Toyota Avensis - Avensis Clutch Slipping - avensis10

I currently own a 2012 1.8 vmatic avensis estate with 39,000 miles on the clock. I have owned the car for 2 years having previously been a Toyota management car.

Last week whilst driving the clutch began slipping in 4th through to sixth gear. Toyota are of the opinion this is fair wear and tear and is not covered under warranty. They have quoted 900 quid to replace it. I have had the clutch inspected by a friend's garage this morning for any signs of contamination and he reports none.

Has anyone else heard of an Avensis clutch failing at such low mileage? My daily commute is 20 miles of 50 mph with about 2 standing starts.

Looking forward to any ideas as to where I stand!

Toyota Avensis - Avensis Clutch Slipping - skidpan

I have owned the car for 2 years having previously been a Toyota management car.

That could well mean its been abused by all and sundry including the press. Just think how cars get abused on top gear and they will all be sold on as "ex management" or "ex demonstrator" by dealers who buy them direct.

You have no chance of a free replacement.

If that is the case I think I have a strong case. The car was purchased through Toyota used approved. If they are punting cars that have been thrashed and passing them off as one owner ex manager cars they've got a problem. If I wanted an ex hire car I would have gone to a car supermarket.

My last three cars have all gone over 100k miles on 1 clutch.

Toyota Avensis - Avensis Clutch Slipping - Railroad.
As said above. It very much depends on how the car has been driven. 100k+ miles and several years is not uncommon for a clutch to last, but driven poorly they can also last only a few weeks.
Toyota Avensis - Avensis Clutch Slipping - RobJP

Regrettably, I have to agree with the previous replies. It is impossible for a manufacturer to guarantee clutches for long periods, as it is entirely feasible for drivers to wreck them in short time/mileage.

However, if you're going to have to pay for it, then you'd be just as well getting quotes from alternatives. You might even be able to use those quotes to beat down the Toyota dealer on price.

Toyota Avensis - Avensis Clutch Slipping - skidpan

If that is the case I think I have a strong case. The car was purchased through Toyota used approved.

It was "Approved" by Toyota 2 years ago. They have no idea how you have treated it like you have no idea how it was treated before you bought it.

If they are punting cars that have been thrashed and passing them off as one owner ex manager cars they've got a problem. If I wanted an ex hire car I would have gone to a car supermarket.

All manufacturers sell ex lease cars and other cars as "nearly new" etc on their dealers forcourts. Supermarkets sell exact same cars but cheaper with none of the meaningless "approved" nonsense.

My last three cars have all gone over 100k miles on 1 clutch.

You cannot use that as a reason to get a free replacement.

Toyota Avensis - Avensis Clutch Slipping - wrangler_rover
My last company car was a 2009 Avensis diesel. I needed a new clutch at 70 k miles which I reached in less than 2 years.
The electric parking brake made me lazy by letting the handbrake self release as the clutch bit instead of manually releasing it. I also got into the bad habit of holding the car on the clutch for a couple of seconds instead of applying the parking brake for a split second. As a side issue, one of the parking brake actuators on the car failed at 60k miles which I reached in 18 months.
In my opinion, the increasing use of electric parking brakes is leading to premature clutch wear.

Some interesting points!

A clutch failing at 70K miles is fair enough especiay with a diesel and its increased torque.

For a 1.8 petrol to go after 39,000 it must either be made of complete carp or someone has seriously abused the car before hand.

My previous car was a 2.0 tdi Octavia that did 140K on 1 clutch and that included towing a car trailer and reversing up steep inclines, none of which this car has done.

Either way I think I'm off to sell the thing. Its been the most unreliable car I have had in 16 years of driving. Constant problems with the electric brake and the brake system in general.

I would steer clear of one if mine is anything to go by.

I thought I would post this as it could be of use to others.

Toyota have looked at the car today and WILL cover the repairs under warranty. The clutch is making a slight, and I mean slight, whining noise when pulling away as well as slipping at random intervals in higher gears.

Toyota have informed me this is indicative of a fault concerning the clutch cover. Either way they are covering the full cost of a new clutch!

Toyota Avensis - Avensis Clutch Slipping - gordonbennet

Intersting thread, with an unsurprising outcome.

Agree with the poster above re electric parking brakes, when used as intended with automatic release, will cause premature clutch wear.

Toyota Avensis - Avensis Clutch Slipping - Peter.N.

I have a friend with a diesel Avensis, he had three clutches in 100k miles, the first one lasted 70k which is reasonable, the second 20k which isn't and the third 5k. He took the garage to court and eventually got his money back, apparantly there was something with the flywheel which I presume is a DMF.

I have a peugeot 406 which has done 234k and a C5 with 200k, they both have their original clutches and DMFs.