Any - How much oil is a car expected to use? - Durelli_tyres
The last few cars I've been responsible for didn't use any oil between services, to the extent that I didn't have any in the garage.

My latest car is a Hyundai Santa Fe auto from 2011. For the first 24,000 miles it didn't use oil, but from the 24k service its started to use it. Its now used 5 litres so is using a litre of oil every 7,000 miles.

I have asked the garage about this, especially as it started at a service, and I've been told that anything below 1 litre per 1,000 miles is normal.

At the same time, my wife's Alfa Guiletta hasn't used a drop in 20,000 miles.

Should modern cars use oil?
Should I be concerned by my Santa Fe?

cheers

D
Any - How much oil is a car expected to use? - gordonbennet

A litre every 7k is nothing, if anything at least it means your car gets the odd bit of fresh oil between changes.

Some of us, me, would be changing the oil around the 7 to 10k mark anyway, so when it gets nearly to needing that litre i'd probably drop the rest and stick a fresh lot in...thats me though, not trying to persuade anyone else to do the same.

I do wonder if those modern cars, especially Diesels, using no oil are actually using some, but excess fuel finding its way down into the sump, as it does on some, is keeping the level up.

Any - How much oil is a car expected to use? - RT

Everyone I've asked assures me that all diesels use oil, unlike good condition petrol engines (of mine) which never used any.

Up to 1 litre / 1,000 miles has been the acceptance cut-off for many cars for many years.

My own 2011 Santa Fe uses variable amounts of oil, but how much of the sump contents is fuel drain down is unknown.

I do an interim 6,000 mile oil change in between the annual services, 12500 in my case.

Any - How much oil is a car expected to use? - gordonbennet

My own 2011 Santa Fe uses variable amounts of oil, but how much of the sump contents is fuel drain down is unknown.

I do an interim 6,000 mile oil change in between the annual services, 12500 in my case.

What sensible servicing that is.

When a slight rattle developed requiring new injectors on the Hilux, Toyota immediate goodwill as expected, i drained some oil out and sent it to Millers Oils for analysis following email exchanges, they could not have been more helpful and sent back a simple report even a layman like me could understand, and made no charge at all for this, though i have been a Millers customer for a long time...fuel content barely registering was my result, everything else fine.

Might it be an idea when you've had an extended period of low oil use to drain a little engine oil off and get it analysed by someone, see if there is fuel content of any sort...i doubt there's anything wrong and your good service regime would minimise any effects anyway, but it would be interesting to know.

Any - How much oil is a car expected to use? - Sulphur Man

The recently announced RR Evoque update is fitted with JLRs new 180PS 'Ingenium' diesel engine thy claim offers 68mpg and CO2 emission of 109g/km.

JLR are selling the fact that the new engine requires service intervals of 21,000 miles, saves owners money.

Same oil for 21000 miles...wonder what oil they specify for that prolonged workout?

The recently announced RR Evoque update is fitted with JLRs new 180PS 'Ingenium' diesel engine thy claim offers 68mpg and CO2 emission of 109g/km.

JLR are selling the fact that the new engine requires service intervals of 21,000 miles, saves owners money.

Same oil for 21000 miles...wonder what oil they specify for that prolonged workout?

LR have had shorter intervals than most brands for some time - 20,000 miles is now regarded as normal by manufacturers - Vauxhall went up from 10,000 to 20,000 15 years ago, the Vectra diesel being 30,000 for a while but reduced back down to 20,000.

Post-2013 versions of Hyundai Santa Fe have a 20,000 mile / 2 years interval - although dealers are quite happy to add an additional interim in between.

Any - How much oil is a car expected to use? - craig-pd130

A litre every 7k is nothing, if anything at least it means your car gets the odd bit of fresh oil between changes.

+1 to both points.

Any - How much oil is a car expected to use? - coopshere
It's been years since I last owned a car that had to have oil between services. Comes down to quality of the engineering in my opinion. Never owned a diesel so can't comment on them.
Any - How much oil is a car expected to use? - Andrew-T
Should modern cars use oil?

I don't think they should. Modern engineering tolerances are quite fine enough to prevent leaks where they shouldn't happen, and most exhausts have cats or filters which work best without oily fumes.

I have never owned a car which needed oil between changes unless it dripped on the ground from a poor seal - at least since the 'old days' when valve seals or other joints leaked. Though quite a few Mini owners complain about oil consumption, so there do seem to be problems.

Any - How much oil is a car expected to use? - John F

As much as it needs. The more worn it is and the more pistons it has, the more it will use. Our old Passat was using about a litre every 2000 miles after the 200,000 mark. My old TR7 uses hardly any at a mere 70,000.

