Citroen Berlingo - Convert car to van - what legalities need doing? - Eddles

Looking to buy a cheap van for my new business, all vans within my budget are clapped out, well trashed and have travelled to the moon and back. I've found the car version of the vans (e.g. Citroen Berlingo, Peugoet Partner, Renault Kangoo & Nissan Kubistar) I've been looking at are in much better condition for cheaper, so I'm thinking about converting a car to a van. From what I see, I have to remove the back seats, render seatbelt anchors unusable, blank out the windows, and a few more jobs, and then get it inspected. All I can do easily - even if I get a van, I still need to do similar work to get it to meet my business needs. I'm not going to use the car/van for personal use at all, 100% business. I'm not looking to save on tax or insurance, or pull a fast one.

My question is can I change the V5 to show it as a van, and what about insurance? Where and who does the inspection? Will it run me into problems with the authorities?

Many thanks for advice in advance!

Citroen Berlingo - Convert car to van - what legalities need doing? - Wackyracer

The best thing to do is call your nearest VOSA inpection centre and ask them. They will know the rules regarding this and how to go about it.

Personally, I wouldn't bother. You can buy good vans cheap at auction. When I was looking for one, there was loads of them at auction from as little as 3 years old and 18,000miles.

Just find a good car auction company that don't charge the earth.

I've heard too much bad stories about auctions and I'm deaf, I'll struggle at an auction. I have little faith in vans now, I've seen too many trashed ones, and no half decent ones. It'll be hard to spot a decent one at an auction.

Will contact VOSA. Cheers!

Edited by Eddles on 15/03/2015 at 15:55

Citroen Berlingo - Convert car to van - what legalities need doing? - Falkirk Bairn

What type of goods are you carrying? Pallet of XXXX?

What are you carrying that needs a conversion?

What is budget for car and converting?

Tools and materials for the job.

Windows need to be blanked to prevent people seeing and taking tools. Also shelving to sort tools.

£1500 for van/car and £200-300 for refit. Not set in stone, am flexible.

Citroen Berlingo - Convert car to van - what legalities need doing? - mss1tw

I have done exactly this, this pic might help. The shelf is three seperate sections cut to the same size as the original and the divider support is two pieces. The 'bulkhead' is an OEM dog guard.

I see no reason to inform the insurance company.

Seats are still in place but with bigger lighter items on them, with steps laid across.

i583.photobucket.com/albums/ss275/chronyx/Berlingo...g

Edited by mss1tw on 15/03/2015 at 19:08

Citroen Berlingo - Convert car to van - what legalities need doing? - Bromptonaut

Yours is even same colour/trim as mine.

Citroen Berlingo - Convert car to van - what legalities need doing? - mss1tw

Always got the feeling you were a man of style Bromp. ;)

Citroen Berlingo - Convert car to van - what legalities need doing? - skidpan

I see no reason to inform the insurance company

That works fine until something happens.

Why take the risk.