2008 Volvo V50 1.6 diesel - Limp mode 'reduced engine power' - Woddy321
Hello,

I am having issues with my 2008 Volvo 1.6 diesel, it is currently driving very slowly (like there is no turbo) there are no warning lighs present, all I am getting is 'reduced engine power' on the message screen.

Fault codes where glow plug relay, 02 sensor and cam sensor. I cleared the codes took it for another good drive and all I am getting now is 'glow plug relay', I have tested the glow plugs relay in the fuse box and it is operating correctly, is there a another relay as I can only see the one?

Would a glow plug fault cause this lack of power (limp mode)?

I thought it would of defiantly be the 02 sensor and the cam sensor as it starts beautiifully with no hesitations and idles perfect, but as these codes are not coming back they may of been old stored codes?

All help is appreciated

Many thanks
2008 Volvo V50 1.6 diesel - Limp mode 'reduced engine power' - elekie&a/c doctor

This car will be fitted with the Ford/Peugeot 1.6 tdci engine used in many different cars.A fault with the glow plug system can cause loss of power,but you need to test the performance of the glow plugs.On this engine they are virtually impossible to see,right at the back of the engine,under the inlet manifold.You have not stated what code reader you are using,but a lot of the cheapo xmas cracker scanners can give out false info.It may be worth your while to get the system tested properly.

2008 Volvo V50 1.6 diesel - Limp mode 'reduced engine power' - Woddy321
Thanks for the reply. Yeah I think your right, I will plug it in with the laptop at work and see if it brings up the same fault.

Sorry the fault was P0380 glow plug/ heater circuit A

And not the relay, my mistake.

It's worth pulling the plugs out and checking the power input supply also. I just had to double check as I never though a glow plug fault would cause this lack of power.

My only other thought.. As it is saying 'engine performance reduced' is it caused by something else as the engine doesn't really rely on glow plugs from a performance perspective, I'm thinking possibly along the lines of fuel filter (which has not long been replaced) or a common fault from what I understand is the catylic converter breaking up inside blocking the flow of exhaust gasses?

Thanks

Edited by Woddy321 on 05/12/2014 at 22:50

2008 Volvo V50 1.6 diesel - Limp mode 'reduced engine power' - juliaann

We had a similar problem on a v70 diesel and it turned out to be the intecooler. Think it came up on volvo computer but not sure as been a while ago

2008 Volvo V50 1.6 diesel - Limp mode 'reduced engine power' - hardway

sorry,

as no diesel I've ever heard of,

or worked on has an o2 sensor.

I'm thinking your scanner is the fault here.

'cause if there's no possible code for an o2 sensor then just how much can you trust any other codes pulled?

2008 Volvo V50 1.6 diesel - Limp mode 'reduced engine power' - elekie&a/c doctor

Most modern and current diesel engines fitted with a dpf and various emission features have an o2 sensor along with temperature and pressure sensors.

2008 Volvo V50 1.6 diesel - Limp mode 'reduced engine power' - volvo v50 Norway

hi ,

got same problem on my v50 1,6d , did you find the problem?

best regards

AJ

2008 Volvo V50 1.6 diesel - Limp mode 'reduced engine power' - Have ago Steve

Hi, i h vae a bit of trouble and i need someone to think out side of the box. i have my volvo v50 2008 1.6 Pug hdi engine.

I get error code indicating glow plug relay voltage to high. i removed glow plug no:1, and it came out easy, there is a receipt for the glow plug change in 2014. The trouble is the heater tip has remained in the head. i have seen videos on how to drill these out, But to be honest, its a do or die. what i would like to know is how to convince the glow plug relay that every thing is ok, so it takes the car out of limp mode.. if i rev the car it stops at 3000 revs, then if i rclear the code, the car then revs to 5K, so defiantly the relay is blocking the car and forcing into Limp mode. i tried just removing the relay but no change. can i fix a resistor or something to convince my old car, every thing is ok. or do i stick a voltage on the glowplug or a earth there has to be away of tricking this car,

2008 Volvo V50 1.6 diesel - Limp mode 'reduced engine power' - S40 Man

I would recommend a Volvo specific scanner. When I had my S40 I used a BSR PPC scanner. I found one on eBay, it looks expensive but mine saved me easily double that in garage fees. I am not sure you can get them new now. I remember I sold mine for more than I bought it for!

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174510486673

In terms of the glow plug if you could find the resistance of the plug you may be able to wire something external to the wire.

I'd suggest trying a Volvo specific forum, swedespeed, Volvo owners or similar. This might be too niche.