Which Boiler - scot22

Hoping that someone may have personal experience to share.

Now having to replace traditional floor standing gas boiler after 30 plus years. Unfortunately no longer able to obtain replacement gas valve. What I can save on gas bills , allegedly, does not compare to cost of replacement. No can I see environmental justification for making all these replacement boilers - material plus energy used in manufacture. However, no choice.

I am hoping to replace floor standing regular boiler with the same and minumum additional pipework etc.

Seems two best replacements would be Worcester Bosch greenstar or Ideal Mexico HE. Has anyone any experience of these ? Any other worth considering ?

Thanks if anyone can share knowledge or tips..

Which Boiler - blindspot

Ideal classic,reliable,easy fault finding,easy fan replacement

Which Boiler - scot22

Thanks, we have an Ideal and have been impressed with reliability over 30 plus years.

Which Boiler - Palcouk

Just an observation;

If you consider environment / cost of replacement you probably wouldn't buy anything, but then as you have found you cannot obtain spares

Which satisfaction survey gives

Worcester 89% (Top)

Valliant 86%

Ideal 62% (last but 1of 13)

Which Boiler - scot22

Yes. I just got fed up of being told for the past few years the environmental benefit/cost saving if I bought a new boiler. I feel the same way about so called improved cars which are just money pits - especially re deprecation.

However, I can't change the world and have to be pragmatic. Thanks for taking the time to post that very helpful information - much appreciated.

Which Boiler - Armitage Shanks {p}

Plus, a local man will fit almost any boiler you select for hundreds of £s less than British Gas. Go and look at buiders supplies on the net, many boilers are delievered under £1000 but plus VAT of course.

Which Boiler - daveyjp
Ideal boilers of today are not the same as those of 30 years ago, nor are any other boilers!

Check warranty lengths. Don't go for anything less than 5 years as this is quite normal now, 7 years is not uncommon, 10 and 15 (Glow worm) years are available.

Unfortunately replacing a 30 year boiler won't necessarily be a straight swap. You may need alterations for the new flue regs (you may even have to move the boiler altogether), upgrading of gas supply pipe (22mm is now usual) and a full powerflush (£350+) will be required to honour any warranty on the new boiler.

Find a good installer (not British Gas who will over charge by 40-50%) and ask them to advise you what your options are.
Which Boiler - scot22

Thanks - that's all very helpful.

A few months ago BG came to give a quote - price as you say. Fortunately he seemed to think position of boiler etc O.K. I will follow advice and get good installer, possibly two, to advice. Its a shame that there doesn't seem to be any way of getting independent advice, i.e. someone not looking for the work.

I suppose finding a good one will be word of mouth - no obvious source of reviews ( all Gassafe )

Thanks again

Which Boiler - Hamsafar

Ideal boilers are junk. We had one, abeit an Isar and when googling about problems it became clear plumbers think they are crap quality and unreliable.

Which Boiler - scot22

Thanks.

Worcester Bosch Greenstar seems to be the best buy for me.

Unless someone know differently.........

Which Boiler - alan1302

Thanks.

Worcester Bosch Greenstar seems to be the best buy for me.

Unless someone know differently.........

Just asked my wife who used to work for a heating company and she woudl go with Worcester Bosch as well. You can get parts better for them as well.

Which Boiler - daveyjp
I was at a plumbers merchants today and after the business chat was over I asked him what boilers he recommends.

They supply about 8 in three different price bands.

Premier league. Veissman, Vaillant, Worcester. Like deciding between Audi, BMW or Mercedes. All excellent. Worcester parts are easy to get hold of, but you may also have the need to replace parts as they do suffer regular failures. He keeps a good supply of more common parts as there are so many Worcesters out there he sells them.

Vaillant parts can be difficult as the company tweak designs regularly. He knows the current range has had 4 or 5 different pumps in as many years. He doesn't sell many Vaillant parts.

Veissman. Very rare they have to sell spare parts. Plumbers he deals with treat them as "fit and forget"

Cheaper ranges are Vokera, Ideal, Baxi
Which Boiler - scot22

Thanks davey that is all extremely helpful. I cant speak too highly of how supportive this forum is. For someone like me it is invaluable to learn from others. Thanks again.

Which Boiler - daveyjp

No probs. I tried to edit the last post last night, but for some reason the website kept crashing. I was going to mention another brand the merchant does called Heatline - I had never heard of them, but they are part of the Vaillant/Glow Worm group of companies.

A cheaper alternative to Vaillant, but apparently they contain both Vaillant and Glow worm components. They do however only have a two year warranty.

Which Boiler - Andrew-T
Ideal boilers of today are not the same as those of 30 years ago, nor are any other boilers!

Just what my plumber said today after his fourth visit in three weeks (see other thread above). Keep the old one going unless there is a very good reason not to.

In my previous house we inherited a solid floor-plinthed Thorn which lasted about 25 years before it was sacrificed to a full k1tchen refurb. Removing it released enough space for a small fridge. Its replacement was a wall-mounted Potterton in another room, with a 12-month warranty. A couple of months after that expired, the PCB failed, costing £200 to replace. While it worked it worked well, though.

Edited by Andrew-T on 14/01/2015 at 23:15

Which Boiler - Leif
Modern boilers are more complex, so more can go wrong. Old ones often carry on until you can't get parts.

I do wonder how old and new compare in terms of average gas bills. I know modern ones are supposed to be very efficient, but in practice?
Which Boiler - bathtub tom
I do wonder how old and new compare in terms of average gas bills. I know modern ones are supposed to be very efficient, but in practice?

My old back boiler's still working on. I know it's not as efficient as a modern one, but I can't justify the expense of replacing it, because it just doesn't cost in.

Which Boiler - gordonbennet
My old back boiler's still working on. I know it's not as efficient as a modern one, but I can't justify the expense of replacing it, because it just doesn't cost in.

Same here, our combi was roughly 12 years old when we moved in, its now roughly another 12 years older and working well at the moment.

Had we fitted a new super-nukem efficient model when we moved in there's every chance it would be on its last legs now and a super-super-nukem replacement needed, would either pay for themselves over a theoretical 12 year life (if new ones last that long now) as against the increased fuel cost of leaving the old one in place, i don't know.

It'll stay in place until our boiler man says its beyond repair, as it is he says leave well alone its working fiane and parts are not yet a problem, its in his interests to say scrap it cos he'll be fitting the new one.

Are we going to see £2k in fuel savings in the real world over a probable ten year lifecycle of the latest boilers costing around £2k fitted...most of us here don't spend £10k on a car to get another 10mpg.

Which Boiler - Andrew-T

<< ... our combi was roughly 12 years old when we moved in, its now roughly another 12 years older and working well at the moment. >>

As described in a parallel thread, our combi was about 6 years old when we moved in here. Eight years on, and new ballast vessel and intake heat exchanger have been fitted to prevent system pressure reaching mains pressure (over 3 bar). Basically it has been rebuilt, as the plumber made 4 visits before all the snags were identified - he did what the Worcester helpline advised him to do, which wasn't always the correct guess.

Parts seem to be readily available. He is an experienced plumber but says he has never had to swap a heat exchanger before (internal leak). So I expect this boiler should see our time out.

Which Boiler - Andrew-T

As described in a parallel thread, our combi was about 6 years old when we moved in here. Eight years on, and new ballast vessel and intake heat exchanger have been fitted to prevent system pressure reaching mains pressure (over 3 bar). Basically it has been rebuilt, as the plumber made 4 visits before all the snags were identified - he did what the Worcester helpline advised him to do, which wasn't always the correct guess.

Parts seem to be readily available. He is an experienced plumber but says he has never had to swap a heat exchanger before (internal leak). So I expect this boiler should see our time out.

UPDATE - - Nine years on, and this boiler was serviced recently. No parts needed except a cheap bleed valve on the top. The pressure gauge had ceased to read because of accumulated dirt, which was cleared. Boiler now 25 years old and seems to have a future.

Which Boiler - FP

I was in a similar position to the OP about three years ago - the old boiler (about 20 years old) was breaking down at least once a year and parts were becoming difficult to obtain.

I opted for a Vaillant. It has definitely been more economical. However, it broke down just outside the guarantee period. Problem: failure of the expansion vessel (the part that compensates for the change in the volume of the water in the closed (pressurised) circuit as the temperature changes).

My heating engineer's expert view was that there is an inherent design problem with many high-efficiency boilers. There is a trend to make them more and more compact, for obvious reasons, and the expansion vessel is really too small to do its job without being at the limit of its capabilities.

We opted for an unconventional solution: the expansion vessel in the boiler was replaced and in addition a small radiator in the utility room, which has always been switched off, was drained of water and, being now filled with air, acts as a supplementary expansion vessel, taking the strain off the one in the boiler. No problem since.

Important tip: when a high-efficiency boiler is fitted it will have a drain pipe to get rid of the condensate. If this is routed outside, it will freeze in winter unless a wide-bore pipe is fitted. When it freezes, the boiler will stop working. It's better to route it into the waste of a wash-basin inside the house, or something similar, when a small-bore pipe can be used.

Edited by FP on 02/12/2014 at 16:59

Which Boiler - scot22

Thanks for additional info davey. FP that's very useful help. Seems a shame that things seem to go just after guarantee period - I bet there's some kind of law !

I do think that the willingness of people on this forum to help is outstanding and its very active, unlike some others.

Which Boiler - Chris M

We had a Worcester fitted about 4 years ago and it's been 100% reliable and cheaper to run than the previous 25 year old Glow Worm.We had four quotes including a joke from BG. All but one favoured Worcester.

Agree about running the condensate pipe indoors as a neighbour's froze several times until they had it moved inside. I think some plumbers go for the easiest option.

Which Boiler - Smileyman

last January I had a new plumber service and safety check a boiler for a community premises I look after, he refused to pass the boiler until the drain pipe had been replaced with a wider one, citing the freezing issue mentioned earlier. This fell into place as 5 years ago the old boiler had failed and now we see why.

Which Boiler - FP

As update on this: between Christmas and the end of the year 2014 I had another failure of the expansion vessel in the boiler; the unused radiator which had been emptied and was functioning as an additional expansion vessel had filled up and was not providing any back-up.

My heating engineer didn't even bother to take the cover off the boiler and simply fitted an additional expansion vessel on the wall below. (Apparently it has twice the capacity of the original.)

The heating system had recently been working harder than before, in that we had a number of overnight guests and bedrooms that normally are unheated were pressed into service.

But it shows that the expansion vessel fitted to the boiler as standard is not up to the job.

Which Boiler - Andrew-T

But it shows that the expansion vessel fitted to the boiler as standard is not up to the job.

... nor was the extra rad you fitted ... :-)

Which Boiler - FP

"...the extra rad you fitted..."

To be pedantic, it wasn't fitted specifically - it was already there, permanently turned off. And probably the valve on the return side wasn't 100% leakproof.

Also, a radiator doesn't have the diaphragm that separates water from air, as in a proper expansion vessel, which prevents the air pocket from gradually dissolving in the water - another reason why using the radiator is really only a temporary measure.

Which Boiler - alan1302

Could it not be that it's either faulty of not suitable for your home rather than being a design flaw?

Which Boiler - FP

"Could it not be that it's either faulty of not suitable for your home rather than being a design flaw?"

Possibly - I'm not qualified to say, really. I'm going on the supposedly expert opinion of my heating engineer, who suggested that the design constraints involved in producing a compact boiler that can churn out a lot of heat mean that there is little margin for error in the expansion vessel.

Certainly the performance of the boiler in keeping the house warm suggests that its heat output is suitable for my home.

It might be that I've been unlucky in having two integrated expansion vessels fail, but at least, now the stand-alone one has been fitted, that should be the end of the problem.

Which Boiler - Andrew-T

I'm going on the supposedly expert opinion of my heating engineer, who suggested that the design constraints involved in producing a compact boiler that can churn out a lot of heat mean that there is little margin for error in the expansion vessel.

I can understand the space constraint - the ballast vessel on my Worcester combi is about as big as a loaf of bread. But unless your system is pretty large, the amount the water expands when heated (relative to the metal system) must be fairly small, probably less than a litre, so I wouldn't have thought a huge vessel is needed?

Which Boiler - FP

It's a four-bedroom house, three reception rooms, two bathrooms, downstairs loo, utility room, plus k******.

Hot water is from the boiler as well as heat.

I understand the contents of a sealed system can expand by as much as 4%, but I don't know the total volume of my system.

My heating engineer tells me the stand-alone expansion vessel he has fitted is over twice the volume of the one in the boiler.

Which Boiler - Leif
Odd, Vaillant is one of the premium brands. Maybe a design flaw, or bad luck.
Which Boiler - Leif

As said, Worcester, Weissmann and Vaillant are the best. Worcester have good warranties, I had three years on mine, it would have been 5 years had it been installed by a WB approved installer.That suggests that WB are confident of their boilers.

I was told that my Worcester Bosch 30CDI tends to fur up in hard water areas, requiring servicing at £200. I suspect it is a common feature of all boilers. 3.5 years and no issues, mind you that is not long is it.

Which Boiler - RobJP

We had a new boiler fitted about 3 years ago - we're on oil.

Our old boiler was a Worcester from 1992, and had been going strong. However, when servicing it, our local, highly competent 'tame' plumber found that the burner (chamber ?) was starting to disintegrate. When he went to see about a new part, he found that the builder's merchants had a decent sale on.

He pointed out to us that the cost of a new Worcester plus fitting would probably be recovered within 3-4 years - they aren't like cars, they really have had massive improvements in efficiency.So we went for it.

Since then, it's been perfect, just like the old one was. However, the difference in the amount of oil we go through is extraordinary. I'd liken the old boiler to a bit of a lush, whereas the new one sips, in a refined (excuse the pun) manner.

In addition, the new boiler paid for itself within 2 years.

Which Boiler - scot22

Thanks again for these posts. I now know a lot more than I did !

Which Boiler - concrete

Hello scot22, In recent years I have had installed a Viessmann, a Vaillant and Worcester Bosch Greenstar in different properties. All are excellent and have not given any real trouble except for the Vaillant. Nothing major but niggling seeing as how they trade on their reputation. In short take your pick, sometimes they have promotions on and you can get a bargain. The main thing is to find a really competant and reliable installer, just as important as the equipment itself. Good luck. Concrete

Which Boiler - Leif

I've also heard that the installer is important. My WB was installed with a 15mm gas pipe which meant it was not up to the regulations, and could have been disconnected as being unsafe. They also put some pipe leak sealant into the radiator, which WB advise against. Fortunately I had it serviced by WB and they spotted the inadequate gas pipe, and they installers came back and put on a 22mm pipe. My boiler seems to have survived the abuse, but make sure you get a good installer. An accredited one might be worth getting, rather than the cheapest.

Incidentally the first chap to service the boiler did not even take the cover off. WB said that he should have taken it off to clean the insides. He was on CheckATrade aka CheckABodger. That is why I got in WB for the next service, and they spotted the undersized gas pipe (which the bodger had missed). In my experience there are a lot of poor trades around, even those with the correct qualifications e.g. gas safe.

Which Boiler - KB.

ALERT! ALERT!

Major thread resurrection!

Curent boiler is a 21 yr old cast iron Heat Exchanger Ideal Classic FanFare 250 (50,000btu/h) serving 14 rads and hot water cylinder in a 4 bed house with 1 bath and 1 shower and two people living in it. System is open vent.

The boiler works OK but has had the usual fan, circuit board and gas-valve replacements over the ten years I've lived here. System has had water drained and replaced 10 yrs ago and has loads of Sentinel X100 but the water's still black/brown however the rads get hot enough so possibly not too much sludge. Obviously either the heat exchanger or the rads are rusty ... perhaps both?

Magnetic Spirotech filter fitted three yrs ago and gets emptied regularly.

It all works OK so no immediate action needed .... but .... if the boiler failed again due to, say, another fan failure, it'll probably be a replacement. I've run an extra cable between pump and boiler for to allow for the extra live required on a new boiler and the condensate drain can be accommodated without undue inconvenience. Gas supply is 22mm. All of this tells me a straight swap for another heat only/regular boiler is needed.

So the question is what one?

My inclination is to get as long a warranty as possible in the knowledge it'll need an annual Gas Safe Engineer service and that I might need it to be installed by a manufacturer approved fitter.

I'd like to go for a heat exchanger that might be heavier duty thanthe regular aluminium and only a few offer stainless heat exchangers on the open vent regular boilers (i.e. not the system boilers or combis)

Options:-

1. Viessman 100W open vent (of an appropriate size.)

2. Intergas - ditto

3. Atag open - ditto

The following don't have stainless HEX

Worcester Bosch, Vaillant, Ideal (the Voque does but not in a heat only/regular boiler). Baxi, Glow-worm .... plus all the others.

The trouble with the first three is the limited number of installers/service engineers/spare parts. However you only instal it once and with a 7 or ten yr parts and labourwarranty you're not concerned about buying spares as they're incuded in the warranty. But if the engineer can't get a part over the Christmas break you might see it differently.

Having read all the avauilable reviews and forums there are mixed reports on all of them but most seem the rate ther first three above the others.

Enough rambling. Experience of owners appreciated.

Edited by KB. on 02/10/2017 at 00:07

Which Boiler - concrete

Hello KB. You require a system boiler as opposed to a Combi. That is fine. You can do many things to improve efficiency but rely heavily on the manufacturers and installers reputations. I posted for this nearly 3 years ago and things have not changed. The Viessman and the Worcester have proven to be very reliable. The Vaillant very good. As a system boiler they don't have to work as hard as a Combi and have fewer parts inside. So pick your boiler. Then pick your installer with even greater care. If you have a new boiler fitted then you could also upgrade the insulation around pipework, HW cylinders, maybe TV's on radiators. You could take the opportunity to thoroughly flush the system and re-fill with the correct inhibitor (Fernox et al). The inhibitor should be topped up every 3 years BTW.

Alternatively you could have the boiler claened and serviced and soldier on and save up some money ready for inevitable replacement. Keep your old boiler and improve the system as suggested, making further savings. My orignal old Gloworm was nearly 20 years old and was cleaned and serviced regularly and was still nearly 80% efficient. Not bad for that technology. The extra gas saving with a 92% efficiency boiler would take dozens of years to recover the replacement cost. So maybe live with what you have for now. I only changed mine to accomodate some structural alterations when extending the house.

