Skoda Octavia Hatchback - Is there such a thing as an SUV for SPORTS? - skodaboy

I've got a 5 year old Skoda Octavia L&K 2.0D DSG Auto, which replaced a similar 4 year old car.

It easily fits two full sets of golf clubs, plus electric trolleys, shoes, and even a couple of weekend bags, IN THE BOOT completely hidden from sight. I have even once had a 4 night holiday where three of us got golf clubs, trolleys and the rest in the boot.

The clubs fit in without removing the drivers, because there is space behind the rear wheel arch, so they fit across the boot. None of the SUVs I've seen have space there - in the case of the BMW X-3 it is infilled with some fancy cupboard or first aid kit or something.

I have to have an auto because of my left knee due to an old cartiledge injury, as changing gear over a week or more feels like a knife stuck in to the side of my knee.

The DSG is a wonderful thing, and gives me great fuel economy. It is vastly superior to any previous auto box that I have ever had (maybe 12 different cars). The acceleration is great, and I don't want to lose that either. I've also tried to get by with a 4 door car, but the hatch is so incredibly practical.

Space in the garage is limited, so I do not want to be going longer or wider than the Octavia at 4.6m x 1.8m. Even the 2013 Octavia has significantly grown.

car length width ex mirrors height ground clearance boot skoda octavia 2005 4572 1973 1769 1462 140 560 skoda octavia 2009 4569 2018 1769 1462 140 585 skoda octavia 2013 4659
1814 1461 140 590

I'd like an SUV, or similar vehicle with a better view out, and ideally 4wd, but all of those I have looked at come with boots that do not fit a single set of clubs and an electric trolley, let alone 2 sets. Yes, I could fold the back seats down, but do I really want to be displaying "come and steal me" equipment for all wandering chancers to see? NO.

The only medium sized vehicle into which I can get ONE trolley (wheels removed) and my clubs is the recent VW Golf SV. The trolley has to be carefully propped up at the seat end of the boot, with the seats in their most upright position. But it is seriously awkward to get in and only OK after a dry round. It certainly won't do for us both.

So far, I have tried the Yeti, Tiguan, BMW X-3, Ford Kuga, Honda CR-V, Volvo XC60 and written off several others because the difference in fuel economy and performance from their old fashioned auto boxes is more than I want to give up.

Has anyone come across an SUV that has a useful (seats up) boot?

Failing that, is there such a thing as a proper tonneau cover to use in a Tiguan or Yeti with the seats down? At least that way my clubs would not be on show.

Skoda Octavia Hatchback - Is there such a thing as an SUV for SPORTS? - craig-pd130

www.skoda.co.uk/models/octavia-scout/

Skoda Octavia Hatchback - Is there such a thing as an SUV for SPORTS? - Happy Blue!

Rather than an SUV, have you looked at an MPV or maybe a smaller 7 seat MPV (Grand C-Max)? and drop the third row of seats. These generally have a tonneau cover - My S-Max did.

Skoda Octavia Hatchback - Is there such a thing as an SUV for SPORTS? - skodaboy

Thanks for the thought. Yes I have looked at MPVs. I've not found one that gets a good review and a decent mpg in auto version. Some of the autos are atrocious.

I had looked at the Grand C-Max on paper only, but it wasn't greatly liked by What Car and several reviews I read saw it as a bit stodgy to drive with little feedback on steering. I'd also been put off because my wife's last Fiesta had a duratorq engine and it was pretty much the worst car she's had (apart from the Triumph Toledo, but that's a long time ago now). Maybe I need to actually go up to the Ford dealership for a test drive with all of my gear.

Just realised why I'd discounted the Grand C-Max - 475 litres in 5 seat mode compared to my Skoda's 585 litres.

@Happy Blue!

Been to see the C-Max today. Clubs fitted across corner to corner but it was them or the trolley. Not both. Was told I should try a Mondeo. Kuga was even smaller.

Also tried Peugeot 3008 and 5008, Mazda CX-5, Mitsubishi Outlander (huge car, small boot).

Yes, thanks. I looked long and hard at it a year ago.

It does seem to have improved spec since I last looked. Previously I couldn't get the electric drivers seat, which I find invaluable as it has a great lumbar support. I've been spoiled with two L&Ks in a row ;)

Scout doesn't give me extra height (well, a couple of inches) so it isn't the ideal, but who knows. 171mm / 1531 mm height vs 140/1462.

@craig-pd130 Went for a look at the Scout today. Nice looking vehiclewith more power and refinement, but as we knew, I don't get the height. What have Skoda done though? They have removed the foot rest for my right foot when using cruise control. In a bigger car! Daft, I call it. For 9 years I've been able to just set my foot to the side and drive on - now I'd have to find somewhere to tuck my leg under. I couldn't find a comfortable position while sitting in it.

