Death of diesel cars - brum

Sorry if this has been discussed before. Recent news is that the mayor of Paris, along with our own Boris intend to ban all diesel cars in Paris and London by 2020. The french premier has also gone on record to phase out diesel across all of France, the home of cheap diesel where 80% of drivers drive diesel cars. No doubt it wont be long before more large cities and other countries make similar announcements.

Might be a bad idea to buy a new diesel car before long?

Death of diesel cars - mss1tw

Joy for millions as GDP increases

Death of diesel cars - gordonbennet

Joy for me if they ban all older cars from cities, i have the perfect excuse never to go near one of the dumps again, win win, bring it on.

Going to be interesting seeing how people on normal incomes are going to live and work in cities in the brave new world the utopians have planned for themselves.

Luckily i won't be around to see the living hell of Britain with 100million population, but my children might and their children will, i hope they forgive me.

Thanks politicians (well trousered sir) and those who voted for them, those of you who watched the half wits fighting over telly's in Tescos on that crass black friday americanism, imagine what it'll be like when its food and water and space to live to survive to be grabbed.

Death of diesel cars - RT

Joy for me if they ban all older cars from cities, i have the perfect excuse never to go near one of the dumps again, win win, bring it on.

Going to be interesting seeing how people on normal incomes are going to live and work in cities in the brave new world the utopians have planned for themselves.

Luckily i won't be around to see the living hell of Britain with 100million population, but my children might and their children will, i hope they forgive me.

Thanks politicians (well trousered sir) and those who voted for them, those of you who watched the half wits fighting over telly's in Tescos on that crass black friday americanism, imagine what it'll be like when its food and water and space to live to survive to be grabbed.

I find the policy of not going into big cities a wonderful idea, it should be compulsory for everyone.

In my working days, I genuinely used to love sitting in the jams on the M1 northbound somewhere near Watford after meetings in London - at least I was getting out of the place, however slowly.

Death of diesel cars - hillman

This is what the Telegraph has to say.

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/environment/1128006...l?

Death of diesel cars - Andrew-T

Don't fret yourself, GB - just remember that an election is not far off, and we can expect a crescendo of increasingly impossible suggestions until next spring. Those making them are fairly safe in the knowledge that they will probably be forgotten when the hoo-hah dies down - if in fact they get elected.

Death of diesel cars - Smileyman

Earlier in the autumn I was considering whether it's time to replace my car, my daily commute puts me in the right mileage to run a diesel, and the dealer made sure I knew it.

No way, even if it costs me more in the long run (life of the car, purchaed new/nearly new and ran for 10+ years and with things like DPF etc to worry about that's debatable) I do not want a diesel car - I'm not an overly green conscious person, but I would rather go LPG than diesel.

There is no need for air meters to know the quality of air in London and other cities is poor, of course the humble car is not the only culprit, buses and HGV all contribute.I noticed it soon as I moved away from London 15 years ago.

The question not yet addressed is whether a reduction of diesel vehicles on the highway would improve the air quality enough to stop the stupid plans to reduce traffic speeds on roads to comply with yet another EU dictak, this time concerning air polluton (M1 in South Yorkshire for instance).

Death of diesel cars - nortones2

What seems not to have figured in the journalistic froth, is that oxides of nitrogen are given off by all combustion processes. Indeed, the USA dilemma is that NOx is prevalent where diesel cars are a minute proportion of transport usage. Windmills, tilting at, I fear. Unless a more comprehensive and considered approach is undertaken. BTW, I run a DI petrol car.

Edited by nortones2 on 08/12/2014 at 20:37

Death of diesel cars - Sofa Spud

70% of new cars in France are diesel powered, so banning diesel cars in Paris would mean that the majority of cars in France wouldn't be allowed into its capital city.

If the ban on diesel cars is introduced and enforced, a ban on the smaller number of petrol cars probably wouldn't be far behind.

Of course, with the growing availability and sophistication of electric cars and hybrids capable of running in electric mode, there would be a way round the ban. And who is investing heavily in small electric cars? Renault and their partial subsidiary Nissan !

