skoda superb 1.9tdi pd130 - manual gear selector - concrete

Having received sound advice previously, here I am again in need of some guidance.

My trusty 192K, 10 year old chariot has been the best car I have had, by miles....

Recently it has been proving difficult to engage the gear stick. First is a problem when stationary, third to fourth when moving. Fourth to third is very hard when moving. Reverse does seem to engage but it doesn't feel right although the car does reverse.

Serviced to the book, well maintained. Original clutch, but I have never had to replace a clutch on any vehicle I owned in the past 48 years, including high milers. Wondering what it is so I can maybe have a go myself or at least not be taken in by a garage.

PS Many years ago I recall a similar problem on a Vauxhall. The remedy was a metal bush costing pennies but the labour was over 2 hours.

Any comments/advice welcomed.

Cheers Concrete

skoda superb 1.9tdi pd130 - manual gear selector - hardway

First thing to check is wear in the selector quadrents,

Get help selecting gears while you look where the cables above the gearbox connect with the pivoted "L" shaped metal quadrent changes the cable movement into the selector.

I guessing your going to see quite some movement on the pivot point of the "L" selector.

skoda superb 1.9tdi pd130 - manual gear selector - 659FBE

Greetings Concrete, sorry to hear you're having problems at such a young mileage.

Ignore, I'm afraid the comments in the previous post above. Your car has no gear cables as it is an inline N-S transmission (Audi derived). The rod linkage is simple and trouble free. The 5 speed transmissions are also trouble free.

I suspect you have a clutch problem. There will be no gear crunching, just obstruction as all gears including reverse are synchronised on this transmission. I find this really handy for manoevering a trailer.

First check the clutch hydraulics for air. There is a bleed nipple on top of the slave cylinder - don't overtighten it. Secondly, check that the clutch really does fail to disengage by rolling the car down a hill in gear with the clutch pressed. There should be no resistance, and the engine should not turn. These cars roll really easily.

Finally, if all else fails, there is a known weakness in the clutch arm, which wears through at the ball pivot at the bottom. This prevents full clutch disengagement. A new one costs peanuts - but it's in the bellhousing...

Let us know how you get on - my Superb is a few miles behind yours.

I stand corrected 659FBE,

it is a rod change,

nevertheless,

The rod does operate a quadrant or bell crank,

Which in turn pivots on a bush.stud screwed int the top of the box,

Which then connects via U/J to the selector/s

And experience of a number of these leads me to suspect the bell crank bushes.

Taxis,and high milage ones at that but it's a no cost test and a starting point.

I even taped one up insulting tape and greased it as a stop gap until Monday,

Not ideal but taxi drivers don't like loosing fares!

A no cost check.

And again from experience,failure of the release bearing which is under the pressed steel plate on the far outer emd of the gesrbox.

Or the push rod that operates from it right down the center of the box.

Usual symptoms are as O/P plus fluid leak from the slave as it overextends.

But for preferance I like to check things that don't cost me or my customers money first.

So watching a bell crank while an assistant works the gears can't hurt.

skoda superb 1.9tdi pd130 - manual gear selector - concrete

Thank you hardway, got a friend coming round tomorrow and we will have a good look at that before venturing to remove all the trim surrounding the gear lever.

Cheers Concrete

skoda superb 1.9tdi pd130 - manual gear selector - 659FBE

Sorry hardway, you're describing an old generation VAG transverse transmission with a clutch pushrod. The Mk1 Superb is completely different and bears no relation to this in any form whatsoever. Mechanically, it's a B5.5 Passat/A4 Audi. The engine and gearbox are longitudinally mounted in the chassis.

The gearchange rod goes straight into the transmission - there's nothing else visible other than the reaction rod to the shift lever boss. All of the remaining linkage and selectors are inside the transmission and are clean and lubricated. The selector shafts even have ball bearing bushes for low wear and friction. These (5 speed) transmissions don't give trouble.

The hydraulically actuated clutch (with DMF) is fully conventional with a slave cylinder on top of the transmission.

I stand corrected again.