Vauxhall Corsa D - Heater directional control cables - beanstalker

Hello,

I bought a 2010 Corsa from a main dealer in November 2013 with a full service history. There were several smallish jobs to get sorted and one of these was the heater control. It was impossible to keep the control knob on the bottom two positions; it sprang back with a lot of force. Even holding it in for a couple of minutes didnt always prevent it springing back. I was told it needed new cables and these were supplied and fitted by the dealer. Exactly the same thing is now happening again and the 12 month warranty on the cables has now expired. I have tried lubricating the cables but there is no way of doing that without taking the control off. Is this a common problem with Corsas and does anyone know how to take off the control, lubricate the cables behind and refit it? I have owned a lot of cars and this is a "first" for me! I have contacted Vauxhall customer services but they cannot help.

Vauxhall Corsa D - Heater directional control cables - elekie&a/c doctor

there are 2 control cables on these.One for the hot/cold and the other for up/down/face distribution.It could be that the cable has gone out of adjustment as they are held onto the heater box control mechanism by a metal claw clip,so the cable may have moved,causing your problem.I would not say it is a common problem,but have seen many Corsa models where the rotational control does not feel positive,although the function works ok.Access to the rear of the heater control panel is an absolute pig of a job,but it is possible to get to the cable where it is clipped to the main heater box.

Vauxhall Corsa D - Heater directional control cables - Fahiim
Hi,

I have the exact same issue as your corsa did. Mine is also 2010 plate. The directional controls seem to spring back to the top whenever I try to change them. I was wondering if you ever fixed the issue/how you did it?
Vauxhall Corsa D - Heater directional control cables - Fahiim
For anyone with a sticky directional switch that springs back to the top setting, try the following to fix it:

Using removal clips, remove the CD player/stereo and try to unplug it. Then slide out the heater controls box, there are two clips on top and then you need to push it out from behind using strong force (there seems to be some clips that hold it in at the bottom or something). The heater controls box probably wont come out all the way because of the wires. Although you might be able to unplug the blue and black connectors from it to free some space.

To fix the actual problem, check the metal wire that goes towards the directional switch. It should be straight and have no bends in it. Straighten out any bends.

To check if it’s fixed, feel the other end of the white cable (up in the dash) while changing the directions, the parts in the dash should change with each direction and it should no longer spring back.

Make sure you reconnect each connector when putting everything back.

Hope this helps.