Edited by Sofa Spud on 08/12/2014 at 21:44

Death of diesel cars - focussed

French politicians have a record of brain f***s - ie not ensuring that brain is engaged before thinking it through. There is a next to zero chance of banning diesel vehicles in big cities in France because the clever bu**ers in the Elysee Palace have forgotten one big stumbling block, the French public-they won't have it-and when they dig their heels in and decide they won't have something -lookout!

EG - They put up scores of gantries over major roads to charge HGV's to use them-the protesters burnt them down and withdrew the basis of charging etc.

Death of diesel cars - pd

There is still a massive gap in CO2 offical figures between some cars though which will mean diesels will remain the company car of choice in the UK for a while yet.

For example, the new Jaguar XE using band up-to-date new engines has 104g/km for the entry level 2.0 litre auto diesel and 179g/km for the entry level petrol auto.

Even taking into account the higher list price of the diesel that amounts to a BIK of £7288 for the petrol or £3575 for the diesel. Which would you choose?

Death of diesel cars - Snakey

This will be fun to watch it unravel.

So in 15 years time will we then be banning electric cars from cities because the offset pollution from their 'clean' batteries is deemed unacceptable?

Death of diesel cars - slkfanboy

Most likely if the fixed the MPG and CO2 measuring methods in favour of a system of real impact, then hybrid and elec will be banned first.

So in 15 years time will we then be banning electric cars from cities because the offset pollution from their 'clean' batteries is deemed unacceptable?

If our large cities went over to electric or hybrid taxis, that would make a difference - particularly as taxi drivers are notorious for leaving their engines running while waiting about. And electric delivery vans would be ideal for many large city applications too.

If our large cities went over to electric or hybrid taxis, that would make a difference - particularly as taxi drivers are notorious for leaving their engines running while waiting about. And electric delivery vans would be ideal for many large city applications too.

Like the local dairy's electric milk float and the Co-Op baker's bread van used to be - and bring back trolley buses.

Like the local dairy's electric milk float and the Co-Op baker's bread van used to be - and bring back trolley buses.

I remember trolleybuses and as a child they used to fascinate me, with all the wires and poles. But there's probably no need for troleybuses now with buses like the NB4L 'Borismaster' that is essentially a range-extender hybrid that is electrically driven, with a diesel engine starting up to drive a generator when the battery gets low. I've read that Borismasters have shorcomings in other areas, but the drive system seems to be a good idea.

Death of diesel cars - Bromptonaut

Coverage on BBC last night foussed on Oxford St, described as a vehicle filled canyon, which apparently has very high Nox/particulate levels.

Yet it's mostly prohibited to private cars and wholly occupied by buses and taxis. So yes, getting those on leccy or hybrid would be a big step forward.

The problem is the buildings, not the vehicles - the countryside doesn't suffer like London "canyons" do so start demolishing!

Death of diesel cars - Ethan Edwards

Lets face it the argument is not Diesels bad, Hybrid Good, Petrol a little indifferent etc.

It's all about the money. Always has been always will be. The tax and how much can sleazy Sam the politician screw out of you (us) peasants before you lot rise up as one and cast him out of his gold plated pension for life gravy train.

I offer into evidence my icckle little Yaris HSD. with a mere 79 grams of Co2 per Crocodile or whatever. When purchased in 2012 it was as clean and pure as the driven snow. Easily below the London Congestion Charge. Alarm bells rang in the Mayors office, lights burned all night etc. "We can't have plebs trolling about for free! Harrumph!"

So what did they do? Lowered the limit to 75 grammes of Co2 per Battleship thats what. Note how thats a mere 4 grammes per Sausage difference.

So now my Yaris is a durty nasty polluting machine is it? ...but its the same car only the goalposts have changed. So this line of argument you chaps are having is ultimately really about how much the Politician liars can push you Plebs (us plebs I suppose) about before we are truly revolting...oh well you get the idea. ;)

Incidentally Toyota put Eco tyres on it and fiddled with the engine management and now the 2014 one just limbo's under the threshold again. But you watch I'll bet the limit will be lowered yet again.