Skoda Octavia Hatchback - Is there such a thing as an SUV for SPORTS? - Arbutus

How about the just announced BMW Gran Tourer. A seven seat MPV. 4556 long, 1800 wide, 645 litres with the sixth and seventh seat folded into the boot floor. Petrol or diesel engines.

Four wheel drive available and modern six or eight speed automatics. It’s longer than the Active Tourer but has the same width. Full specifications and prices still to be announced.

@Arbutus. Thanks - I will have to have a look for it and do some investigateion. I only just visited the BMW garage today, and it wasn't mentioned. The X3 is too small, and the X5 whilst it might fit everything in the boot (at a pinch, the space behind the wheel arches is taken up behind a panel by the first aid kit, and the CD changer. What's one of them - all my music is now on mp3?) is a big beast at over 4.8m long.

@Arbutus: I have been researching the BMW 2 series gran tourer, which is not out till June, there is no brochure to download, and nowhere I can find has the usual dimensions sketches. I've searched and found a decent photo of the boot with third row in place, and with both 2nd and 3rd rows folded. There is hope - it has gaps behind the rear wheel arches.

Skoda Octavia Hatchback - Is there such a thing as an SUV for SPORTS? - Avant

"Space in the garage is limited, so I do not want to be going longer or wider than the Octavia at 4.6m x 1.8m. Even the 2013 Octavia has significantly grown."

The mark 3 Octavia is 4.66m x 1.8m as you say, but that's only about 3 inches longer than the mark 2 but with more room inside. I've got one, and had a mark 2 before. The estate is the same as the hatch for length and width.

The Golf SV and BMW 2-series Active Tourer are shorter (4.3 m I think) and in both you can move the back seats forward to give more luggage space: did you try that when you looked at the Golf SV? The 7-seat Gran Tourer will be a bit longer, as Arbutus says above.

Edited by Avant on 11/03/2015 at 00:07

@Avant. Yes, we did that with the Golf SV. It was the only way to get the trolley in even having taken its wheels off. Even having done that, it could only fit one set in; the second was left outside.

The active tourer does not fit either - similar issues.

Edited by skodaboy on 11/03/2015 at 18:58

I may have found something that has a reasonable balance of what I am looking for. I went to look at the ix35, but the Hyundai Santa Fe is the same length as a new Octavia, it is 4x4, has a capacious boot that does fit two sets of clubs, 2 trolleys and still has a bit left over. It is not as big as the Octavia, but it is a tall car and is the 4x4 I'd like.

Very smooth ride, soaked up the bumps beautifully. Reasonable go to it, but more a surge than a rush, so that would take a bit of getting used to.

Not impressed by the mpg. Real mpg on this site suggests the latest Santa Fe CRTD gets 35.4 compared to the claimed 38.7, and the brochure shows CO2 of 178. That's against a real 43 ish that I get, and Rmpg for the latest version Scout of 44.1.

It deserves more research and another test drive. The dealer is happy for me to borrow it and see whether it fits in the garage.

Skoda Octavia Hatchback - Is there such a thing as an SUV for SPORTS? - Avant

"What have Skoda done though? They have removed the foot rest for my right foot when using cruise control. In a bigger car! Daft, I call it."

In the mark 3 Octavia the accelerator pedal is top-hinged whereas the mark 2 is bottom-hinged. So there's room for one's right foot under the pedal when cruise control is on. I find that more comfortable than the footrest on my old mark 2, which I found too close to me.

The BMW 2-series Gran Tourer, by th way, isn't on sale till later in the year. It's longer than the Active Tourer so may well pass the golf trolley test.

But if the Santa Fe (or the Kia equivalent, which is either the Sportage or Sorento, I can't remember which is which) might be good as you say, if it isn't too big for your garage.

@Avant: I was at the Skoda garage on Wednesday, and had tried sticking my foot under, but for me it wasn't as comfortable by a long chalk. There does seem to be a lot of slack in the lining to the right of the accelerator pedal, so if I did get one there might be a little DIY I could do. I was also a little concerned as to how easily my foot would come out from under there if I needed to brake suddenly. Ah well.

I believe it is the Sorento, as it happens I called in at the Kia garage on my way home from golf today. Apparently there is a new sorento coming out this year, said to be a little bigger. However, the Telegraph motoring review is pretty scathing, and it is only coming as a 7 seater (do we have that many families of 7 in the UK?). www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/car-manufacturers/kia...l

The current Sorento is not quite the same layout in the boot as the Santa Fe, so not quite as good.

The Suzuki SX4 S-Cross is certainly not as big, due to lack of depth and height.

My local Hyundai dealer has offered to let me borrow the Santa Fe to try in my garage, and to let SWMBO have a drive too.