Reusing an old tyre - brum

Opinions gentlemen,

Continental ECO contact 3 tyre supplied as OE on a Fabia (rear) in May 2004. At 2.5 years/15000 miles, removed from alloy rim and put into storage in garage - stood upright. Approx 5.5mm in good condition.

Now its 10.5 years old and been put back on its alloy rim - condition looks good, no cracking visible.

Is it still safe to use (as a rear wheel on the same Fabia)?

Reusing an old tyre - skidpan

May look OK outside but you have no way of seeing any possible deterioration within the carcase.

Current industry advice is to replace tyres when they are 10 years old regardless of remaining tread but not to repair or refit tyres over 6 years old again regardless of the tread.

Considering the cost of a new tyres (mid range are about or less than a tank of fuel) is it worth the risk and possible consequences to you and other road users.

But remember that altough the car was new in 2004 it does not mean the tyre was made at the same time. We had a Nissan Micra some years ago, brand new car and it had not been standing, vissible date on most components was only a month before we got it. The tyres were 2 years old.

Edited by skidpan on 17/03/2015 at 16:29

Reusing an old tyre - RobJP

No way in hell would I use a 10+ year-old tyre. Scrap it - preferably by cutting a big slice out of it, so that someone else doesn't use it.

Reusing an old tyre - Brian Tryzers
It's probably ok. Probably. But it's certainly not as good as a new Continental, and it's been standing upright for eight years with no air or wheel to help support its weight, so who knows what that's done to the internal structure? It's almost half-worn already, so what are you gaining? 3mm of wear on a tyre that won't match anything else on the car.

If it had been stored properly, in controlled conditions, I might consider it as a one-use get-me-home spare. But to risk so much for so little financial gain? No. I wouldn't put it on the car.

Edited by Brian Tryzers on 17/03/2015 at 16:52

Reusing an old tyre - Andrew-T

If the tyre has been kept cool and dark, I doubt that it will have suffered serious deterioration. Compared with a tyre on a car, which gets warmer whenever the car is driven and whenever the sun shines on it; never mind the rapid flexing under load, which stretches and compresses the sidewalls, encouraging micro-cracking.

If tyres are 'safe' for 5 or more years under those conditions, they are certainly safe after careful storage, preferably on a wheel to keep in shape. I have used 20-year-old tyres showing no surface cracking without incident or worry - and without comment from MoT testers. Probably the most significant change may be a hardening of the rubber, affecting grip.

Edited by Andrew-T on 17/03/2015 at 17:18

Reusing an old tyre - madf

Steel wire deforms when stored for a long time in one position. Then you get steel breakages under stress.

Tyres are made with steel wires.

Recipe for blowouts. (been there.. not fun)

Steel wire deforms when stored for a long time in one position. Then you get steel breakages under stress.

Please explain to us what deformation takes place when the steel wires are not under stress - which you imply does not occur when those same wires are being regularly stressed when the tyre is driven?

Reusing an old tyre - Brian Tryzers
Thought experiment time. Think of an elastic band. Lay it out flat on the table and you can arrange it into a rough circle. Now try to stand it up. It collapses, right?

A tyre shell is like that elastic band, so to maintain its shape it's given a steel or Kevlar skeleton. Stand the tyre up and it doesn't collapse - although it wants to - because the skeleton is strong enough to resist. What it's resisting is stress.

When the tyre is fitted to a wheel the wheel reinforces the skeleton and shares the stress. Filling the tyre with pressurized air helps even more. And the stresses that remain are evened out when the wheel is being used on a vehicle because its orientation with respect to gravity is different every time it stops.

None of these mitigations apply to a tyre that's stored upright, without a wheel and without air. The skeleton has had to support a load it was not designed to take, for eight years at a stretch, and all in the same direction. It might be fine - there's bound to be a degree of over-engineering - but is it a risk worth taking to save 40 quid?

