Ford Fiesta Saloon - New Second Car as the old one has £££ repair bill. - Flashollie

Hi All

Girlfriends 55 plate 1.4 40k miles, Fiesta has got a problem with the ABS module reapir cost of £1200 of which about 900 is parts car is worth maybe £2k. We have up to £6k if we need to spend it.

Options

1. We part ex it now. The the independant garage has just offered her a 1.3 Ka with 30k on it for £1700 plus the Fiesta. it was on for £2900.
  2. We could have fiesta fixed with a second hand part total cost £400 (100 parts labour 300) and then part ex it for more and get a better car. My favoutite option.
  3. Have it fixed with second hand part and keep it and try to sell privately but there are so many 1.4 fiestas I am not sure we will get rid of it. The bloke next door could shift his focus after 6 weeks so he had to part x
  4. Is there any other better way to approach this that we have missed?

Cars to consider for option 2 at about 6K + old fiesta are I suppect; the new fiesta, yaris, pug 207, cirtron DS3 and maybe a mini or hyundi i20 VW polo?

Thoughts on this welcome

Many thanks in advance.

Marcus

Ford Fiesta Saloon - New Second Car as the old one has £££ repair bill. - elekie&a/c doctor

If the only problem with this car is the abs unit ,i think I would have it repaired and keep it a while.I think the cost of an abs unit is more like £500 not £900.Need to check this.Keep clear of the 207,Ds3 and Mini ,they all use the same engines that are known for timing chain and oil consumption issues.

Ford Fiesta Saloon - New Second Car as the old one has £££ repair bill. - Flashollie
Thanks for the reply.

New unit from Ford is 875 checked this afternoon I can't source new from elsewhere. Second hand they are £100 ish.
I think we will get it repaired. So we have time to shop around as she has the excited new car bug so I think shell want to change it.

Mileage is about 5k a year around town and she has seen a nice looking diesel 207 this afternoon. I'd of thought petrol is more economical at that mileage when considering the higher purchase cost fuel and service cost against an equivalent performance petrol. Is this correct?

I assume the mini ds3 and 207 you mention are the petrol variants soI'll avoid. Any thoughts on the Ibiza?
Ford Fiesta Saloon - New Second Car as the old one has £££ repair bill. - mss1tw
Thanks for the reply. New unit from Ford is 875 checked this afternoon I can't source new from elsewhere. Second hand they are £100 ish. I think we will get it repaired. So we have time to shop around as she has the excited new car bug so I think shell want to change it. Mileage is about 5k a year around town and she has seen a nice looking diesel 207 this afternoon. I'd of thought petrol is more economical at that mileage when considering the higher purchase cost fuel and service cost against an equivalent performance petrol. Is this correct? I assume the mini ds3 and 207 you mention are the petrol variants soI'll avoid. Any thoughts on the Ibiza?

Completely correct, a diesel will be a waste of cash.

Ford Fiesta Saloon - New Second Car as the old one has £££ repair bill. - RobJP

I wouldn't touch diesel with that sort of mileage/town driving. Asking for problems.

Edit : Lots of VAG group cars have had engine issues over the last few years. A SEAT might not be the finest choice. They also need cambelt, etc changes every 3 (I think) years, which is an additional expense. Furthermore, if it's an automatic, it'll be a DSG gearbox, and those are horribly problematic.

Edited by RobJP on 08/01/2015 at 18:51

Ford Fiesta Saloon - New Second Car as the old one has £££ repair bill. - corax

Someone like BBA Reman might be able to repair your old ABS unit. Just a thought.

So a fix of the abs module via a seond hand one or recon the existing appears to be the consensus.

Then looks like we're leaning more towards on a 1.4 petrol fiesta with around 20 k or less in Zetec spec, for just under 7k unless there's any other obvious candidates in this class? City cars like the pug 107 too small for kid and boot space and occasional motorway spells.

Ford Fiesta Saloon - New Second Car as the old one has £££ repair bill. - Avant

Think also about a Toyota Yaris 1.3 petrol (1.0 is underpowered): as much room as a Fiesta, very reliable and much better to drive than the road tests make out. My elder daughter had four in a row, all excellent.

That said, there are more Fiestas around to choose from and you should be able to find a good one.

Ford Fiesta Saloon - New Second Car as the old one has £££ repair bill. - madf
So a fix of the abs module via a seond hand one or recon the existing appears to be the consensus. Then looks like we're leaning more towards on a 1.4 petrol fiesta with around 20 k or less in Zetec spec, for just under 7k unless there's any other obvious candidates in this class? City cars like the pug 107 too small for kid and boot space and occasional motorway spells.

With only one year warranty left.

A 1.3 Yaris of the same age will have three years warranty left.. which must mean something..

Ford Fiesta Saloon - New Second Car as the old one has £££ repair bill. - Armitage Shanks {p}

These people repair ABS units tinyurl.com/ny5fly4

Ford Fiesta Saloon - New Second Car as the old one has £££ repair bill. - daveyK_UK

Get it fixed, part-ex it and get one of the last of the Corsa's which seem to be everywhere heavily discounted.

Some real bargains out there as they are changing the Corsa next month.

Corsa is a good car, more interior space than the fiesta, more reliable than anything VAG produce and cheap to insure, plus it drives well.

Normally I would advise anything but a Vauxhall but the Corsa owners I know which have been quite a few of the current model all praise the car, the insurance costs, the interior space and and the reliability.

Edited by daveyK_UK on 09/01/2015 at 16:25