FIAT Punto - SUDDEN SLIPPING CLUTCH - CRISLTN

MY DAUGHTERS 1.2 PUNTO WAS FINE ONE DAY THEN THE NEXT DAY WENT OUT AND THE CLUTCH STARTED SLIPPING SERIOUSLY(TO THE POINT WHERE SHE COULD HARDLY PULL AWAY). CHECKED FLUID AND THATS FINE AND TOPPED UP ALTHOUGH A BIT CLOUDY. CAN A CLUTCH SUDDENLY START SLIPPING IN PUNTOS AS THERE ARE USUALLY TELL TALE SIGNS ON OTHER CARS.

THANKS IN ADVANCE

Edited by CRISLTN on 04/12/2014 at 16:29

FIAT Punto - SUDDEN SLIPPING CLUTCH - The-Mechanic

First things first : THERE'S NO NEED TO SHOUT. Caps lock can be turned off quite easily.

The fluid level will not cause the clutch to slip, nor will the condition. If its low or poor quality, it will usually make selecting gear difficult as the clutch will not disengage correctly. What you have is a worn clutch friction plate or weakened pressure plate.

Either way you'll need the gearbox out of it to replace it and whilst in there, inspect the flywheel and replace that too if it has heat damage from the slipping.

FIAT Punto - SUDDEN SLIPPING CLUTCH - bathtub tom

I'd first check to see if any oil was dripping out of the the bell housing.

FIAT Punto - SUDDEN SLIPPING CLUTCH - The-Mechanic

Ah, I forgot to add the possibility of oil contamination, it was late, I was tired. Good call bathtub tom.

FIAT Punto - SUDDEN SLIPPING CLUTCH - Railroad.

More likely the clkutch has been slipping for a while and you just haven't noticed it.

Does the clutch pedal feel normal? Do you have about 1" of free movement on the clutch pedal? If the answer to both is yes then you need a new clutch.