Good luck and let is know what transpires.

Cheers Concrete

Which Boiler - KB.

Ta for the reply.

I did say .... " All of this tells me a straight swap for another heat only/regular boiler is needed."

I don't want a combi and didn't intend to give an impression that I might want one.

I don't want a system boiler either on the grounds that I currently have a feed and expansion tank in the loft plus (obviously enough) an insulated hot water cylinder with seperate adjacent pump and a three way diverter valve and all are working OK........ I don't want to convert to a sealed pressurised system (as would be the case with a system boiler) as I'm happier with the current un-pressurised arrangement curently in place as it doesn't involve having two bars of pressure in an old system and I'm happy to have an independantly sited circulation pump, not one incorporated into a (system) boiler.

I already have TRVs.

I will certainly flush the system as a precurser to any new installation but even this has it's pros and cons insofar as some suggest a pressurised flush plus aggressive chemicals might provoke a leak in an old system (but it is in need of a good flush and a powerflush is probably required ... especially as it's a microbore system.

Insulation is currently as good as is practical (insulated cylinder and insulated flow and return in the garage).

Current boiler is regularly serviced and inhibitor is topped up regularly but, apart from using Sentinel/Fernox etc., I don't know how to specifically clean the (cast iron) heat exchanger on a boiler.

Point taken re. choice of installer. I doi have a mate who could/would fit an Ideal and still have the warranty - but he wouldn't attract the extra warranty on a Viessman (have yet to check out the Vaillant extended warranty requirements and costs).

Choice of boiler is more the conundrum. Having spoken to a Viessman registered installer today I get the impression (from him, and others) that Viessman boilers are the dog's danglies BUT the back-up arrangements can be hit and miss and the spare parts availability can be tricky. When I rang Viessman last week I got a decent feeling but this morning I spoke to a different advisor and she failed to inspire me with confidence. If a Viessman installation went well and if the boiler didn't give trouble I'm sure it would be a sensible option but I'm starting to wonder if a slightly more "popular" and well recognized make of boiler might make sense.

I will write off Intergas and Atag on the grounds of their being too unknown and unfamiliar to most installers and the parts availablity could be difficult.

Vaillant could still be an option and I'll pursue that further (shame that Heat Only Vaillants don't have a stainless Steel HEX ....but an Ideal Logic Plus Heat Only can be had with a 7 year warranty on parts and labour provided their magnetic system filter is fitted. And the advantage is that Ideal back up might be more readily available than Viessman.

Thanks again. Food for thought.

Which Boiler - concrete

Well done KB tou have given this some thought. I appreciate your comment regarding a pressurised system. However you only need just over 1 bar (about 15psi) to operate and it does show up any leaks very quickly and they can then be fixed, whereas a tank feed can slowly feed the system and you are non the wiser. Also a leak may indicate why your system water is still black after changing and inhibiting. A leak can allow air to be drawn into the system when pumped and this can cause corrosion. If you stick with the old system check it over thoroughly and maybe add some leak sealer with the inhibitor. A seperate pump in an accessible location is ideal of course should you need to replace it.

Regarding cleaning the cast iron heat exchanger. Remove the boiler casing. Then the burner chamber sealing plate and the top sealing plate where the flue is if possible. Remove or cover the burner to protect it from dust and debris. Insert a suitably sized stiff bristled brush between the exchanger plates and clean off any built up scale from the surface. just like brushing large teeth. You will be amazed how much crud you get from that. hoover it all out including all around the burner chamber and burner. Check the flame failure probe to ensure it is in correct contact with the flames. Spray some WD40 or similar onto the flue fan bearings and spin freely. Replace the plates and ensure correct sealing. Fire it up and check burner settings according to the manufactureers guide. Also check flue emissions if required. You will find the water heats quicker than before. Do this annually and you will keep the exchanger clean and efficient.

I don't blame you for not wanting a Combi. For a decent size house with multi occupancy they have their limitations. When the kids were all at home and we were a family with all the needs, I had a water storage system too. As efficient as I could get it of course.

Good luck. Concrete

Which Boiler - nick62

Concrete, unless you are Gas Safe certified, it is illegal to open-up the burner chamber on a gas boiler!

Which Boiler - FP

"... unless you are Gas Safe certified, it is illegal to open-up the burner chamber on a gas boiler!"

I'm not sure this is correct. If you are doing gas work (for others) for money, then indeed you must be Gas Safe certified, but if you're doing it for yourself my understanding is that the law says simply that you have to be a "competent" person.

Which Boiler - nick62

..................... if you're doing it for yourself my understanding is that the law says simply that you have to be a "competent" person.

Your understanding is wrong I'm afraid. If done incorrectly this could lead to combustion problems and carbon dioxide poisoning.

Edited by nick62 on 03/10/2017 at 22:47

Which Boiler - FP

"If done incorrectly this could lead to combustion problems and carbon dioxide poisoning."

I don't question that; I think we all know that badly done gas work is potentially highly dangerous, but I'm trying to clarify the legal position.

If you say it's illegal to do gas work for yourself, could you please point me to something to back this up?

I have been advised, by a Gas Safety certified person, that my understanding is correct.

Edited by FP on 03/10/2017 at 22:56

Which Boiler - nick62

My friend who is Gas Safe certified told me any work which inside the heat exchanger must be done by a certified person. There is no reason why he would tell me this if it wasn't fact.

Which Boiler - FP

"There is no reason why he would tell me this if it wasn't fact."

I could say exactly the same about what I was told - and it was a response which could have cost him payment for putting in a new gas hob if I had done it instead of him, so he had no incentive to lie.

(Actually, I paid him and he did it.)

Which Boiler - RichardW

>>My friend who is Gas Safe certified told me any work which inside the heat exchanger must be done by a certified person. There is no reason why he would tell me this if it wasn't fact.

Your friend is mis-informed... extract from the regs below. Whilst you have to be 'competent' (which is not specified) membership of trade body is only required if you are employed to do the work.

Qualification and supervision

3.—(1) No person shall carry out any work in relation to a gas fitting or gas storage vessel unless he is competent to do so.

(2) The employer of any person carrying out such work for that employer, every other employer and self-employed person who has control to any extent of such work and every employer and self-employed person who has required such work to be carried out at any place of work under his control shall ensure that paragraph (1) above is complied with in relation to such work.

(3) Without prejudice to the generality of paragraphs (1) and (2) above and subject to paragraph (4) below, no employer shall allow any of his employees to carry out any work in relation to a gas fitting or service pipework and no self-employed person shall carry out any such work, unless the employer or self-employed person, as the case may be, is a member of a class of persons approved for the time being by the Health and Safety Executive for the purposes of this paragraph.

(4) The requirements of paragraph (3) above shall not apply in respect of—

(a)the replacement of a hose or regulator on a portable or mobile space heater; or

(b)the replacement of a hose connecting a re-fillable cylinder to installation pipework.

Which Boiler - daveyjp
Just to upate this with the current thoughts of my gas engineer who I saw last week.

Despite him being dressed in full Vaillant clothing he no longer recommends them. The Ecotec range had a poor diverter valve design which meant many failed early (ours has been fine in 5 years). He gets regular call out work as he’s Vaillant registered, the fee he gets barely covers his costs, but he can’t refuse.

In their wisdom Vaillant have kept the same design for the latest boilers and he is disappointed there has been no redesign based on feedback of repair jobs,
Which Boiler - KB.

Appreciate the comments. Ta.

Re. attending to the boiler myself.... I do have a mate who is Gas Safe registered and installs and services boilers and who looks after my system. He used to clean my burner by means of hoovering it out, but these days he just does the flue test with the meter and checks for gas soundness etc. (there was rarely much to hoover out). He knows me well enough to know that if there was a leaking TRV or suchlike that I would have spotted it so doesn't do a visual check of the system. We both know the boiler is on borrowed time. We have kept it going by means of replacement parts and regular inhibitor treatment but we both know that a further fan or PCB or gas-valve failure would suggest the time has come. It is 21 yrs old. Furthermore ... how in the world would I check flue emissions and burner settings without a meter? I've not claimed to be a technician, installer, or even competent ... I don't think it's a good idea to advise such work given my absence of qualifications ... if I made an error and the boiler exploded then I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get my balls chewed off by the appropriate authorities.

Other observations re. the boiler duly noted - thanks ... as mentioned I won't be touching the boiler myself given that my mate would do it if needed - he's not expensive and doesn't rip me off. Might be worth the drop of oil on the fan bearings if it looks as though it'll get to where it's needed.

Point taken re. the possibility of a leak causing the black water ... however after 12 years here I think I would have been made aware of a leak as the pipework doesn't go below ground floor (the ground floor rads are fed by drop downs from the first floor). The only possibility is a leak inside the hollow downstairs walls whereby it could drip down to the ground without being seen - everywhere else I think I'd have seen discolouration.

In the past couple of days have continued to cogitate and read as much as poss. online and have spoken to a couple of "approved installers" for two of the manufacturers mentioned. And have contacted Vaillant, Intergas and Viessmann to see what sort of response was to be had when asking questions.

It was Vaillant who made it easiest to rule out a manufacturer: the bloke on the Service Department phone took a good while to answer ( music on hold plus recorded messages saying they're experiencing high call volumes etc etc) and was particularly vague regarding my questions concerning warranty and response times and even if the boilers were the best in the world, I simply didn't get a remotely good feeling regarding the back up. I asked what Homeserve and Domestic & General had to do with Vaillant and he said "they just take our warranty registrations for us" whereas I understand that those two companies provide the warranty cover on extended warranties but he denied that. Research online confirms that Domestic & General and Homeserve do substantially more than "just take registration details" and the feedback isn't good. He wasn't being entirely open to me. I won't be buying a Vaillant.

Re. a possible replacement boiler, when needed, I'm still considering Intergas and Ideal Logic Plus 'Heat Only' replacements ... both fit conveniently where the old one is sited (the Viessmann has flow/return pipes at the bottom rather than the (current) top of the boiler thus creating a little extra work when fitting (admittedly, not a big deal either way)...... and haven't discounted the possibility of Viessmann. Will probably write off an Atag as there's only one installer for miles around, and have written off Vaillant. Probably won't go Worcester Bosch either although I realise they're popular. My mate is familiar with Ideal and might be the easiest option.

It is a bit of a minefield and if I don't use my mate (coz he's not Intergas approved and you have to use an approved fitter to get extra warranty) then I need to be sure the installer is gonna be OK and we try to cover all bases.

Thanks for replies.

Edited by KB. on 04/10/2017 at 15:28

Which Boiler - concrete

Well done KB. If your rad are drop fed then a leak would be fairly obvious. However a small weep which opens and closes with expansion/contraction can be there, but probably unlikely. The inhibitor does have the capacity to seal small leaks by forming a cristal around the leak which will seal a small low pressure leak. Probably the main reason you do get black water, even though you inhibit, is beacuse the rads are drop fed. It is virtually impossible for the pump to shift all the haevy sludge that can settle into the read bottoms. Only removel and flushing will do this. It will effect efficiency but don't worry too much about it. If you refill and inhibit correctly and then regularly you should have no trouble.

Gas safety certification is a must for any work on a gas appliance. Even water connections are a bone of contention between the competent person and certificated fitters. Some very good heating/plumbing engineers are not certificated because of the cost. Some gas safe engineers are not very good at plumbing/heating work and specialise in boilers only. My thinking would be that if you are not certificated then do not install or work on any gas appliance. The consequences are too grave. By all means work on the system but not the appliance.

I was disappointed with Vaillant too. Viessman and Worcester have been excellent. The Vaillant engineer, called out after only 5 months tried to blame the water for the fault on the boiler. Claiming that it was 'contaminated'. When I pointed out it only fed 4 rads and a basin and shower and the system was flushed when the boiler installed and inhibited afterwards he was taken aback slightly. As soon as he realised that I knew what I was talking about he clammed up. I contacted his regional manager and after some discussion he extended the warranty on my boiler for a futher 12 months after the manufacturers warranty, he put it in writing too. I suspect to avoid his engineer being embarrased in any ensuing court action.

Keep your system going KB and put aside a nominal sum every month to cover eventual replacement. Good luck. Concrete

Which Boiler - Engineer Andy
Just to upate this with the current thoughts of my gas engineer who I saw last week. Despite him being dressed in full Vaillant clothing he no longer recommends them. The Ecotec range had a poor diverter valve design which meant many failed early (ours has been fine in 5 years). He gets regular call out work as he’s Vaillant registered, the fee he gets barely covers his costs, but he can’t refuse. In their wisdom Vaillant have kept the same design for the latest boilers and he is disappointed there has been no redesign based on feedback of repair jobs,

I suppose it depends on how long their development time is for each new product coming on-stream. As a system designer (I'm a mechanical building services engineer, though am currently looking to get out of the construction industry as [for various reasons] I'm fed up working in it) I never really heard many bad reports about Vaillant boilers for home use (I've often designed new build and refurbs using them), though I must admit its not that easy, given only a few people work for the same client (e.g. housing associations, developers/major house builders, etc) constantly throughout a career (very boring work!) to be able to get great feedback. I've always tried to ask the FM staff or suchlike if they've had any issues - its far easier to get decent feedback on commercial grade boilers.

For what its worth (I've had a few beefs about the quality of their reviews of late), Which? magazine still rate the Vaillant EcoTec boilers highly, just behind the equivalent from Worcester (Bosch), and has been for many years now. In my experience, both are still a cut above the other commonly found brands available in the UK. Some other European brands such as Viessmann and Buderus (now part of the Bosch group and thus are only producing commerical boilers; Worcester covering the domestic side) are/have been highly rated but are/were rarer and parts not easily available. In my view, the 'British' (made) makes are fair to middling, though I think what makes the biggest difference in the ownership experience is the quality of the original installer and your plumber.

I should note that quite a few plumbers (see comments below) are often only certified/qualified (which costs THEM lots of money to achieve every few years or so) on particular makes, sometimes also getting a better discount as well, though they may not pass that on to customers, and thus may (I stress, MAY) 'guide' customers (as some shop assistants do in stores towards products they get commission on selling that day/week) towards a particular brand and away from direct competitors. I've seen more than my fair share of plumbers and fitters who 'swear by' certain makes and constantly 'diss' others, often in contradiction to eachother, so always be wary of taking them at face value.

PS - I know its a bit pedantic, but I wish plumbers (that's what they are) would refer to themselves as such - they aren't engineers (that's not to denigrate them, as they are often highly skilled and do a great deal to help homeowners, and, as you describe, give 'coal face' feedback on equipment), so shouldn't refer to themselves as such.

Hello KB. You require a system boiler as opposed to a Combi. That is fine. You can do many things to improve efficiency but rely heavily on the manufacturers and installers reputations. I posted for this nearly 3 years ago and things have not changed. The Viessman and the Worcester have proven to be very reliable. The Vaillant very good. As a system boiler they don't have to work as hard as a Combi and have fewer parts inside. So pick your boiler. Then pick your installer with even greater care. If you have a new boiler fitted then you could also upgrade the insulation around pipework, HW cylinders, maybe TV's on radiators. You could take the opportunity to thoroughly flush the system and re-fill with the correct inhibitor (Fernox et al). The inhibitor should be topped up every 3 years BTW.

Alternatively you could have the boiler claened and serviced and soldier on and save up some money ready for inevitable replacement. Keep your old boiler and improve the system as suggested, making further savings. My orignal old Gloworm was nearly 20 years old and was cleaned and serviced regularly and was still nearly 80% efficient. Not bad for that technology. The extra gas saving with a 92% efficiency boiler would take dozens of years to recover the replacement cost. So maybe live with what you have for now. I only changed mine to accomodate some structural alterations when extending the house.

Good luck and let is know what transpires.

Cheers Concrete

Quite right - all this guff from sales people AND so-called government experts (pretending its all 'eco-friendly) telling people they should replace their boilers with new, 90% efficient ones is utter rubbish. Even with a boiler that's only 70% efficient, but working fine, the cost of installing a new one (between £2k and £3.5k - the installtion in some circumstances can cost just as much as purchasing the boiler itself) will never be recouped and the relatively small amount of gas saved during the new boiler's life is more than outweighed by all the CO2 produced in the production of the new model and its installation. Far, far better to spend that money on home improvements, particularly insulating (where possible/practicable) wall cavities, roof spaces, water pipework and storage vessels, and installing better quality windows that leak less heat, so you need less heating to start with.

In my view if a boiler is reliable and consumable parts are reasonably easily available and not too pricey, its always best to keep the existing one running, at the very least until its anticipated lifespan ends, for converional heat only and system boilers, between 20 and 25 years (30 if you're lucky), and combis between 15 to 20 years.

The lifespan is dependent just as much on it the quality of servicing/maintenance as it is its design and original installation, though water hardness can have a large bearing on lifespan on combi boilers (heat exchangers [HX] clogging up like kettle elements) and hot water storage cylinders/calorifiers on the conventional systems. A poorly designed boiler HX in a hard water area and/or without protection can fail in as little as two years, which is why many boiler manufacturers only guarantee their boilers for that long, or least th HX part.

Which Boiler - KB.

Ta for the above.

Just spoken to a local firm who are listed as approved installers for Vaillant, Worcester Bosch and they'll fit Ideal if needed, but seem to prefer not to.

Their installation manager is coming next week to have a look and price up.

The guvnor at the firm did shed some light on Vaillant following my observations aired in my earlier note, above. He said on an EcoTec Vaillant the warranty (using themselves - being an approved installer) is 7 years but no extension available to 10 years on the Heat Exchanger as I understand it.

I do now believe though that for £150 you can extend the whole boiler warranty to10yrs and he said said that Homeserve and/or Domestic & General are likely to implement that extra period... which, I suggest, is where they primarily come in to the equation, rather than just take registration details, as was told me by the Service Department. Obviously they do take details but use them to contact you later with offers of extended warranties.

