Hyundai i10 or Peugeot 108 - Please help: Buying first car - angelofmusique

Hi,

I am a newly qualified driver looking to buy my first car. I have only basic knowledge of what to look out for having only really driven a Citreon DS3 1.6 litre diesel, therefore I was hoping for some advice here.

I am interested in two cars, both only 1 year old, reasonably cheap to run and with low mileage: a Hyundai i10 1.2 litre 4 cylinder car and a Peugeot 108 1 litre 3 cylinder.

The Peugeot is somewhat cheaper despite being almost new, but from what I understand it is not rated as highly as the Hyundai. I have test driven them in town and on the dual carriageway and enjoyed driving both cars. Now I am stuck between the two. Can anyone offer their thoughts? I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Edited by angelofmusique on 12/04/2015 at 18:43

Hyundai i10 or Peugeot 108 - Please help: Buying first car - RobJP

The Hyundai. Mainly because of the warranty, which (on a 1 year old car) has 4 years left to run. On a Peugeot, you've only got 2 years cover remaining.

Whatever you go for, make absolutely certain that servicing has been done on time/to mileage, so that the warranty is intact. Then read up what you need to do to keep it covered, and make sure you get any work done as it needs to be.

Lastly, welcome, and good motoring !

Hyundai i10 or Peugeot 108 - Please help: Buying first car - daveyjp
If you like the Peugeot, forget both and go for an Aygo. Same car as the Pug, but much better dealers than Pug or Hyundai and you will also get a five year warranty.
Hyundai i10 or Peugeot 108 - Please help: Buying first car - Bianconeri
If you like the Peugeot, forget both and go for an Aygo. Same car as the Pug, but much better dealers than Pug or Hyundai and you will also get a five year warranty.

Or if you live near me buy a Citroen C1, same car as the 108 and Aygo but the dealer is not arrogant and unhelpful.

Thank you for replying so quickly. It's a good point concerning the warranty, but the Peugeot dealers have already said that they will match it roughly for the same price as the Hyundai.

Hyundai i10 or Peugeot 108 - Please help: Buying first car - Auristocrat

Presumably the Peugeot dealer will match the warranty by charging you for a two year warranty extension - which won't provide the same coverage as the Hyundai new car warranty, plus you will be limited to having the servicing during the warranty extension, done by Peugeot dealers (Block Exemption doesn't apply to extended warranties).

Think my choice would be to go with the Hyundai (you will also get four years breakdown cover with the Hyundai warranty), or have a look at the new generation Toyota Aygo. That way with either the Hyundai or Toyota, you will have the remainder of the manufacturer's new car warranty - around four years in both cases.

I've driven both the new Aygo and the i10 - they're both good cars.

The 1.2 Hyundai would be happier on the motorway or for distance journeys than either the 108 or the Aygo.

Hyundai i10 or Peugeot 108 - Please help: Buying first car - oldtoffee

>>>>The 1.2 Hyundai would be happier on the motorway or for distance journeys than either the 108 or the Aygo.

agreed, we have one and like it a lot. We tested a Citigo with a 60bhp engine and although fine around town didn't like the lack of any go at motorway speeds. The i10 was 7 months old and £2k less and 17 months more warranty than a new Citigo. Light controls, good gearbox, the engine revs brilliantly and at around 4,000 rpm it picks up extra steam and zips along. Boring to look at but I like driving it and I hated the 100bhp duallogic Fiat 500 we had before.

Hyundai i10 or Peugeot 108 - Please help: Buying first car - Bladerrw

I have a 2011 i10 (1.2 manual). It is my second i10. They have been generally good. I've dealt with 3 dealers and they were all fine.

It's a fun car to drive in town and on the motorway. When I was choosing the i10 beat all the Citroen/Toyota/Peugeot offerings in some way - specification, 4 doors, warranty, price - but things may have changed.

It's pretty comfortable and has the most headroom I've ever had in a car despite being the smallest.

I've never managed to get more than 42 mpg but it does get used for a lot of short journeys to work and around town.

Thanks again everyone for their feedback so far. I am torn as some say go for the Hyundai for its 1.2 litre 4 cylinder engine as this means it will be more powerful and comfortable, whereas others insist that the Peugeot is a good deal being almost new and just 7500 and will be adequate for my needs.

I have contacted Hyundai to see what their best offer is. Hopefully then I can decide between them...

Edited by angelofmusique on 13/04/2015 at 17:23

Hyundai i10 or Peugeot 108 - Please help: Buying first car - Avant

This one depends on what your motoring is like. If it's mainly in town, the 107/C1/Aygo will do you fine, although I agree with the point above about Toyota's extra two years of warranty.

If you do a lot of open-road driving, go for the Hyundai with the 1.2 engine. After four Toyota Yarises, my elder daughter has had an i10 for three years and another is on order. It's done her fine - no problems and powerful enough on motorways while very nippy in town.