Final thought: I know a forum like this develops into a bit of a community but how good an idea would it really be to decide that a tyre was safe based on the word of some bloke on the Internet?
I know a forum like this develops into a bit of a community but how good an idea would it really be to decide that a tyre was safe based on the word of some bloke on the Internet?

Quite so. But I have not yet suggested that the tyre we are discussing should be re-used. The answer clearly depends entirely on how it has been stored. I only said that I have used at least one tyre which had been stored unused, fitted to a wheel, cool and dark, for probably 10 years.

Reusing an old tyre - Avant

You know us well enough, Brum, not to be surprised that you've got differing views in reply. I'd suggest you play safe and don't use it.

Reusing an old tyre - Wackyracer

Michelin recommend changing any tyre at 10 years from the date of manufacture.

It is a very wooly area because of so many variables that apply.

Personally, I'd scrap the tyre.

Reusing an old tyre - oldroverboy.
A few years ago I bought my triumph trident T160 1976 back from a mate who had stored it for 20 years. We fitted a new battery, spark plugs and put oil and petrol in and he promptly went out on it to check it on the 20 yr old tyres.

I changed them shortly afterwards but only after ridinng it from the ferry at Weymouth back to near bath.

Before that I bought a 1959 Morris minor from a Geneva scrapyard and used the tyres on it during a rolling restoration.
Perhaps not the wisest choice but not something I would do now.

Well, as expected a wide variety of views with the inevitable scientific explanations offered, some of which sound a little eccentric.

The tyre in question was manufactured april 2004, and promptly delivered on the new car the next month. It was taken off the rim around 2006 because I replaced a damaged tyre on the other side and decided to change as a pair.

The tyre has been in my dark, cool (between 10 - 20 deg C), dry garage, with my assortment of other tyres off our other cars, as a standby spare. When I say it was stored upright, it was rotated from time to time, so I dont think "tyre has been stressed by sitting there" applies.

It was actually put back on the alloy rim about 2 years ago and now sits in the spare wheel footwell because D-I-L cant be bothered to change it for the full size steel OE spare that was drawn into service 2 years ago....The tyre fitter examined it before fitting and balancing, said it was fine.

The reason I asked? The Fabia is being put up for sale, and it would look nicer with 4 alloys fitted rather than 3 plus the steel wheel. As it is, under D-I-L ownership, it has 4 different brand tyres fitted, all second hand. Not my choice, but the car drives and handles as well as ever.

Budget for new tyres or swapping around? NIL

I'll examine the tyre tomorrow with my magnifying glass, and check if its held its pressure over the last 2 years.

Keep the comments coming guys...

Well, as expected a wide variety of views with the inevitable scientific explanations offered, some of which sound a little eccentric.

The tyre in question was manufactured april 2004, and promptly delivered on the new car the next month. It was taken off the rim around 2006 because I replaced a damaged tyre on the other side and decided to change as a pair.

The tyre has been in my dark, cool (between 10 - 20 deg C), dry garage, with my assortment of other tyres off our other cars, as a standby spare. When I say it was stored upright, it was rotated from time to time, so I dont think "tyre has been stressed by sitting there" applies.

If it has been stored in a dark garage with a fairly consistent cool temperature, then I'd probably use it but, keep a very close eye on it for any signs of cracking etc.

Reusing an old tyre - YG2007

You fit the old tyre its probably ok but you have an accident, the police check the vehicle (as it involved an injury or death) and determine the age of the tyre from the tyre markings code. Under interview with your solicitor they ask you where the tyre came from as its considerably older than the others etc....

Insurance company uses it as a "we're not paying clause" (They do to the third party but not you) What have you saved? £70-80?

Tyres are the most important safety feature on the car. Whats you and your families life worth?

The fabia has had two rear wheel blowouts over the years due to debris on the road. First was at high speed 70+ mph motorway, apart from the bang of the bolt thrown off a lorry hitting the vehicle underside, and an a little noise/judder from the back, it was unspectacular and hardly noticeable. Because it didnt feel right I pulled over after a mile and the tyre was completely flat misshapen, quite warm. No damage to alloy however.

