Purchased 2 new cars today - daveyK_UK

Hi,

we had 2 Nissan Notes as staff pool cars that where getting on (approaching 7 years old). There was nothing wrong with them and they had stood the test of time well, having various drivers drive them across the country often with 4 or 5 passengers in the vehicle.

However, a number of staff had asked for a change and I have been looking for a while now for a good deal.

The main 3 contenders have been the new shape Nissan Note, Dacia Logan MCV and Skoda Rapid.

The car needed to be a petrol as they are just as likely to be used to ferrying people to and from a train station 1 mile away as they are to go for a long drive down the A14.

It also needs to be OK to drive as on the odd occasion I have staff driving upto the highlands and I want them to be comfortable.

I considered lots of cars before I got to my short list -

vauxhall astra hatchback - good price (relativly speaking) but to many faults and problems reported by owners.

Ford Focus hatchback - cramped rear seats, good discounts available but dealer seemed uninterested.

Skoda Octavia - expensive IMO and no noise insulation but good rear space.

Nissan Pulsar - expensive due to no real discounts available, good rear leg room but cheap in places.

Honda Civic - expensive, no real discounts, poor rear leg room but an excellent reputation.

etc

Anyway, the short list.

3rd place - the nissan note.

As I have already stated, the old nissan notes where excellent. No trouble at all except for a road spring replacement from a pot hole.

I think these cars are a 2nd hand bargain, lots of cubbie holes, loads of space for the driver and passengers, decent fuel economy, reliable, etc.

But the new model when compared to the old model - every element of it strikes of cost cutting.

Nissan have gone down alot in my estimation.

And the verdict on the new Note like alot of other nissan products is of a company cost cutting where ever they can - this is an opinion shared by my good friend who is a senior technician at Nissan and the views of the majority of the people on the owners forum.

Dacia Logan MCV

its worth pointing out I was going to go for a 1.2 in ambience (mid range) trim.

The car drives OK which suprised me and the price tag is tempting.

But while the boot is huge, the rear leg room is no different to a Sandero and some of the cost cutting measures would clearly not last the 5 years or more I hope to get out of the car.

So, I ended up purchasing Skoda Rapid 1.2 TSi's.

First of, the cars drove well, it was worth paying the extra for the 105 bhp version.

OK level of kit nothing fantastic, but what sold it to me was the rear leg room and boot space.

The boot is simply huge for this size of car without the compromise of the leg room.

Im not a VAG fan but these cars in terms of value for money take some beating.

Yes the Octavia felt like slightly better and bigger but then it was considerably more expensive.

The rapid was well priced and judging by the number of taxis who are now driving Rapid's instead of Octavia's, I shouldnt have a problem getting parts.

And for those of you who think im a tight boss for only considering cars in the lower end of the price range, these are pool cars and are a tool - they are not meant to be for privilege.

Purchased 2 new cars today - balleballe

The Rapid/Toledo are what the Octavia used to be. A cheaper no frills VAG product. They depreciate a lot after a year or so so can be had for sub 10k (1.6tdi, unsure about the TSI)

Sat in one as a taxi, decent enough. I prefer the look of the Toledo though

I also prefer the look of the Toledo but the local Seat dealer has a bad reputation and didnt offer the same level of discount.

Purchased 2 new cars today - Bianconeri
I had a petrol Rapid as a hire car the other week (in Poland), pretty sure it was a 1.2. Hated it to be honest, very noisy and seats were dreadful, rattled like something from Mothercare and had done only a couple of thousand Km.

Each to his own I suppose.
Purchased 2 new cars today - craig-pd130

Interesting stuff, Davey - keep us posted on how the cars fare in the firm's ownership.

Purchased 2 new cars today - Chris79
I ve had a Toledo 1.6tdi for 5 months now. Bought a year old from a seat dealer for 10k and it has been very good so far. People are consistently amazed by the room in it. 56-62mpg thus far (calculated)

Criticisms thus far:

Drivers seat whilst not uncomfortable could do with a little more lower back support

Dealer worse than useless

Overall though I am very pleased with the car. It has become our family car, the other car in the household whilst being a nice car (q3) is beaten hands down by the Toledo in terms of practicality and boot space.
Purchased 2 new cars today - corax
Drivers seat whilst not uncomfortable could do with a little more lower back support

Is there any way you can get inside the backrest? On my car the fabric unzipped, and I was able to stuff some foam sheeting between the internal metal frame and original cushioning. While not perfect, it's better than it was. I find most aftermarket lumbar supports too thick.

