Help! Need advice on reliable diesel for £2k-£3k - dudebrosis

Hi

not much of a car person, only ever had a focus petrol to date, but just got a new job thats going to require a 70 mile round trip daily - so about 18,000 miles per year. Journey is about 30% Town, 70% dual carriage/motorway. Also would have to last 2-3 years before considering something a bit better

I've been told that diesels were the way to go, and reliable even at high mileages, but the last few days i've learned about all sorts of terrifying things like

- Diesel Particulate Filters
- Dual Mass Flywheels

Was going to go with a 1.6tdci focus mk2 - eg. Like this one

but after hearing all sorts of horror stories about failure rates of the above, particularly around 100K, not sure what to do

Some googling has people recommending

- 2.0TDI Mk3 mondeo - seems a bit big for my needs, but reliability is key

- VW Passat 1.9 TDI PD - again a bit big, and mpg isnt massive, but reliable?

A few other ones i saw mentioned include

- VW Golf - cant seem to find one within budget nearby without massive mileage or incomplete service history

- Skoda Fabia, but personally find them absolutely hideous....

...so absolutely no idea what to do - anyone got any thoughts?

Cheers!

Edited by dudebrosis on 17/02/2015 at 13:15

Help! Need advice on reliable diesel for £2k-£3k - daveyK_UK

Kia Rio with less than 120,000 miles on.

They go on trouble free upto 180k BUT you must service the engine more regulary than the schedule suggests.

Thanks! Dont know much about KIA's so nicely surprised to see plenty of low(ish) mileage examples nearby...so could be a definite contender!

Help! Need advice on reliable diesel for £2k-£3k - RobJP

In general, people who bought those diesel Passats / Mondeos when new (or new-ish), bought them because they were doing a lot of mileage, and wanted something that didn't need a drink at every petrol station it passed.

For £2-3k, those same cars are now closing in on a decade old, are tired, worn out, and have seen interstellar mileages.

So buying a 'reliable' Passat / Mondeo for that price really is a case of rolling the dice. You might be lucky, and get something that runs for 2-3 years without major problems. Or it might leave you stranded on the roadside every couple of month, or need a fair bit spending on it, to keep it from leaving you stranded.

For £2-3k, those same cars are now closing in on a decade old, are tired, worn out, and have seen interstellar mileages.

So buying a 'reliable' Passat / Mondeo for that price really is a case of rolling the dice. You might be lucky, and get something that runs for 2-3 years without major problems. Or it might leave you stranded on the roadside every couple of month, or need a fair bit spending on it, to keep it from leaving you stranded.

thats what i'm afraid of - the kia is looking more like my only option at this price range!

Help! Need advice on reliable diesel for £2k-£3k - Andrew-T

... nicely surprised to see plenty of low(ish) mileage examples nearby...so could be a definite contender!

So you ask why so many owners choose to sell their cars at a low mileage?

You haven't much to spend - so your car will be 'middle-aged' - so you need to know if it has been reliable and looked after.

So it's bit of a lottery, and you need to be careful or have a good 'nose'. In your favour is that older diesels (<2009) may well not have a DPF. Also if you are only used to a petrol, you may find driving a diesel a bit different, so try one or two first.

Edited by Andrew-T on 17/02/2015 at 16:00

So it's bit of a lottery, and you need to be careful or have a good 'nose'. In your favour is that older diesels (<2009) may well not have a DPF. Also if you are only used to a petrol, you may find driving a diesel a bit different, so try one or two first.

i've driven diesels plenty as rentals on holiday etc. so no real problems there!

not ending up with a complete lemon on the other hand...thats the tricky part :)

Help! Need advice on reliable diesel for £2k-£3k - Ordovices

Hyundai Elantra, Kia Cerato.

Had an Elantra for 130000+ only got rid of it because I inherited something newer.

Help! Need advice on reliable diesel for £2k-£3k - Andrew-T

<< not ending up with a complete lemon on the other hand...thats the tricky part :) >>

I don't think there are actually a lot of lemons out there. It's just the worry that if someone's car is up for sale, there must be an awful reason (and of course there may be). Shop round privately in your price range, and take your time (and perhaps a knowledgeable friend if you aren't that confident). You won't get a warranty (for what that may be worth) but you should save enough to make up for it.

Perhaps best to have a short list of possible models, not just one which is slightly safer statistically.