Confusingly though, the guvnor of the firm coming next week (who favours Vaillant) did say that when the fella visits me next week, his personal preference is for Worcester Bosch rather than Vaillant ... so that's gonna be interesting.

Both the above have aluminium HX's. I was hoping for a stainless steel one but it seems I would have to get a Viessmann to achieve that and sourcing a Viesmann installer is more restrictive and their spares are only available from their UK hub and not in local shops therefore Viessmann is a bit more of a leap in the dark for me.

Point taken re. keeping the current one running. Certainly can do that - but want to be prepared and informed so that if and when a new boiler IS needed I know what to get and where to get it from.

Finally, it would seem that warranty on HX's is more than two yrs for several/many/most of the better makes and ten yearts isn't unknown (i.e. Viessmann for one)

Further thanks for opinions etc.

Edited by KB. on 04/10/2017 at 18:56

I think aluminium HXes are used, like with pots and pans, they are far better at heat transfer than steel (stainless steel included), not as good as copper, but more hardy (but obviously not as much as steel).

Getting a water conditioner on the main cold water intake (or at least on the cold water feed to the combi boiler of HW cylinder) will help to keep the limescale down to varying degrees, but you do get what you pay for:

1. A 'cheapo' limefighter (in-line permanent magnet type) will set you back about £30-£60 (lower end of the range for a 0.5in/15mm version, near the upper end for a 0.75in/22mm version) but do very little to lessen the effects of limescale, especially in hard water areas;

2. A more expensive electromagnetic unit is better, but these range from cheapo rubbish (costing about £100), mostly a few wires coiled around a section of pipe, all the way up to the ultra expensive discus-looking HydroMAG (patented, hence why 99% of all others are both far cheaper and not anywhere near as good) at approaching £1000 (yes, that's right) for the 15mm connection version alone, probably nearer to £1500 for the 22mm version (the biggest one they do, for a 100mm connection [for common water supplies in large blocks of flats, hotels and offices] costs £10k).

They do the job, like an ioniser for the water, in keeping the limescale particles in suspension, and by and large, they do a good job, particularly on surfaces always covered in water and not open to the air (e.g. HXes and hot water cylinders), less so on kettles and shower heads as the water left on the outlet will (especially if its not used constantly) evaporate off, leaving some limescale residue. Note that some 'pretenders to the throne' (in my view) make similar looking products and retail them far more cheaply, but as mostly the same as the 'wound wire' type but with more coils [they can get VERY hot, far more than the HyrdoMAG).

Its a shame that Hydrotec (who manufacture the HydroMAG) don't retail them for less, as very few of the smaller size units are ever specified by engineers like myself or housebuilders just because they are not cost-effective (often cheaper just to buy a salt-using water softener [HW cold feed circuit only] @ about £300 - £500 [plus salt], or replace a boiler HX and shower head every 5-10 years or refurbish a HW cylinder [as necessary] and use those supermaket kettle descalers than pay £1-2k for the HydroMAG or pay for a (in my view) worthless type 1 permanent magnet unit that does very little (the favourite of house builders). I'd buy one (and either take it with me if I moved, or add the fitted cost to the selling price [no moving parts, so they last 25+ years]) in a heartbeat if they dropped the price of the 22mm unit to £500 or less.

Note that I'm in no way personally connected to Hydrotec - its just during my professional career, I've seen what's on the market, specified various types (some 'tested' in action on real sites) and found most to be wanting except that one. I haven't specified many salt-based water softeners, only a few commercial grade ones for hotels which wanted a nice 'soft' feel (their words) to the hot water coming out of showers and for wash basins and which can lather up better. The EM units aren't as good in that respect as they are primarily designed to protect heat transfer coils and suchlike.

Be always wary of wording of warranty extensions, as they may not cover HXes on boilers (or at least not as long as the rest of the boiler), especially if you live in an area with hard water. Some may even put stipulations on such as having anti-scale devices fitted (as explained above) or perhaps additional servicing to help (just a guess). Essentially they are (to me at least) the equivalent of a clutch or tyres on a car - an item that, if used in the right way, can last a good while, but if not and with the right conditions, will last a very short time.

Be careful if you are considering chooisng a less widely used make like Viessmann, as (as has been seen in the industry) some makes can and do pull out of a country if sales aren't that good, especially if plumbers feel its not economic to pay for any specific training to be able to install/maintain a particular make.model of boiler. Prices of parts will inevitably go up steeply from an already higher-than-average level, and as such those plumbers who can work on them often charge higher rates. Note also that some less-than-honourable plumbers may pretend to have the correct knowledge about them, but don't and can make mistakes, which can and has lead to deaths (CO poisoning in particular).

Which Boiler - KB.

All the above noted. Thank you.

Not absolutely sure if the post is actually in reply to my own situation though as the introduction refers to a combi and the bulk of the post is related to mains cold water ... whereas, as I've said a couple of times, mine is a heat only/regular open vent system. Hence no association with mains cold water other than the cold feed to the HW cylinder and filling the system after installation - and I happen to live in a very soft water area.

Regarding warranties, none of the term and conditions I've been reading recently specifically exclude the HX and in some cases the HX gets a longer warranty period than the boiler itself. None that I've seen have indicated a shorter period on the HX. However, maybe you have seen it, in which case let me know so that I can be warned.

Point taken re. smaller volume manufacturers such as ATAG, Intergas and Viessmann ... it was something that was troubling me a bit. Having said that, I gather Ideal came close to major difficulties a few years ago due to the Icos and Isar boilers bringing down their reputation to poor levels and I still see installers referring to that period in their assessments of what boiler to consider and in consequence writing Ideal off their lists of recommendation.

Despite the dubious response on the phone I'm having to reconsider Vaillant as well as Worcester whilst also keeping Ideal Logic Plus in the picture too. The convenient thing with the Vaillant EcoTec 418 regular boiler and also the Ideal Logic Plus regular boiler is the flue can go straight out the back with no elbow above the boiler thus saving room (which in my case would be handy as space is a little tight below and the flue can't go up at all due to an overhanging soffit.). The Worcester has to have the elbow above the boiler hence might get ruled out for that reason alone.

Continued thanks.

Edited by KB. on 06/10/2017 at 18:35

Which Boiler - John F

If I had space for an oil tank I would replace a duff gas boiler with an oil boiler. In the long run oil's been much cheaper and they are easy to service yourself. For safety, gas boilers should have an expensive professional service every year, money which would be better spent on fuel. None seem to last much longer than a few years before they require expensive work to their delicate electronics.

In our last house I inherited an eight yr old Wilson Wallflame oil burner and kept it going for another thirty yrs - in all that time all it needed was cleaning, and a replacement £70 bearing (its single moving part - which I was fortunate to source as long since out of production). The electrics never went wrong.

We now have a much more efficient Grant Vortex Eco - easy to diy service, all it needs is a new nozzle every so often.

Which Boiler - FP

" For safety, gas boilers should have an expensive professional service every year, money which would be better spent on fuel."

Very surprised to read this, John. Very.

I don't have my gas boiler serviced every year. I used to have a service plan with BG and after watching the engineer do little more than vacuum up dust I decided it was a waste of money.

Which Boiler - alan1302

" For safety, gas boilers should have an expensive professional service every year, money which would be better spent on fuel."

Very surprised to read this, John. Very.

I don't have my gas boiler serviced every year. I used to have a service plan with BG and after watching the engineer do little more than vacuum up dust I decided it was a waste of money.

You should certainly get your boiler serviced every year - if only to ensure there is no carbon monoxide leaks anywhere and if you live in rented accomodation it's a legal requirement. No different from anything else it needs looking after properly.

Which Boiler - concrete

A few points here. I agree that 'servicing' modern boilers is little more than a clean out, lubricate and gas and flue check. Hardly mechanical service at the cutting edge! Still needs to be done regularly though and like it or not the Gas Council have a statutory right to the monopoly of who services gas appliances. The cost of registration and regular renewal after that puts off a lot of competant installers. I have witnessed some 'qualified' gas registered fitters who I would not let within a country mile of my house.

As for oil, I think it is a fair point. I am not sure that wallflame boilers are still available but they were simple appliances. The pressure jet is simple too. A high pressure pump forcing diesel through a nozzle to vapourise it and an ingintion system. With a bit of simple kit easy to service and repair. They are a bit noisy though. You pays your money......

Cheers Concrete

A few points here. I agree that 'servicing' modern boilers is little more than a clean out, lubricate and gas and flue check. Hardly mechanical service at the cutting edge! Still needs to be done regularly though and like it or not the Gas Council have a statutory right to the monopoly of who services gas appliances. The cost of registration and regular renewal after that puts off a lot of competant installers. I have witnessed some 'qualified' gas registered fitters who I would not let within a country mile of my house.

Indeed - the original boilers (including my own - still going at 15yo) on the development where I live (new build in 2002-3) are unique Range Powermax (brand bought out by Potterton in the mid 2000s [IMO not their best idea, to say it mildly!]) boilers, which about 95% of plumbers have no clue how they work, and need special training to be able to properly service and maintain them (not a requirement, just very worthwhile!), so most who don't have this training actually refuse to get involved with servicing and maintenance.

The problem with these boilers (they act like a combi but use a water-based thermal store to avoid higher instantaneous gas loads of combis and give hot water flow rates akin to systems with DHW cylinders without having to meet regulations concerning them and for a smaller overall footprint for the boiler+cylinder) is that they are so unusual (unique in their operation), even though when they're working they do a very good job (and are about 84% efficient, not bad for a non-condensing boiler designed in the 1990s), servicing and maintenance, even when carried out by trained people, is very difficult at best (often you have to break components to get to others that require checking/replacement during the service) and is expensive as a result (a proper service could cost £150+). What often happens is that plumbers, even qualified on these boilers, recommend they just be 'inspected' yearly and only do anything when they break down.

The reason for this is that when untrained staff (in the case I state, from one of the big 6 utility firms) 'service' them, there is a risk that components that, when removed for inspection, such as gaskets, will not fully reseal on refitting, and in one case led to the home owner being killed by carbon monoxide poisoning from a damaged refitted flue seal. This is the SOLE reason why, about 4 years ago, every boiler in the country (even old ones installed before the legilation originally changed in 2006/7) with a flue running indoors in void spaces had to be retrofitted with access panels along the route of the flue so that it could be inspected for leaks at each joint. Needless to say, the utility firm got prosecuted (quietly, to ensure 'confidence' wasn't eroded) by the HSE for the incompetence of the operatives (they were found guilty as I understand).

Some residents got so fed up with these boilers (not only are they expensive to service, but because they are unique in design [good concept, badly executed in my view - I wish I'd known about these before I bought my flat!], parts are horrendously expensive and now hard to come by, as well as the difficulty in finding a competent plumber who is willing to work on them) because of their unique design traits, they are also not very reliable and have inherrant design flaws, other than those already mentioned, such as a tendancy to glog up with gunk, trapping air (the AAV on the boiler easily clogs up and becomes useless after 3-5 years) which cannot be easily removed if you live in a one-storey home (the boiler is often the high point in the system) and when this worsens, the boiler stops working on low system pressure.

Topping up is a stop-gap measure, as it just temporarily moves the air from the sensor but actually increases the system pressure, putting a great strain (if done multiple times) on the expansion vessel, which then breaks, requiring replacement. Essentially the result is that the boiler lets by steam until the expansion vessel is replaced, but the AAV and often the safety discharge valve (all located at the top of the boiler, next to the pressure sensor - why it cause the problem in the first place) have to be replaced at a cost of ~£300 or so. Other components also fail more often than on other boilers, such as the inbuilt timer (£125+ just to buy, let alone fit, and breaks after 3-6 years IMO due to insufficient heat shielding) and water flow sensor (£150 to buy - can fail at any time after 5yo resulting in sudden loss of hot water temperature [not nice if you're in the shower at the time!]).

They're like running an old banger German car that used to be a flashy barge - great when working; an absolute pig to fix that may break the bank when it goes wrong!

Needless to say, my next boiler will be from a make renowned for reliability and ease of maintenance. Unfortunately, the location of the unit (middle of the flat, not near an outside wall or drain [the existing one isn't a condesning boiler, so only has a safety discharge to outside onto the wall, not allowed for condensate drains]) and lack of drainage in the vicinity means I'll have to spend best part of £2500 - £3000 getting a replacement installed in the next few years (I'm lucky mine has lasted 15 years) with the extra fluing, bulkheads/access panels and pumped condensate to my main drain downpipe in the bathroom.

If you ever look at a home with a Range Powermax (not to be confused with the newer Potterton-designed [and labelled] Powermax unit, which is essentially a system boiler + DHW cylinder in one case and is not the same design, though still IMO not a good boiler in comparison to the best standard boilers on the market today), check the asking price against similar homes with 'standard' boilers - if its the same/very similar (within £500), then demand a reduction in price of £2k for a flat and £3k for a house if the boiler is not within 0.5m of an outside wall (capable of have a flue - check with a plumber if a replacement is viable there) and within easy reach (without the need for a [sometimes noisy] condesnsate pump being fitted) because its very likely that you'll have to either spend a small fortune on repairs sooner rather than later or a replacement with a condensing boiler, which for the reasons I stated above, may be very expensive if its not in a convenient place.

Which Boiler - concrete

Hard luck Andy. Fingers crossed your unit stays in good order. We shied away from these boilers and systems when I ran our Mech Services Dept. Too complicated by half. We always worked on the KISS principle. Better for us and better for the customer paying future bills. The beauty of the combi, for a property like yours is they can be sited just about anywhere. Your centre site is not insurmountable, especially if you have timber floors. The condensate must terminate into a drain, which is usually connected to the sewer system. The outflow of condensate is very acidic and will corode brickwork and roof tiles if allowed to flow over them.(which is illegal btw) The flue of course is fanned and is capable of being extended to 3 metres. Usually easier to resite the boiler and move the service pipework to suit. Best of luck.

Cheers Concrete

Hard luck Andy. Fingers crossed your unit stays in good order. We shied away from these boilers and systems when I ran our Mech Services Dept. Too complicated by half. We always worked on the KISS principle. Better for us and better for the customer paying future bills. The beauty of the combi, for a property like yours is they can be sited just about anywhere. Your centre site is not insurmountable, especially if you have timber floors. The condensate must terminate into a drain, which is usually connected to the sewer system. The outflow of condensate is very acidic and will corode brickwork and roof tiles if allowed to flow over them.(which is illegal btw) The flue of course is fanned and is capable of being extended to 3 metres. Usually easier to resite the boiler and move the service pipework to suit. Best of luck.

Cheers Concrete

Even more hard luck given I'm a Senior Mechanical Building Services Engineer, though at the time I moved to my current home I was a grade below and had never come across these boilers before (the flat was very nice other than that and far better than the rest I looked at, so I bought it - still a reasonable decision, even factoring in my boo-boo), and mainly designed commercial heating systems up until then.

Anyhoo, I've read up extensively on this type of boiler (I often know as much as the plumber when it goes wrong [3 times in 12.5 years of ownership, plus once for the previous residents in 3.5]) and visually inspect it myself, plus I ask the plumber to give it the once over as and when something breaks. To be on the safe side, I have a CO detector nearby.

The problem with replacing mine is that the flat isn't that large, and the only alternative location for a boiler (combis are the only option as there's no space for a DHW cylinder) is above the k*itchen sink, which handily is next to a usable external wall and the waste stack.

The problem I have is that the k****** is tiny (2.5m x 1.5m) and locating in there would reduce the already low storage space, and require re-routing of the DHW and HTG pipework back to the existing boiler location because it runs hidden in the floor (concrete) and plasterboard stud walls and ceiling voids. Similar with the gas, which comes in from the other side of the building in the wall (not vented), which would have to be extended to the new location. Only the condensate and safety valve discharge pipes would be short, going into the bathroom waste SVP the other side of the wall.

My (elderly) neighbours have had their new boiler installed this way, but it didn't matter to them as they got it done free by HMG, though the condensate drain pees onto the back communal garden area, which isn't really allowed for the same reasons you said, though its not so bad now as we've had stones put down as the grass never grew very well along the back as there's a 2m high fence [to the next door office car park] about 0.8m away from the building, blocking much of sunlight. Both our flats are on the GF.

I'd personally rather use the existing location (1m x 1m x 2.5m H) and have a new flue installed (same route as the old pair - I think a 60/100 system would just about fit in the existing ceiling void and for a 3m run [most have a max. nowadays of 8-10m minus bends allowances] with a couple of bends) along that of the existing one (I would have to pay about £300 to the freeholder [and wait ages - my neighbour had a broken boiler for 3 months with no DWH when waiting for the ok] to 'get permission' to make a new hole for the flue if I sited it in a different location!) with a small pumped condensate line and SV discharge [via some device that looks like a 'potty'] through the k****** to the SVP - less piping than the other location to worry about and it keeps the space in the k*itchen I need and gain a bit in the boiler cupboard as the new one would be half the size of the Powermax.

I'm rather 'boxed in' to two working designs, but one more useful than the other. Both aren't cheap due to the pipework and/or flue extensions. No other flue locations possible as only front and back outside walls, and we're not allowed to run them to the front (planning). It also happens that the lowest dropped ceilings are in the k*itchen and small strip across the hall between the boiler cupboard and the k*itchen, so less carpentry required if I keep the same general config as before, jsut with the two new pipes.

Still, I suspect it'll come in at around £2.5k - £3k if I go with a higher kW rated Vaillant or Worcester boiler (I'm looking for one that can sustain DHW to a standard shower @ 9 l/min and 6 l/min to the HW feed to my washing machine, plus fancy controls - not sure whether they still do an external temp sensor and if that's even worth having on a domestic system with the latest 'learning' boilers), which by themselves are probably £1300 - £1500 as a guess (haven't looked them up in a while - I've jacked in my career 9 months ago [fed up with the BS and lies] and am a bit rusty [bumming around at home thinking what I can do next that I might like]).

As long as my current boiler doesn't go kaput (permanently) in the winter (that's normally when its broken down before, not really a surprise as its in use so much at this time), then I can plan a bit for its demise for the replacement unit etc. In one way its a shame I'm not still working in the Industry, as I might've been able to secure a small discount by buttering up my local rep (I got £50 off a replacement timer unit for the existing one when it failed a few years ago - probably because I'd just been on a day course/sale pitch for their 'new' [at the time] Baxi [sister fim to Potteron] Micro CHP unit for the home and was shown around the sales office, with a Powermax on display!).