Luckily I don't go into London by car not being a masochistic type unlike that chap who was aquitted in 'Sarf Arfricar'.

The problem is the buildings, not the vehicles - the countryside doesn't suffer like London "canyons" do so start demolishing!

It's fortunate not many people live downwind of power stations. The pollution from large-scale combustion must be pretty bad there, despite the tall stacks. And of course if all city dwellers had to use electric or hybrid, that is where the pollution would be concentrated.

Death of diesel cars - hillman

I live on the edge of the Peak district with Kinder Scout to the east. In winter the air can be quite fresh and bracing. The winds in summer are mostly from the west and carry the fumes from Manchester and Liverpool and all points between. On hot summer days the sunlight causes the fumes to react chemically and converts them into a blue haze that catches one's throat and in quite unpleasant. What happens in London is of interest.

I live on the edge of the Peak district with Kinder Scout to the east. In winter the air can be quite fresh and bracing. The winds in summer are mostly from the west and carry the fumes from Manchester and Liverpool and all points between. On hot summer days the sunlight causes the fumes to react chemically and converts them into a blue haze that catches one's throat and in quite unpleasant. What happens in London is of interest.

How much of that is from chemical plants - there are a lot in the Manchester, Liverpool, Wirral areas.

I live downwind of the Birmingham and Black Country conurbations, at about the wrong distance as all their "c**p" tends to participate out overhead - but in the 40 years we've been here the atmosphere has gradually improved - no doubt at the expense of the Midlands steel industry which is no longer.

Death of diesel cars - Snakey

Moving to hybrid/electric is simply offsetting the pollution to somewhere else outside the capital, and thats exactly how the capital-centric government think.

Bigger reductions in emissions could be made by less profit hungry people being involved in road maintenance and management. The A1 western bypass roadworks and the tyne tunnel etc are both examples of where congestion could be cut dramatically by removing the idiots who mismanage the traffic because their priority is profit.

Death of diesel cars - corax

Moving to hybrid/electric is simply offsetting the pollution to somewhere else outside the capital

Only electric, hybrids aren't charged from an external source.

I have no idea where all this electricity is going to come from though, since there have already been warnings about blackouts this year due to fire damaged power stations - we can't even supply enough for the usual needs.

I have noticed an increasing number of solar panels on roofs recently.

<< I have noticed an increasing number of solar panels on roofs recently.

Mine have been producing for well over three years now, and because we are still on the high introductory tariff, our providers pay us about what we pay them, despite having a maximum output of only 2kW.

The problem is that in winter solar panels generate least, when power is needed most. Their big plus is that once installed they are zero-maintenance, except perhaps for an annual wipe-over.

Moving to hybrid/electric is simply offsetting the pollution to somewhere else outside the capital

Only electric, hybrids aren't charged from an external source.

I have no idea where all this electricity is going to come from though, since there have already been warnings about blackouts this year due to fire damaged power stations - we can't even supply enough for the usual needs.

I have noticed an increasing number of solar panels on roofs recently.

More and more of our electricity is coming from renewable sources, and proscessing the combustion pollutants from fossil fuels is more efficient if done at large power stations than on individual vehicles.

Some hybrids are charged from an external source and are known as plug-in hybrids. There.s a plug-in version of the Toyota Prius which has a much greater range in electric mode than the standard version. Also the Chevrolet Volt / Vauxhall Ampera is a plug-in range extender hybrid.

Death of diesel cars - grimep

What I find puzzling is why the media is reporting this as new science. The Sunday Times in particular have been drip feeding this story out over the last few months, its clearly being stage-managed and is politically (tax?) driven. I remember hearing about carginogenic particulates in exhaust fumes in the 1980s. Also the UK road tax level on diesels is governed by the nitrogen oxide emission, and millions of motorists have purchased diesels as a "green" choice (remember how we all had to save the planet from greenhouse gases a while ago?), producing less carbon monoxide and dioxide than petrol and low NOx. The media are doing a disservice to the public by not investigating the real issue here- the constant moving of the "green" goalposts to rake in yet more money.

