Daytime running lights - Trilogy

Talking about them today to a client. He reckoned their use is now a legal requirement. Is this so? Or perhaps about to be? Can't find out by a google search.

Daytime running lights - daveyjp
They are a legal requirement on new vehicles. No doubt falling under Construction and Use Regulations.
Daytime running lights - elekie&a/c doctor

Some info here;www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/safety/daytime-runni...l

Daytime running lights - Doc
They are a legal requirement on new vehicles.

European legislation of 2008 requires dedicated daytime running lights (DRL) to be fitted to all new 'types' of passenger cars and small delivery vans since February 2011.

This does not mean that every new car first registered after February 2011 will have DRL fitted.

The requirement only applies to models that go through the European whole vehicle type approval process after that date. That means new or substantially facelifted models.

Daytime running lights - RT
They are a legal requirement on new vehicles.

European legislation of 2008 requires dedicated daytime running lights (DRL) to be fitted to all new 'types' of passenger cars and small delivery vans since February 2011.

This does not mean that every new car first registered after February 2011 will have DRL fitted.

The requirement only applies to models that go through the European whole vehicle type approval process after that date. That means new or substantially facelifted models.

Just to repeat the message - DRLs aren't required for all new registrations - only new types.

Daytime running lights - Falkirk Bairn

DRLs are compulsory for all new cars.

Some makes have been taking a simple solution/cheap solution.

The off position for lights has been blocked off, the minimum lights are the side lights that we have known for 50 years.So instead of DRLs at the front all the lights, side, tail and number plate lights are on all the time. Vx Antara has this "solution" to the DRL requirement.

Daytime running lights - Auristocrat

Vehicles undergoing new Type Approval between November 2011 and October 2014 had to have DRL's fitted. From 1st November 2014 all new vehicles registered on or after this date, have to have DRL's fitted.

For example the current Toyota Auris which was launched in December 2012 carried forward the Type Approval from the 2007 Auris. DRL' s weren't a legal requirement on new Auris first registered between December 2012 and October 2014, but became a legal requirement on new Auris registered on and after 1st November 2014.

Daytime running lights - Alby Back
Pretty sure my dad's Volvo 144 circa 1970 and the 244s he had subsequently had permanently lit sidelights. People used to flash their lights at him to "tell" him he'd forgotten to switch them off.
Daytime running lights - Avant

I think it was for quite some years that Volvos were the only cars with lights on all day: Saabs were next - maybe there was a law about it in Sweden.

Daytime running lights - Auristocrat

Extract from Wikipedia:

"DRLs were first mandated in Scandinavian countries, where ambient light levels in the winter are generally low even during the day. Sweden was the first country to require widespread DRLs in 1977. At the time, the function was known as "perception light" or "notice light". The initial regulations in these countries favored devices incorporating 21 W signal bulbs identical to those used in brake lamps and turn signals, producing yellow or white light, mounted at the outer left and right edges of the front of the vehicle. Finland adopted a daytime-light requirement in 1972 on rural roads in wintertime, and in 1982 on rural roads in summertime and 1997 on all roads all year long; Norway in 1986, Iceland in 1988, and Denmark in 1990. To increase manufacturer flexibility in complying with the requirement for DRLs, the daytime illumination of low beam headlights was added as an optional implementation."

Edited by Auristocrat on 16/12/2014 at 01:00

I think it was for quite some years that Volvos were the only cars with lights on all day: Saabs were next - maybe there was a law about it in Sweden.

Both Volvo and Saab would have had DRLs at the same time in Sweden, but unlike Saab, Volvo kept that feature on export models which is why Brits always remember Volvo's for having lights on while Saabs didn't.

Daytime running lights - jc2

Another little snippet.DRLs were a legal requirement in Scadinavia and were fitted to vehicles sold in the UK as there was nothing in UK motoring law banning them.However in Germany,they could not be fitted as there was no requirement in German motoring law for them!(pre-EU).

We had "dim-dip" here in the 80/90s - with lighting set to parking lights (aka sidelights) the headlight dip circuit was lit at reduced voltage but it disappeared as EU harmonisation took over our C&U regulations.

Daytime running lights - Doc

We had "dim-dip" here in the 80/90s

An excellent system, especially in well-lit areas where headlights were unnecessary.

I turn my headlights off in traffic queues.

Daytime running lights - gordonbennet

Don't Doc, rosy memories of driving round London in far better times when it was a pleasure to visit, on sidelights just as everyone else did, night vision still intact.

