Ford Fiesta Zetec 1.4 - Whiny Alternator - Tanfies2

Had the belts changed, even the pulley as it looked a bit ‘polished’ but my alternator is still very whiney. It’s not too noticeable during the day, but at night when the lights are on, it gets considerably louder, and even worse if you press down on the electric windows. To me, it sounds like it’s being overworked, or even strained. My mechanic said the last thing to do was possibly change it, but there could be other factors as to why it’s being overworked. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Tanfies2 on 14/03/2015 at 21:50

Ford Fiesta Zetec 1.4 - Whiny Alternator - Quicksilver

How many miles on this alternator?

Probably an iffy bearing responding to load.

Changing the bearings is very difficult for a DIY person so probably it needsa to be replaced?

Probably not essential it is done immediately.

Q.

42k, although I've had various issues with bearings, bushes etc as the car sat for a while when I bought it.

I assume it is a standard 70A or 90A unit?

How good is the battery? Is is the special Ca ford type or standard?

What else do you have as an electical load, (heated front and rear windows etc.)?

I would leave it until it becomes very noisy or starts to fail. The milage is quite low so it should have quite a bit of life left yet?

Q.

I've had major probs with this car, slowly ironing them out as I go, but bought with my eyes unfortunately. It was left sitting around for ages, so all the bearings, bushes went, had quite a few bits replaced, and it picked up every squeak known to man!!

It's a Ford Fiesta 1.4 Zetec, has electric windows, heated back windscreen, but that's it, rest is standard. I'll check back with the battery and altinator make(s).

I've had a quick look, but this is all I can visually get hold of unfirtunately.

Battery make looks like an Exide Excell EB442? can't see that well as the metal bar that holds it in place runs across the middle. It's a 44ah 420 A(EN) 12V.

All that is on the alternator is a barcode with DG next to it and numbers underneath 600123 63321679 and a date of 5/13/10.

Looks like a standard 70A unit.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALTERNATOR-2S6T-10300-CB-70A-20...3

I would leave it for now. It could be noisy for years and not cost you anything.

Q.

Ford Fiesta Zetec 1.4 - Whiny Alternator - elekie&a/c doctor

A whiney alternator may not be a bearing or pulley issue.A faulty diode/rectifier can cause the alternator to become electrically unbalanced with one of the three phases not working correctly.The only positive test would be to scope the alternator output and check for an irregular or "noisy" trace.