BMW 5 Series Touring - Better to buy "popular" model of car? - Andy_

Hi

Does anyone have an opinion if it will be easier or harder when the time comes to sell a "less popular" model?

E.g. One car I am looking at is a 5 series Touring. Today on Autotrader there are 86 "new & nearly new" 520s but only 8 530s and 7 535s.

Are 520s only attractive for lease/company car buyers so less attractive second hand? Whereas the opposite is true of the 530/535?

Generalising, when buying nearly new and in terms of ease of resale, is it better to buy the high end model or the entry level model?

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Andy

BMW 5 Series Touring - Better to buy "popular" model of car? - Brian Tryzers
Better to buy the car that actually suits you, I'd suggest. The 520d (I presume that's the one you meant) sells in huge numbers because it's smart, spacious, comfortable, quick enough for most, yet very light on fuel and reasonably affordable in other areas (even the VED that some here obsess about.) No-one needs any more than that in a 5, and not many want more enough to pay the extra for a 530d or 535d. Those models take you out of the mainstream and into a niche, which inevitably means they'll be harder to sell later, because there are fewer potential buyers. But of you want one enough and go in with your eyes open, why not?

But I think the distinction to make is not between top and bottom-end models, so much as mainstream and niche. The niche might even work in your favour: buyers might consider several mainstream models, but someone looking for a Golf GTI isn't going to be impressed by a 1.6 SE. But you have to pick your niche; that reasoning won't work with a Hyundai!

I'd say if you're worried, go low-mainstream or properly niche. When I was shopping for a Mercedes estate, there were lots of E220s and a fair smattering of V6 E320s, but almost none of the inbetween E280, probably because it carries the fuel consumption penalty of the V6 without the full performance benefit of the E320. I bought an E220 because it was all I reasonably needed; three years later I've occasionally thought a V6 would have been nice, but not so much that I wish I'd paid the extra for one. I don't suppose the E220 will be hard to sell when the time comes.
BMW 5 Series Touring - Better to buy "popular" model of car? - Simon
I agree, buy the car you want, not the one you may sell.

Thanks for your thoughts. It is a conundrum. On the one hand in a 520 I'll be day dreaming of a 530/5 and on the other in a 530/5 I'll wondering if the extra money was really worth it. Head vs heart. Needs vs wants.

I've not decided yet but I expect it will be the 520 after all.. There seem to be some good deals at the moment.

BMW 5 Series Touring - Better to buy "popular" model of car? - NARU

For what it's worth, my opinion is: If you want to buy a BMW you might as well buy a 6-cylinder one, and really enjoy it.

If you want a 4-cylinder you might as well buy a more mainstream car.

I loved my 330d.

BMW 5 Series Touring - Better to buy "popular" model of car? - RobJP

I've not had one of the current generation of 5 series, mainly because I have estates, and SWMBO reckons this version is so large it's like driving a hea rse. (had to edit, HJ doesn't like that word)

However, I did test drive a 520d for a couple of days in 2013, and found it wonderfully refined. You can tell it's only a 4 pot, rather than a 6, but that makes almost no difference to everyday driving.

Do also remember that the current 2.0d BMW engines are putting out similar BHP/torque figures to the 3.0 from 10 years ago.

Edited by RobJP on 09/04/2015 at 20:21

BMW 5 Series Touring - Better to buy "popular" model of car? - slkfanboy

For sure you love a 520d or 530d which every you choose. The question being will it be hard to sell due to the low numbers available.

Basically no. A car like a ford focus where there are 1000s on sail oe the time become hard to sell if the are high mile or bad condition, further because the a many ex company high milage cars the price of good condition car is reduced. Simple supply and demand.

Less car being available makes for more better prices.

I have test driven a 520d and I agree it did feel nice and refined. With a surprising kick to it but as I was in london I wasn't on the open road. As I have a 4x4 right now it didn't seem too large in comparsion and I'm used to looking for parking spaces the size of a bus..