Carless of Torquay ??
Hyundai i30 - Hyundai i30 power steering failure - Auristocrat

Does it have a Hyundai service history?

Not sure - it was originally a motobility car - so for first 3 years it prob was serviced by local Hyundai dealer. I bought the car with 8,000 miles on the clock in October 2012. I've had it serviced at my local (not Hyundai) garage since then. I can't check the earlier service history as all docs are in the car at the dealer's workshop.
The first time the steering failed was about a month ago and Hyundai said they couldn't find anything wrong with it - the RAC had done a repair to get me to the garage.
On Monday it failed again and luckily I was very close to the Hyundai garage and managed to get it there - where it's still parked.
Hyundai i30 - Hyundai i30 power steering failure - Talking Hoarse

My 2010 i30 had a steering column & EPS motor replaced under warranty at about 2 years. I dont think I have heard much talk of failed EPS, but knocks /clonks when turning the steering was well known on some cars. Suggest you trawl the forums or appear to Hyundai UK's better nature (good luck there).

Ed

Hyundai i30 - Hyundai i30 power steering failure - Auristocrat

So it doesn't have a full Hyundai service history.

You're relying on Hyundai's goodwill to assist you, yet you haven't shown Hyundai goodwill by having the car serviced by their dealers.

I see your point but I didn't buy it from the Hyundai dealer, I bought it from my local garage and that's where I had it serviced.
Hyundai i30 - Hyundai i30 power steering failure - RobJP

Sorry to say it, but, as others have said : It's out of warranty, and you've pretty much negated any chance of goodwill by having it serviced outside of the dealer network.

In addition, if you are hoping to show that it was faulty / prone to failure from new, then the simple fact that it has lasted since 2009 rather destroys your own argument, I'm afraid.

Hyundai i30 - Hyundai i30 power steering failure - Gordon17

I read this today as we have an i30.

Got home just now to find a Recall Notice for "Potential Concern with Power Steering Torque Sensor". It's for 2009-2010 Model Year i30s.

It says that they will install a software upgrade, then test the sensor. And if it fails the test a new sensor will be fitted. All free of charge.

Ours has a full Hyundai Service History but is out of warranty.

There is a number on the letter for their Recall Helpline 0344 346 0123 - might be worth giving them a call to see if your vehicle is one of those recalled. Our letter refers to the car by VIN so I would have that handy as well as your registration number.

Hyundai i30 - Hyundai i30 power steering failure - Andrew-T

If there is now an official recall, you may be in with a chance, whether or not the car is in warranty or has been serviced elsewhere?

Gordon17
Thank you so much for this information! I will be ringing them on Monday.

Edited by JanC on 17/04/2015 at 21:50

Hyundai i30 - Hyundai i30 power steering failure - scouse_mouse

I've had this letter too and my car is booked into local dealer tomorrow morning to be assessed.

Incidentally though, a couple years ago the ESP warning light on my car came on. Took it to a (different) dealer who said the code stored was related to the steering angle sensor but that it would prefer to reset the sensor to begin with as the cost of replacing the whole power steering module was circa £1500.

The light hasn't gone off again since but I will be bringing this up with the dealer tomorrow.

I've always had my car serviced by one of two hyundai dealers but it is now 3 months out of warranty.

I'll post back the outcome of tomorrow mornings investigations.

Hyundai i30 - Hyundai i30 power steering failure - scouse_mouse

My car was in for 45 mins this morning for the new software update to be applied, no ill effects yet....

Hyundai i30 - Hyundai i30 power steering failure - Katzmother
I had my i30 fixed for free about 2 months ago and although I wasn't aware of a recall, it was done for free, not under any warranty. Sadly today the same fault occurred, dangerous when the steering wheel is virtually wrenched from your control. More inconvenience as I can't drive it to the garage and I'm without a car.