BMW 530D SE TOURING or AUDI A6 Avant 3.0 Quatro - The agony of choice - Lord Baddlesmere

Hi,

after six years of treatment for cancer I am going to buy a car! I was all set on a Skoda Octavia 12 months old - BUT.... people have intervened and are demanding that I get a 'Gentlemens carraige" as I apparently deserve it.

My dilemma is, I have identified and driven a BMW 530D SE Touring which is great. Extras include Pro Sat nav, Sports gearbox and steering wheel, Head up display, Rear camera, Comfort seats etc on a 2010 60 plate 47,000 miles. My one reservation was the 19" alloys as I have damage to my spine. However, the dealer has agreed to change them to 18" wheels and throw in an extra years warranty.

Just about to go when a friend in the car business suggested I should try an Audi A6 Avant SE 3.0 Quatro. Having checked I can get one for similar money

Has any unbiased person had experience of both?

Help!

BMW 530D SE TOURING or AUDI A6 Avant 3.0 Quatro - The agony of choice - RT

I'm not unbiased as I have a jaundiced view of everything - I've been in remission from cancer for 30 years - so try them both and buy which YOU like best.

BMW 530D SE TOURING or AUDI A6 Avant 3.0 Quatro - The agony of choice - RobJP

When the latest generation 5-series came out in 2010, a couple of things weren't standard on it that really should have been. In 2011/2012, they were made standard. One of the things is heated seats, which make a massive difference in wintertime, especially if (like me) you suffer with a bad back.

No idea if the car you're looking at has them or not, obviously. But worth checking that someone specc'ed them onto it.

I've driven that generation A6 too - mine was a 2.7TDi estate (my BMW 5 series was a 520d estate). I'm not a big fan of the Audi S-line trim, same as the BMW M-sport trim, it can make the cars pretty unpleasant to drive.

Worth checking what the car is like on 18" wheels before you commit - you might find it's still not brilliant.

But as RT says, it's your call.

BMW 530D SE TOURING or AUDI A6 Avant 3.0 Quatro - The agony of choice - oldtoffee

I think a 530d will be significantly better than anything Audi has to offer for similar money. A 520d not so much at all but the 530 will be sublime as you will discover.

BMW 530D SE TOURING or AUDI A6 Avant 3.0 Quatro - The agony of choice - daveyK_UK

BMW component quality is on a different level to Audi IMO

BMW 530D SE TOURING or AUDI A6 Avant 3.0 Quatro - The agony of choice - Lord Baddlesmere

Hi Rob,

thanks for the input. It really is apprieciated.

The car does have heated seats and pretty good spec - I will as you suggest try the 18" wheels. The Dealer is happy to put 17" on as well.

In my business life I have driven hundreds of different cars in all parts of the world US, Europe, Asia. My company used to sponsor Lotus Le Mans team so have had some interesting track days as well. But I've never had to pay for my cars! The shock of doing so may be making me dither!

I guess I am in danger of over analysising! I drove the car (BMW) and liked it (The Comfort seats are a big improvement over standard)

I have driven the latest Skodas and they are very competent. As good as the old A4 - of a few years back, just doesn't stroke the ego in quite the same way.

I also recognise that this car is a vanity I could get away without one. Hopefully (everyone, thinks so anyway) that if I have a comfy car I will get out a bit more! we'll see!

Thanks again

BMW 530D SE TOURING or AUDI A6 Avant 3.0 Quattro - The agony of choice - Avant

I think it depends on the sort of driver you are. BMWs suit the person who likes to get the utmost out of the car, especially on twisty B-roads; Audis are for the more relaxed motorist who likes quality and comfort but also a good turn of speed. Also bear in mind that if you drive a lot in winter, FWD or 4wd is a better bet than RWD, although you still need winter or all-season tyres.

I've made a choice like yours several times, but I've always for various reasons come down on the side of buying new. The last three have been Octavia vRS estates: having just driven to Scotland and back - nearly 1,000 miles - last week in the current one, I find it hard to think of anything specific - or even any general feeling of well-being - that a BMW or Audi would have given me that the Skoda didn't.

The only answer is for you to try both BMW and Audi and see which you prefer - but why not also try a new or newish Skoda before you finally make up your mind?

I'm sure we all wish you all the best health-wise.

Edited by Avant on 25/11/2014 at 23:40

BMW 530D SE TOURING or AUDI A6 Avant 3.0 Quattro - The agony of choice - madf

Dow you get winter snow? If you do, the BMW will need winter tyres..Unless you like stationary wheels..

BMW 530D SE TOURING or AUDI A6 Avant 3.0 Quattro - The agony of choice - mark999

Dont discount the Octavia 4x4 or Scout. Although getting a bit expensive now.