Hyundai i10 - Fitting Alloy Wheels - capricorn

My daughter has a 59 reg i10 fitted with alloy wheels which are not looking too good so I was considering either having them refurbished (assumiing you can) or buying new ones.

I don't know much about alloys but for about £300 there seems to be a quite a choice available but apart from the wheel size what do I need to know and are any particular brands known for better quality than others - at around the price I mentioned?

Any help and advice very welcome.

(Two brands on the website are Team Dynamics and Calibre which seem to fit the bill are they well known brands)

Hyundai i10 - Fitting Alloy Wheels - RobJP

If you go into a local independent bodyshop, you'll probably find that they'll refurb wheels for £50 a piece - cheaper than buying a new set.

You will also find secondhand sets of wheels on ebay, or guntree, etc.

The problem with buying new (non-genuine Hyundai) wheels is that you have to inform your insurance company. They then might bump up the price, because to a lot of insurance companies, you are viewed as being no different to the chav down the road putting a set of 19" wheels and a big bore exhaust on a car.

Hyundai i10 - Fitting Alloy Wheels - capricorn

If you go into a local independent bodyshop, you'll probably find that they'll refurb wheels for £50 a piece - cheaper than buying a new set.

You will also find secondhand sets of wheels on ebay, or guntree, etc.

The problem with buying new (non-genuine Hyundai) wheels is that you have to inform your insurance company. They then might bump up the price, because to a lot of insurance companies, you are viewed as being no different to the chav down the road putting a set of 19" wheels and a big bore exhaust on a car.

Hi.

I hadn't thought about the insurance aspect but I could ask before hand for their policy on modifying the car so I'm glad you mentioned it.

I was surprised at the prices for about £260 or so and fitted free there are some nice looking wheels available but I have no knowledge of the quality of the two brands I mentioned which seem to be on most website dealers I've looked at.

The wheels seem quite corroded so not sure how good a refurbishing job would be and given the comparatively small price difference a new set is not too expensive.

Also the standard wheels are very awkward to clean because of their design which is another reason I thought about changing them.

As for being a Chav I would probably rate as a very old Chav these days although as a youth I did fit a Peco big bore silencer to a Ford Popular 1956 vintage. It made a lot of noise but suspect the already grim "performance" of the car wasn't enhanced any.