Next car - haven't bought it yet! - Extended warranty - what's it like? - ulysses

Hello

I am looking for my next used car on the private market. I have never used an extended warranty before, wondered if it would be worth it, and what other people's experiences were, good and bad.

As 10-year old cars are so much more money to buy these days it makes things quite a bit more risky.

Here are some examples: I bought my 2002 Polo in 2012 for £1700 and a year later it turns out it needs an engine rebuild possibly costing over £1000. So it's written off.

I want to get a Honda Jazz, like 2005/06 because my mother has an '03 which is very reliable. However they cost about £2500 to buy and there are known issues with the gearbox bearings that could emerge on the first generation Jazz. Second generation Jazzes cost £4000 and up, so no economy there.

What to do?

Could I buy a reasonably tidy car (again) for £1500 and spend the rest on a warranty? I intend to DIY service to keep costs down. However I still don't like the above maths for I do not have unlimited amounts of thousands of pounds to spend buying another car every 2 years if there was something I or my mechanic just didn't pick up when I bought it. Heck it makes the bus look very tempting.

Any advice on warranties, types of cover, exclusions, worth it at all?

Ta very much.

Next car - haven't bought it yet! - Extended warranty - what's it like? - RobJP

Most warranties on older/cheaper cars are minimal - LOTS of exclusions, you also end up suffering from 'betterment' (basically, if something breaks, and it is covered, you are expected to pay part of the bill, as your car is now (allegedly) better than it was before the part failed.

For example, warrantydirect (one of the better, and thus more expensive companies) have 4 levels of cover - if your car is over 6 years old or has done over 62k miles then you can ONLY get the 2 lowest levels of cover.

There are a lot of cheaper companies than them, but their exclusions, etc will probably be a lot worse.

In general, if you are buying a car for £1500, then it will be coming towards the end of it's life. Major parts will probably be wearing out, the car will be older, and will have probably done considerable mileage. All those things, and most warranty companies won't want to know - after all, they make money by paying out less than they take in. Giving cover on what is essentially an old banger does not make economic sense to them.

Next car - haven't bought it yet! - Extended warranty - what's it like? - Andrew-T

You already recognise that at the price-level you are considering, cars can be a lottery. If I was buying, I would certainly look at private, as a dealer will usually expect about £1000 more, like for like. Some nice ones should be available if you are willing to travel around a bit.

But a warranty at that age? You're just giving money away - swapping a certain 'reasonable' payment for a good chance of hardly any cost above normal maintenance, if you find a good car. Put the warranty money in a pot and use it if repairs are needed. Take your time and buy carefully.

Next car - haven't bought it yet! - Extended warranty - what's it like? - ulysses

Thanks - great advice. As I thought, but someone suggested it to me for the potential Jazz problem. That example was a low mileage Jazz, the gearbox thing comes up from 40-70k if it's been driven a lot in low gears I think. He said if the gearbox bearings hadn't been replaced when I buy it I could get it done under warranty. It is a known fault, i.e. it "might not" go "if" it's been driven kindly. Might that be covered by the Honda extended warranty?

Am taking more time to buy this time, last time was after a crash, not a good time to buy a car!

Next car - haven't bought it yet! - Extended warranty - what's it like? - madf

Honda's extended warranty for gearbox bearings expires after seven years.

edit: the Toyota Yaris of the same era is much more reliable .. Which reckonned it was more reliable - even today - than cars 7 to 8 year younger.. No majjor issues on the mark 1 Yaris petrols (you will only get a cheap diesel Yaris if it has done lunar mileages)

Edited by madf on 27/01/2015 at 19:32

P { margin-bottom: 0.21cm; }

Thanks. I will look out for a Yaris. They have a tiny boot though (I go camping + dog) Maybe the back seats shift forward. Some of the Japanese cars do that.

Quiet ride on the open road? Needs to be comfy on a long schlep.

*Sigh* where is the perfect car?

Is there a classifieds on HJ?

Next car - haven't bought it yet! - Extended warranty - what's it like? - galileo

P { margin-bottom: 0.21cm; }

Thanks. I will look out for a Yaris. They have a tiny boot though (I go camping + dog) Maybe the back seats shift forward. Some of the Japanese cars do that.

Quiet ride on the open road? Needs to be comfy on a long schlep.

The back seats on Yaris do slide forward, it depends how much gear / how many passengers you have when camping if it would be big enough.

Having had 3 Corollas and 2 Yaris's, I would go for a Toyota for reliabilty and reasonable spares/repair cost. (Is a Jazz much bigger anyway?)

Next car - haven't bought it yet! - Extended warranty - what's it like? - nortones2

I'm not sure which report of Which you have seen, but Jazz (2002-2008) gets 4 stars, and Yaris also 4 stars (2006-2011) The earlier Yaris is not marked for reliability - too old apparently. 2014 survey has 2008 onwards Jazz topping the list for reliability in supermni class.