Subaru Outback - Duff headlights - hillman

I wrote on 8th Dec. 2013 about the simultaneous demise of the nearside dipped beam and the sidelight. And I replaced both. The car was then seven years old. Although I had replaced the sidelights several times in that period I hadn't had any trouble with the dipped or main beams.

Now the bulb in the dipped beam has gone again and I was ready with a spare which I've installed. The designers of the car should be made to do simple servicing as a feature of their training.

I'll ask the question again in case there's been some movement in the intervening period; Does anybody know whether the LED bulbs that are being used in the up-to-date cars are available for after-market exchange ? I have in mind the H7 bulbs for dipped beam and the capsule type for side and indicator lights.

Subaru Outback - Duff headlights - mss1tw

I found these a while back...

www.horizonleds.co.uk/cree-leds/headlamp-cree-led/...t

Subaru Outback - Duff headlights - RT

AFAIK factory-fit HIDs are a completely different lamp unit, not just a different "bulb", across all brands not just Subaru - it's the after-market units that use the same housing as the bulb.

But in both cases, the headlamp washers would need fitting as well - as the Outback has self-levelling it's already ok on that score.

Thank you mss1tw. That's really given me something to think about. The H7s are longer at the connection end and might not fit into the casing. AND, they are £99.95 a set so I'm loth to buy a set to try. But, in the case of the W5Ws, while they look longer too, it looks as though they might fit. Whether the 'filament' is in the correct place for the focal centre of the lens/reflector is another matter. With the side lights it doesn't matter as much

RT, why do I need headlamp washers ? I had them on a Volvo once and they were hardly ever used; I hardly knew they were there.

It's a legal requirement that HID fitment includes self-levelling and headlamp washers to avoid excessive dazzling of oncoming drivers - there used to be a loophole for after-market HID fitment but that has been closed for a while now.

It should be checked at MoT time and fail if not so equipped.

Subaru Outback - Duff headlights - gordonbennet

Hillman, are you using decent branded standard side/tail/stop/indicator bulbs such as Osram Philips Lucas, always been my experience that good branded bulbs last better than the other sort, which i've known to fizzle out as you fit them.

I usually buy packs of ten or so at a time when i need them (me kids invariably have bulbs out when they call so dad the freebulbfitter's stock vanishes), the H7 Osram ultralaser headlight bulb or whatever the latest brighter than nukem bright is called are doing very well so far...though i didn't buy those by the ten pack...if we had Avants money :-)

Edited by gordonbennet on 21/02/2015 at 21:16

Rt, I hadn't in mind to retrofit for HID lamps. I find them dazzling and wouldn't like to inflict them on somebody else. I find that the old standby halogen bulbs suit my pottering about style of driving, ie, keeping to speed limits. I did notice when I checked the dipped beam lights before driving over to Buxton last night that there was a noticeable film of road dirt (salt etc) on the lenses and that showed up.

gordonbennet, thanks for the tip. I generally buy bulbs from the dealer because they are, hopefully, makers spec. and tend to last the longest. When my last H7 bulb went I thought that I had a spare in the set that I keep, but all the bulbs were for the earlier model Legacy and didn't suit. So I bought a spare from my favourite garage, make Powertrain, which I was assured was a top spec bulb. I then bought a complete set of spares from the East Cheshire Subaru dealer, including three H7s, meaning to replace the other dipped beam bulb and still have two spares. I didn't get round to doing that, so I now have an 8 year old Subaru bulb in the offside and a new one by Neolux in the nearside.

As I said, I learned long ago that bulbs bought from the high street shops tend to have a short life and so I always, when I can, buy from the dealer. What I intended was to look for compatible LED bulbs because they tend to be more robust and, hopefully, last longer. Changing the bulbs used to be so easy - I did my first for a friend about 1960 - but now the design of car assumes that you have hands as small as Japanese ladies, and that's after taking off the air ducts and moving things about.

Subaru Outback - Duff headlights - Hamsafar

It's a legal requirement that HID fitment includes self-levelling and headlamp washers.....

I don't think that is the case any longer. Current Audi A1 and VW Beetle with HID don't have these.

According to the Audi website the A1 gets "Halogen Headlights" as standard on SE and Sport

"Xenon plus headlights with LED daytime running lights. Includes automatic headlight adjustment, dynamic range control and headlight washers" is standard on S-line.

Note the inclusion of "automatic headlight adjustment" and "headlight washers"

Subaru Outback - Duff headlights - focussed

Cree bulbs are not HID they are LED and produce the same beam pattern as a conventional filament bulb, but have a sharper cut-off and do not require washers or levellers as far as the mot is concerned.

The mot test is not a test of type-approval or homologation yet, but it's sure heading that way.