Honda CR-V - Head Room - angelcyn

I was interested to read HJs reply to the reader who asked for a replacement car for his Seat that would have enough headroom for his 6ft frame.

HJ suggested the Honda CR-V, when wanting to change up an earlier Honda the CR-V and latest Civic were tried and rejected as in both there was no headroom and even when test driving the latest Mazda 3 I was touching the roof, I am 6ft 1in which is not excessive these days.

As cars increase in size with almost every relaunch it seems strange that a population that is also getting larger by the decade is not being catered for, or built in to the new designs.

Honda CR-V - Head Room - Avant

There's been a thread on this quite recently. The problem is that not all people of the same height are in the same proportion: you might be particularly long in the body or in the leg but be of average height overall.

Unfortunately there's no easy answer: you just have to try lots of cars, remembering to adjust the backrest as well as the seat height, and see what you're comfortable in.

Strangely, one of the best ever cars for very tall people was the original Ford Ka. Shaped like a deerstalker on wheels, with non-height-adjustable seats, there was about a foot of space between my head (I'm 5'7") and the roof. Not that I'm suggesting that if you want a CRV - but you might find that something designed for bigger Europeans rather than smaller Japanese might be a better hunting-ground. Try a Volvo, perhaps.

Honda CR-V - Head Room - RT

As Avant suggests, it all depends whether you're long in the body, long in the leg or evenly long - with the same dilema for short people.

I'm 6'0" - my son is 6'6" but sitting down he's over an inch shorter than me - so all his extra height is in his legs.

Honda CR-V - Head Room - daveyK_UK

I think this is a problem with Japanese car manufacturers.

For some reason, Honda, Toyota and Suzuki seem incapable of making for the UK with good rear leg room.

I really wanted to get a Civic or Auris estate but couldn't let my passengers suffer from such poor rear legroom, it was as bad as the latest Focus and 308.

Edited by daveyK_UK on 24/01/2015 at 21:14

Honda CR-V - Head Room - alan1302

I think this is a problem with Japanese car manufacturers.

For some reason, Honda, Toyota and Suzuki seem incapable of making for the UK with good rear leg room.

I really wanted to get a Civic or Auris estate but couldn't let my passengers suffer from such poor rear legroom, it was as bad as the latest Focus and 308.

Seems a problem for French and US makes as well then!

Honda CR-V - Head Room - daveyK_UK

Yes but I can get a mondeo or cmax or grand cmax or smax or galaxy or tourneo connect or transit connect from Ford with good rear leg room.

Likewise I can get a bipper tepee or partner tepee or 3008 or 5008 or expert tepee from Peugeot which all have good rear leg room.

There is nothing that honda, Toyota or suzuki sell (rear legroom in the new Suzuki s-cross was a disappointment) that offers good rear leg room.

Edited by daveyK_UK on 24/01/2015 at 23:31

Honda CR-V - Head Room - xtrailman

Cars are not made for the UK in general, they might get tweaks to suspension etc, but the shell is made to sell globally, with large markets being the target, so think America, China, and Russia.

The best selling SUV in Australia at present is the Mazda CX-5. Loads are sold in America so they obviously fit the requirements of those buying them.

Edited by xtrailman on 25/01/2015 at 09:18

Honda CR-V - Head Room - RT

Cars are not made for the UK in general, they might get tweaks to suspension etc, but the shell is made to sell globally, with large markets being the target, so think America, China, and Russia.

The best selling SUV in Australia at present is the Mazda CX-5. Loads are sold in America so they obviously fit the requirements of those buying them.

Most manufacturers target vehicles differently for the main markets, they may well share platforms and running gear but often with different bodies.

GM, for instance, makes a whole range of cars from the Insignia platform - two sizes of Chevrolet, two sizes of Buick with different Buicks for China and next year a Holden Commodore for Australia.

Hyundai/Kia, Toyota and Honda don't sell half of their models in Europe, too big by our standards.

VW Group build the Skoda Superb in America but badge it VW Passat

Ford alone, of the large makers, is going with "one size fits all".

Honda CR-V - Head Room - xtrailman

Mazda sell the same body CX-5 in all markets. Just with different trims.