Second time, I think D-I-L rode on a flat rear for a few days until I noticed it, it had a gash in the sidewall. Again no damage to the alloy!

We may have be lucky, but rear wheel blowouts in a Fabia are not as spectacular as you may have expected.

Edited by brum on 18/03/2015 at 19:58

We may have be lucky, but rear wheel blowouts in a Fabia are not as spectacular as you may have expected.

You were very lucky on those occations. How lucky are you feeling now.

This also makes me wonder how long people use snow tyres / summer tyres for in countries where snow tyres are compulsory. They often only have one set of wheels so the tyres are stored without being mounted on a rim.

Reusing an old tyre - Smileyman

It can easily be the spare in the boot that is unused but old ... last summer I had a puncture so ran the spare as a main tyre (keeping the repaired tyre as a spare). Presently I have winter tyres on the car and the original spare is back in the boot - but I'm very tempted to get rid of this tyre when I swap back to the summer tyres in the next few weeks.

The car is 10 years old now, I need to buy at least one new tyre so better to buy two and keep the good tyre as a spare. (will get a better price if buying two too)

I have had three tyre blowouts in my life.

One was in c 1980 driving an 8 year old Triumph 2.5PI at 70mph on a dual carriageway. The rear nearside tyre blew.. wire through the tread. (It was fitted to the car when I bought it). Stopped safely in a rumble of wheel and smoke. Fitted new tyre 20 miles further on in Edinburgh. And replaced the other one on the same axle as it was of the same make and wear...

The second and third were on a caravan in the 1980s where we removed the wheels for winter and stored them upright in the garage. On year 6, both blew on a return from the Lakes at 60mph - within 20 miles of each other. We had a stabiliser fitted so no problems of caravan trying to wag the car over the road...

After that, I never take chances on tyres driven fast when they are over 6 years old..

(My memory of these events is clear - it was quite scary and I don't forget such things)

Edited by madf on 19/03/2015 at 09:59

One was in c 1980 driving an 8 year old Triumph 2.5PI at 70mph on a dual carriageway. The rear nearside tyre blew.. wire through the tread. (It was fitted to the car when I bought it). Stopped safely in a rumble of wheel and smoke. Fitted new tyre 20 miles further on in Edinburgh. And replaced the other one on the same axle as it was of the same make and wear...

The second and third were on a caravan in the 1980s where we removed the wheels for winter and stored them upright in the garage. On year 6, both blew on a return from the Lakes at 60mph - within 20 miles of each other. We had a stabiliser fitted so no problems of caravan trying to wag the car over the road...

Hardly relevant I would argue.

1980? Crossply tyres maybe? And a bald tyre on a heavy performance car. 1980s caravan driven at 60 mph with (as I remember ) tyres that in that era werent really up to the job, and often blewout because of combination of over weight and stood for long times in muddy fields and/or exposed to direct sun.

Tyres/cars have moved on a long way since then. Continental have long used silica compound in their tyres which ages extremely well compared to a 1980's tyre. Most premium manufacturer have or are moving accross to silica compound tyres. Plus I dare say the design/construction/QC of modern tyres is light years ahead of a 1980 tyre. Look at the speed/load ratings of modern tyres for instance.

Hardly relevant I would argue.

1980? Crossply tyres maybe? And a bald tyre on a heavy performance car. 1980s caravan driven at 60 mph with (as I remember ) tyres that in that era werent really up to the job, and often blewout because of combination of over weight and stood for long times in muddy fields and/or exposed to direct sun.

Tyres/cars have moved on a long way since then. Continental have long used silica compound in their tyres which ages extremely well compared to a 1980's tyre. Most premium manufacturer have or are moving accross to silica compound tyres. Plus I dare say the design/construction/QC of modern tyres is light years ahead of a 1980 tyre. Look at the speed/load ratings of modern tyres for instance.