Purchased 2 new cars today - xtrailman

Was there a reason no korean cars were considered?

The Kia dealer is useless and the Hyundai dealer doesn't believe in discounts.

It's a shame as the venga/ix20 are good cars and prices elsewhere in the country are discounted to make them good value cars.

Purchased 2 new cars today - Chris79
Doesn't appear to be any way to unzip the outer seat cover. I ll just have to have a look at ebay at alternative options. It's a shame about the seats, this car replaced a 07 corsa that had far better seats but a far worse engine in terms of driveability!.
Purchased 2 new cars today - Happy Blue!

How very interesting. I have just posted how I need to buy a car for a member of staff, but I will drive it for the first few months as my son learns to drive and we only have automatics at home normally. My short list was the Note, Polo and Rapid/Toledo twins. I will add the ix20 and Venga to the list and see what happens.

Purchased 2 new cars today - oldtoffee

drive the deal seem to get the best prices out of dealers and they quote £1,400 off the Venga and £1,600 off the ix20. £3,000 off a Rapid 1.2TSi, £4k off a Note.

Purchased 2 new cars today - slkfanboy

Why not use a car broker then you don't have to like the dealer and get best car and price.

I guess Kia & Hyundai are happly with they sales margins and volumes and don't need to offer discounts.

Purchased 2 new cars today - comfycar

Ah-hem. What is a car broker?

Purchased 2 new cars today - alan1302

Ah-hem. What is a car broker?

Car Broker

Purchased 2 new cars today - skidpan

Bought my last car, a Seat Leon via a broker called Carfile who is one of the most respected and longest standing in the field. I saved almost £3000 compared to what the local dealers wanted.

Just looked at their site for the Skoda Rapid. The 1.2 TSi SE 105 is priced at £12463 which is a discount of £3327. Doubt if any local dealer would match that. They also do PX's and I got exactly the same as the local dealer was offering.

Here is a link. www.carfile.net/business/skoda-rapid-12_tsi_105_se...9

Purchased 2 new cars today - Avant

That's useful to know about Carfile. Drivethedeal are also very reputable but don't do PXs - at least they didn't last time I looked which admittedly was a couple of years ago.

Purchased 2 new cars today - comfycar

Thank you for that :)

Purchased 2 new cars today - xtrailman

Why do you have to buy locally?

They are usually useful for test drives and servicing if price competitive, otherwise i will drive elsewhere.

Sounds like a quick way of paying more for the same product. DTD certainly give some of the best quotes my opinion.

Purchased 2 new cars today - Bianconeri

Why do you have to buy locally?

They are usually useful for test drives and servicing if price competitive, otherwise i will drive elsewhere.

Sounds like a quick way of paying more for the same product. DTD certainly give some of the best quotes my opinion.

Buying locally helps the local economy and that in returns helps you. If no one shops or buys locally then there is no 'locally' to buy things from. I'm not a charity and I don't like paying over the odds for anything but I always try to spend my cash near to where I live. I also back myself to get the right deal by negotiating face to face. I apply the same logic to my company's operations. In fact our policy is it to buy anything without checking if we could buy the same thing locally at a similar overall price. That policy is getting known and we get all sorts of discounts and benefits. Give local businesses the chance to match the prices you are offered over the web but remember they aren't charities either. When you need help will the local dealer be so obliging because you had to save that extra £100 by buying from a web company? You'll get your warranty repairs for sure but you'll be behind me in the queue. One if my beefs about Britain is that I can find a thousand web sites telling me how to get things cheaper but none about buying better.
Purchased 2 new cars today - Smileyman

Using local shop as a showroom but buying elsewhere - is this new? - no, this may well be the reason Comet went bust, it also creates an opportunity for other retailers and e-tailers to benefit from the reduced competition.

Motor manufacturers impose heavy costs on garages for showroom appeal, branding etc, this cost has to be recovered somwhere and often it is the public buyer forced to pay (inflated) brochure prices who pays more.

Usually volume buyers do benefit from lower unit prices, as I see it the benefit of approaching a broker is to give the likes of me a look in on these better prices, after all, all cars are still sourced via the dealer network. I too am not a charity, but I will see if the local merchant can match or get close to the lower priced merchants, after all, they will live in and support the local community with their business and staff empoyment too.

