What should I buy? - Cambridge
OK, help needed as I am unable to make a decision.
What should I buy?

I want to spend max. £4,000 plus the value of my 205XLD (£500??).
It must have at least four doors.
I want reliability and good mpg.
Also, I want cheap insurance and good handling and performance.

Currently I'm thinking Mondeo 1.8 petrol (as Ford don't know anything abour diesels) or Xantia diesel (as PSA know everything about diesels!).

Any ideas?
What should I buy? - Miller
I have a Mk2 Mondeo 1.8 and it is a nice drive but its performance can be described as adequate at best and I get around 27-28 mpg even when driving carefully, so think about something else if you want good mpg.

Im a loser baby....so why don't you kill me?!
What should I buy? - Andrew-T
What's up, Cambridge - I thought you loved your 205? Or have you pulled up one too many trees?
I do love it! but it is two door and trying to lever the elderly in-laws into the back seat last weekend was too much!
Perhaps I should keep it just for agricultural activities...
What should I buy? - Andrew-T
On your Ford point, have a look at HJ's latest News item alongside! (though you will need more than 4 grand for one of those).
What should I buy? - Indy
Hi, I have a 1998 Mondeo 1.8LX. I have owned it for the last 22 months - i keep very detailed records (sad, I know!), it has so far returned 37.44 miles to the gallon over the last 21,000 miles that i have driven.
An earlier poster gets 28mpg from a Mondeo 1.8, while you get 37mpg.
This is strange. Wonder why.
What should I buy? - Indy
An earlier poster gets 28mpg from a Mondeo 1.8, while you
get 37mpg.
This is strange. Wonder why.

Well you need to ask him - like I said i keep very detailed records.
What should I buy? - davo
New shape Honda Accord - not sure about insurance - does all that you want and has quality written all over it.
What should I buy? - RichardW
Xantia, you KNOW it makes sense! They're dirt cheap really - 4.5k should get you an HDi 110 with a bit of haggling. Bags of performance, comfort (no kudos, but then you're trading up from a 205!), that unique floating ride, AND 50 MPG.

Richard
What should I buy? - RichardW
PS OR spend about 2.5k on a Xantia Activa (150BHP Turbo petrol with the active roll control suspension), saving the rest to cover the 30MPG fuel bills, and the plastic surgery to wipe the grin off your face....

Richard
What should I buy? - No Do$h
Yeah, but what about the insurance? Hideous, IIRC.
What should I buy? - Andy22
i know psa diesel engines are good but what about the electrical faults like rear windscreen demisters not working and the other french build quality problems.

i am an owner and i'm not buying another one until i've tried japanese!
What should I buy? - Maz
I wondered how long before someone mentioned Japanese!

I was going to suggest you try the beautiful Mazda Xedos. £4,000 buys an almost indecently good example of this beautiful car, but you didn't stipulate looks. Not great with fuel either, I wouldn't count on getting above 30 mpg.
What should I buy? - joe
I tried to find one of these when I was looking to change about 5 months ago. Although there were plenty for less than £4k, they all had big mileages and there were not that many about. Also, I was a bit scared off by the potential cost of the v6 going wrong, although I am sure that the usual Mazda reliability was in place.

If I had a bit more to spend and could have got a newer/low mileage model, I would have been seriously tempted. HJ seems impressed on his Car by Car breakdown.
What should I buy? - Maz
Thanks Joe, nice to see someone who has tried to buy in pratice, rather than fantasy (Me).

Pricewise, I agree that an extra 2 grand will get you a minter -around my way anyhow. Personally, I wouldn't give much or any consideration to the mileage.

I agree entirely about the potential cost if it did go wrong though - maybe swap the 206 for a years warranty.

That there aren't many around isn't Mazda's fault. They produced a car that made us gasp with beauty, raced it, and priced it reasonably. Someone somewhere decided it didn't have the image of a BMW, so everyone bought the Vectra.

They say that no one ever went bust underestimating public taste. Mazda nearly went bust overestimating it.
What should I buy? - bafta
Look for an Xedos 6 2.0i V6. It is a serious car with an understated but clean look. The V6 2.5 engine is a powerful beast and I suggest a manual gearbox as there have been problems with the V6 automatic transmissions in the states where this combination is popular with the 626 sedan. However, those cars are made in the Ford factory so I think that build quality is probably the issue. Your Xedos would be a japanese built machine and you could trace one on the net, I am sure. The timing belt, tensioner and HLA adjuster replacement is expensive on this engine so try to get one where this work has been recently done.
Ask your local Mazda franchise if they have any which are likely to be traded in as they usually don't like 'old' cars on the forecourt and sell them on. They will also know how many are about in your area.
Save some money for the insurance - group 16!
What should I buy? - Jonathan {p}
I have owned a mx6 (2.5 v6) for 3 years, without a single bit of trouble. The engines are absolutely bullet proof. Change the oil regularly, make sure the coolant is good so it doesn't overheat, and you cannot go wrong. Cambelt change and a full service can be had for £300. HLA adjusters shouldn't really need changing if oil has been changed regularly.

The only big probs with this car is the rear brake caliper sticking, and a weeping rocker gasket, which slowly fills the plug wells. This is a simple periodic drain and clean, not an issue as long as the oil isn't deep enough to short the HT leads.

I just sold my 1994 with 109k, fsh and very good condition for 3100. An absolute bargain!

The 626 gt which shares the same engine and is getting old now (92-94). Xedox 9 has this engine (not the xedox 6). Despite what HJ says about the belt damaging the valves, I know a number of other mx6 owners who's belts have let go and no damage has occurred. It is a non interference engine (although no one will ever admit to that).

Jonathan
What should I buy? - mal
If you don't need a big car you can get a decent Honda Civic for that money.
Look for a 1.5lsi, loads of mpg, fast enough when its needed, and reliable.
Mine has gone 160000 miles and only had to replace 1 radiator and front discs on top of the usual items.
That is my suggestion, but then I love Hondas as much as anybody else loves other suggested makes.
It would perhaps be a help also if you knew which makes and models to steer clear of but can't help you there.
At the end of the day it's up to you to digest the excellent advice the experts here can give you.

Good luck in your search.
What should I buy? - Morris Ox
Here, here.

Funnily enough, I'd offload my wife's 98S Civic 1.4SE 5 dr for just that kind of money. It's got aircon, CD player and needs someone who does more miles than we do.

For £4k the world's yr oyster. There's loads out there...
What should I buy? - bafta
Re. Your proposal of a sale:Morris Oxford to Cambridge - those leather bench seats! my mother wouldn't sit on anything else!
Interesting...
What colour is it?
Where are you?
Does it have a towbar?
Morris Ox - Cambridge
Are you out there?
Morris Ox - Morris Ox
I am indeed, but had to feign an interest in paid work for a few hours...

It's blue/green metallic, currently on a drive in Nottinghamshire, it doesn't have a towbar and I wouldn't recommend fitting one - the 1.4 is not that torquey.

What should I buy? - PB
You are bang on price range for an ex-fleet/finance mid range car 3-4 years old 70-80k miles... the auctions are full of these if you can find a knowledgeable friend to take to your local BCA. You'll save £1k+ on dealer prices for the same car.
PB.