Steel braced radials..

Crossply tyres died in teh early 1970s....

It can easily be the spare in the boot that is unused but old ...

Exactly. I'll bet many, if not most, older cars with spare wheels have a tyre that is time-expired by the 'rules' we are discussing. My own spare is a space-saver which has not been out of the boot since it was put there 7 years ago. The other day I checked the pressure - 35psi instead of the suggested 50, so topped up.

It would be interesting to know how many blowouts - the kind our posters dread - occur to the many drivers who hardly check anything on their vehicles, such as pressure or tread depth. If the OP's ancient tyre is OK in those areas it should be at least as safe.

And many such drivers would find the price of an optional new tyre quite a deterrent among all the other costs of motoring.

Unlike Madf, I have not had a blowout in 50 years of driving, though I was about 50 yards behind one on the autobahn - Astra (I think) doing about 75-80. Car stopped in a straight line.

Edited by Andrew-T on 19/03/2015 at 10:21

Reusing an old tyre - ED731PDH

Closest to a blowout I can relate to was an old G reg Rover 214Si I had bought second hand, it had been a London car and had little wear. I decided the tyres were ok based on a visual inspection and being around 6 years old there was still some wear left on them. A few weeks later, going down the motorway, was suddenly aware of a building vibration. Came off the motorway, looked round, found nothing, carried on for another five miles and pulled over as the vibration was now quite bad. Looking around this time, o/s rear tyre had developed a side wall blister the size of a hen's egg. On replacement was advised the internal wires had gone and the blister was the internal pressure pushing the rubber out, near to a full failure. A close shave.

Other than that, again, six year tyre on a 2nd hand Astra, could hear a slight warbling at speed, one of the tyres had developed a slightly out of true warp to the tread edge (rear o/s again) and was making a noise.

When it comes to wheels, it's not worth taking the risk, with the grief I've had with 6 year old tyres, a 10 year old one regardless of where it's been stored is a ticking time bomb.

Reusing an old tyre - Simon

I'd reuse it if it has no real signs of being mis-shapen or perishing etc. But then again my attitude is more 'it'll be alright' rather than 'but what if'.

Bear in mind that in most tyre outlets, tyres are stored on racks upright, often on two little pegs and some obscure sizes/makes could be there for a few years. I have also seen tyres stored at wholesalers in large stacks on their sides piled on top of each other.

Then consider that they are carried across the world in containers/trailers and they are stacked in such a way that they criss-cross and interlock into each other, basically crammed in to fit as many into the smallest space possible.

Then of course people are perfectly happy to buy tyres online and have them home delivered and can you imagine the abuse they get when being handled by the courier companies? After all they see it as a tyre and it won't break it by throwing it, smashing it, squashing it etc.

By comparison I can't imagine that your tyre that you have been storing has had a hard time and hence I'd re-use it. Mount it on a rim, have it balanced and you will soon know if it has become mis-shapen by the amount of balance weight that needs to be applied.

In the loft I have 4 185 60 14 Yokohama A001HFR race tyres that were bought in 1989. They did one practice session at Cadwell park early in 1990 but were never used again, the identical tyre in 185 60 13 proved to be quicker, probably due to the slightly lower gearing.

They are only 26 years old, no sign of cracking. Surely someone on here wants them.

Reusing an old tyre - John F

They are only 26 years old, no sign of cracking. Surely someone on here wants them.

Alas, my TR7 uses 185 70 13, otherwise I would have been delighted to have had them in 2011 when I replaced its 23yr old Goodyears which still had enough tread and no cracking but had become rather hard.

Alas, my TR7 uses 185 70 13, otherwise I would have been delighted to have had them in 2011 when I replaced its 23yr old Goodyears which still had enough tread and no cracking but had become rather hard.