Dim dip went west, as did three line braking on lorries, and the best bit about harmonisation was we gained the tachograph to ''make lorries safer'' and with the tacho increased our working day from a max of 12.5 hours to 15 hours where it still is today, much safer that, you couldn't make half of it up.

Daytime running lights - Alanovich

So, if everthing was so much better and safer in the past, how come road deaths and serious injuries have fallen significantly in numbers, consistently over the last 30 or so years, despite increasing vehicle numbers, gordonbennet?

Daytime running lights - galileo

So, if everthing was so much better and safer in the past, how come road deaths and serious injuries have fallen significantly in numbers, consistently over the last 30 or so years, despite increasing vehicle numbers, gordonbennet?

Seatbelts, crumple zones, radial tyres, disc brakes, ABS and airbags.

In other words, cars are more crashworthy, so people walk away from crashes which would have been fatal.

Exactly. Modern life is better and safer than the smokey old 70s with its endless fug of cigarette fumes, smog and tinfoil comedy clown cars with no brakes.

Exactly. Modern life is better and safer than the smokey old 70s with its endless fug of cigarette fumes, smog and tinfoil comedy clown cars with no brakes.

Maybe safer, but much more congested and stressful IMO.

I fondly remember the days before the overall 70 limit, speed cameras, traffic 'calming' measures and the freedom to have a cigarette with one's pint. And I liked to buy my petrol in gallons, not litres.

Ah. And I now enjoy the freedom not to have to breathe your smoke whilst enjoying my pint. Heaven.

Daytime running lights - Alby Back
Beer needs tobacco like chips need vinegar. I no longer smoke, haven't done for years, but I can't be bothered to have a pint now either without a fag. Wouldn't taste right.
Beer needs tobacco like chips need vinegar. I no longer smoke, haven't done for years, but I can't be bothered to have a pint now either without a fag. Wouldn't taste right.

Exactly. One of the major reasons for pub closures since the smoking ban. (I gave up smoking in 1990 but sympathise with those who haven't) .

There was no reason why smoking and non-smoking rooms could not have been allowed, a total ban was unnecessary.

I for one am sick of the Big Brother nanny state regulating our lives, whether from Whtehall or Brussels.

Daytime running lights - alan1302

I for one am sick of the Big Brother nanny state regulating our lives, whether from Whtehall or Brussels.

So what are you doing about it?

Thinking of emigrating to the USA and living in a log cabin in the woods, with lots of guns and ammo.

Thinking of emigrating to the USA and living in a log cabin in the woods, with lots of guns and ammo.

The wood smoke will kill you with cancer if the guns don't get you - not that driving there is much safer.

Enjoy yourself!

There was no reason why smoking and non-smoking rooms could not have been allowed, a total ban was unnecessary.

Yes, there was a reason. Smoking rooms would still have had to have been staffed, one of the main reasons for the smoking ban was to protect staff from second hand smoke inhalation, therefore smoking rooms would have defeated this object.

A total ban was, and remains, necessary, until such time as second hand smoke is proven not to cause illness. Good luck proving that.

Yes, there was a reason. Smoking rooms would still have had to have been staffed, one of the main reasons for the smoking ban was to protect staff from second hand smoke inhalation, therefore smoking rooms would have defeated this object.

A total ban was, and remains, necessary, until such time as second hand smoke is proven not to cause illness. Good luck proving that.

I'm sure all the staff made redundant because of pub closures are delighted. As far as second hand smoke is concerned, acrolein from barbecuing burgers is just as harmful, we ought to ban that too.

I'm sure all the staff made redundant because of pub closures are delighted. As far as second hand smoke is concerned, acrolein from barbecuing burgers is just as harmful, we ought to ban that too.

Eating pubs are thriving - drinking pubs are either converting to eating pubs or dying a slow painful death.

The low cost of supermarket booze is closing the drinking pubs and the smoke-free atmosphere making eating pubs a possibility.

Short of banning smoking altogether, which would have put supply in the hands of drug dealers, the banning of smoking in public places is the best move ever made.

As far as second hand smoke is concerned, acrolein from barbecuing burgers is just as harmful, we ought to ban that too.

No, no it's not

Tastes fine without for me.

Although chips need salt and vinegar!

Daytime running lights - bathtub tom

>>We had "dim-dip" here in the 80/90s

I recall a colleague complaining about the dimness of their headlights. I asked if it was fitted with dim-dip............................. It was!

Similarly, a relative mentioned their poor dip beam, until I pointed out the headlight alignment adjustment near their right knee. It was set at the lowest. They'd only owned it six years!