Fuels and their money - advice from HJ - brum
Taken from HJ's agony column...

Fuels and their money

I remember reading the advantages you suggested from using the higher grade of petrol: more MPG and cleaner engine, etc. However, on our local radio station a so-called expert stated that using the higher grade of petrol was only beneficial to those with high performance cars and would be a waste of money in a standard everyday car. I have been filling up alternatively with the standard and higher grades in my Citroen which has yet to reach 70,000 miles. Your opinion would be appreciated.

NG, Gosport

The man on your local radio station was living in the past. All new cars are optimised and calibrated for the ECDC economy and CO2 lab tests on the highest grade fuels available, which are usually Shell V-Power Nitro Plus petrol and diesel. Consequently, if you use an inferior fuel, the performance of the engine and its fuel economy and emissions will be inferior

Is HJ correct? I feel not.

Fuels and their money - advice from HJ - alan1302

My cars manual says it's fine on 'normal' grade petrol. I can understand that the higher grade is better in fast/sports cars but a normal car the only benefit would be to help keep it cleaner inside but I don'tthink even that would make much of a difference.

Fuels and their money - advice from HJ - RobJP

I can say for definite that in the case of BMW, HJ is correct.

Taken from here : www.bmw.co.uk/en_GB/new-vehicles/3/saloon/2011/eng...l

Rated output: BMW recommends the use of super unleaded 95 RON fuel. Unleaded RON 91 fuel or higher with a maximum ethanol limit of 10 percent (E10) is also permitted. The performance and fuel consumption rates listed are based on the use of RON 98 fuel.

Fuels and their money - advice from HJ - alan1302

I can say for definite that in the case of BMW, HJ is correct.

Taken from here : www.bmw.co.uk/en_GB/new-vehicles/3/saloon/2011/eng...l

Rated output: BMW recommends the use of super unleaded 95 RON fuel. Unleaded RON 91 fuel or higher with a maximum ethanol limit of 10 percent (E10) is also permitted. The performance and fuel consumption rates listed are based on the use of RON 98 fuel.

95 RON is normally the 'normal' unleaded but notice it calls it super unleaded on there.

Fuels and their money - advice from HJ - concrete

I an not a chemist, but speak from personal experience. Several years ago my daughter bought a very nice 1.6 petrol engined Golf. After a few weeks or so of her 45 mile round trip to work, mainly on dual carriageways, she complained the engine sounded odd and the car was sluggish. She did say that she filled up at a cheap filling station near her work with a brand of which I had not heard. So I advised her go and brim the tank with Shell Super V and do that for several weeks before then moving onto standard Shell petrol. Lo and behold the engine started to become responsive and the odd noises disappeared. Also she experienced a decent decrease in fuel consumption, which wiped out any saving on cheaper fuel. QED.

Cheers Concrete

Fuels and their money - advice from HJ - Ethan Edwards

I can personally confirm what I read on the Toyota Hybrid froum. Hybrids will get up to 10% more mpg on Super unleaded. And I can also confirm a Yaris Hybrid is definitely not defined as a 'High Powered Sports Car'.

So it is true but the Super Unleaded is more costly. Experiment done I still run my Hybrid on Asda El Boggo standard unleaded. With an occasional snort of the good stuff once a month.

Fuels and their money - advice from HJ - The Gingerous One

I run my 3L Jag XF on Shell Nitro+ unleaded and it pulls better, and also I can see an improvement of up to 10% in fuel economy (when compared to normal UL)

e.g. around town, normal UL, c.20mpg. with Shell Nitro+ it's about 22mpg. Consistently.

So for the moment, I am sticking with Shell Nitro+.

Of course, I cannot say that I will always see a 10% improvment, otherwise that would mean that the one time I saw an indicated average of 34mpg over c.200 miles (no air con, sat at about 75mph on m/way, very little slowing) when using normal UL, I *might* see c.37mpg with Shell Nitro+ UL.......Hmmm somewhat unlikely !!