Well I got the cars for a huge £30 less than drivethedeals best price and I got 2 spare wheels thrown in, but then again I was buying 2 so had a bit more buying power.

Purchased 2 new cars today - Happy Blue!

I think I have settled on the Skoda Rapid 1.2TSi Connect with Bluetooth, SatNav and Cruise. Carfile have them at about £3,000 off list. I just need to drive one now to see if I like it before I order one.

It will be perfect for me for a few months and my member of staff who it will eventually go to, will much prefer it over the Clio he has. My only query is car insurance. See my new thread.

A quick update,

both cars where sold via car buying service after passing their first MOT's a few weeks back.

Both cars proved reliable, fuel efficent and the boot space and rear leg room was excellent.

One racked up 58k the other 83k

We are not replacing them this time round, we are moving on from this business and the new potential owner has his own ideas.

I did intend on selling them at 3 years old once the warranty ran out due to the TSI timing chain issues, but there was no sign of any problems such as rattle, etc

Look out for 2 FSH Skoda Rapid's likely to be going through BCA Peterborough in the near future, both good cars and excellent value for money.

When we're asked for car buying advice it's easy to forget the Skoda Rapid. Quite otten people are looking for a small or smallish car with a big boot and/or plenty of room in the back.

I believe the otherwise undistinguished Nissan Pulsar has lots of legroom too.

Interesting to revisit this thread, DaveyK, and see how you came by your decision in 2015. Glad it was shown to have been the right one.

When we're asked for car buying advice it's easy to forget the Skoda Rapid. Quite otten people are looking for a small or smallish car with a big boot and/or plenty of room in the back.

Avant. Have you ever looked at the Rapid and its sister the Seat Cordoba. A bit of looking at the specs soon tells a different story.

Our Fabia 110 SE-L with a few options will have cost us approx £11500 after discounts. A Rapid spaceback with the same engine to near enough the same spec would have cost us £14000. The Rapid has a little more legroom in the back and a bit bigger boot but some of the trim quality is woeful and they are still a narrow car, fine with adults in the back, would not want to be the 3rd. They are afterall based on the same platform as the Mk 2 Fabia which was introduced about 9 years ago.

When I mentioned them to the salesman (there was a high spec one next to his desk) he said not to bother, not good, they sold very few. Saw an article that a new one is due next year which Skoda are taking more seriously (based on current technology) and are pitching at the Golf and Leon, obviously fitting between the Fabia and Octavia. Priced sensibly it could be a winner.

The final nail in the Rapids coffin is the Leon 1.2 SE Dynamic Tech. Better equipped than the Rapid, better finished and more space for people (a bit less for luggage), after discounts at Drive the Deal (Carfile do not sell Seat) about £13700.

Who would buy the lemon of the Skoda range?

Purchased 2 new cars today - Chris M

Our local taxi firm. They have dozens of white ones.

Moved away from i30s and i40s. I wonder if the move was based on reliability or overall running costs?

Our local taxi firm. They have dozens of white ones.

Interesting. 3 years ago when Dad had been moved from Hospital into a nursing home he was due to attend hospital for an outpatients appointment. We could have taken him in our car (the Micra at the time) but the home manager said that for various reasons we should use a taxi for hospital visits and have it invoiced and she would organise it. The cab needed to be a decent size to take a wheelchair but he was mobile enough at the time to get into a car thus a ramped taxi was not needed.

A Rapid arrived (not the spaceback) and the wheelchair fitted in with ease, but dad could not get into the back. He could at that time (and for another 2 years) get into the back of the Micra and Note with no issues. So he had to sit in the front which was not ideal. Me and the Mrs sat in the back and got chatting to the driver who was not happy. Basically the chap who ran the taxi's had bought 2 Rapids and they were proving to be a disaster. He had found that he was getting reduced work at the weekend because people at both the rank were avoiding the Rapid bacause of the lack of rear space for large 3 persons (if there are 2 couples going home from town you need to fit 4 persons plus the driver). The same was also happening with bookings. He went on to say that the situation was actually officially worse since a council official (who had used the cab) had complained to the licencing officer about the car having only 2 rear head restriants and the capacity had been reduced to 3 passengers (our Fabia has 2 rear restraints as standard, the 3rd is an option). He was looking for a job with another firm at the time.

No Rapids on our local rank now, mostly Partners, Berlingos, Transits and Doblos.