All this because the flat [layout] and heating system was poorly chosen and designed. No wonder housing in this country is so expensive - we're forever fixing mistakes of the original designers/installers (often under severe time/financial pressures as I'm sure you're aware) and architects (most of whom I don't have much time for). Its one of the reasons why I've jacked it in (I'm a bit of a perfectionist and the industry just doesn't suit my slower work rate but higher quality output). At least I'm far more aware of issue like mine for the future, which is something I suppose.

Nice to see there some fellow Construction Industry/Building Services engineers in the forum, to converse about issues other than cars. I think it would be quite useful to have a forum for us lot to get information/issues discussed like this to the whole industry - many people (especially the latest generation of graduates and less experienced engineers who rely WAY too much on computers and not enough on common sense and brain power) just don't have a clue about so much that goes on these days, which is why so many problems arise I believe.

Just me and my 'negative waves' again. Sorry.

Which Boiler - concrete

Quite understand the difficulties. In my last house the boiler was sited inside and the flue went up 400mm into a ceiling void, then a 90 bend and then a straight run to the exterior wall. Went in very with the required fall to the outlet. Worked a treat, no problems. The drain and safety pressure outlet had to go through a bedromm under the floorboards. Bit of job but got there in the end to discharge into a downcomer. If your neighbours have this done you may be able to get some ideas by looking at their installation. With a modern core drill the flue can be easily drilled and the exterior sealing gasket means no patching up. The main obstacle I see is getting the right installer who can tackle an out of the ordinary job in his stride. If you ever work on site you may be able to watch some of these guys in action and see what they say about your job. I live in Kent and if you are nearby I would gladly inspect the job with you to find the best way to proceed. Buying materials these days is easy and there are some bargains about too. The installer is the key. Best of luck. I am off to Spain next week for 8 weeks so won't be available for comment after next week until mid March. Cheers Concrete

Which Boiler - skidpan

Our old house (semi built 1932) was about 1000 ft sq and had 9 radiators. The boiler was a Glow Worm back boiler we had fitted in 1997. It was 100% reliable until 2003 when the seals in the heat exchanger failed but luckilly the maintenance contract replaced the part for free. On average it used about 1500m3 of gas a year.

The new house (detached bungalow built 1955) was about 1000 ft sq originally and the boiler that was fitted was a 2003 Glow Worm wall mounted thingy heating 9 radiators and using 1880 m3 in the previous year according to the info we got. Surprised that it was using more gas but the people were probably using higher temps.

We added a 600 ft sq loft conversion and conservatory which mean't the boiler was way too small. So a new Vaillant combi was fitted which is heating 12 radiators and during the first year we were there used 1120 m3 of gas. This year usage is up about 60 m3, probably because its been a colder winter so far.

The property is far warmer than our old house (especially the upstairs which is built to current regs) but I am still stunned that we are not only using less gas to heat a bigger area than the previous people we are also using less gas than we did at the old house.

More than satisfied.

Which Boiler - Marcus T.

My mate is a British Gas Engineer, He has a Worcester bosch boiler at home and he says that every gas Engineer he knows also has one. That says enough for me. I have an old Ideal classic boiler and when it is no longer usable then i will get a worcester bosch.

Finally couple of years ago we decided to have a new boiler, prompted by ever higher gas bills, spoke to my boiler man (all he does is gas boilers/fitting/maintenance) and he fits lots of Ideal combis and has little if any trouble, he's proved himself reliable and economical for us so took his word for it.

Total cost £1350 supplied and fitted, despite the long run of our bungalow the boiler supplies all the hot water we need and the central heating is toasty warm in half the time the old boiler managed, over the last 2+ years the gas bills have dropped enough that it will have paid for itself in about 3 years in gas savings alone.

BG quoted us well over £4k for a worcester bosch, but if we signed on the day (facepalm) we could have it for about £3.5k.

So if we get 5 years out of this Ideal and another £1350 puts another new one in, i'm none too sure an extra 2x the price for my boiler man to fit a WB unit would have been any better value, any time over 5 years and i'll be more than happy with the same deal again.

Finally couple of years ago we decided to have a new boiler, prompted by ever higher gas bills, spoke to my boiler man (all he does is gas boilers/fitting/maintenance) and he fits lots of Ideal combis and has little if any trouble, he's proved himself reliable and economical for us so took his word for it.

Total cost £1350 supplied and fitted, despite the long run of our bungalow the boiler supplies all the hot water we need and the central heating is toasty warm in half the time the old boiler managed, over the last 2+ years the gas bills have dropped enough that it will have paid for itself in about 3 years in gas savings alone.

BG quoted us well over £4k for a worcester bosch, but if we signed on the day (facepalm) we could have it for about £3.5k.

So if we get 5 years out of this Ideal and another £1350 puts another new one in, i'm none too sure an extra 2x the price for my boiler man to fit a WB unit would have been any better value, any time over 5 years and i'll be more than happy with the same deal again.

From my (limited) experience in specifying combis in my job, and especially from speaking to installers from contractors, Ideal are (in their opinion as I heard it) essentially 'middle of the road' in terms of product quality. A bit like with cars these days, if you keep it simple (as possible) on boilers, then they are less likely to go wrong.

The combi technology generally is quite mature now, and I find its the complex, 'flashy' components that might add some nice feature (or that are part of non-standard designs to accomplish this) at the expense of longer-term reliability, and significantly ups the cost of repairs.

As regards Ideal generally, they seemed 'ok', though many people who own (non-condensing, old-style) Ideal 'Mexico' boilers (as my parents do) say these are quite reliable units.

A difference in price between £1350 and £3.5k - £4k fitted for two boiler installations that (reliability aside) won't be that much different is, in my opinion, wholy extorionate. If the lower quote is right and you're not needing long flue runs enclosed in boxings or ceilings (normally what bumps up the price a lot [as it will on my replacement system]), then I would expect a premium brand boiler installation to come in at about £1500 - £1700 tops. £1350 for the ideal unit sounds like its their cheapest, lowest output model and not much fluing.

Note that the warranty for the boiler would be contingent upon a new flue being installed and not making use of existing flue pipes (which would invalidate the warranty).

My new installation (whenever that comes) will likely cost of the order of £2.5 - £3k, as, in addition to the combi boiler (I'll probably go with a Worcester unit), I'll need about 3-5m worth of flue run (including bends), removal of the old flue run and making good one of the two holes in the external wall and making the other larger (one for air in, the other exhaist gases out on the existing twin pipe system), and taking down and rebuilding the hallway and k****** ceiling to suit the (much larger) concentric flue and to run a new pumped condensate pipe to the waste stack.

Boiler cost - est. about £1300 to £1500 (higher DHW output model so I can have a shower at the same time as the [hot fill] washing machine is going) but the installation of the extra bits will bump the costs way over the normal boiler + 50% cost, probably nearer to 2x the cost in total.

Which Boiler - Octane

We are in a 1935 solid wall detached bungalow approx 1000 sq ft. Our Ideal Mexico Slimline CF55 was installed in 1985 and has a brush and vacuum out each year and has not required any replacement parts. The cylinder has an electrical thermostat which stops cycling and I believe this essential for long life. We have consumed 566 Mwh since installation. My spreadsheet shows no obvious relationship between its age and energy consumption. During a recent energy survey conducted in our area the man with the clipboard singled out the boiler and advised on fitting a more efficient sealed combi. As he left he added if it was his he would keep the Mexico going as long as he could.

We are in a 1935 solid wall detached bungalow approx 1000 sq ft. Our Ideal Mexico Slimline CF55 was installed in 1985 and has a brush and vacuum out each year and has not required any replacement parts. The cylinder has an electrical thermostat which stops cycling and I believe this essential for long life. We have consumed 566 Mwh since installation. My spreadsheet shows no obvious relationship between its age and energy consumption. During a recent energy survey conducted in our area the man with the clipboard singled out the boiler and advised on fitting a more efficient sealed combi. As he left he added if it was his he would keep the Mexico going as long as he could.

I agree - old boilers are only ever worth changing to a new one if:

• Replacement parts are required often, are hard to come by and as a consequence vastly more expensive (even after factoring in inflation) than in years gone by;
  • The boiler regularly breaks down due to parts of the boiler that are difficult to get to/replace being unreliable;
  • The downtime/disruption caused by failures and the time to source and fit new parts is excessive and costly (e.g. having to use electrical heating/hot water heating, or having to move into a hotel);
  • The cost of fitting a new boiler and ancillaries is less than keeping the old one running (fuel bills plus cost of replacement parts/labour and emergency measures when it breaks down) over a 15 year period, factoring in similar reliability issues and new parts for a new boiler as that ages.

If the existing boiler is reasonably reliable and not less than 60% efficient and is safe, then the extra costs of running and maintaining it are miles less than buying and fitting a new one. Just like a car, only people don't buy boilers to show off to others.

My existing boiler (as explained in earlier posts) will soon fit that 'change' crtiteria, as parts are increasingly hard to fin and are about double the price of ones for newer boilers, but, at present (fingers crossed), its still doing ok with one of two 'known' issues which I'll have fixed before the autumn for £200 - £350.

This should get me (hopefully) another 3-5 years out of the unit, far less than spending £2.5k - £3k buying and fitting a new one in a difficult location that might save me £50 - £100 a year on gas bills and £200 every 3 or 4 years on extra maintenance, at least for the first 10 years.

Which Boiler - concrete

That the way Octane. Keep the Mexico in good order and it should still be al least 80% efficient when the burner is set up correctly. Cylinder thermostats work like room thermostats and keep the how water at a constant temperature when the system is feeding the hot water storage system. For more efficiency replace or apply more lagging to the cylinder. Also extra in the loft and other areas never comes amiss.

Cheers Concrete

Which Boiler - bintang

My boiler man decries B&Q own brand boiler. It seems it has a bad reputation in the trade as being very hard to service (although cheap to buy).

Incidentally, he converted my old Potterton Kingfisher to run heating and hot water separately if one of them is not reqired and this seems to have been beneficial in terms of gas consumption.

Which Boiler - sammy1

As this thread is wondering a bit perhaps someone can help me with some technical info.

I have an old Ravenheat 820 which has given great service over 23years! At the end of the winter it began playing up with the pilot light going out. Renewed the thermocouple,high temp stat and new pilot jet. Now in summer on hot water only problem persists, the pilot light goes off every now and then. My conclusion is that the safety Hot water stat is doing its job every now and then. This as stated has been renewed. I have decided to renew the hot water thermostat as a last resort to try to solve the problem Do any engineers out there think this is a reasonable assumption?Boiler is still in v.good condition and seems a pity to condemn it to the scap heap because plumber failed to diagnose the fault The pilot light can die hours or even days after the boiler has shut down, never in operation!

Which Boiler - KB.

Another thread resurrection. Just to see if anyone has had any updated installation and/or maintenance experience they might want to share..

I'ave detailed my own circumstances above and little has changed 18 months on except I fitted a new Grundfos pump and topped up the additive again (there must be shedloads of the stuff in there - but it keeps things sweet). The Spirovent magnetic filter does remove a bit of black gunge when I clean it out - but nothing terrible.

In preparation for the possibility of having to replace the boiler at short notice (it's now 23 yrs old) I've sorted where to run the condensate discharge and have run a supplementary cable from boiler to pump to provide a pump over-run wire.

BUT I still can't decide what to replace it with.

I still want a regular (heat only) open vent 18kw boiler but would still like a stainless heat exchanger, but most are aluminium. The Ideal Vogue is stainless but it's a system boiler and I don't want to pressurise my 23 year old heating circuit. The Logic Plus is aluminium. The Vaillant and Worcesters heat only boilers are aluminium. The Intergas and Viessmann ARE stainless but the rarity value of them plus the scarcity of installers locally plus concern about spares puts me off.

I've trawled the heating forums and for every fitter who favours the Vaillant or the Worcester there's someone else who wouldn't fit them for any one of a dozen reasons.

Ideal are still suffering from the hangover of duff boilers from 20 years ago - but my mate is a fan of Ideal (he's accredited so gets points for every one fitted so he would say that wouldn't he?) ... but he's local and can sort problems out - and has done in years gone by.

Such a pity Ideal don't do stainless heat exchangers.

Any thoughts from clued up individuals welcome - ta.

Which Boiler - Avant

Ours - new in early 2018 - is a Grant, recommended by Ford Fuel Oils who installed it. All well and it uses less oil than the old one.

Apparently engineers like Grant boilers as they are reliable, and easier to service than Worcester-Bosch.

Which Boiler - Oli rag

We had a Viessmann vitodens 100 boiler which came with a 5 year warranty. During this time it had a fault where it refused to start and would take out the spark generator circuit board. They made lots of visits to try and fix and then seemed to run out of new parts to try as well as new ideas.

I managed to fix it myself by finding out that the condensate drain was frozen and i managed to thaw it out and lag it successfully. The boiler itself only lasted around 8 years till it had various problems, including a blocked heat exchanger which refused to unblocked and was deemed beyond economical repair.

For the last 4 years we have had a worcester bosch, which up till now has been fine. It came with a 7 year warranty and has to be serviced every year to keep that going. I suppose if you take into account the service cost ( £75 + vat ) each year, i could afford to replace it at the end of its life rather than having had it serviced, but as it sits in the airing cupboard in our bedroom I think the annual service is a good investment, to avoid any safety problems.

Our Ideal combi which was fitted in Oct 2015 is still going strong, has only needed its annual service and clean out so far.

As i said before, if it packed up now it will have more than paid for itself in reduced bills, and we would happily have the same again.

Just looked at the paperwork, apparently its running 20kw on heating and 24kw for hot water, it has no trouble keeping up with the shower.

Which Boiler - primus 1
We’ve just had our viessman, boiler repaired, the pressure vessel, failed, and had to be replaced, this is the second time in five years that this had to be replaced, two or three years ago the controller failed and had to be replaced, although we had a Honeywell one fitted and this works better, despite all this, I still think these are good boilers, everyone says Worcester Bosch are the best, but a few heating engineers say not, although they’re a bit like cars, I suppose, you get good and bad..
Which Boiler - KB.

I'm really grateful for the additional info promptly offered .... muchappreciated.

The Grant name is one I only very recently started to hear. Further reading inspired there.

My aversion to Viessmann for the reasons noted earlier is further reinforced by the comments here... the problem with the HEX is noted with much interest given that it's the presence of a stainless HEX that would have been of most interest.

I still keep seeing people say that that Worcester and Vaillant are the BMW or Mercedes of the boiler world but I also keep seeing that they have their problems and their detractors.

Again I say ta for the extra food for thought.

I suspect some plumbers don't like Worcester Bosch boilers precisely because they are the most reliable on the market - less work for them down the road. Just like some mechanics and the most reliable Japanese cars, like Toyotas - aside from normal servicing and occasional wear and tear replacements, not much interesting (and financially lucrative) work to do.

And with the boilers, unlike with cars, plumbers have to compete on price for servicing, because most plumbers are trained up on servicing most boiler makes and units.

The problem with the Viessmann boilers is more about a general lack of skills amongst plumbers to install and maintain them correctly - yes, all makes will suffer from some degree of in-warranty failures, but sometimes certain components fail becuase they were installed incorrectly (not saying yours was), as some of my neighbours have been recently finding out.

Taking reliability and plumber expertise into account, I'd rank my list in this order for gas-fired domestic boilers:

Worcester Bosch;

Vaillant;

Viessman;

Ideal. Note that Ideal have recently taken over Keston, though I'm not a fan of theirs, especially when I found out of (IMHO) serious, safety-related design flaws in some of their boilers, particularly the ones that replace my (near end-of-life) Range Powermax twin flue boiler on a like-for-like basis.

The best thing for getting good service from a boiler is being able to find a really decent quality and honest plumber. Local independents are far better than most of those solely working for the Utility firms (especially as many of them can only select from a limited number of makes of boiler).

Which Boiler - FP

"They made lots of visits to try and fix and then seemed to run out of new parts to try as well as new ideas."

Outrageous. My understanding is that this is one of the most common causes of breakdown, and it is the result of incompetent installation. A wide diameter condensate pipe must be used if it goes directly out of the building and is therefore exposed to frost. Lagging is a less-than-elegant fix.

When our boiler was replaced (with a Vaillant) a few years back, I insisted the (narrow) drain pipe ran internally to join the waste from the downstairs loo's washbasin.

Another common problem with main-pressurised systems is that the expansion chamber within the boiler case is simply too small (and therefore has to work too hard) to cope; when ours failed, we were advised to fit a separate expansion vessel near the boiler, which fortunately is in the garage, with plenty of room.

Edited by FP on 07/04/2019 at 12:02

Exactly - you're also only allowed a maximum of 3m worth of external (or running in an unheated space) condensate pipe - something a neighbour's plumber conveniently forgot recently before I reminded him of that (amongst other things he wasn't allowed to do) - he even forgot to check that the existing Powermax didn't have a condensate and thus tried a quick fix and had to change to a pumped system, because there was no drain nearby and no suitable external point to discharge it to.

I saw another one on a different block run a unlagged (frost protected) external condensate drain for over 6m and into a communal rainwater pipe via their next-door-neighbour's condensate drain - absoluate class! Technicall both need to be ripped out and have pumped condensates routed to their own internal waste pipes/SVPs. Another home owner's plumber routed the (long) condensate through the ground into a public road rainwater drain. Facepalm time!

I still find it amazing to this day how a tiny 10-12L internal expansion vessel can be suitable for a 4-bed house when my flat needs (and has) an 18L external (to the boiler) one - admitedly this is because mine has a Powermax with an 80L thermal store. Don't these plumbers go on courses?

Which Boiler - KB.

Re. "Grant" boilers (as mentioned by Avant), it seems they specialise in oil ... I have gas.

Which Boiler - Avant

Yes, sorry - ours is indeed oil-fired. No gas in the village.