You can just see the news 10 years hence- we've all dashed to petrol vehicles and science has discovered that its causing climate change so lets put up taxes and move to cleaner diesels...

Death of diesel cars - Bolt

What I find puzzling is why the media is reporting this as new science. The Sunday Times in particular have been drip feeding this story out over the last few months, its clearly being stage-managed and is politically (tax?) driven. I remember hearing about carginogenic particulates in exhaust fumes in the 1980s. Also the UK road tax level on diesels is governed by the nitrogen oxide emission, and millions of motorists have purchased diesels as a "green" choice (remember how we all had to save the planet from greenhouse gases a while ago?), producing less carbon monoxide and dioxide than petrol and low NOx. The media are doing a disservice to the public by not investigating the real issue here- the constant moving of the "green" goalposts to rake in yet more money.

You can just see the news 10 years hence- we've all dashed to petrol vehicles and science has discovered that its causing climate change so lets put up taxes and move to cleaner diesels...

Yes I remember it as well, problems are that it will not matter what you use,they will want to tax it, they are never going to clean the air, too many other harmfull materials around natural as well as man made

The simple basic fact is that too many people are burning too much fuel too fast. There will always be nasty by-products to combustion, but you can vary the proportions a bit.

Good job there are fewer keen gardeners these days - just think of all those nasty bonfires ....

Not helped by all the "eco-friendly" do-gooders with wood-burning stoves - now seen as a major health issue in parts of the USA.

Death of diesel cars - madf

Yes I remember it as well, problems are that it will not matter what you use,they will want to tax it, they are never going to clean the air, too many other harmfull materials around natural as well as man made

One of the biggest "greenhouse gasses" is methane. Largely emiited by COWS.

Let's ban eating steak and drinking milk. Problem solved...

Edited by madf on 11/12/2014 at 09:27

That just shifts the methane production further up or down the food chain. ;)

Or fit them with inflatable balloons, both ends, to collect the methane and burn it in our cars instead of oil - it won't reduce greenhouse gases but it would make the oil last longer.

Or fit them with inflatable balloons, both ends, to collect the methane and burn it in our cars instead of oil - it won't reduce greenhouse gases but it would make the oil last longer.

A euro MP suggested getting rid of cows untill he learnt more methane was produced by insects and all other animals than was made by cows ;)

IMO Diesels are here for many years to come,as for clean air, there isnt any, unless you go to a factory making microchips where they have spent millions on filtering systems,

once particulates have been reduced I suspect something else will replace it as a health scare giving the public something else to take their mind off the governments antics

With China rapidly growing richer, other countries following, and all demanding more meat, not a chance.

Edited by corax on 11/12/2014 at 13:00

With China rapidly growing richer, other countries following, and all demanding more meat, not a chance.

We won`t go short of methane either ;0

Someone needs to come up with a method of tapping this rich resource somewhere along the line - sewage pipes for example.

It's a dirty job but someones got to do it.

The irony is, after all the health problems endemic in the west, the east will now be moving away from a healthy diet where it costs less to produce the ingredients, to a worse diet that is far more expensive to produce in terms of resources and land.

I wouldn't mind if people actually used what they have bought, but the waste that you see is despicable.

Someone needs to come up with a method of tapping this rich resource somewhere along the line - sewage pipes for example.

It's a dirty job but someones got to do it.

The irony is, after all the health problems endemic in the west, the east will now be moving away from a healthy diet where it costs less to produce the ingredients, to a worse diet that is far more expensive to produce in terms of resources and land.

I wouldn't mind if people actually used what they have bought, but the waste that you see is despicable.

It's been done - but not cost-effectively - some land-fill sites were capped and the methane taken off to power old jet engines driving generators feeding the national grid

Death of diesel cars - Reentrant

A letter in the Telegraph said that diesel cars wouldn't need to be scrapped, you'd just have to "change the head and add ignition" then it would run on petrol.