Purchased 2 new cars today - Chris M

I know they have dozens of them because they store them in an otherwise unused corner of the local Asda Walmart car park. They have other makes, but there are certainly a lot of Rapids there weekdays when I make an occasional visit. Maybe they use them for school runs. I guess most daytime work doesn't require 4 passenger seats e.g. shopping and hospital runs.

Maybe the seats are particularly vomit proof for Weekend use?

Edited by Chris M on 17/04/2018 at 16:32

Purchased 2 new cars today - Smileyman

Interesting comments about the Rapid, I drive the SEAT Toledo, identical car except it's better specced and there are some very good offers for the SEAT versions for those who look.

For a couple the car is excellent, very large boot (2++ large suitcases) ... lots of useful toys ... I think I've a back passenger in the car just once since purchase in August. I know some are critical of the ride / handling, I have not noticed any shortcomings, it's easy to find something better wherever one looks, but that's true for life in general.

Purchased 2 new cars today - Engineer Andy

I've seen brokers offering the Rapid/Toledo for £11.2k/£12.5k repsectively for the lowest in the range. The Leon is undoubtedly the better car, but a £1-2.5k saving is still a lot for anyone on a tight budget wanting A to B wheels, especially when the car will be doing a reasonable mileage anyway and thus not worth that much after 3-5 years.

Purchased 2 new cars today - colinh

It's a shame as the venga/ix20 are good cars and prices elsewhere in the country are discounted to make them good value cars.

Amazing how marketing varies by country - Hyundai Spain are offering 24% discounts on the ix20 on their official website, and invite you to discuss further with your local dealer!

Purchased 2 new cars today - badbusdriver

I'm not sure everyone would agree with the description of the rapid being a lemon!. I realise this post is on the toledo, but they are essentially the same car,

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/119666/seat-toledo...w

Also, describing the rapid's boot as being 'a bit bigger' than the fabia is slightly misleading given that it is actually more than 65% bigger. As for the width, yes it is quite a narrow car, but if, like me, you live on a very narrow street, that would be a plus point. Having said that, i find it difficult to believe the extra 26mm width of the Fabia would make a huge difference. Our jazz is slightly narrower still than the Rapid and so long as the occupants are not too broad of girth, 3 can fit on the back seat without too much discomfort.

Our local taxi firm's run a lot of both Rapid's and Toledo's

Skidpan’s opinion is incorrect
The local taxi firms around here mainly use Dacia Logan MCV’s, Ford Focus estates and Skoda Rapids/Seat Toledo

There are big discounts available on the Rapid, unlike the Octavia which is now expensive
The comparison to a Seat Leon is wrong, the Leon had a smaller boot and less rear leg room.
Plus the Leon is a Seat, and there isn’t any Seat dealers in this region with a good reputation.

The boot in the Rapid is over 50% bigger than a Fabia

The rear leg room in a Rapid is way bigger than the cramped Fabia

But the best example is real life use - those 2 Rapids have had 3/4/5 staff or visitors in them pretty much every day including on long trips and everyone much prefers them to the old shape Nissan Notes in terms of comfort of ride on A roads and motorways.
The Rapid was a lot more relaxed as a cruiser

The new 1.0 tsi fitted to the Rapid is meant to be fine , I would like to try one if I ever get the chance when hiring a car.

Also, describing the rapid's boot as being 'a bit bigger' than the fabia is slightly misleading given that it is actually more than 65% bigger.

The boot in the Rapid is over 50% bigger than a Fabia

The boot in Fabia hatch is quoted as 330 litres. I was comparing it to the Rapid Spaceback (if people had bothered to read) which has a quoted capacity of 405 litres. Bigger by 22% not the 50% or 65% quoted by other less accuarte posters.

The "normal" Rapid and Seat do have a bigger boot but I was not comparing that.

The rear leg room in a Rapid is way bigger than the cramped Fabia

Its not "way bigger", its a bit bigger. The Leon is defintely a match and maybe bit bigger, we did have one for 4 years you know and the Note has much more than either.