Which Boiler - FiestaOwner

I have a Worcester Bosch CDI Combi Boiler, fitted 10 years ago. The wireless programmable thermostat (a worcester bosch part, with the receiver inside the boiler casing) failed when the system was a year old. I had that replaced with a wired Honeywell CM907 programmable thermostat which has worked perfectly.

The boiler itself has worked perfectly throughout the past 10 years.

WB may not be the best boiler make, but they probably have the best overall package:

1) Reasonably good boilers

2) Large network of independent installers

3) Good availability of spares

4) You can get WB themselves to do servicing and repairs

With WB you get a longer warranty if you use one of their accredited installers.

I would also recommend a programmable room thermostat (I like the Honeywell CM907), which lets you set different temperatures throughout the day. Mine is programmed to let the temperature drop by 3 degrees overnight.

It won't matter what make of boiler you get, if you don't get a good installer. Bad fitting probably causes the most problems.

Which Boiler - KB.

All above noted with many thanks.

(I do have a CM901 fitted (just a "one day" version of the CM907) and, yes, it's all I need to control temp. and times.

I've given up hope of having a stainless steel heat exchanger - Viessmann have them but I've decided not to use them for reasons given above.

I've still not discounted Worcester or Ideal. If it were to be a Worcester it would be fitted by a local, Worcester approved, firm who aren't cheap but have a good reputation - if an Ideal Logic Plus conventional heat only boiler I'd get my regular, Gas Safe bloke to fit it. Both are local to me but the fella who I use now would be cheaper and I can get hold of him at short notice and he'll pop round.... and his annual service would be cheaper too.

I'm just not convinced that the diffeence in reliability or longevity between Vaillant, Worcester and Ideal is as great as is perceived.

Which Boiler - Leif
It certainly used to be the case that if you used an approved Worcester installer, you got a longer warranty. I’ve had my WB for eight years, the mechanical timer failed after a year or two and was replaced under warranty, a known fault. I was told it should last 15 years until the heat exchanger goes. Not sure if WB are the best, but they are certainly decent. Sadly modern boilers do not last as long as old ones did.
Which Boiler - KB.

^^^ Ta.

I did happen to ring Ideal today ... primarily to (try to) make an enquiry about inhibitors - they specifically recommend/approve four products - their literature says ..... If water treatment is used Ideal Boilers recommend only the use of Scalemaster Gold 100, FERNOX, MB-1, ADEY MC1, SENTINEL-X100, CALMAG CM100 inhibitors but also, somewhat ambiguously, they say ..... and associated water treatment products, which must be used in accordance with the manufacturers’ instructions.

I just wanted to know what the last sentence meant - does it mean I can use any BuildCert certified inhibitor or scale treatment or cleaner??? But no-one could answer - they just referred me to my installer. I guess all the manufacturers might say the same?

But whilst the bloke was on the phone I asked if Ideal use Domestic & General or Homeserve - the answer was ... yes, they say they use them to administer aftermarket warranties and the bloke said if you press the appropriate (wrong) key on the phone menu you could (inadvertantly) finish up logging your details with them and they can then bombard you with offers for this, that and the other - they're famous for it. But the bloke did say that if you need a warranty callout they almost always use a directly employed Ideal engineer but reserve the right to use a contractor or even a Homeserve appointerd engineer ( the latter two especially in remote areas or somewhere like the Isle of Wight apparently).

Overall I was mostly reassured by the bloke's attitude.

If you buy an Ideal Max boiler (the one that comes with their own magnetic filter in the box) you get an Ideal backed 10 year warranty (with no input from Homeserve apparently) .

This combined with the option of a rear flue, direct out the back of the boiler and straight out the wall, as opposed to the flue coming out of the top of the boiler then angled back out through the wall, has created a bit more enthusiasm for them. (A direct rear flue does help with the, slightly restricted, siting of the boiler in my garage).

Further thanks for the food for thought kindly offered here. I'll happily read anything else.

It certainly used to be the case that if you used an approved Worcester installer, you got a longer warranty. I’ve had my WB for eight years, the mechanical timer failed after a year or two and was replaced under warranty, a known fault. I was told it should last 15 years until the heat exchanger goes. Not sure if WB are the best, but they are certainly decent. Sadly modern boilers do not last as long as old ones did.

Like cars, they are made with an in-built shelf life to keep the £££ rolling in. Often, it's the rising price of parts after the boiler is 10yo that kills them off - combis are far more susceptible to scale-related issues than system or heat-only boilers, and also, unlike 'old style' boilers, which had plenty of scope inside to install non-OEM parts, modern wall-mounted boilers don't so much.

Some parts can be changed out (like the pump) for alternative makes' units, but many are solely made for that boiler or certain groups and don't work or fit in the casing if you go for a generic - especially expensive components like controls and sensors (anything with a PCB), as well as the HX itself. Given their compact nature (again, like modern car engine bays), the replacement of some parts takes ages and thus far more in labour than is often economic.

The situation is rather like the change from desktop PCs to laptops and tablets/smart phones - a well specced and built desktop takes up more room, but easily outlasts and outperforms the others, often by a factor of 2 or 3. People buy them for convenience, but on that basis pay far more over a 10-15 year period.

As regards boilers, if I had free reign (which I currently don't) on my next boiler purchase, I'd go for either a system or heat only unit, even though the overall system is a few percentage points less efficient than a combi, preferably a floor-mounted unit as well, located in a proper utility room. Far better than in a kitchen or hallway cupboard - noting that mine will cost an extra £500 - £1k to replace because of it's location.

A combi will last, on average, about 15 years, with those from naff makes only about 10 and better ones 20. Essentially double that for the 'old school' types of boiler system, more if you really look after them.

Which Boiler - Chris M

Another vote for WB. Ours is a regular boiler fitted in 2010 when the scrappage scheme was running. Apart from a service (by the local chap who fitted it) at about 18 month intervals it hasn't required attention. If it was to go wrong I'm pretty sure spares would be easy to get and any fitter would know how to fix it - a bit like a Ford Focus.

Which Boiler - concrete

WB for me too. Ours has been very good so far at 7 years. I wouldn't rule out Viessman though. Some boilers offer the facility of a rear flue outlet or a top outlet to suit your needs, but this needs checking before you buy to see if the model you want has this facility. With a boiler change I would recommend a filter, if one not already fitted and new inhibitor when refilling the system. Keeps things running smoothly. Regarding the efficacy of various products, they should be passed fit for use by the Water Council or take the recommendation of your boiler manufacturer.

Cheers Concrete

I would've had Vaillant as my top selection had their reliability not dropped over the past few years - they used to be as good as Worcester Bosch and were more liked by plumbers because they were easier to install and maintain - as well as simpler to use than the WBs. I always specified them for housing projects for that reason.

Admitedly I haven't done one of those projects for about 5 years now, hence why I was saddened to find out Vaillant had been suffering quality issues of late. They are still better than the mid-table brands, but not as good as WB. My experience with Viessmann has really only been on the larger commercial side - good quality, not much expertise on installations around, quite expensive and not as user-friendly as other makes. I assumed (including from my own research) that they would be similar on the domestic side.

Normally if a make will give long warranties (some of these 8-10 years if you use an accredited plumberr, not sure if the HX is included for quite that long) that normally means it'll be decent. Like with cars, increasingly the problems are electronics-related.

Which Boiler - sammy1

My heating engineer is advising installing a Worcester combi but installing a hot tank with the system to run 2 showers. Has anyone have any experience of such a system?

Which Boiler - concrete

My heating engineer is advising installing a Worcester combi but installing a hot tank with the system to run 2 showers. Has anyone have any experience of such a system?

Yes, I had a Viessmann combi which ran the shower and basin in our loft conversion from the combi domestic hot water outlet. It also fed a small high heat recovery cylinder for water storage for the main shower, basin, kitchen utility etc. We simply teed off the heating flow and return directly below the boiler and treated the cylinder as another radiator effectively. We also put in a separate time clock for the small cylinder with a motorised valve operated through a cylinder thermostat. This would bring on the boiler to heat the cylinder separately from the heating. In summer for instance where we needed hot water storage but not heating. The house radiators had their own time clock, motorised valve and room thermostat. Both could be on at once or separately for convenience. Takes a bit of wiring with a 10 way junction box but quite simple really. Worked a treat for the 10 years before we moved and still going strong I would imagine.

Cheers Concrete

Technically, some high output combis can be used on their own (without any other cylinders) to provide enough DHW for 2 showers - they use one or two small thermal storage cylinders strapped to the back of the boiler, acting in a similar capacity to the 80L thermal store on my 'old' Powermax boiler.

Trouble is, the DHW output barely covers two showers, which means anyone using hot water elsewhere (sink, WHB or washing machine), or if at least one of the showers is a high output 'drench' shower (anything higher the 9L/min), then it won't be enough.

When I was specifiying combi boilers for homes, I always went one unit up the range more than the manufacturer recommended (where possible), so that there was always sufficient DHW for the whole property. Unfortunately, most modern properties are not large enough to accommodate a boiler+cylinder (especially a larger HW cylinder), thanks to our architect 'friends' and the developers.

Which Boiler - KB.

"!Unfortunately, most modern properties are not large enough to accommodate a boiler+cylinder (especially a larger HW cylinder), thanks to our architect 'friends' and the developers."

I honestly can't say what developers around the country install in their new properties. Certainly, locally - on a new development they've gone for simple wall mounted boilers in conjunction with unvented cylindrers in their own little cupboard on the first floor. The boiler is thoroughly basic but the unvented cylinder is certainly not something you'd want to tinker with.

Presumably the builder considered combi boilers but decided against them.

In my previous house ( it was a new build on a small development in 2005) the builders opted for Potterton Heatmax on the ground floor in the middle of the house with the flue going up to the the void between ground floor ceiling and first flor floorboards then across to the outside (a LONG run), Those who know about these things will know the Heatmax wasn't popular and there were cases of condensate rotting the flue and causing gases to discharge into the house (there was a well publicised death in similar circumstances). We had water tipping out from the flue and a neighbour discovered (after many, many months) that the installers hadn't connected the flue elbow in the void with the result that gas and steam was discharged into the void necessitating replacement timber structures in the house.

We moved from the house quite soon after buying it so I don't know jhow things are now.

Edited by KB. on 10/04/2019 at 19:36

Developers/builders tend to want boilers/heating systems that are cheap/easy to install, although because of the NHBD warranty, poor quality boilers will push them towards other designs.

In some very hard water areas, I suspect they've got the message that installing combis + cheesy in-line limefighters (useless) are not a viable design, and the vast majority of electromagnetic water conditioners are no good either (the few decent ones, especially the Hydromag unit, are expensive). As such, many combi boilers' heat exchangers (HX) were terminally scaling up in a year or two, sometimes less.

The problem often comes as the architects are under significant pressure to reduce costs by making homes smaller, meaning that the boiler+cylinder solution is not favoured by them, plus they are a bit less energy efficient (not that much, especially when the energy used/cost of repairs or use of EM water conditioners are factored in).

It is not helped by the modern use (more energy efficiency regs) of heat recovery ventilation systems for homes, which require ducting routed via ceiling voids, which often requires them to be larger to accommodate pipework and boiler flue crossovers. Architects want to reduce the height of these voids.

Potterton haven't had a great reliability record, and mistakenly bought the rights to the Range Powermax boiler I use, which is a good design in principle (not a condensing boiler, so no condensate drain, provides the same DHW output as a 28kW standard combi using a 14kW burner, no remote HW tank) but badly executed, hence why they aren't reliable.

Plumbers avoid them as they are very fiddly and require specific training to enable them to work on them (bad servicing was the reason why the government changed the law so that all flues run in voids need to have access panels to inspect them). They kept the Powermax name but changed the design for the follow-up model, which in my view wasn't a great deal better (essentially its a boiler+cyliner in one box) in terms of reliability.

Their sister company Baxi are better, but IMHO they are still middle of the road at best. But as before, the quality of your plumber makes the most difference as to how long a heating system/boiler lasts.

Which Boiler - KB.

I am, without doubt, the world's worst decision maker.

I still haven't swapped my boiler.

Although, the fact that my 23 year old Ideal Classc FanFare 250 boiler with a cast iron heat exchanger is still working OK does mean I have time on my side. Everyone tells me it was Ideal's most reliable boiler and that I'm honoured to possess such a classic, vintage item.

CORRECTION. I was wrong in one my earlier posts. I said Intergas boilers have stainless steel heat exchangers. They don't. My mistake. They do have a somewwhat different approach to their HEX's but they're not Stainless. They have wide bore copper piping encased in solid aluminium. Part of the apparent appeal is the idea is the wide bore doesn't clog up (in systems that don't have crystal clear water) as readily as the narrow waterways found elsewhere.

I won't pursue the topic of Intergas beyond what I've said coz people will think I have a reason to do so or that I have an interest in the company - which I don't.

Edited by KB. on 16/06/2019 at 21:41

I am, without doubt, the world's worst decision maker.

I still haven't swapped my boiler.

Although, the fact that my 23 year old Ideal Classc FanFare 250 boiler with a cast iron heat exchanger is still working OK does mean I have time on my side. Everyone tells me it was Ideal's most reliable boiler and that I'm honoured to possess such a classic, vintage item.

To be honest, the money you save per year from having a new, more efficient boiler installed is nothing compared to the cost of the installation, even for a 25 year old boiler, as long as its reasonably reliable, the price of replacement parts are still reasonable (especially compared to new boilers' parts), reasonably plentiful and there are enough local plumbers willing and able to maintain them.

I worked out that replacing my 16+ yo non-condensing boiler (about 84% efficient) with a new, 90% efficient condensing boiler would save me about £100pa in bills. The cheapest new system installation would come out around the £2k mark, and the best (the one I'd want, including siting the new boiler in the same location as the existing one) would cost me at least another £500 on top of that.

Most decent quality condensing boilers last between 15 and 20 years, perhaps 25 if you're really lucky (better if you live in a soft water area). My boiler is an unusual one and thus this time is rapidly approaching replacement time (probably 2-3 years away at most) due to the above criteria. Yours maybe still able to last longer - some simpler older (non-combi) boilers can, if well maintained, last 25, 30 or even 35 years with a fair wind, especially if they are from a make still around.

Which Boiler - KB.

Yes, you're 100% right.

Essentially I was just, initially, doing my homework so that if it did pack up in a manner that dictated end of life I would be able to go straight to the replacement item and go ahead without delay. It's had a few, fairly common but reasonably pricey bits and it might not need anything else for some time but as time has gone on I've almost talked myself into wanting a replacement. Daft innit :-)

Yes, you're 100% right.

Essentially I was just, initially, doing my homework so that if it did pack up in a manner that dictated end of life I would be able to go straight to the replacement item and go ahead without delay. It's had a few, fairly common but reasonably pricey bits and it might not need anything else for some time but as time has gone on I've almost talked myself into wanting a replacement. Daft innit :-)

My advice generally, and it applies just was well to keeping cars over 10 years old and (to some extent) household white goods, TVs, etc is to:

1. Do your homework to find a suitable replacement (or at least a shortlist to cover most eventualities) in advance of it going wrong, just in case the problem is terminal for the reasons previously described. Do the same to check if parts are still available and reasonably priced.

Plumbers tend to source them from local wholesalers because its easy and convenient, however the Interweb has a good number of other parts suppliers who can often offer lower prices or have the stock you need and can courier it to your home/workplace for a reasonable price. Many plumbers won't put in the work required to do this, though occasionally some really good ones will.

To be fair, it doesn't take 5 mins of looking, but neither does it take several hours. I found the OEM expansion vessel for my installation, which saved me a LOT of money, especially as my plumber didn't have to modify the pipe connection to install another brand.

Update this research once a year or more often for less reliable boilers, in case better units come along or others are superseded/have issues. This shouldn't take long to check new boilers on the market - they don't appear that often, not from the quality brands anyway.

Whenever you do get a problem with your old boiler or need it serviced, get quotes from a reasonable number of decent local plumbers, as I found with mine that the number who were trained to maintain it suddenly dropped from about 3-4 to just a couple.

2. Relying on one plumber who's trained to maintain a specific boiler/make (often that has gone out of business or the boiler is unusual) can be a real pain, even if they are a good plumber, as they may be so busy that you may be without heat and hot water for days. This is especially difficult in winter, when problems are far more likely to strike and this they are much busier anyway.

3. If changing boilers has to necessitate a change in the heating system configuration, e.g. (as mine will) installing a condensate drain (convenient drain point/route needed and/or power for an extra pump), a concentric flue/additional pipework is needed (perhaps a dropped ceing/bulkhead may be required) or new flue discharge is required, ask your normal plumber to provide a quote (even a rogh one will be useful) to get a reasonable estimate of the cost, which can easily land you with £500 - £1000 of extra costs.

Better to know well in advance to ensure the expertise, equipment and money's there specifically for it should the need arise.

Which Boiler - KB.

All the above noted, ta.

Condensate run presents no insurmountable problems. Flue hole would remain untouched.

As I've said, the existing boiler hasn't failed hence doing my homework at leisure in case it does.

I have a trusted local installer (who is going to do an Intergas trauning course soon).

The fact that it'll be a heat only "one for one" swap does simplify the issue a lot.

The choice of manufacturer hasn't been completely finalised but I've definitely ruled some out and some in but won't elaborate due to to not wanting to mention one over the other with no actual personal experience to back it up. I have no connection with anyone - and am always happy to listen.

Indeed - a heat-only gas boiler is the simplest type of the three. The good thing is that they are stil very popular, given how many homes over 25 years old there are that already have that system in place. I'd probably still go for one of the makes I will be for a combi that I previously mentioned, but the less complex nature of the heat only boiler perhaps gives you more options. Especially if there are other things to factor in like size restrictions.

One thing that's worth checking on, assuming you're not replacing the heating circulator pump (or going to on a like-for-like basis), is that any replacement boiler is reasonably designed for the heating flow and return temperature of your system.

Some Euro makes, and more and more UK ones, now base their boiler design on a flow and return temperature of 80degC flow, 60degC return, and not the old British way of 82/71. Almost of all of them can adapt to the higher flow temperature, but the smaller temperature difference can, on some models make a significant different to the heating water pressure drop through the boiler, because the pipes are smaller because they are designed for a 20degC drop rather than an 11degC drop.