Fuels and their money - advice from HJ - thunderbird

Since super unleaded became available in our area I have tried it in several of my cars and can say without a doubt it has made no difference in the way the car runs, drives or its fuel economy.

Same applies to super diesel as well.

But none of our cars has had anything other than 95 octane or standard diesel recomended by the manufacturer. If it was a requirement to use the super stuff the story may well be different.

So IMHO use ordinary petrol and diesel unless the manufacturer states in the manual the super stuff is needed.

People moan when fuel goes up a few pence a litre but many are quite happy to spend about 6p a litre more just to get no benefit.

Just to add all our regular fill ups are at Supermarkets, when we go away and have to use "branded" fuels the cars run just the same and do the same mpg.

Fuels and their money - advice from HJ - craig-pd130

With petrol, it's relatively simple: premium petrol is higher octane (usually 97 - 99) than standard (95), which some engines can take advantage of by advancing ignition timing, upping boost pressure to get more power / more economy.

But with diesel it's a hugely contentious issue, and the oil companies themselves don't do anything to clarify the situation by giving any easily-accessible facts about the actual specs of their fuels.

For example, Shell V-Power Nitro+ diesel is, according to Shell: "formulated with a powerful cleaning agent, designed to prevent and remove performance robbing engine deposits that can be left behind by non-premium fuels. Our advanced formulation is designed to work under the extreme conditions of the fuel injection system, breaking down and cleaning-away harmful gunky deposits."

Fair enough.

But Shell's own blurb for its regular-priced FuelSave diesel is: "FuelSave is designed to help improve your engine’s performance, and enable your vehicle to run more efficiently. It contains a powerful detergent, designed to help clean up and control harmful fuel system deposits in fuel injection equipment in modern diesel cars, helping to restore engine performance."

Isn’t that what they say about V-Power Nitro+ too? So does the latter have more detergent? A different, better detergent? Magic pixie dust? Shell doesn’t say.

A while back I managed to track down Shell’s own material data sheets on both its FuelSave and V-Power diesels that are retailed in the UK. The data made interesting reading:

Cetane number (typical value): 51 to 53 (V-Power); 53 to 55 (FuelSave)

Cetane index (typical value): 51 to 53 (V-Power); 53 to 55 (FuelSave)

EVERY other parameter – from Sulphur content, flashpoint, carbon residue, ash, water, particulate matter, lubricity etc, was EXACTLY the same between V-Power and FuelSave (for the sake of clarity, the V-Power specs are for the old V-Power, not the current Nitro+ branded stuff).

But the point stands: according to Shell’s own data sheets, the bog-standard FuelSave diesel has a slightly higher cetane number than the costly equivalent. Cetane isn’t everything when it comes to diesel, but a higher cetane value is generally accepted as a good thing.

And if they claim that both diesel fuels do a great job of cleaning up deposits, but don’t say exactly what’s different between them, and one costs nearly 7% more, which one are you going to use?

Fuels and their money - advice from HJ - Theophilus

I'm coming late to this thread ... but would endorse the opinions of the "not worth while" brigade. I have seen no evidence of improved economy / engine performance when using Shell VPower Nitro+ diesel in my Toyota Verso 1.6 D-4D (nor in my previous cars).

However, influenced by Honest John's consistent endorsements of its supposed advantages, I thought I would revert to filling with Nitro+ on my last trip to my local Shell. I inserted the Nitro+ nozzle, but before commencing the fill-up noticed to my horror that the difference in price over standard Shell diesel was an astronomical 15p per litre (118.9 v 103.9). I was expecting a premium of 6p per litre as it had been a few months ago, but even if it were to offer marginal improvements in economy (which it has not done in my experience) there is no way I would consider buying it at such a price premium.

Fuels and their money - advice from HJ - Benet

the difference in price over standard Shell diesel was an astronomical 15p

I've noticed this galloping inflation in the dearer fuel recently (cunningly disguised by the general lowering of prices) and started a new thread on the subject called 'Prices for Higher Octane'

Edited by Benet on 19/01/2016 at 22:11