Xsara Picasso 2007 Petrol 1.6 - whining noise - ivesy999
This has been happening for a few months now. When I start the engine there's this whining noise which also happens (louder when I accelerate) when I'm driving. I've put up with it as the car seems to be driving ok. That was until friday when an RAC patrolman was called out for another problem but noticed the whining noise. He looked under the bonnect and checked the pulleys and p/steering fluid and they were fine. He got me to turn the wheel with the engine on and it didn't seem to get any worse while I was doing that. Anyway I took it to my garage who said it was the power steering but I'm confused that it happens when I'm not turning the wheel? I'm not the most mechanical but this doesn't make sense. The garahge are saying there's no urgent rush to get it done as I've had the noise for a few months now but to take it in if it get's any worse. Any ideas if this is right? I'm going to ring them (the garage) later to confirm exactly what the problem is as I have a warranty which says the power steering is covered. I'm just very confused!
Xsara Picasso 2007 Petrol 1.6 - whining noise - slkfanboy

The power steering pump runs all the time so it may well be that!

yes the garage has just rang and said they would be looking to replace the pump. My warranty says the pump is covered but I have to book the car in to an approved Halfords Autocentre tomorrow for them to look at to confirm.

It should be covered though shouldn't it?....

Disaster, the garage have said the fluid for the power steering is incorrect. It should be a pinky colour but this is amber and 'feels' like brake fluid!!!!!!

They are going to drain it off and replace with the correct fluid to see if that works if not then the whole of the power steering could be affected.

I'm gutted I've asked if this could have happened during a service but they say no. I'll check my invoices whenI get in but to my knowledge I've never had any work done to the steering. any ideas

saying that when I google what colour should it be you can get amber! So now i don't know what to think. The guy at Halfords said ATX fluid should be pink/redish but that's assuming this fluid was used? gutted

Xsara Picasso 2007 Petrol 1.6 - whining noise - Crraziegirl

Did you manage to sort this issue? My 2002 xsara Picasso 1.8 just started squeling last night, it seems to quieten but not stop when the clutch is compressed but gets louder on acceleration. Please help... This car is a money pit and I always seem to get shafted by garages.

Xsara Picasso 2007 Petrol 1.6 - whining noise - taxi mack

just replaced the belt idlers and tensioner all is ok now