If you want me to compare the "normal" Rapid and Seat to a Fabia the only fair comparison is the Estate. It has more legroom than the hatch so its probably similar to the Rapid. The boot of the estate is 530 litres so its only 4% different but being an estate its much more flexible than a hatch. The killer is price. Using Carfile a Fabia Estate 1.0 SE-L 110 is £13700, the Rapid Hatchback 1.0 SE-L 110 is £15600, a difference of £1900 (with there is another £1500 off both those prices if you go for the PCP). In all seriousness who is going to pay £1900 extra for a Rapid instead of the highly rated Fabia, only those that have been certified insane since the Rapid is based on old underpinnings and has poorer quality fittings inside. And never forget residuals, the Rapid is prediced to retain 28% after 3 years, the Fabia 38%.

So who is going to buy the Rapid instead of the Fabia now?

Plese note that I am not anti Skoda, having bought 2 in the last 18 months proves that. But its a fact that the Rapid is a lemon, it was a lemon 5 years ago when they introduced it and it still is. Even Skoda admit it, the only country that buys it in any numbers is the Czech Republic. In 2017 Skoda sold 177,116 Fabia's in Europe, they sold 66,512 Rapids.

Think that says it all.

Edited by Avant on 18/04/2018 at 11:00

Each to their own.

The Fabia clearly fulfils more people's needs, and I've never been convinced that there was enough of a gap between Fabia and Octavia for another model. But 66.512 Europeans must have thought there was.

The Fabia clearly fulfils more people's needs, and I've never been convinced that there was enough of a gap between Fabia and Octavia for another model.

Neither have I simply because if you want a bigger Fabia buy the estate.

And why edit my post, what was wrong with it. Loads of apammers get on with no action for ages yet my resoned post appears to be out of order for some reason.

"And why edit my post; what was wrong with it?"

Your original was 'What idiot on here is going to buy the Rapid?" I'll continue to edit your posts until you stop calling other forum members idiots just because they disagree with you.

Spam is removed daily.

Edited by Avant on 18/04/2018 at 16:15

Purchased 2 new cars today - badbusdriver

"And why edit my post; what was wrong with it?"

Your original was 'What idiot on here is going to buy the Rapid?" I'll continue to edit your posts until you stop calling other forum members idiots just because they disagree with you.

Spam is removed daily.

I'd probably fall into that category Avant! (not least because i like our jazz CVT), though strictly speaking i wouldn't have been 'buying' one. My wife gets a motablity car and due to it's dimensions along with the width (lack of) on our street, i would have given the Rapid serious consideration. Unfortunately there were no appealing deals at the time for either the Rapid or Toledo. Of course even if there was, the DSG would have put me off. But otherwise, a small cheapish car with an enormous boot?, assuming you are not bothered about vanity and how soft the dashboard plastic feels, what's not to like?

To summarise,
The Skoda Rapids were 2 good cars, no issues, plenty of space and good fuel economy.

Now VAG have sorted out the timing chain/timing belt issue on the TSi engines, they are even more of a bargain.

I had a new diesel Skoda Kodiaq as a hire car this week, nice fit and finish, diesel pulled it along nicely but the cornering and handling was way jittery and fussy. Plus the 2 seats in the boot to make it a 7 seater are for kids who can do without a booster seat, absolutely no use for anyone over 4 foot due to the leg space which is minimal.

Interesting thoughts about the Kodiaq, Davey - showing that any car of this nature (MPV, SUV - the distinction is blurred) has to be a compromise.

The Kodiaq has the usual Skoda virtues, but as you say it's not the best at handling, and it's not the best at seating seven. The only answer has to be to draw up one's own list of priorities, and see what comes nearest to the ideal - which as our discussion about the Rapid shows, won't be the same for everyone.

For example, our Audi Q2 is on order because we need:

- big engine, medium size of car

- more fun to drive than my V60 (not too big an ask, this one)

- ability to make into a small van, particularly for my music keyboard

- the right height off the ground so that you don't have to climb either up or down when getting in and out

- at the same time handling like a car rather than a 'high-sided vehicle'.

Edited by Avant on 19/04/2018 at 23:59

Purchased 2 new cars today - Chrome

My father purchased a Rapid Spaceback 1.2 105bhp TSI to replace a Mazda 2. He looked at the Fabia hatch but much preferred the RS for the narrow build (fits in the garage easily) and superior all round legroom. He also preferred the looks of the RS to the Fabia. I sort of agree with him on that as the RS looks very good from the back (almost Audi estate like) and the front, less so from the side profile. Having driven it I found the engine smooth, handling pretty good, nice dashboard and interior space to be generous. Definitely not a lemon or bad car. I did not like the fiddly touchscreen 'infotainment' system but that is probably me being a bit of a luddite!