Any - How much oil is a car expected to use? - catsdad
None of my last last 10 cars has used oil between services. All were new company cars and carefully run in as per HJ guidelines in FAQs. However I am appalled at the "normal" consumption that some manufacturers quote whenever a customer has an oil consumption issue. The fact that there is not much fuss on this issue compared to the well-worn arguments on fuel consumption suggests that its rare to use so much oil. Which makes it all the more remarkable thtat manufacturers seem to get away with the oil figures they quote.
Any - How much oil is a car expected to use? - madf

My memory of oil consumption of cars I have driven tends to fade after about 20 years...so my comments only relate to post 1990 ish.

The only car I had that used much oil was a 1997 1.9TDI (110bhp) Audi A4 with 70k miles when bought. It used approx 1 litre every 10k miles when it had done 100k miles. (Nice car but expensive worn suspendion etc).

I have ,however, helped a lady fill her 2007 (?2008?) Golf TDI with oil . It was 6 months oild, had done 12k miles, and never been serviced or the bonnet opened.. it took 2 liters to hit the Full oil level.... Company car.

Edited by madf on 24/02/2015 at 10:24

Any - How much oil is a car expected to use? - skidpan

OP

Is the garage using the correct spec oil. On a modern car it can make a difference.

But on your car with a DPF like yours using the correct oil is critical even just for top ups.

Suggest you look at the receipt which should tell you what oil was used and compare that to the spec in your handbook. Hyundai and Kia specify the same stuff for their diesels so should be 5w30 fully synthetic C3. Its a commonly available spec and not too pricey compared to some.

If its not the correct spec the long term health of the DPF will suffer and compared to using a little oil oil between services that will be a major expense.

Any - How much oil is a car expected to use? - Andrew-T
.... Which makes it all the more remarkable that manufacturers seem to get away with the oil figures they quote.

They quote them so that it will be next to impossible for owners to claim under warranty. Cars just off the production line will vary in using oil, and from then on their behaviour will diverge further depending on how their new owner/drivers 'run them in'. But I reckon a litre every 1000 miles is a bit too much, whatever has been done to the car.

.... Which makes it all the more remarkable that manufacturers seem to get away with the oil figures they quote.

They quote them so that it will be next to impossible for owners to claim under warranty. Cars just off the production line will vary in using oil, and from then on their behaviour will diverge further depending on how their new owner/drivers 'run them in'. But I reckon a litre every 1000 miles is a bit too much, whatever has been done to the car.

They're set at a level they don't have to pay dealers for long time consuming checks - if the owner thinks it's using more than a litre/1,000 miles it's simple enough for the dealer to check the oil level, top it up to the full mark, clean any areas which might leak and get the owner to bring it back after 500 miles - clear cut warranty vs non-warranty and dealer gets paid very little for investigation, if anything.

Any - How much oil is a car expected to use? - Wackyracer

I have found that sometimes just the brand of oil can make a difference to oil consumption as well as the specification can.

Our old Astra was always run on 10w40 GM oil, I then changed to a different brand of 10w40 and it reduced it a little. I now run it on 5w30 GM spec oil and the consumption is even less. Obviously the 5w30 is to the latest GM specs.

Any - How much oil is a car expected to use? - nortones2

These rates are nothing - a Mini Cooper S 1963, 1071cc achieved 135 miles to a pint on road test by Motor. Rather eclipsed by the 1275cc successor tested Sept 64 @ 75 miles per pint of SAE30. Eeek!

Any - How much oil is a car expected to use? - madf

These rates are nothing - a Mini Cooper S 1963, 1071cc achieved 135 miles to a pint on road test by Motor. Rather eclipsed by the 1275cc successor tested Sept 64 @ 75 miles per pint of SAE30. Eeek!

I had a Mini 1100cc ( an 850 engine replaced with an MG 1100 one.. with teh standard Mini gearing ! )- which had astonishing acceleration. It also drank oil.. But I cannot recall how much.. But I kept a 1 gallon can in the boot

Any - How much oil is a car expected to use? - Bromptonaut

None of the five PSA diesels that have gone through my family fleet since 1993 used significant amounts between services. Even the 205 that was letting it go down the valve stems and smoking noticeably used barely a litre over 6k miles between changes.

New cars need watching though. The Xantia went from dipstick max to dipstick min between delivery new in October and a pre Xmas jaunt to France. Once topped up it stabilised and only 'used' again right at end of it's life when there was a leak from rocker gasket into timing belt.