Help! Need advice on reliable diesel for £2k-£3k - mss1tw

... nicely surprised to see plenty of low(ish) mileage examples nearby...so could be a definite contender!

So you ask why so many owners choose to sell their cars at a low mileage?

You haven't much to spend - so your car will be 'middle-aged' - so you need to know if it has been reliable and looked after.

At 70 miles a day the DPF isn't a concern of the OP anyway. It's the rest of the diesel engine/transmission.

Help! Need advice on reliable diesel for £2k-£3k - Chrome

Kia Rio with less than 120,000 miles on.

They go on trouble free upto 180k BUT you must service the engine more regulary than the schedule suggests.

That would be the Rio mk2? That is what I have with 8yrs/60k on. No dpf or dual mass flywheel. Chain cam engine. Full size spare wheel. Rock solid and reliable. Plenty of go with 110bhp and the handling is not bad at all. The steering could have more feel but not an issue once you get used to it (like the right hand indicator stalk). If only everything in life was a reliable as a Rio (sorry vw!).

Help! Need advice on reliable diesel for £2k-£3k - Alby Back
For an alternative thought, what about a small petrol car? I'm in Italy at present on a business trip and have a hired Panda. I've run up a few hundred miles since I arrived last weekend and have got quite used to the little car. Sure it's no ball of fire in reality but like all small Italian cars it thinks it's a Ferrari!
Fuel economy is very good and it's quite good fun to drive.

If you don't especially need the room for your commute maybe a similar sort of thing might suit?
Help! Need advice on reliable diesel for £2k-£3k - bazza

Unless you can find a really well maintained diesel pre-DPF such as a 1.9 PD, with less than 100K or so --and I think you'll struggle --- then I just wouldn't bother with a diesel at all. You'll save what? £25 to £30 quid or so a month on fuel. At your budget, there are plenty of decent petrol Japanese hatchbacks around, all of which will do 40+ mpg on a journey like that. I'm thinking Corolla, Civic, 1.3 Yaris, . Find a nice well serviced one, say with 60 to 80K and these cars will run easily to 120, 130K and well beyond, with perhaps just a clutch change to think about plus routine servicing and replacement of consumables. Even something bigger like a 1.8 Avensis will be cheap to run, boring-maybe but dependable, comfortable, safe and gets the job done.

Unless you can find a really well maintained diesel pre-DPF such as a 1.9 PD, with less than 100K or so --and I think you'll struggle --- then I just wouldn't bother with a diesel at all. You'll save what? £25 to £30 quid or so a month on fuel. At your budget, there are plenty of decent petrol Japanese hatchbacks around, all of which will do 40+ mpg on a journey like that. I'm thinking Corolla, Civic, 1.3 Yaris, . Find a nice well serviced one, say with 60 to 80K and these cars will run easily to 120, 130K and well beyond, with perhaps just a clutch change to think about plus routine servicing and replacement of consumables. Even something bigger like a 1.8 Avensis will be cheap to run, boring-maybe but dependable, comfortable, safe and gets the job done.

Yes, looks like a cheap and cheerful petrol could be on the cards - ultimately might be more hassle free + cheaper to buy for the short term

Can look at something more substantial in a couple of years (assuming the job goes well!)

For an alternative thought, what about a small petrol car? I'm in Italy at present on a business trip and have a hired Panda.If you don't especially need the room for your commute maybe a similar sort of thing might suit?

yes, been thinking just that - diesel may be more trouble than its worth at this price range!

That would be the Rio mk2? That is what I have with 8yrs/60k on. No dpf or dual mass flywheel. Chain cam engine. Full size spare wheel. Rock solid and reliable. Plenty of go with 110bhp and the handling is not bad at all.

sounds like another thumbs up for the kia!

And thanks to everyone for all the replies, very much appreciated!

Help! Need advice on reliable diesel for £2k-£3k - tanvir

I did similar miles for about 6 months in my 2008 Focus 1.6 Petrol, averaged 39ish MPG in doing so. Maybe stick with what you have and buy something nicer in a few years?

I did similar miles for about 6 months in my 2008 Focus 1.6 Petrol, averaged 39ish MPG in doing so. Maybe stick with what you have and buy something nicer in a few years?

unfortunately i got rid of it a few years ago as i just didnt need it due to current job being round the corner from where i live!