Similarly, the existing radiators could, if you changed from an 82/71 system to an 80/60 system, be undersized if the pump output cannot be increased sufficiently (by turning it up from setting 1 to 2 or suchlike) to compensate for the additional water flow and (thus) system pressure drop required.

Just make sure whatever one you choose can cope with running on the old system, unless of course you would want to change many (or even all) of the radiators and the pump.

Which Boiler - KB.

OK, I'll spill the beans :-) I've done quite a lot of homework and I've pretty much decided to go Intergas HRE Open Vent 18kw. Intergas technical bods advise it'll need to be mounted on their ''Fitting Kit A '', a jig which happens to be designed more for their combis and system boilers (it has the expansion vessel fitted to it) - but that would simply be discarded and only the stand off frame used. This brings the boiler 95mm off the wall - which is necessary due to that particular type of boiler having the flue on the top of the boiler (obviously) - BUT - sited right over to the left hand side. As a result you need to incorporate what they call their "offset flue kit" which kicks the flue back to the centre by means of an extra (approx 45 degree) elbow in the flue. Additionally, by using the fitting jig, as well as centering the flue, it brings the flue joint away from the wall sufficiently to allow for the joint to be visually inspected during a service .... if you mounted the boiler straight on to the wall without some means of "stand off" the flue joint is recessed in to the flue hole. I've spent some time checking this arrangement, which is often done on Intergas HRE's but, of course, less common elsewhere.

There's a new (replacement) Grundfos pump next to the cylinder and a Honeywell three way valve in the airing cupboard and an F&E in the loft. All very conventional.

I do not envisage issues along the line of which you speak regarding flow. As you may well know the Intergas HEX has wide bore copper tubing encased in solid aluminium and isn't prone to blockage in the way other boilers with narrow waterways might be if the water quality was poor.

Irrespective of whether we're talking 82/71 or or 80/60 (terms I'm totally unfamiliar with after all these years) I will not be changing the size of any radiators. They've all been off the wall and flushed through and I have replaced a couple as the paint finish was looking a little tired but they all pass water without a problem and are sound.

The old pump (and now the new one too) has always been able to circulate water at any pump speed without pumping over. In fact the whole system works remarkably well (which brings us back to the question of why are we changing the boiler at all?) The answer to that is probably something like ... I may well wait a while before doing anything - but in the event that the current boiler's fan goes or something equally expensive - that would likely be the catalyst for change.... but at least we'd be ready for the swap, knowing what I'll swap it for.

In case there was ever any doubt - I will not be doing the work myself. It seems that whenver or wherever a consumer asks a question involving gas the first point that is (understandably) often raised is "are you a GasSafe installer? And I'm not. I have one lined up and have ultimate faith in him.

Edited by KB. on 18/06/2019 at 22:03

Which Boiler - nick62

Just had a quote to supply & fit a new Worcester Greenstar 8000 35kw system boiler.

Including all new wireless controls and removal of the old boiler the cost is approx. £3,200 (power-flush an extra £580 - I have 19 radiators, it's a big old draughty Victorian semi.)!

He is a local independent Worcester accredited plumber (35 years experience) and I get a 10 yr warranty on everything supplied.

Only thing to remain from existing system will be the hot water tank, radiators / pipework.

I'm still waiting for other quotes so no idea if this is competitive or not yet. The boiler can be brought on-line for about £1,400. I have no idea how much the additional items cost (controls and Worcester magnetic filter, etc. - needed for 10yr warranty)

Thoughts please on this price?

Which Boiler - skidpan

Three and a half years ago we had a new Vaillant Eco Tec Plus 835 (think that means its 35kw fitted together with all new plumbing to the ground floor and 9 new radiators (6 were doubles). The upstairs rads and plumbing were included in the builders quote for the loft conversion.

Pretty sure the cost was £3000 (no VAT on labour).

It included a wireless programmer, magnetic thingy for the heating water, water conditioner for the incoming mains and a shock arrester (to protect the boiler when ceramic taps close instantly).

Got a 5 year guarantee which would have been a 10 year if he had been Vaillant accredited. Unfortunately he wasn't, he normally fitted Ideal boilers for which he gave a 10 year warranty. It was our decision to have the Vaillant and so far no regrets. We have had Vaillant service it 3 times now and each engineer has commented that the installation was spot on.

Happy so far. uses much less gas than the old back boiler in the smaller previous house.

Which Boiler - nick62

New Worcester 35kw system boiler installed earlier this week with no dramas thus far. As the new boiler works on a sealed set-up, our central heating cold water storage tank is history, (as is the pump which is integral to the new boiler).

Had a minor but irritating issue with Worcester technical service/help, (not the fault of the plumber), as a small part which is shown in the technical literature as included is actually not supplied and is a £9 extra, (I would suggest this is a "bean-counter" issue)?

Extremely happy with the performance thus far. I know its still technically summer, but on a test run, the kitchen radiator (which used to take an age to get just luke-warm), is now very hot after only 10 minutes. Boiler is practically silent in operation and has a 10 year warranty.

I'll monitor gas use over the next 12 months and report back.

Edited by nick62 on 08/09/2019 at 16:52

New Worcester 35kw system boiler installed earlier this week with no dramas thus far. As the new boiler works on a sealed set-up, our central heating cold water storage tank is history, (as is the pump which is integral to the new boiler).

Had a minor but irritating issue with Worcester technical service/help, (not the fault of the plumber), as a small part which is shown in the technical literature as included is actually not supplied and is a £9 extra, (I would suggest this is a "bean-counter" issue)?

Extremely happy with the performance thus far. I know its still technically summer, but on a test run, the kitchen radiator (which used to take an age to get just luke-warm), is now very hot after only 10 minutes. Boiler is practically silent in operation and has a 10 year warranty.

I'll monitor gas use over the next 12 months and report back.

The previous problem with your kitchen radiator not getting very warm and a long time to do so may have not been the old boiler's fault, but other reasons, such as:

The old system pump failing or not being selected/set up correctly - a worn one may not have had the oomph left in it to do the job properly, or;

There was sludge in the system, particularly in certain radiators, and it was cleared by the plumber as part of their installation exercise (draining, cleaning/flushing and refilling plus adding inhibitor). Similarly with air build-up and venting, though normally that problem affects radiators upstairs.

Normally, the plumber will make sure the system the new boiler is installed in is up to the task and thus a number of ancillary problems get fixed at the same time. I'm not surprised about a modern boiler heating up the radiators really quickly, as they are much more thermally efficient than older generations, rather like car engines.

Which Boiler - nick62

The main problem with the old system was it being gravity fed (from a cold water storage tank). It was prone to "short cycling" and sending water into the header tank via the expansion pipe, (the boiler was mounted no more than 1.5m below the header tank).

There was no particular sludge build-up identified during the flush and the pump was working fine. The old boiler was rated as 80% efficient (35kw) and the new one 90% / 35kw, so the change in boiler efficiency has not made that much difference.

The sealed system set-up is what has had the greatest effect IMHO.

Edited by nick62 on 09/09/2019 at 18:26

Sounds like the old system was a poor design - especially with the boiler being near to the top of the system. The short cycling issue (which normally means a boiler is oversized or incapable of turning down when space heating only is required) should be easily cured as a modern boiler can turn down to about 10% capacity, as normally, the largest heat load is for the domestic hot water and not space heating.

Even though the new one is 'only' 10% more efficient, because it won't short cycle, you'll likely save a good deal more on your gas bill. My non-condensing boiler (about 17 years old) has a similar issue with short cycling for the DHW on auto mode and thus I can save more by switching it to manual/off when I need to for hot water. That and making best use of the hot water available without the boiler needing to reheat it later.

Looks like I'm soon going to find this out as well - my boiler has multiple problems (and only hot water for 30sec at a time), likely to cost £500+ in parts alone, never mind labour. A new boiler it is, in my case I think a Vaillant EcoTEC Plus 832, so I can get a good DHW flow.

Unfortunately the location of the existing unit (and where I want the new one to go [many reasons, but a lack of space elsewhere being the main one]) and its configuarion means I'll likely end up spending well over £2k to install the new one. Well at least the plumber is an approved installer so I'll get the 10-year warranty.

Which Boiler - bathtub tom

I see the current (today) government propose banning gas boilers in new build. Alright I suppose to use electric generated by a gas fired power station?

Which Boiler - alan1302

I see the current (today) government propose banning gas boilers in new build. Alright I suppose to use electric generated by a gas fired power station?

All nuclear, wind, hydro, solar etc

Which Boiler - KB.

Looks like I'm soon going to find this out as well - my boiler has multiple problems (and only hot water for 30sec at a time), likely to cost £500+ in parts alone, never mind labour. A new boiler it is, in my case I think a Vaillant EcoTEC Plus 832, so I can get a good DHW flow.

I ask for no reason other than out of interest .... had you looked at Intergas boilers at all?

I'm not a rep. for them and have never owned one but have looked long and hard at various aspects of owning one and haven't discounted the manufacturer. Combis, System boilers and Heat Only boilers are available with the latest offerings from them being the Xclusive and Xtreme models in sizes that go up to 36kw. The Xclusive and Xtreme both modulate down to 3.6 or thereabouts. I think it's their heat exchanger (which has large bore copper tubing through which the water passes rather than the narrow openings of a plate exchanger) that catches my eye, given that mine is an old system which has been blocked up in the past due to neglect and poor design .... thankfully it's cleaner now but it's still old and still 10mm copper.

As usual we, above, see Worcester and Vaillant crop up as default manufacturers. Much is written about both - for better or worse.

Edited by KB. on 29/09/2019 at 16:57

Which Boiler - concrete

Well KB, don't discount Viessmann. I had great experience with them. Easy to install, multi flue options and great reliability. Could not say the same for Vaillaint. However you pays your money.................... Cheers Concrete

Which Boiler - KB.

No, in fact I did look quite closely at them but didn't find it especially easy to get one of their approved installers to take an interest when I called a couple of local ones.

When checking online to see what others had to say quite a few responses were similar to that of Intergas i.e. sound products but spares and installers/technicians who are familiar with them are less readily available.

Well KB, don't discount Viessmann. I had great experience with them. Easy to install, multi flue options and great reliability. Could not say the same for Vaillaint. However you pays your money.................... Cheers Concrete

Viesmann were on my list for those reasons - the problem is that they are less well known in the plumbing trade and thus most plumbers are not 'expert' on them or can offer the extended warranties that more of them can do on Vaillants and Worcesters. None in my town at least. Shame really, as I've specifide Viessmann on the commercial side with no problems.

In my experience, I'm far more familiar with Vaillants (having specced them many times over the years) and found them to be easier to use, and as long as you stick to the EcoTEC Plus and not the Pro range of their boilers (the latter apparently lesser quality and rebadged for another make), then it should be fine reliability-wise.

Other local plumbers who've installed Worcester boilers aren't eligable for the uprated warranty and some who've installed boilers near me have had a spotty track record, not as regards the noilers themselves but the quality of their installations. Again, if they'd been better, I might've chosen a system other than Vaillant.

I'll be getting the 10 year warranty with mine as I'm using a local plumber I'm happy with/used before (who also used to live on my housing development, so they know the existing systems well) who happens to be a Valliant-approved installer.

A bit of a compromise, but Vaillants still come a close third in the Which? magazine ratings, and are only beaten by the other two mentioned by 1 star on the reliability front (by 4 to 5). To me, that's not too bad, especially coming after my unreliable Powermax.

Which Boiler - KB.

^^^ Interesting.

Sounds very much as though a Vaillant was the obvious choice.

The more I read about Worcester and Vaillant the more I keep seeing how they are decribed as "Premium" boilers, but, at the same time, I read that a fair percentage say Worcester have more plastic in their boilers than is ideal and they aren't as nice to work on as others ... but that their after care is better than the others.

Personally I've tried to see through the "hype" of those two manufacturers hence looking to see if Intergas was a viable alternative. (I wrote ATAG off a long time ago and I don't think Viessman is a wise choice hereabouts for reasons described). But I may have to admit that the vast majority seem to accept Vaillant as being a sensible option - even if Vaillant do have close ties with Homeserve and Domestic and General (FROWN!)

I have written off the idea of replacing my elderly 'heat only' Ideal Classic in the garage and have moved toward installing something in the airing cupboard (where the, 23 year old, vented HW cylinderand three-way valve currently is).

But there is a major choice between a new, simple, heat only or system boiler plus an unvented cylinder in the aforementioned cupboard - OR fitting a big (35 or even 40 kw) combi in there instead. It's the hot water that concerns me most ....will the shower be affected by opening another tap or flushing a toilet with, even a powerful, combi?

I've provided a new dedicated 22mm cold supply (taken immediately after the incoming 25mm MDPE supply and going straight to the airing cupboard) and have provided a new 28mm gas supply there too - so sufficiency of water and gas isn't a problem - but I don't have enough personal experience of a big, new combis nor of an unvented cylinder - although I looked at two newish Megaflo unvented installations recentlyand both seemed to take a disproportionately long time before hot water arrived at the respective kitchen taps DESPITE neither seeming to have exceptionally long pipe runs to the taps in question.... disconcerting as I thought quick availablity of hot water was one of their benefits?

Don't know how I'll decide.

Which Boiler - concrete

Any new product on the market has an uphill struggle against the 'devil we know'. I believe that most boilers, either system or combi are intrinsically the same basic design. The choice of components and materials therefore makes a difference. i.e copper heat exchangers, top quality electronics(the expensive bit to repair) and top quality diverters and pumps. The so called approved installer is bit of a misnomer. You don't have to do much to gain approval. Installing one boiler is very much like another in fixing and connecting. A certain level of competence is required and this does certainly make a difference. The idea that a competent installer of Baxi or Valiant will struggle with a Viessmann or a Worcester is laughable. Your rights are protected provided the installer is a competent installer and gas safe registered, and the installation is according to manufacturers instructions. Being 'approved' is neither here nor there. So, simply select your boiler type with care, your installer with greater care and proceed.

Cheers Concrete

The problem is that most people don't call a plumber out that often, so, like many trades people, it's difficult to assess their competence or that of alternatives, often becuase we see an increasing number of fake reviews on line - both good and bad.

The original plumber I previously used now only works for a local kitchen fitter and thus won't do ordinary work such as fixing and fitting boilers, presumably unless its part of a kitchen fit-out. Mt current one is fine, and the reason why I'm using him in this case (other than that) is because I'll get the uprated 10 year warranty rather than the standard 5 year warranty (some can uplift this to 7 years).

I understand that other plumbers may be qually qualified, but I suspect mine has spent money to go though a Vaillant training course to be full certified on them to be able to qualify for the longer warranties. I'd rather have that extra piece of mind, and would've done the same for any of the other two premium brands (Worcester and Viessmann) had I gone for one of them. I was that I know my plumber well as competent and he's local that it makes the most difference. Had alternative brands had that, then I might of chosen differently.

I am rather concerned about the potential price though, as the boiler location means I'll need both a 3-4m flue extension (its in a cupboard off the central hallway, no other one possible without drastically reducing usable space), a condensate pump and 7m run to the SVP, all through ceiling voids, both of which will require a reasonable amount of builderwork, as will removing the old boiler, flue and making good the defunct hole in the wall where the twin flue system's air intake went (three replacement bricks, insulation and plasterboard inside). At least connecting to the existing gas, heating, H&CWS pipes and pressure relief discharge should be straight forward.

Given I've asked my plumber to quote for a combi boiler one step higher then normal becuase I want the guaranatee of a good DHW flow rate, it means the boiler alone will cost about £1250 - £1300. The plumber says it could take him and his mate up to a couple of days to fit it all, which could come to £3k, maybe more depending on what builderswork he's including for. Any thoughts? I'm phoning him this evening to discuss further.

I'll let you know how it all goes.

Which Boiler - KB.

Several points are at hand here...

The one about "approvedi installers" not necessarily being as advanced as we might hope is valid.

For example some require their candidates to undergo intensive and fairly extensive in house training whereas, as an alternative, Intergas offer half a day, after which you're a Platinum Installer .... no site visits or references to determine anything about the installer - only need to be Gas Safe registered - and half a day ain't long, is it?

I gather Vaillant ask a bit more - but I could easliy be wrong - I'm not an installer, I just listen to what I hear.

When I called Vaillant to ask about specific warranties of particular products they couldn't/wouldn't tell me and told me to ask my chosen installer as only he or she can determine exactly what warranty they can offer - they said it varied between individual installers... that seemed odd to me. And when I did ask a local firm they gave me the impression it varied depending on the time of year or whether they sent one of their fitters on to a particular course or not. A bit bizarre.

At least with Ideal there's less indecision - but I'm led to wonder if any of the manufacturers would, in practice, uphold their warranty for a full 7 or 8 or 10 or 12 years and not wriggle out of it?

Engineer Andy - have you looked long and hard to make sure you're not overlooking a possible site for the installation - one that you've possibly missed up to now?

One thing which I haven't been able to get an answer on is - if you fit an "oversized" combi ..... that is to say something like 40 kw .... I gather it might possibly allow ONE more powerful shower, or perhaps TWO less powerful showers ... but I still don't know if the bigger the combi the less likely it is that someone using a toilet or tap elsewhere in the house would affect the flow from the combi - coz the idea of the shower losing temperature or losing much of it's flow just doesn't appeal to me. Hence me saying I've fitted an suplementary 22mm cold supply straight from the main incoming cold water service pipe solely for the use of whatever gets fitted in the airing cupboard. And for similar reasons, the new 28mm gas supply there too.

Good points KB. Unfortunately for me, I am very limited in what I can do, for monetary reasons (I'm not working at present, so I can't afford wholesale changes to the existing heating and DHW &CWS systems, even if I wanted to) and spatial ones - my flat isn't that large, but the only two locations a boiler can reasonably go are in the existing hall cupboard, and the kitchen, which is already very small and would further reduce the space available.

I also (to keep within the Regs) have to run the new condensate drain to the only discharge point available - the flat's only SVP. I'm not allowed to run it to discharge externally for many reasons, but the main ones are its outside the demise of my flat and I'm not allowed to carry out work on areas not owned by me or specifically designed to take the drain, which the SVP would be. That work alone will like add £250+ to the bill.

