Renault Clio II - Recommendations for bluetooth OBD2 port reader - MarcusC

I've got an issue with my Mk2 Clio misfiring/running uneven when starting from cold.

I've taken it to a garage a few times but they've not been able to find any fault code so either the fault isn't generating a code or other codes have pushed the fault codes out of the ECU's memory (I've left it overnight once but the temperature the following moring was too warm for the fault to show up).

I was thinking if getting a cheap OBD2 port diagnostic unit, preferably bluetooth along with a bluetooth OBD2 App - There doesn't seem much point paying for a dedicated DBD2 diagnostic unit when my (Android) smartphone can perform the same function.

Does anyone have any recommendations for such a unit & associated App?

I've found these which look OK:

www.amazon.co.uk/Supper-Bluetooth-Compatible-Andro...t

play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.prowl.to...e

Renault Clio II - Recommendations for bluetooth OBD2 port reader - Railroad.
Firstly there are some points you need to understand. Your car's engine control module is a computer, and like any other computer it cannot think, it cannot reason, and it cannot apply common sense. It follows a program, and it follows it exactly to the letter. This means that fault codes will only be logged when something falls outside the parameters of that program, and not necessarily when you suspect something may be wrong with the running of the engine. I hope that is clear.

It would help you enormously if you did some research on how the EOBD system monitors information and how and why fault codes are set, as well as what they mean. It would also be a benefit to you to learn about the EOBD readiness monitors, fuel system status, live data, freeze frame data, fuel trim and oxygen sensor information.

EOBD is engine emission data only. And although all modern cars are EOBD compliant, and all use one of a handful of protocols, some manufacturers offer more information than others. You will not be able to read ABS, Airbag, Instruments or other data which is manufacturer specific with an EOBD scantool.

From what I have read Bluetooth devices are readily available for Android smartphones but seem to be quite limited for iOS.
Renault Clio II - Recommendations for bluetooth OBD2 port reader - jc2

Make sure whatever you get is EOBD compliant-it is very similar to OBDII but it is not identical.

Renault Clio II - Recommendations for bluetooth OBD2 port reader - Wackyracer

Firstly you don't say what the year or engine type your vehicle is so it is not possible to say if it would work or not.

Simple OBD2 readers are very limited and often do not work that well.

Renault Clio II - Recommendations for bluetooth OBD2 port reader - MarcusC

I have a late 2001 Clio II 1.4 16v

Renault Clio II - Recommendations for bluetooth OBD2 port reader - Wackyracer

I have a late 2001 Clio II 1.4 16v

That should be EOBD2 compliant but, you'll still be unable to read manufacturer specific codes.

Renault Clio II - Recommendations for bluetooth OBD2 port reader - Cyd

Go to the Google Play store and search for Torque pro. the Torque description page gives advice on bluetooth adaptors. Torque Pro is about £3 and I paid about £20 for an adaptor. It works very well and is worth having for the cost. However, it may not help you because it only reads what's in your ecu, which may not be storing a fault code for the fault you are experiencing.

My Saab 9-3 petrol runs like a bag of spanners from cold for about 15 seconds and then smooths out. the usual cause is worn inlet valves. A cold followed by a hot compression test is required to confirm. I'm waiting the delivery of a new compression tester - old faithful has gone walkabout. i'm also buying a cheap endoscope so i can look at the valves via the plug holes.

this is a common problem on these engines built in 2006 and 2007 and is caused by a metalurgical problem with the valve material. Only inlet valves are affected.

if your problem is similarly mechanical in nature, then you will get no fault code in the ECU (as I do not either).

Renault Clio II - Recommendations for bluetooth OBD2 port reader - hardway

No codes doesn't mean no faults,

It means all sensor data is within manufacturers limits.

So no scanner is going to be any help.

Though Renaults "Can clip" would be my choice.

A good tech would be able to read live data stream information and have a better idea of just what it's doing.

But sometimes its back to basic mechanics,

that said I'd start with a cold engine compression test.