Why did you buy a dash cam? - yogibear1

Hi everyone

I’m thinking about buying a dash cam for my car, people I speak to about it say I’m being over the top and a bit strange for wanting to record my journeys. How common are dash cams, if you’ve got one what made you buy it?

Thanks

Why did you buy a dash cam? - RobJP

They're getting a lot more common - almost universal on HGVs, coaches, buses and taxis these days (taxis often have internal cams too, to protect drivers and passengers). Moderately common on company cars, the private car driver seems to be late adopting.

In a lot of accidents that do not result in a serious injury, the police do not get involved. As such, it will be your word against the other driver.

In cases where a cyclist, pedestrian, or another driver does something stupid, it can save you a lot of grief, your NCD, prosecution, and possibly even your licence.

EDIT : have a look at this thread, and the link through from it. In some of those cases, it is pretty clear (and will be to the authorities) what has happened. But in some, if no footage was taken,both parties could argue that the other was to blame.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=108160

Edited by RobJP on 03/02/2015 at 15:44

Why did you buy a dash cam? - bathtub tom

I've had a dashcam for a couple of years, proved invaluable when 'white van man' clipped the front of my car in a parking area just after I'd stopped. He denied it until I pointed out the camera!

I'm thinking of getting a helmet cam for my pushbiking.

Why did you buy a dash cam? - mss1tw

Increasing mileages and near misses.

Why did you buy a dash cam? - galileo

In case of 'crash for cash' incidents - not uncommon in some parts of the country .

Why did you buy a dash cam? - daveyjp
If you have one just remember it is there and don't get hoisted by your own petard.

Police have used the footage to prosecute the 'victim' after showing their own driving was less than perfect prior to the incident.
Why did you buy a dash cam? - Smileyman

well said, I put a dash cam into the car when I started a long distance (40 miles each way) commute for a new job, no bells or whistles (sound, GPS etc), just records the image seen outside the windscreen.

Why did you buy a dash cam? - Plinky

I have a Roadhawk HD. It was expensive but the video is crystal clear and it also has GPS for speed/coordinates and a g-force register so if it detects an impact it will save the log so that it can't be overwritten. You can 'force' it to record events in the case of you witnessing an accident. I currently have it set to record in 1min increments which means that it's on a loop - when the SD card's full it overwrites the older video (except the Events logs). You can get it hardwired into your vehicle but I haven't. The wire hanging down doesn't get in the way and it means I can move it between cars (especially as I bought the suction mount separately, for this reason). The interface that you download separately to view the video/change settings is extremely user friendly.

There were several reasons for buying it:

If I was ever in an accident that wasn't my fault (especially with the increase of 'crash for cash' accidents), I wanted actual proof rather than relying on witnesses/the honesty of the other parties.

I like roadtrips and had a notion that I could create fast-motion videos of the journey (not so much anymore....my one and only effort had a ridiculously hefty file size and I got bored watching it after 10mins!)

Many years ago when a van crashed into me on a roundabout I was lucky enough to have a passing taxi driver come back, after dropping off his passenger, and give me his details to use as a witness. If I (or the camera) witnessed an accident, I'd return the favour and send them the footage for their case.

I'm very happy with the camera and the only issue I have with it is that it doesn't have an internal battery so, once you've switched the engine off/unplugged it, it switches off after about 3 seconds. A shame as it would be useful to be able to detach it from the mount and film the scene of an accident without having to leave the engine running and the cord attached.

On a side note, I have a feeling that I'm mistaken for an undercover police car occasionally as, especially if the SatNavs on the windscreen too, I've noticed on several occasions, whilst pottering along at 70 in the inside lane, cars flying up on the outside, slam on the brakes and get in behind me (for no reason e.g. slip roads). They'll nervously sit there for a while until someone else comes flying past and I don't react, then they're off! :)

Why did you buy a dash cam? - skidpan

On a forum I used to frequent one regular poster put up to link to a video he had recorded on his in car camera showing him getting his car up to 130 mph on a public road.

A few weeks later the same poster was on claiming he had been forced off the road and had written his car off. He claimed he was rushing to an interview when the incident happened but he was insitant he was driving safely within the speed limits just like he always did.

The previous video was pointed out to him which clearly shows he was a muppet. He never posted again.

Best part was the interview, it was for the Fire Brigade.

Why did you buy a dash cam? - Gibbo_Wirral

I can't speak for other insurers, but Adrian Flux offers a discount on your premium if you have any of the following dash cams:

• ChilliBongo
• ForView FHX 2000 & FHX 1000
• Auto Eye UK
• MI Witness HD Camera
• Black Vue – 380 & 400 G.HD
• VCAM
• IPIXI
• Next Base InCarCam – Lite / Deluxe / Professional Models
• SmartCam2
• Smart Witness Cameras
• Exeros HD Car Cameras -l HD 1080P model within built speed camera detection
• Roadhawk Forward Facing DC1
• Novus System – View I Ruby and Silver Systems
• TTW Black Vue Cameras
• Phantom Cameras
• Silent Witness – SW010

Why did you buy a dash cam? - hillman

What do the BRs think of having a 'dash cam' in the back too ? I was told of a case where a friend observed a car driving into the rear of another car waiting at a stop sign. My friend gave his name as a witness and the injured party contacted him later and told my friend that the driver who caused the accident was accusing him of reversing into his car.

Why did you buy a dash cam? - RobJP

What do the BRs think of having a 'dash cam' in the back too ? I was told of a case where a friend observed a car driving into the rear of another car waiting at a stop sign. My friend gave his name as a witness and the injured party contacted him later and told my friend that the driver who caused the accident was accusing him of reversing into his car.