Surely not that simple - I doubt if a diesel block has anywhere to add a distributor, the gear ratios would be wrong and maybe the pistons & rings. The whole engine management system would also need changing so I can't see it being cost-effective even if technically possible.

A letter in the Telegraph said that diesel cars wouldn't need to be scrapped, you'd just have to "change the head and add ignition" then it would run on petrol.

Surely not that simple - I doubt if a diesel block has anywhere to add a distributor, the gear ratios would be wrong and maybe the pistons & rings. The whole engine management system would also need changing so I can't see it being cost-effective even if technically possible.

Why do you need a distributer?, as long as it has a crank position sensor, pistons and rings could stay.

I see no reason why it cant be done

I also see no reason to do it either, Diesel I think will be as clean as petrol eventually besides what are they going to do with all that waste oil

Edited by bolt on 11/12/2014 at 18:11

Death of diesel cars - skidpan

Obviously written by soemone who knows nothing about cars.

Cannot think of any diesel and petrol motors that share a common block thus simply swapping a head is not an option.

Even if there are some (there could be) the pistons in the diesel would be much higher compression thus would need changing.

Then you would need to add the necessary sensors to provide the petrol ECU with the information it needs.

Then you would need to change the loom to provide wiring to those sensors.

Then you would need to fit the petrol ECU and other bits that provide a spark.

Then what about fuel supply. The diesel pump would be no good thus the whole lot would need changing.

And what about the exhaust and emission system, very different.

And after all that you would need to go the the DVLA and get the vehicle checked and reclassified.

Cheaper to scrap it.

Cannot think of any diesel and petrol motors that share a common block thus simply swapping a head is not an option.

Fast forward - the JLR Ingenium and new Volvo engine use the same modules for diesel and petrol - there have been others in Europe as well as some GM diesels in the US, not successful but done anyway.

But I agree, it's a totally impractical idea.

Would a head change be enouh to stop petrol igniting under compression?

Would a head change be enouh to stop petrol igniting under compression?

I read somewhere Mercedes are working on a combined petrol/diesel, that could be interesting

I read somewhere Mercedes are working on a combined petrol/diesel, that could be interesting

Translated from marketing-speak: Someone misfuelled their SLK.

;D

Not a new idea - various companies including Rolls-Royce developed multi-fuel engines mainly for military applications so they could run on whatever fuel was available.

Not a new idea - various companies including Rolls-Royce developed multi-fuel engines mainly for military applications so they could run on whatever fuel was available.

Even ran on high alcohol wine!

Death of diesel cars - galileo

Cummins have produced versions of their diesel engines which run on CNG (compressed natural gas for years.

CNG is available for conversions of diesels in Europe but generally only suitable for goods vehicles as the tank has to be heavy for safety standards.

<< Would a head change be enouh to stop petrol igniting under compression? >>

In my simple-minded way I assumed the prupose of changing the head was to reduce compression from about 24:1 to 9:1 - or some numbers like that?

But the changes to the 'peripherals' can't be that simple - gear ratios as has been said.

But the changes to the 'peripherals' can't be that simple - gear ratios as has been said.

Add a 2-speed auxiliary gear-set with one ratio for operating in 'petrol' mode, the other for 'diesel' mode, then use the main gearbox in the normal way. While it's fun to discuss this, I don't think there's any real future for such a dual-fuel petrol / diesel engine for civilian road vehicle use!

Add a 2-speed auxiliary gear-set with one ratio for operating in 'petrol' mode, the other for 'diesel' mode, then use the main gearbox in the normal way. While it's fun to discuss this, I don't think there's any real future for such a dual-fuel petrol / diesel engine for civilian road vehicle use!

I don`t think so either, I still think diesels have a way to go before they die off,becoming more efficient,

though Boris has ideas in London of removing cars altogether from inner cities so that counts out petrols as well, leaving bikes and buses- taxis at so called 0 emissions

wait and see on that one