Vauxhall Corsa - Different size tyres - sheebysheebster

Hi
This evening I took my car to a garage as there was a loud snapping sound when I was driving earlier. Turns out the coil spring has snapped. Whilst checking my car over the mechanic noticed that one of my tyres was a different size, 185 but should be 175. Well turns out the 185 tyre was bought and fitted last year by this garage, luckily enough they have this on file. I've had to leave my car with them to have the coil spring replaced and the mechanic said he'd speak to the manager to ask if he'll replace the wrong tyre free of charge. Should they not do this as it an error they made? Would having the wrong size tyre on my car cause any damage to my car? If they refuse to change it free of charge is it such a big deal that I continue to drive it with the different size tyres?
Thanks

Vauxhall Corsa - Different size tyres - gordonbennet

It won't cause any damage as such, though arguably if it was on the font it would make the diff work slightly harder on a long motorway run, again the chances of damage are slim.

I wouldn't run the car with odd sizes though, its probably nickable if you came up against a sharp eyed traffic copper...do we still have traffic coppers?... but worse than that you can bet your last quid that in the event of an accident, especially one where your car going out of control featured, that the eagle eyed insurance assessor would spot it with possibly expensive results for you.

Vauxhall Corsa - Different size tyres - elekie&a/c doctor

No big issue with having a tyre slightly larger .Most models have different size tyres depending on what spec/wheels are fitted.What is interesting is that the garage may have fitted the tyre like for like,so it could have been wrong before the new tyre was fitted?

Vauxhall Corsa - Different size tyres - sheebysheebster

Thanks so much for the quick response. Thank goodness theres no harm caused but I'm ready for a fight if they try to get me to pay for a replacement.