I trust you were joking, I was. The only thing they are fit for is to make plant pots. The rubber will be rock hard and the casings will also have deteriorated. Anyone who even contemp[lated using them on a public road would be mad. Anyone who considered using them on the track would hopefully fail scrutineering.

<< The only thing they are fit for is to make plant pots. The rubber will be rock hard and the casings will also have deteriorated. Anyone who even contemplated using them on a public road would be mad. Anyone who considered using them on the track would hopefully fail scrutineering. >>

So, Skidpan, if those tyres have only one possible use, why have you not made them into plant pots instead of cluttering your loft? Are they just pleasant mementoes ?

He's a secret hoarder! Bet he has a collection of old used spark plugs and air filters too. Lots of bits for cars he no longer owns.

His wife must be very tolerant. ;)

As a child I used to buy old radios at the local auction house, some from the 1920s and 30's in beautiful walnut or other wood cabinets. I learnt how to get them working and then I started collecting old TVs, I even had donated some original sets from the first days of broadcasting, all fixed and working. My parents got fed up with all the junk and when I went to uni, it was all taken to the local tip. Would have been worth a fair bit now.....

Edited by brum on 22/03/2015 at 18:54

He's a secret hoarder! Bet he has a collection of old used spark plugs and air filters too. Lots of bits for cars he no longer owns.

Indeed I do but shortly I will have to sort through it before we can do some home improvements.

A few examples:

1994 Mondeo 2 litre Zetec full engine. Great condition, been saving it for a project but that becomes less likely with every year. That one is for keeping though.

Sierra XR4i V6 gearbox. Not used since being fully rebuilt, its in the downstairs loo. Another for keeping.

Cortina 2 litre gearbox. Not been used since 1984 but stored dry with some oil in it. Probably not a better original untouched one in existance. Definitely keeping it.

Sierra 2.8 XR 4x4 gearbox. Worked perfectly when the car was broken and although the box is virtually worthless the gears etc have value. Dry stored since the late 90's, its staying where it is.

Set of Escort Mk2 sport "tinilite" steel rims. One for E-Bay.

Probably 5 sets of alloys all in good condition to fit Ford Escort Mk2. Not going anywhere.

Boxes of other stuff.

Sod it, think I need another shed.

I trust you were joking, I was.

Only partly joking. I recently had a bike with tyres probably 30yrs old. Far thinner and flimsier than car tyres yet able to take twice the pressure.

While agreeing with the reduced grip argument I don't buy the nonsense about the risk of blowouts with old tyres, assuming their sidewalls are undamaged. A tyre of any age is at risk if it has been run at the wrong pressure or has sustained sidewall damage.

Reusing an old tyre - DirtyDieselDogg

A visual inspection, perhaps after a touch (or more) of overinflation.

and run it on the back of a FWD, or as a spare.

No worries, whatsoever.

Now, the valvestem, on the other hand . . .

Aha. Now that reminds me of another motor industry scam - the practice of some outfits unnecessarily replacing valves every time tyres are renewed 'safety, just in case.....'. In my nearly 50yrs of driving I have never experienced, or even directly heard of, a valve failure. I think that, like any other small almost non-wearing component, they will probably last beyond the life of the car.

Aha. Now that reminds me of another motor industry scam - the practice of some outfits unnecessarily replacing valves every time tyres are renewed 'safety, just in case.....'. In my nearly 50yrs of driving I have never experienced, or even directly heard of, a valve failure. I think that, like any other small almost non-wearing component, they will probably last beyond the life of the car.

In my 40 years of driving I also have never heard of a valve failure, that was until these new TPMS valves started to be fitted and some of those have failed, buts thats another story.

But with regards to not changing valves when you fit a new tyre that is crazy. Most tyre shops include fitting, balancing and valve in the tyre price, do you ask them to leave the old valve in and knock off a couple of quid. For what they cost why not change them.

In my 40 years of driving I have only had one tyre blowout, that was about 38 years ago with a Goodyear remould which were quite popular at the time. It was on the front and I got plenty of warning from the steering as the tyre went soft and was able to pull off the A1 safely just before it finally disintegrated.