If you've got a forward-facing dashcam, it will clearly show if you were moving forward or reversing at the time of an impact.

good point, a rear view cam might offer advantages, although a front facing cam should be able to show whether the vehcile was moving forwards or backwards

Why did you buy a dash cam? - edlithgow

Could sometimes be useful here, but goes against the local culture.

Few drivers in Taiwan have the slightest interest in what is happening behind them.

www.liveleak.com/view?i=4c7_1321300653

Overhead coverage would be useful sometimes as well.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ifs7D3fdSp8

www.liveleak.com/view?i=bcd_1317057879

www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpeB20HnSgo

anyone who drives at 130mph on a public highway in the UK deserves to go prison, for a start the speed differentials between this vehicle and the others is far too great for safety

Why did you buy a dash cam? - Leif
I have an Ambarella 0801 dashcam, installed six months ago. The video has already been used as evidence in a crash and a driver was fined.

Frankly I think a dashcam is essential, unless you routinely break the law. It can improve your driving, since you know you must be in the right for the evidence to be of value to you.
Why did you buy a dash cam? - Manatee

The incidence of drivers accepting fault at the scene and then blaming the innocent party when they fill in the claim form (it's happened to me and my wife) is so high that it's worth having as much evidence as possible.

I put cameras in both main cars last year. In November, my wife ran into the back of another car at a roundabout. Although there couldn't have been much doubt who was to blame, the video was interesting...my wife's clear memory was that the car in front had departed. The video showed it never moved, and she just drove into the back of it at 10mph!

The lesson being that even sincere witnesses are quite likely to have a faulty memory of what happened.

In fact, the roundabout was clear - the car in front could have gone, but just didn't. The driver was from 200 miles away, and was presumably pondering which way to go. Second lesson, don't hang around at roundabouts!

Why did you buy a dash cam? - yogibear1

Its interesting that most of you who have dash cams seem to have purchased one for the insurance claim aspect. Had you had a bad experience with a claim that made you want one?

I've had two crashes in my life, one on ice in which I would love to replay the footage to see how I managed to avoid all the other cars and only slightly damage my car so no insurance involvement. The other to see what exactly happened as it happened so fast.

Why did you buy a dash cam? - bananastand

Anyone driving regularly in an English northern town will be aware of the need for a dash camera. Political correctness prevents further elaboration. The latest wheeze is for cash/crash accomplices to work in ever more complex teams involving vehicles behind you as well as in front. Flashing their lights, distractions, you can't fault em for ingeniousness.

Why did you buy a dash cam? - xtrailman

I've just ordered a Transcend 16GB DrivePro 200 Car Video Recorder with Built-In Wi-Fi.

After watching a couple of car crash programs i though it was time, this camera has a very wide angle, wider than most.

Why did you buy a dash cam? - spring

As a 'now and then' visitor to the site, I've just caught up with this, about which I am almost totally ignorant.

The content must have been good, as I am hooked.

Where do I start in choosing the right model (i.e. easy to follow the instructions) please. Any replies should be couched as if to a 5 year old.

Cheers Colin S

I was in the same position as you, and simply searched the interweb for reviews. I bought an Ambarella 0801 dashcam. I cannot say if it is the best, or how good it is compared to others, but it works well, even in the dark, assuming street and car lights of course. You can buy from a UK shop, from ebay and from China. I ruled out China, as electronics do go wrong. I bought from an ebay seller with a good reputation. He was very helpful when I could not work out how to use it. The user interface was not obvious. A UK shop will be most expensive, but you should get the best support, although that is not guaranteed.

I guess I would advise you against the Ambarella simply because the user interface is not obvious. I am sure someone can recommend a good unit. I suspect most units from reputable UK shops should be decent, such is technology these days.

I have the same unit ... I disagree with the conclusion not to buy this model.

I suggest visiting this web site where there are video dash cam reviews and listen to the comments made by the presenter. http://www.techmoan.com/

Before purchasing decide why you want the dash cam - is it simply to record yourneys in case of need to show video for yourself / family, to protect yourself as a taxi driver, or for your staff to use (if you employ people).

Dash cam prices vary considerably, so give thought to what you would want to spend and whether you would fit it yourself.

As an example, I changed jobs in 2013 and now drive 20k miles a year, I just want to record my yourney onto videos to use in the case of incident, so I went for the cheaper version without GPS tracking and do not record any sound. I fitted it myself, placed behind the rear view mirror and powered from the cigarette lighter using the supplied cable. The device records onto a mini SD card, to view or download the recorded video all I have to do is take the card out and place it into the computer

Edited by Smileyman on 28/02/2015 at 09:35

Oh no, the advert is obscuring the text! I cannot see some of this text. Help!

I wanted to say that the Ambarella is very good, but unintuitive. I was unable to configure it without help over the phone. The manual was not of use. Works very well though.
Why did you buy a dash cam? - galileo

As a 'now and then' visitor to the site, I've just caught up with this, about which I am almost totally ignorant.

The content must have been good, as I am hooked.

Where do I start in choosing the right model (i.e. easy to follow the instructions) please. Any replies should be couched as if to a 5 year old.

Cheers Colin S

Roadhawk DC1 has been fine for me, I was e-mailed a free upgrade to the playback software a while back. Shows GPS location, time,date etc. and reasonable quality video. Easy to install too.

Why did you buy a dash cam? - capricorn

I am in the process of searching for a dash camera but there are so many from ultra cheap to quite expensive that the problem is too much choice if anything.

Whilst price may be a good guide to quality does anyone have experience of using a low(ish) priced cam, say under £50, that they would recommend?

Why did you buy a dash cam? - xtrailman

Go on amazon and read the reviews, lots and lots of failures.

Why did you buy a dash cam? - capricorn

Go on amazon and read the reviews, lots and lots of failures

I'm more interested in people who have one that works rather than those that don't.