Hyundai i10 or Peugeot 108 - Please help: Buying first car - daveyK_UK

If you decide on a 108 go for the Citroen (cheaper and exactly the same) or Toyota(longer warranty and exactly the same).

The Peugeot should be your last choice.

Hyundai i10 or Peugeot 108 - Please help: Buying first car - gordonbennet

If you decide on a 108 go for the Citroen (cheaper and exactly the same) or Toyota(longer warranty and exactly the same).

Mind you the latest Aygo has looks only a mother could love, no matter how good the car or how cheap i couldn't bring meself.

I see your point regarding the price, but this particular Peugeot 108 is in stock clearance thus my interest. I have looked into Toyota, but there are not any cheaper cars of similiar age and mileage in my area. I also prefer the appearance of the Peugeot. There's only £500 between it and the Hyundai, although I think I will see if Peugeot are willing to make that gap any larger. If not, it may be that Hyundai's more powerful engine decides for me as so many people seem to think this makes all the difference.

Right now the Peugeot's advantages are that it is slightly cheaper with free road tax, only 3000 mileage (the i10 is 8000) and more spec (e.g. hill start assist, bluetooth etc.). In contrast the Hyundai has more power, 4 years warranty, slightly more comfort and space.

Edited by angelofmusique on 14/04/2015 at 14:56

Hyundai i10 or Peugeot 108 - Please help: Buying first car - galileo

Right now the Peugeot's advantages are that it is slightly cheaper with free road tax, only 3000 mileage (the i10 is 8000) and more spec (e.g. hill start assist, bluetooth etc.). In contrast the Hyundai has more power, 4 years warranty, slightly more comfort and space.

If you are competent at hill starts, you don't need 'assist', which is not a technology proved durable/reliable over long periods. I would give greater weight to 4 years warranty than features like hillstart assist and bluetooth (how essential is bluetooth anyway, using it is likely to divert your concentration from driving)

Hyundai i10 or Peugeot 108 - Please help: Buying first car - gordonbennet

We're dinosaurs Galileo.

Hyundai i10 or Peugeot 108 - Please help: Buying first car - galileo

We're dinosaurs Galileo.

Maybe so, GB, but the dinosaurs were successful for many millions of years, homo sapiens hasn't yet managed one million.

Hyundai i10 or Peugeot 108 - Please help: Buying first car - Andrew-T

If making this decision is so agonising, you may take so long making it that both cars will have sold - tho I suppose if no-one else buys them the price may drop further ...

In the end, no car will tick all your boxes, and the one you don't buy may tick some that the other doesn't. Toss a coin if all else fails. Or cycle, or walk ....

Hyundai i10 or Peugeot 108 - Please help: Buying first car - scot22

I fully understand OPs dilemma. She has simply asked for advice and always responded promptly.

Three years ago I made a car buying mistake which, if I'd known about the forum, I could have avoided.

If she doesn't get either of these she will have improved her knowledge which I think is one of the main reasons for a forum.

Three years ago I made a car buying mistake which, if I'd known about the forum, I could have avoided.

If she doesn't get either of these she will have improved her knowledge which I think is one of the main reasons for a forum.

That's really my point. A mistake can always be made in buying almost any car, especially from a trader who knows nothing about one he has not owned (he may well know about the model, but not any individual snags). Even after half an hour's test drive it may not be easy to tell if the seats are comfortable on a long trip, for example. I once kept a very nice car for only two months, simply because it didn't fit me.

Anyway the world is full of cars for sale, so don't fret over missing a bargain. Another will be along in a day or two.

I fully understand OPs dilemma. She has simply asked for advice and always responded promptly.

Sorry my post went in twice by mistake.

I agree with you Andrew, especially re car salesmen and motoring needs. A diesel was unsuitable and unwittingly I bought it - it proved an expensive lesson, dpf, dmf etc.

My purpose really was to commend OP for having the good sense to ask on this forum, which has many knowledgeable contributors, I wish I had. I know I have learned a lot since I started visiting here.

As you say, good car buys will, in most cases come, again so no worry.

Glad you've found the forujm helpful, Scot, and thank you for saying so.

Would you care to tell us what your car buying mistake was? That could be very helpful - for example was it a bad car or was it just not right for you?

Would you care to tell us what your car buying mistake was? That could be very helpful - for example was it a bad car or was it just not right for you?

I thought he just did, Avant ? :-)

I know he bought a diesel and wished he hadn't - I'd just be interested in what make / model sort of car it was.

Pressed for time - need to be out in a minute.

There are more details ( simple stupidity ) which I'll post tonight and start a new thread - wandering too far from OP

And it's a very interesting thread too - thanks Scot.

I now own an almost new Hyundai i10 SE 1.2. Thanks everyone for their advice!

Good choice going for the 1.2. Best of luck with it: when you've had it for a few thousand miles, come back and tell us how you get on with it.