But a boss of mine had a rear tyre loose its air and he was totally unaware of it until the remains of the tyre came off the rim. The car was driving perfectly normally. As he slowed he very nearly lost control, the police and AA/RAC told him he was very lucky since rear wheel punctures are statistically more dangerous than fronts. Cost him a new tyre and alloy.

Reusing an old tyre - DirtyDieselDogg

John,

As per your feelings, this was my attitude, until the centre "blew" out of the tubless valve on the Galaxy, on a back tyre, unchanged for possibly 6 or more years, or indeed the Spare, pulled out after up to 10 years.

I kept the car until 13 years old btw.

Probably back when brass was used, no issues, for a lifetime, but some penny pinching accountant decided to use an inferior, more prone to corroding base metal instead.

I did "blow a fuse" when the tyre fitter cut the valves off 4 No 6 month old brand new alloy wheels to fit winter tyres.

Auto-pilot action i suppose.

cheers

M

I did "blow a fuse" when the tyre fitter cut the valves off 4 No 6 month old brand new alloy wheels to fit winter tyres.

I think they just do automatically without thought. I had a similar yell at a tyre fitter who cut the valve stem off my front wheel when he changed the tyre under warranty because it developed a bulge after 130miles. Maybe because I'm a person who hates seeing things go to waste.

Reusing an old tyre - Ordovices

Me neither, but there again every tyre change has incorporated a valve change, like most peoples experience, so the fact you have never heard of a failure is unsurprising.

Reusing an old tyre - alan1302

A quick Google search shows that is does happen

Thanks for the comments from everyone, appreciateed. As a final word, I inspected the tyre/wheel more closely and decided it looked more tired (no pun intended) than I initially thought. Mainly microcracking in the wide circumferential grooves and some siping seemed to be mysteriously worn away ( the best I can describe it)

Its a Conti contact ep and not eco 3 as originally posted BTW.

In comparison the steel spare that is now fitted (rear) has the same type, same age, but after being in the boot for over 10 years and 6 months on the car, still looks like a brand new tyre in comparison with rubber looking like new.

The car is going a long way down to the south coast at the weekend to be sold, my d-i-l thought it would look better to have all 4 alloys on, but I advised her to leave the steely on for safety's sake and possibly get her father to have the tyres swapped between wheels and alloy refitted then. Or leave the decision to the new owner.

Edited by brum on 26/03/2015 at 20:40

Personally I despair.

You are happy to allow a family member to drive a long distance on ancient tyres. OK, the spare looks better on the outside than the one that had been in storage but outside looks are not everything.

I further despair when you are prepared to condone selling a car in this potentially dangerous state.

When we got the Micra last October the tyres were dated 2006 but still had loads of tread left. However, all 4 had microcracks between the tread and to a lesser extent on the sidewalls. Before I let my wife out in it I spent £240 on a set of 4 new tyres, fitted balanced with valves. Cheap in comparison to the consequences.

Well said, Skidpan. Strong words but I agree with every one. A blowout could happen at any time and personally I just wouldn't take the risk.

Well said, Skidpan. Strong words but I agree with every one. A blowout could happen at any time and personally I just wouldn't take the risk.

Ageing of a premier make of tyre is mainly due to use and exposure to environmental elements, particularly UV exposure. The spare is indistinguishable from a new tyre, the compound is like new even after 6 months service with no micro cracking whatsoever. It has been, unused from new, stored in the boot well, sealed away from the elements. it even still had the correct pressure as inflated from the factory. I am an engineer with decades of experience and there's not much I haven't seen, so I trust my judgement. The car has recently had an MOT and apart from oil/filter changes which I do, all other servicing like brakes etc are all done by the Skoda dealer. Yes I am perfectly happy for my family to drive this car until its next service due date.

