Battery testing? - P3t3r

My battery is over 4 years old and I know that it could fail at any time. I don't want this to happen at an inconvenient time. Is it possible to test a battery to predict when it will fail? I know you can test it once it has failed, but can testers predict it before it happens?

Battery testing? - RT

My battery is over 4 years old and I know that it could fail at any time. I don't want this to happen at an inconvenient time. Is it possible to test a battery to predict when it will fail? I know you can test it once it has failed, but can testers predict it before it happens?

An auto electrician can carry out a "drop test", usually free of charge.

Many car batteries don't fail after time, they can go on for "ever" - depends on your pattern of usage, whether trips are long enough to recharge them.

I've had several cheap Vauxhall batteries last 8 years in a car and then a further 8 years as a leisure battery in a caravan - I've also had an expensive Panasonic in a Subaru fail at 2 years old.

Battery testing? - martint123

I don't think you can test and predict battery failure nowadays.

I have found that they suddenly die or lose 80% of their capacity with no warning. I suspect it is down to mechanical failure internally

Battery testing? - P3t3r

I think I'll just leave it then. My battery has a good life so it should have more life in it.

Battery testing? - elekie&a/c doctor

Most modern batteries require a conductance test to evaluate their seviceability.This measures the capabilty of a battery to hold a charge.An old fashioned drop test does not do this.This is the way main dealers test batteries.

Battery testing? - Doc

This video shows various test methods, including conductance.

Results are surprising.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oi8sUE9XCgA

Battery testing? - brum

My Skoda dealer insists on doing a drop load test every service presumably with one of those big shorting link things. As an electronics engineer I shudder at the thought on short circuiting a lead acid battery and the damage it does to the plates.

Theres no need to test a one year old battery that has never given any trouble. Or are they trying invest in their future by insuring they damage the battery early so they can sell me another in 2 or 3 years time?

Battery testing? - RT

My Skoda dealer insists on doing a drop load test every service presumably with one of those big shorting link things. As an electronics engineer I shudder at the thought on short circuiting a lead acid battery and the damage it does to the plates.

Theres no need to test a one year old battery that has never given any trouble. Or are they trying invest in their future by insuring they damage the battery early so they can sell me another in 2 or 3 years time?

The "drop test" doesn't short the battery - it allows a high current to flow, approximating starter current, for a very short time, typically 10 seconds and evaluates the voltage drop during that time.

If that concerns you, I wouldn't go starting your engine!

Battery testing? - meldrew

This video shows various test methods, including conductance.

Results are surprising.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oi8sUE9XCgA

Well worth a look. Thanks for the link.

Battery testing? - skidpan

Battery on our Micra is over 7 years old and is the original. Car gets used everyday and still starts the car fine, will worry when it doesn't.

But on the Caterham I find that a good quality batteries lasts about 5 years on average. Its only used during the summer mainly at weekends but during the winter the battery is stored indoors and is charged with a conditioner type charger frequenty to try and prevent the calcium? build up in the bottom that tends to stop them working. Current battery (Exide Premium 063) is 6 years old next month and was working fine when last used in October. Was garanteed for 4 years and a new one is currently £44.34 at Euro Car Parts. Not going to get stressed at that price.

Battery testing? - Wackyracer

The battery on our Astra is now 14 years old. It is starting to shows signs of slower cranking now when cold.

Ironically I did replace the battery on the Astra some years ago with a new one from an online battery company and failed in less than 12months, so the original one got stuck back on.

I'm now pondering on changing it but, can't decide if I should get another Exide or something else as they all seem to offer 3 year warranties anyway. I won't be buying one online so if it does fail I can just take it back to the shop.

Battery testing? - elekie&a/c doctor

I would call Vauxhall main dealer,they often have good deals on batteries.