clutch going - Shall i tell him - oldroverboy.

In a street very near to me an elderly gentleman was pulling away from his house and appeared to be giving it plenty of revvs without making much progress. then he changed gear and same, bit further along, way past me got the smell of cooked clutch.

shall i leave anote for him? I don't know him at all so not sure about approaching directly.

clutch going - Shall i tell him - mss1tw

Wouldn't bother myself, he'll either ignore the note or get annoyed.

clutch going - Shall i tell him - kerbed enthusiasm

I disagree. If he's lucky the clutch will eventually let go outside his house; if he's not, it will disntegrate whilst he's a distance from home - not pleasant for anyone but certainly not fair if, as you say, he's elderly. A discreet note, anonymous if you prefer, suggesting that he has his clutch checked would be in the interests of common civility.

clutch going - Shall i tell him - oldroverboy.
I thought the note. He is very elderly and so is his wife.
clutch going - Shall i tell him - Wackyracer

There is a good chance that the clutch is not on its last legs but, The driver is slipping the clutch.

I have observed this a few times with elderly drivers, That they get to a stage where they give the car alot of revs and then slip the clutch to control the speed. Obviously it is not good news for the life of the clutch.

clutch going - Shall i tell him - hillman

One of SMMBOs friends is a single girl with not a lot of money and didn't seem to value servicing her car. When the handbrake would no longer hold the car on the steep hill into town. the one with the traffic lights at the top, she developed the habit/skill of holding the car in position in the queue by slipping the clutch.

I think the note will be the best thing, and if they reply, give them the name of a trusted mechanic.

clutch going - Shall i tell him - gordonbennet

Some older people do drive like this for some reason, it's probably better than trying to master some horrid automated manual after 50 years with a clutch, and we tend to forget that older drivers will have been brought up on engines that didn't stall at the drop of a hat and you could easily get up to about 3rd gear and 20 mph on a trailing throttle on some.

However, i can still hear the sound of the huge electric drill screaming in protest echoing round Padstow circa 1972, it turned out to be a little old lady parking an Austin A35, never before or since have i heard a car engine reach such astonishing revs short of at a trackside.