Which one? - Buying - Glasgow26

Hi there

I'm looking to buy a small family hatchback. I would like something reliable, little or no road tax, preferably diesel and nice to drive - it has to have 5 doors too. Im looking to buy pre-reg. I have narrowed down the following:

Toyota Auris - been for a test drive and was ok. Doesn´t have cheap road tax and the interior looked a bit bland.

Vauxhall Astra - sitting position was very uncomfortable.

Renault Megane - had one of these as a courtesy car once and liked it.

Citroen C4 - haven´t driven this but I do like French cars, although the horror stories about reliability puts me off this one but I like the fact it is different. Are Citroen a bad buy - do they have dodgy reliability?

Ford Focus - big choice of engines, spec, etc. Nice to drive. There are lots of them about.

Im not sure which one to potentially go for. Any ideas?

Thanks

Edited by Glasgow26 on 06/03/2015 at 10:47

Which one? - Buying - TopScot

I wouldn't say citreon are dodgy now or French cars if you avoid anything pre 2009. They have their problems like all cars - minor electrics being the main one. The PSA engines are strong and built to last, the cars are well put together.

Me personally id go for the focus and if you go for the diesel it's a citreon engine that's in it

Edited by Ciaran Taxi on 06/03/2015 at 12:08

Which one? - Buying - Bromptonaut

I've had two Berlingos with 175k miles between them and no issues I can complain about.

The C4 is, IIRC, an ordinary mid size car. Might be a bit more chary of the 'fashion' DS models.

Which one? - Buying - Falkirk Bairn

What is the annual mileage and is it a commuting/motorway mileage or local runabout with lots of ahort trips?

Lower miles and short trips = Petrol to avoid diesel issues

Higher miles and longer trips = Diesel to lower fuel costs

Annual mileage would be about 7,000 a year - mainly made up of shorter journeys. I know that a petrol engine would be the more sensible choice but I thought that diesel is more economical in the long run anyhow - I may be wrong though!

Which one? - Buying - elekie&a/c doctor

At that mileage I would stick with a petrol and go for a Focus 1.6.No garage ever got rich fixing these.

Which one? - Buying - Avant

Agreed. Diesels may be more economical and have a lower rate of road tax, but whether new or used they cost more to buy. And you could have problems with the particulate filter clogging up if you mainly do short journeys.

A petrol Focus should do you fine. Toyotas and Mazdas may look plasticky inside but the money has gone on the mechanics and they'll last a long time.

I'm a fan of the VW Golf and its VW Group sister cars: a Golf will hold its value better than a Focus and cost you more secondhand, but it's little if any more expensive new than the equivalent Focus.

Lastlty there are the Koreans - Kia Ceed and Hyundai i30 - which are good cars, no longer a cheap option but they doi have longer warranties.

Edited by Avant on 06/03/2015 at 18:01

The Focus does look good. There are many models though - I was looking at 1.0 Ecoboost Navigator - any good?

Which one? - Buying - Happy Blue!

If you are buying new or nearly new then beware of the small engined turbo models. It is alleged by some people that some cars with these engines do not reach the claimed levels of economy.

However a friend has recently acquired a Focus with the 1.0 Ecoboost engine and reckons he is getting over 45mpg in suburban driving conditions. Certainly at that level of economy and 7,000 miles pa, it would be silly to buy a diesel.

If you buy a new Focus you will benefit form the facelift which has a vastly improved interior, especially around the central dash and the operation of the SatNav.

Which one? - Buying - skidpan

If you are buying new or nearly new then beware of the small engined turbo models. It is alleged by some people that some cars with these engines do not reach the claimed levels of economy.

I have a 1.4 TSi 140 PS Leon. My average consumption for 21 months has been a genuine calculated 45 mpg. In exactly the same useage a BMW 118D diesel with 143 PS averaged 48 mpg.

For me the petrol is no more expensive to fuel when you consider the price difference.

Only problem with the small turbo petrols is the nut behind the wheel. If you drive them like a conventional petrol using the revs they will use fuel just like a normal petrol. But drive them more like a diesel using the torque your progress will be just as quick and far more economical.

Which one? - Buying - Brian Tryzers
If you work out a cost of ownership and running over, say, four years and 28,000 miles, you might spend £1200 on insurance, £800 on servicing, something over £3000 on fuel, probably a couple of hundred on tyres too - and at least as much again in depreciation. These are the cost areas I'd be focusing on; VED, even at a higher rate, is a piddling amount by comparison and not something that should be swaying your choice.

For the candidates you mention, you shouldn't need us to tell you to cross the Astra off the list if you can't get comfortable in it. From what I've seen and read of the C4 it has all the bad qualities of Citroëns without the redeeming charm and comfort. Renaults are Renaults, and that's not been a good thing for the last 15 years.
That leaves the Auris, which won't win your heart but is unlikely to drain your patience or your wallet, and the Focus, which may be a little less tough but ought to be better to drive. Or, as Avant suggests, the Golf, which is such a thoroughly nice, well-sorted car that I'm seriously considering one for myself. More expensive, probably, but for a good reason.