The cheapest location and installation is in the kitchen (as it would also back onto the SVP) and would not require a flue extension, just extending the gas and all the water/heating pipes back to the existing cupboard. As I said, it significantly reduces an already small amount of usable space if it was sited there - the kitchen is only 2.6m x 1.75m to start with.

As regards the boiler capacity, the gas pipe runs under the building (I'm on the ground floor) in the vented space below the damp course, and as such cannot be uprated, thus the 32kW combi is the most powerful the system can accept on the existing 22mm incoming pipe, as it also serves the kitchen hob via a 15mm branch. I checked the new scenario and on worst case usage, the boiler only had 0.1mbar to play with.

A higher output combi (e.g. the bigger 35kW and 40kW+ combis, which I've specced myself for bigger new homes as you said) would likely require, as you say, the main pipe to be changed to 28mm, something that likely isn't possible (concrete floors) and way too expensive/time consuming/disruptive if it was possible. The existing boiler location also is nearer the meter and thus the pressure drop would be lower than in the kitchen due to the shorter pipework run.

The cold water supply pipe comes in under the kitchen and doubles back on a branch to the boiler. Pressure is fine, but I think they original designers undersized the DHW flow from the boiler a bit - all the pipes are run in either minibore (HTG) or standard 15mm plastic, so pressure drops are more than usual. With a 32kW boiler, it should deliver about 12-13 l/min of water at around 45-50degC, good enough for a shower plus a little left over.

I would've liked a lot more so I could run the (hot fill) washing machine at the same time, but again the issues over the gas pipe/pressure preclude that. I didn't want to take the chance with the smallest 24-25kW combis that just about produce the 9 l/min of water at 45degC needed for a shower, especially given the small pipes I have (which I can't afford to change out).

Like many newer-build 'McHomes' over the last 25 years, many were never really designed with replacements and upgraded systems in mind. The problem for me is that a like-for-like replacement of decent quality just wasn't possible, as very few, if any combi boilers are available that are of the non-condensing type.

A lot of these problems are due to poor design from both the original 'engineers' (more likely some less experienced one working directly for the builder) and the architect who designed the buildings overall. It (amongst many other issues) has been one of my bugbears over the years - all too often, too many compromises of significance were forced on design teams to save costs, and one of the reasons I got out of the business 2 years ago.

Which Boiler - KB.

Clearly you've done pretty well as much head scratching as could be done. And you've looked at every angle.

Regarding your gas supply, one of the of things that I've discovered in recent months is "Tracpipe" ... the semi flexible, stainless, corrugated. yellow plastic coated gas pipe that comes on a roll and is often used in voids where copper doesn't lend itself. It's more expensive than copper but the big plus is it's ability to run in continuous lengths in awkward places, with no joints. But presumably it's not gonna help in your place. I ran mine myself but got a tame gas installer to test it and connect it to the meter.

The other thing that was going to get me out of a corner if I'd gone for the garage option is the Condensafe type in-line, lime chipping filled, neutralizing device that goes between the boiler and a rainwater downpipe (even it's it's solely rainwater and not foul).

Others seem to occasionally go for storage combis to save the issue of waiting for hot water to arrive at the tap from a distant combi - and to provide better shower/tap flexibility but, as you will know, they're physically big and not cheap but seem a half way house between an ordinary combi and an unvented cylinder system. I gather they couold also be a bit troublesome, but I don't speak from experience.

It seems we each have our problems ... yours caused by not enough viable options, and mine through having too many choices but the reluctance to take the plunge and commit to one.

As regards what to do with the condensate, it's normally far easier for houses than flats. In my case, we can only run it to the SVP, as we're not allowed to run any new pipes outside of the flat's demise and connect into a rainwater pipe or other drain (e.g. an external gully), as any fault in the pipe/installation could cause a knock-on effect, e.g. water (especially condensate itself) leaking onto the ground and destroying plants/grass in communal gardens and/or leaving a slippery residue (especially if it freezes in winter) which could easily be a hazard and result in the owner getting sued.

The same goes for any damage caused by a run of pipe freezing up (e.g. if it's not insulated, too long or without sufficient fall) and the pipe breaks due to the water freezing up. It's one of the major downsides to living in a flat. We can't do things outside the demise of our property because we don't own the land/buildings and if we ran new serives, would be financially responsible for any consequences thereon in, including if the buildings or gardens were damaged and had to be repaired.

The residents association does not have the funds to continually go after such residents in protracted legal battles, so muggins here is putting together a 'do's and don'ts' in this regard for anyone wishing to change their boiler/heating system that might impact others. Again, it's an absolute pain and many times I wished I live in a deteched house - more expensive to buy, but at least all the problems are ones I would be solely responsible for and allowed to fix (within the law, regs etc) as I saw fit. Not in a flat though.

I can fully understand your problems as well - if I weren't financially hamstrung and knew I'd be staying in my flat for a good number of years (or decades) to come, I might've considered a more comprehensive system change, but could've cost me £4k or even £5k, but would have so many options - at a price.

A 'Resident Director' colleague of mine on the Residents Association had so many problems with their old system (same boiler as mine) and the high cost of installing a replacement (similar issues, different flat type) that they junked the lot and now have fully electric heating and hot water - not too expensive to install, but it costs them a small fortune (far more than gas heating/DHW) in higher electricity bills.

Now I'm limited to two, one probably £500 cheaper than the other, but which is just not suitable. It is rather like buying a new car, sometimes you don't choose because there's so many to choose from (at a cost), other times you're forced into a choice you don't really want.

Which Boiler - KB.

^^^ All rcvd.

Commiserations indeed.

Let us know the final outcome.

Which Boiler - concrete

The reason there is such a thing as 'approved installer' status is to promote the brand. An extended warranty is fine, but my guess is the extension after your legal one will have strings attached. I am fortunate that in an earlier life I served an apprenticeship in heating and ventilation. We were 'approved' by several manufacturers as installers Crane, Potterton etc etc. This did mean going to their factories and training, but mainly on repairs and replacing items with new parts. That is where the training is useful. Installing is the simple part. I never felt the need to employ anyone to install my appliances as I had accreditation through work. So I saved money all round. If anything did need replacing there are lots of companies selling spares for every type of appliance, so fitting them was fairly easy for me. I agree if you're entirely in the hands of tradesmen, especially ones you don't know or are not recommended, then it is different, and at least the 'approved' status does provide some peace of mind through a recognised reliable brand name. That is what you are paying for. However, as previously stated, and I make no apology for repeating it, the installer is the key to a good job, well installed, set up and running well. In Andy's case this is even more so with the amount of other work to facilitate the flue etc. then of course to finish off and patch up brickwork, plaster walls etc. All finish trades need to good because that is the part you see. Choose your installer carefully Andy. maybe ask your plumber friend who now only does kitchens, who he thinks is a really good tradesman. It takes one to know one. Don't be afraid to ask for inspection of other installations. Any good installer, proud if his work will be pleased to show you how good he is. Good luck.

Cheers Concrete

My pumber said to me outright that he doesn't do the making good, except that his brother, who's a bricklayer can do that on the external wall (outside only). My former plumber won't get involved (I actually spoke to him about this when the boiler went wrong a year or so ago not knowing he'd switched to just doing the plumbing for the local Kitchen installer firm) and he said he couldn't, which is fair enough.

I had found it difficult to get sufficient knowledgeable and honest opinions/reviews on both local plumbers but especially general builders and painters/decorators, at least until recently, when my nextdoor neighbour (same type of flat as mine) has used two different builders/installers etc to have first a new bathroom and now a new kitchen fitted.

I await to see the latter completed as she tells me that whilst the work for the former was good, its was increadibly expensive in comparison. It's just a shame the previous occupants of her flat decided to have their new boiler installed in the already small kitchen, which means I cannot apply what they did and the subsequent building work entirely to what I want, although I can see the standard of work and how much it costs (the second TBA at present), even if I'm only seeing both from a few months and days completed.

Unfortunately my installation will be the proverbial 'guinea pig' on the development as I don't know yet of any other resident in my flat type that has gone for the replacement boiler installation in the location of the existing one, mainly because it is easier (and cheaper) to put them in the kitchen. If you saw how small they are, you'll know exactly why I don't want to go that route, even it costs me an extra £500 or more. I should be able to recoupe that extra cost when I sell the place because it will be a more practical solution for living in the flat.

Hopefully things will become clearer over the coming days and weeks once the new system is installed and eventually the flat is back in full working order. I do appreciate everyone's thoughts on the matter - many thanks.

Which Boiler - KB.

Yet another case of the list showing a recent post (on the 2nd December) - but when you come here .... it's not here.

Starting to look as thought it's not worth going to the trouble of contributing if your post is simply going to disappear.

If the tech bloke can't fix it then say so. At least we'd know where we stand.

Which Boiler - KB.

ANOTHER THREAD RESURRECTION ALERT

Well over five years since i last resurrected the thread so high time it was brought back to life yet again.

I still have the same boiler ... getting on for thirty years old now. It had a new fan a couple years ago and is fine. Obviously not as efficient as a new one, but hasn't (yet) cost me a few grand to replace it. I do keep it topped up with inhibitor though and our water is super soft here.

I still don't know which HEAT ONLY boiler I would replace it with, I'm still not at all sure Worcester and Vaillant are the best. Viessman might be (stainless heat exchanger in that one). There's a stainless HEX in an Alpha too but weren't they once looked down upon?

There's still Ideal and Baxi but the modulation rate isn't great on them.

I only really keep the boiler in my consciousness coz I know one day it's gonna fail badly and I'd like to know what I'll fit. Ask a dozen heating installers which one and I'll get a dozen different answers. But life goes on.

Which Boiler - blindspot

nice resurrection. still have my ideal. now 22 years old. replaced fan a couple of times. give it a hover out every couple of years. . it's never had a service. hard water area. it's just a matter of time., till the day comes when i have to get the cash out

Which Boiler - Terry W

Older boilers are likely to be less efficient the modern condensing ones - possibly 90% vs 60-70% for something installed in the 1990s.

Assuming a gas bull of (say) £1500 pa and a just a 15% improvement in efficiency is £225pa.

This would take ~10-15 years to pay for itself, but:

• at some point an old boiler will fail - possibly when it is working hardest and the weather coldest.
  • spares may not be readily available
  • a new boiler will have a service life of 15-20+ years + spares availability
  • should still be running long after we have moved on - it is something you replace once
  • changing before the old one fails - replacement can be properly researched rather than a panic purchase

Reasons for not changing - you plan to move in the next few years and may as well leave the problem for the next owner. financial pressures make replacement now stressful.

Which Boiler - Heidfirst

Older boilers are likely to be less efficient the modern condensing ones - possibly 90% vs 60-70% for something installed in the 1990s.

Also, a boiler of that vintage may have a permanent pilot burning gas non-productively.

& equally importantly that boiler may be running with controls of the same vintage. A modern room 'stat (especially if you don't have a room 'stat at all!) is a relatively cheap upgrade that should pay for itself. You don't have to go all the way to a "smart" one but the price of those is falling all the time too.

Which Boiler - Andrew-T

<< A modern room 'stat (especially if you don't have a room 'stat at all!) is a relatively cheap upgrade that should pay for itself. You don't have to go all the way to a "smart" one but the price of those is falling all the time too >>

We moved to this house in 2006, to find a fairly recent (1999) combi boiler controlled by an old-style (bimetallic strip) room-stat (probably much older), which had a 'dead band' of about 2°C, so the on-off cycle was rather slow. I replaced it with an 'electronic' stat with digital display showing 0.5° increments - the system now cycles every few minutes, keeping a steady temperature. No idea whether it affects the overall economy. The stat requires a battery, but those seem to last for years.

<< A modern room 'stat (especially if you don't have a room 'stat at all!) is a relatively cheap upgrade that should pay for itself. You don't have to go all the way to a "smart" one but the price of those is falling all the time too >>

We moved to this house in 2006, to find a fairly recent (1999) combi boiler controlled by an old-style (bimetallic strip) room-stat (probably much older), which had a 'dead band' of about 2°C, so the on-off cycle was rather slow. I replaced it with an 'electronic' stat with digital display showing 0.5° increments - the system now cycles every few minutes, keeping a steady temperature. No idea whether it affects the overall economy. The stat requires a battery, but those seem to last for years.

Short cycling (often a big problem on combis in modern homes, especially flats like mine) can have a big impact over the longer term because the system and components are switching on and off a lot more than one that could cope with those requirements.

Think of it as the difference between a small car with a higher-stressed turbocharged engine and a larger naturally aspirated one. Whilst modern technology should make the former more reliable than in the past, a direct comparison would likely show the latter would be more reliable in the longer term and cheaper to maintain (simpler), with the downside being on-demand efficiency. Similarly between a car with a big V8 engine and a 4cyl one - the former can easily pick up speed without needing to overly stress the engine.

For commercial boilers and larger domestic heating systems, I'd recommend the use of boiler systems with a large water content (but where that is highly insulated). This is why - when it worked - my old Powermax boiler was a good concept.

It had only a 14kW burner, but could easily cope with heating my flat (obviously) without short cycling, but more importantly hot water demand for extended periods (e.g. the shower or hot fill washing machine) because it was equipped with an integral 80L buffer tank of energy to supplement the system. Sadly the concept wasn't so well implemented reliability-wise and from a maintenance-friendly pov.

My current Vaillant compact (wall-mounted) combi short cycles a lot, because the heating requirement is a max of 2.5kW but the boiler's minimum output is around double that, even worse when heating is still required in early spring / late autumn when the load is half that.

Commercial boilers from decent makes like Hoval does this well (they aren't cheap but reliable and long lasting), or you can use smaller sized / output boilers and have separate buffer tanks to achieve a similar result, which can be beneficial as the tanks should easily outlast the boiler if high quality.

Unfortunately, as I indicated in my other recent comments, such systems are very rare in one box on the domestic side or IMHO aren't the most reliable (e.g. the Vaillant high output one with the two small buffer tanks behind the combi boiler, and are just as susceptible to scaling-related issues as the HX, etc on 'ordinary' compact combis)

Assuming a gas bull of (say) £1500 pa and a just a 15% improvement in efficiency is £225pa.

This would take ~10-15 years to pay for itself, but:

• at some point an old boiler will fail - possibly when it is working hardest and the weather coldest.
  • spares may not be readily available
  • a new boiler will have a service life of 15-20+ years + spares availability
  • should still be running long after we have moved on - it is something you replace once
  • changing before the old one fails - replacement can be properly researched rather than a panic purchase

Reasons for not changing - you plan to move in the next few years and may as well leave the problem for the next owner. financial pressures make replacement now stressful.

What can make a big difference is the type and age of home you live in, as well as the type of boiler fitted or, just as important, can (physically) be fitted to replace one that is 'old', unreliable' or 'inefficient'.

Somebody living in a relatively modern flat or very well insulated house that isn't large may only have the space for a slimline boiler, and often a combi, because there isn't the space for a hot water cylinder.

As such, the potential savings in installing a new boiler will be far less than for a thermally inefficient (and especially larger) home from the 1980s and earlier, compounded if the home also uses gas for cooking, because the gas saving for heating forms only part of the total cost, more so for small, modern flats (like mine0.

Often, the savings from a higher efficiency boiler (even if it is more reliable as well) won't be recouped until the end of its own useful life. I agree though that with some (less common / unusual design that gets dropped [like my old 1st gen Powermax]) boilers, parts and expertise will become very difficult to find and thus prohibitively expensive.

With some relatively 'old', floor-mounted, non-condensing, heat-only boilers, such my parents' floor-mounted Ideal Mexico, parts and expertise are still common (and thus reasonably priced) because the boilers are quite basic and easy to work on.

Consequently it is viable for them to be viable for 25, 30 years and more - my parents' boiler was installed in 1996 (their home is a 3 bed semi from the 1960s and has a gas hob) and has never suffered from any significant issues, barely more than minor items and an annual service. In that circumstance, I'd recommend they keep it going until parts and labour gets scarce / expensive, and there's a slot-in alternative.

Unfortunately with slimline boilers, especially combis (not so much so for system and especially heat-only), their reliability is akin to that of laptop computers - significant engineering compromises have to take place in order to fit all the bits into a small casing but to achieve a relatively high output, especially for hot water production.

This is why many suffer from breakages with heat exchangers, gas valves, leaks and with the electronics generally. As an analogy, my desktop PC has only suffered from two significant issues over its 12.5 year life (and is otherwise working well for its age), not costing that much to fix (one was under a lifetime warranty), whereas my parents are on their third laptop PC since getting one only 8-9 years ago.

My old Powermax was a very large floor mounted 'combi' (unique concept until recently), but my flat doesn't have the space for a boiler+cyclinder, so when it became uneconomic to keep it in a good state of repair (nearly 17yo), I was forced to get a combi.

The only boiler that is close to my old one is a Viessman, but which costs (if I recall) £3k - £4k by itself, which means I'd have to add another £1.5k - £2k for fitting, due to the boiler cupboard being in the middle of the flat and not on an outside wall.

Often whether to replace or repair and keep it going is a calculated guess, because it's not always easy to know what will happen in 5 and especially 10 years+ in terms of reliability, expertise, legislation and (often as a consequence of some/all of them) issues surrounding spares.

With Viessmans, my area has almost no plumbers who 'specialise' in them, and I'd have to source them from 25 miles+ away, which would add a considerable amount to the cost of the plumber. One thing I have noticed is that independent plumbers (at least in my area) are starting to be more trained up on Worcester-Bosch boilers than anything else. It may be different elsewhere though.

I agree that if you're moving, best to get the lowest cost option that fixes a problem and let the new owner deal with any future issues, as it's unlikely that a new boiler will be much of a selling point or be cost neutral, especially if the heating / domestic hot water system has some design / operational issues that might require extensive work and thus money spent to rectify. The problem comes if a (savvy) potential buyer directly asks a question about such matters, whereby the seller is obliged to be truthful.