As for selling a "potentially dangerous" car, what bunkum. Apart from my, an MOT tester and dealers opinion, datecodes are clearly printed on tyres and no information will be withheld. Please note all advice from manufacturers, AA etc advise a visual inspection of the sidewalls for cracking. This is the weak area of a tyre.

I wish you would stop with the dramatic talk,Skidpan. Judging by past record, I doubt you will grace me with the last word, but personally I have nothing more to say about this.

Edited by brum on 27/03/2015 at 14:05

I'm with you every inch of the way, brum. If people choose (probably needlessly) to spend £240 on new tyres in case something serious happens, they are free to. They could do it every two years just to make doubly sure. In the end we all behave according to our own assessment of the chance of a bad event. Brum and I (and Skidpan) make our own judgments on the state of our cars, and none of us is inexperienced.

We have had very similar discussions here about how often to change engine oil, with equally polarised viewpoints. And to raise a topical point, how does one try to prevent an unbalanced deputy pilot flying a plane into a mountainside? It's an extremely unlikely event, but one with horrific consequences - but several airlines have announced knee-jerk responses to please the public. It's never easy to calculate how to deal with the small chance of a huge disaster.

Edited by Andrew-T on 27/03/2015 at 15:10

I wish you would stop with the dramatic talk,Skidpan. Judging by past record, I doubt you will grace me with the last word, but personally I have nothing more to say about this.

Brum, so as not to dissapoint you I will comment.

You started this thread asking for advice. Andrew-T correctly points out like other discussions the viewpoints are polarised but wheras not changing your oil will only eventually wreck your engine driving on tyres that have possible invisible age related defects (microcracking indicates all is not well) could lead to much more serious consequences.

But its your choice and its you that will have to live with any consequences should things go wrong.

If people choose (probably needlessly) to spend £240 on new tyres in case something serious happens, they are free to.

£240 for a set of tyres after 7 years and 24,000 miles is peanuts. In that same period the car will have used over £2500 of petrol, cost over £2000 to insure, had over £800 of VED paid and had about £1400 spent of servicing and MOT's. That's a total of £6700, a set of tyres is about 3.5% of that total, like I said peanuts compared to other costs over the same period.

Avant, thanks for agreeing with me, proves I am not the only sensible driver on here.

Andrew -T, its a bit sick comparing the shocking events of Wednesday in the Alps with a debate about tyre safety.

Skidpan just couldn't resist getting the last word in.

<< £240 for a set of tyres after 7 years and 24,000 miles is peanuts. >>

I don't see myself as an impoverished person, but I'm not affluent enough yet to consider £240 as peanuts. When I consider a wearing item needs replacing I do it - we just calculate 'risk' differently.

<< it's a bit sick comparing the shocking events of Wednesday in the Alps with a debate about tyre safety. >>

Nothing 'sick' about it, it's near the top of the news every day, which must make every news channel sick too. I was wondering whether it was possible to judge the likelihood of a repetition, how much time and money should be in trying to prevent it, and how much more inconvenience that might add to flying.

" It has been, unused from new, stored in the boot well, sealed away from the elements. it even still had the correct pressure as inflated from the factory. I am an engineer with decades of experience and there's not much I haven't seen, so I trust my judgement."

Fair enough - but if so, I'm not entirely sure why you asked for advice ("Is it still safe to use....?) in the first place!

Hmmm, obviously some details have not fully sunk in, I blame speed reading....

My original query was about a tyre removed when 2 years old and stored in my garage for 8 years and then put back on an alloy six months ago when the tyre on that alloy had been destroyed by a tyre slasher.It was not put back on the car but the unused full size spare steel wheel was pulled out of the boot and the alloy/old tyre thrown in the boot. Because of the impending sale, the question was about putting the alloy/old tyre back on, which I decided not to do.

I'm too tired to explain further, it doesn't matter, the car is gone, no animals or humans were harmed in this story.

OK - glad to hear that. I think this thread has run its course.