Which Boiler - Andrew-T

<< Often, the savings from a higher efficiency boiler ... won't be recouped until the end of its own useful life >>

I thought the main purpose was to save fuel (gas, which can be used once, then becomes the dreaded CO2) rather than your money - which merely changes hands, depreciating slowly, and more can be printed when supplies run low :-)

?

Which Boiler - KB.

Ta for the above replies.

Today a local (7 or 8 miles away) Viessmann accredited installer spent an hour with me. I was impressed and reassured on all counts. Too soon to receive his quote yet (obviously).

We spoke about pretty much every aspect of the installation - and there was much to cover ..... change of position in garage including changing wall flue to vertical, gas suppliy, controls for a heat only boiler using existing vented cylinder, pros and cons of changing from open vent to sealed using an expansion vessel and filling loop. To be honest he had a sensible answer to all the points raised. We spoke about a future possible change from existing (28 year old) cylinder to an unvented ... not to mention whether Viesmann, as a manufacturer, is advantageous over the likes of Worcester, Vaillant, Ideal etc etc etc.

I was very aware that the 100W heat only boiler is different from most others insofar as it has a stainless steel HEX and also the boiler modulates down to 3.2kw. Rightly or wrongly both those points were important to me. The warranty is 10 years if registered on the installer's portal and that is not dependant on fitting their own magnetic filter.

The boiler doesn't incorporate Opentherm from the factory and so he fits whatever controls are suited to the installation. I'll be honest I'm in the dark regarding modern controls and would be in his hands. Simplicity for us oldies is as important as economy to the nth degree.

Of course, the fact remains the existing 28 year old Ideal Classic 50,000 btu boiler (with electronic ignition, not pilot light) is still working and has had a new fan exactly one year ago ( £44 inc VAT and postage !!!! isn't that amazing? ) . But the debate regarding when to replace is acknowledged ... and reiterated above.

My main doubt concerns pressurizing the system and the possible leaks thereafter. He said it's very rare, and it may well be, but it still scares me.

If I did pressurize the heating circuit and there was no leak then fine. If, at some point in the future, the cylinder did start to leak then I'd almost certainly swap to an unvented cylinder.

The installer recommeded fitting a 19kw boiler to take into account the possibility of a new unvented cylinder in the future. The (14) radiators are rated at a total of 15kw plus 2kw for the existing cylinder so that would suggest a 16 kw boiler may well suffice but his preference for a 18kw may well be prudent. It can be range rated and does have that very low modulation figure.

And so to bed.

Ta for the above replies.

Today a local (7 or 8 miles away) Viessmann accredited installer spent an hour with me. I was impressed and reassured on all counts. Too soon to receive his quote yet (obviously).

We spoke about pretty much every aspect of the installation - and there was much to cover ..... change of position in garage including changing wall flue to vertical, gas suppliy, controls for a heat only boiler using existing vented cylinder, pros and cons of changing from open vent to sealed using an expansion vessel and filling loop. To be honest he had a sensible answer to all the points raised. We spoke about a future possible change from existing (28 year old) cylinder to an unvented ... not to mention whether Viesmann, as a manufacturer, is advantageous over the likes of Worcester, Vaillant, Ideal etc etc etc.

I was very aware that the 100W heat only boiler is different from most others insofar as it has a stainless steel HEX and also the boiler modulates down to 3.2kw. Rightly or wrongly both those points were important to me. The warranty is 10 years if registered on the installer's portal and that is not dependant on fitting their own magnetic filter.

The boiler doesn't incorporate Opentherm from the factory and so he fits whatever controls are suited to the installation. I'll be honest I'm in the dark regarding modern controls and would be in his hands. Simplicity for us oldies is as important as economy to the nth degree.

Of course, the fact remains the existing 28 year old Ideal Classic 50,000 btu boiler (with electronic ignition, not pilot light) is still working and has had a new fan exactly one year ago ( £44 inc VAT and postage !!!! isn't that amazing? ) . But the debate regarding when to replace is acknowledged ... and reiterated above.

My main doubt concerns pressurizing the system and the possible leaks thereafter. He said it's very rare, and it may well be, but it still scares me.

If I did pressurize the heating circuit and there was no leak then fine. If, at some point in the future, the cylinder did start to leak then I'd almost certainly swap to an unvented cylinder.

The installer recommeded fitting a 19kw boiler to take into account the possibility of a new unvented cylinder in the future. The (14) radiators are rated at a total of 15kw plus 2kw for the existing cylinder so that would suggest a 16 kw boiler may well suffice but his preference for a 18kw may well be prudent. It can be range rated and does have that very low modulation figure.

And so to bed.

One thing to reiterate is the availability of expertise for each make of boiler. Whilst some are relatively generic, many (or particular boilers) are definitely not. I suspect that a search will show that your local Viessmann specialist will be the only one (you may be lucky if you're near a large town or city and have more) within easy reach.

My old Powermax boiler was a nightmare to get any plumber to work on it, precisely because it was an unusual design, and due to a utility firm's own plumbers bodging a job, a client died of CO poisoning and thus afterwards the company that then owned the boiler design (Potterton - they bought it off Range/IMI), I believe they insisted anyone who serviced them MUST be trained by them.

Only my previous plumber was even willing to work on mine (most of the boilers on my housing development were of this model), and when he sadly passed away (in his 50s), I really had no choice but to get a new one once any significant failure occurred, which it did in 2019.

The closest plumber that was willing to work on it (never mind the [scarce and not that reliable] parts cost - 4 faults and around the £1k mark + fitting) who actually was as near as an 'expert' as you could get was about 100 miles away in 'deepest' Berkshire. Probably a rather large callout charge would be added to my bill.

Just be wary about using an otherwise decent manufacturer / boiler if you only have one (good) plumber who'll maintain it within easy reach. Even if something tragic doesn't happen to them as with my former plumber, their personal circumstances may change which means they move or (e.g. retirement for some other reason) stop trading. Then you may be stuck if there's no-one else local and the manufacturer doesn't have their own repair service (as Vaillant does).

One of the benefits of using a popular make is that you'll likely get a good choice of plumbers who are competent to work on them, which can reduce some costs due to competition and parts availability (some may also be generic). The downside might be that it might be not the best in terms of what your needs are or reliability.

Many makes now offer 10 year warranties (if you use the top-tier accredited installer) - which means you get full coverage over that period for any failures on the boiler aside from the heat exchanger (normally two years), but it will likely add a decent amount to the fitted cost. For Vaillants, they will insist their own plumbers do any repair work, with the original installer (even if top tier accredited like mine) only doing servicing after the install.

For using separate HW cylinders or HTG buffer tanks, quite often a third-party manufacturer will give a better product than a boiler manufacturer's own ones, although many aren't bad - its just as much that the former offer more variants in size and design than product quality. They are relatively basic products and thus all competent plumber should know how to install them.

A high quality plumber can make the difference in the design and fitting of an excellent system than a r****** one, even if the equipment is high quality.

Which Boiler - Terry W

I thought the main purpose was to save fuel (gas, which can be used once, then becomes the dreaded CO2) rather than your money - which merely changes hands, depreciating slowly, and more can be printed when supplies run low :-)

Interesting point - but I wonder how much emissions performance vs money dominates the choices people make.

Some certainly put the environment first largely ignoring financial consequences.

Some (possibly like myself) will accept a small financial penalty (5-15%?) for environmental good behaviour.

I suspect most, for purely pragmatic reasons, base their choices largely on financial grounds - eg: putting in a £10k heat pump may take second (or seventh) place to family holidays, newer car, new kitchen, paying the mortgage etc etc.

Which Boiler - Andrew-T

<< I suspect most, for purely pragmatic reasons, base their choices largely on financial grounds - eg: putting in a £10k heat pump may take second (or seventh) place to family holidays, newer car, new kitchen, paying the mortgage etc etc. >>

I'm sure you are right. £-s-d (or £-p) are the only graspable numbers which can be put on a notional balance sheet for most people.

Interesting point - but I wonder how much emissions performance vs money dominates the choices people make.

Some certainly put the environment first largely ignoring financial consequences.

Some (possibly like myself) will accept a small financial penalty (5-15%?) for environmental good behaviour.

I suspect most, for purely pragmatic reasons, base their choices largely on financial grounds - eg: putting in a £10k heat pump may take second (or seventh) place to family holidays, newer car, new kitchen, paying the mortgage etc etc.

What also makes a big difference is how much capital outlay you can afford to 'go green' (which may not be as green as you think) - a family member spent several £00ks on a big PV array on their large house's roof and Tesla Powerwall in readiness for a future heat pump (either type) system to replace their unreliable (because it is a poorly designed system extension that likely can't be easily / economically fixed).

This should give them both a decent amount of backup in case of power cuts, plus in 'normal' times, they can sell it back to the grid when the rates are most preferential. Payback is between 10-15 years, depending on the cost (each way) of electricity.

Nice if you have the cash and home to do all that; not so much for those of us in small homes (especially flats) where it's nigh on impossible, whether legally (e.g. the lease) financially or physically.

Which Boiler - Andrew-T

<< (a big PV array) ... should give them both a decent amount of backup in case of power cuts, plus in 'normal' times, they can sell it back to the grid when the rates are most preferential. Payback is between 10-15 years, depending on the cost (each way) of electricity. >>

I don't know how the sums work out in 2024, but our 9-panel PV was installed 12 years ago, with the promise that it would pay back in about 10 years. Hard to judge accurately, but that seems to have been about right. Since then the FiT tariff has dwindled, along with the cost of installation, but I am still smugly happy that our deal was probably better than today's.

In 2011 the largest domestic installation permitted was 18 panels, but we only wanted to fit 9 on the area of roof we had in mind. We could have gone for the lot but chose not to.

<< (a big PV array) ... should give them both a decent amount of backup in case of power cuts, plus in 'normal' times, they can sell it back to the grid when the rates are most preferential. Payback is between 10-15 years, depending on the cost (each way) of electricity. >>

I don't know how the sums work out in 2024, but our 9-panel PV was installed 12 years ago, with the promise that it would pay back in about 10 years. Hard to judge accurately, but that seems to have been about right. Since then the FiT tariff has dwindled, along with the cost of installation, but I am still smugly happy that our deal was probably better than today's.

In 2011 the largest domestic installation permitted was 18 panels, but we only wanted to fit 9 on the area of roof we had in mind. We could have gone for the lot but chose not to.

In the case I spoke of, I think they had 27 installed (in 2022-23), so either the limit has been increased or their panels were smaller modules. They do have quite a large house with a lot of roof to install them on.

I suppose the bigger array, the more the economies of scale benefit you. It's often why community heating (even just central boiler houses for large housing developments and not waste heat from industry, reversible heat pumps, etc) can be very cost-effective if done well, which sadly it is not on many occasions.

Which Boiler - KB.

I'm following the comments here regarding the make of boiler peoplehave got fitted and their thoughts on them.

A Viessmann accredited fella called the other day. Got on well with him. We're talking a heat only boiler, a 100-W 19kw. He recommended changing from open vent to sealed, using an 18 litre expansion vessel. I'm fearful that pressurizing the 28 year old 10mm microbore system might spring a leak and that would be hard work given the 8x4 chipboard flooring and dot and dab platerboard walls.

It seems Viessmann used rubber hoses (flow and return) to connect the heat exchanger and the insides used to collect crud and block and go crispy with bits falling off and blocking stuff.

I believe they've gone to copper now but will check to be 100% sure. what a bad decision on their behalf ... rubber hoses connecting the HEX!

But there aren't many heat only boilers with stainless steel HEXs to choose from. Viessmann and Alpha to the best of my knowledge.

I'm not sure, as I've been out of the Industry for a while now and some changes may have been made to what materials are used. A shame if only Viessmann only do S/S HXs on boilers, given they seem to work and last well on commercial systems, including those on HW calorifiers.

I certainly was impressed by the engineering quality of Viessmann, but there was only one accredited plumber anywhere near my home, and they were 25 miles+ away.

Plastic pipes often outlast metal ones for the most part, often because they have less bends and joints in the system overall, so less points of failure, and they seem to be better adapted to expansion if installed correctly. Party why (as well as the vastly lower cost, parts and expertise for fitting the systems) they are installed for mains utility pipes and newer builds like mine.

A well designed and properly installed plastic piped system should be able to take the extra pressure (assuming the type of plastic used was capable in the first place), but as you say, when they start to get older, all it would take is one small flaw, and...obviously the higher the pressure the new system needs to be run at, the greater the chance of failure, and similarly with the age of the pipes.

My systems' 22yo (same age as the flat) minibore PEX pipes have lasted fine, and were always under 1-2 Bar pressure for the heating; twice as much for those installed for the hot and cold water. 99% of the time, the point of failure is a joint between two sections or a pipe and a fitting (bend, valve, outlet, etc). My system must've had a leak, but it was in the old boiler, because with the newer one fitted in 2019, no need to top up the system periodically any more.

As I recall, plastic pipes have an 'average' (according to the CIBSE guides) of somewhere in the 35-40 year mark, but I suspect that includes all different types of system and install quality. high quality ones fitted well may last getting on twice as long. As you say, the problem always is getting to a leaking pipe or joint if its inside a wall, ceiling or floor void that isn't easily accessible.

Pinholing can be an issue in copper pipes. Whilst (if I recall) there is still some debate as to what happens and why, some may be due to the pH of the water as much as the hardness. I do recall that being the reason why a pub (in Cambs, apparently more acidic water) changed from copper to multilayered plastic when they experienced pinholing. My firm worked on the project because the installers of the new system did a seemingly poor job and a fitting popped off in the night and flooded the place.

Perhaps proper dosing of the HW system and maybe even an electromagnetic descaler (unfortunately the best of these are VERY expensive, but do work very well) on the hot and cold water system may help to prevent future issues.

Many plumbers advocate for 'power flushing' existing piped systems prior to installing new boilers, mainly to remove accumulated sludge from existing pipes and radiators, but I would contend that this is only fine for systems that are not too old, or have a history of leakage, or are metal piped. Difficult to say if yours fits that 'No' criteria - how old are the radiators?

Sometimes, the sludge and other accumulated crud may the only thing holding back some joints from busting open. I suppose you won't know unless they do it what condition the pipes inside the walls etc are in.

Despite the risk, I'm going to have my system flushed in the spring (getting some 'kettling', so want to see if this removes any remaining crud from the old system left over), as I forgot to ask for it to be done when I had my 2nd gen boiler fitted 5 years ago.

Me and my plumber will have to keep an eye on the (sealed) system (the newer fitted boiler works at 1.3-1.6 bar normally), as I did need to replace a radiator a year ago because, yes, it leaked (on the panel, not a pipe connection).

Which Boiler - KB.

The system is 28 yrs old. Put in when the house was built.

10mm microbore copper, manifold sited centrally on first floor with 10mm feeds to ground and first floor. 28 year old Ideal Classic 50,000btu boiler with cast iron HEX and 28 yr old indirect vented cylinder, header tank and C/W storage in loft. House walls insulated and double glazed. 14 rads plus cylinder totals 50,000btu (calculated myself with a 1980s imperial measurement Mears calculator.)

System heavily dosed with Calmag cleanser / descaler / inhibitor (£11 per litre from Toolstation) ... been using it for years) seems really good stuff, the water is clear as a bell now. All rads removed and flushed about 12 yrs ago and not been drained since.

Spirotrap MB3 brass magnetic filter been there for ten yrs. I moved in when the house was ten yrs old - for the first ten years I heavily suspect the owner totally ignored it ... it was badly sludged up and can't have had any attention and the boiler had started to kettle. When I moved in it started to get some TLC. After chemically cleaning it and subsequently generously dosing with Calchem 'three in one' it has got cleaner and cleaner and no more kettling. The boiler runs as asweet as a nut .... you may well why am I changing it????? It's had a gas valve, two fans, air pressure switch and I can't remember if it's had a PCB.

The prospective installer isn't going to powerflush it, he'll put a chemical cleaner in, wait a week, return, flush and refill and put inhibitor in. He said the system, when sealed, will be charged to 0.8 bar and will then be subject to whatever increase in pressure is brought about by heating the water. He has quoted for an 18 litre EV and 40mm plastic condensate run in the unheated garage ... both of which I was encouraged by. The proposed boiler is a Viessmann 19kw 100-W heat only. 10 yr warranty if registered by the accredited installer (which it will be) plus 6 yrs warranty on his work.

The only other boiler that I know of with a S/Steel HEX is an Alpha.

No great shortage of combis and system boiler with S/Steel HEXs, it's the heat onlys that are all Ali. (except the two mentioned).

Edited by KB. on 25/02/2024 at 00:37

Which Boiler - Heidfirst

there are newish requirements regarding the flow/return temperatures for new installations & where not possible for replacement to meet then they should be run at lowest possible. The lower that you can run also will maximise efficiency.

That possibly may mean that your existing radiators may not have enough output to reach your required room temperature(s) at those flow temps. . Modern radiator designs almost certainly would be more efficient than your existng even before considering internal condition. If you think that you may be in that house long enough to go onto a heat pump then you probably also want to be running a wider diameter pipe than 10mm microbore.

Just saying that if you have the available funds & are considering being in that house for a long time it may be worth replacing the rads & piping as well.

p.s. some Viessmann boilers don't come with OpenTherm because they run their own proprietary control protocol (Bosch group boilers & some others like Vaillant also have their own equivalent protocols). There may well be an OpenTherm adapter available as the Netherlands requires it but generally the UK subsidiaries don't warrant their use in the UK ...

Edited by Heidfirst on 25/02/2024 at 22:17

Which Boiler - KB.

^^^^^^^^^^^^ All received, ta.

A couple of points raised there.

I honestly don't know what the future holds and how long we'll be here but certainly haven't got plans to move but none of us knows what's round the corner and the older we get the less certainties there are. I'm 73 and the Mrs a couple yrs younger.

However, the fact of the matter is ... the first floor is constructed with 8x4 sheets of (nailed down) chipboard with the skirting fitted after the flooring hence sitiing on top of the boards.

The feeds to the ground floor rads all drop down behind dot and dab plasterboard..

There are 14 rads in total

If anyone thinks I'm going to remove all (or most) of the chipboard flooring and skirting on the first floor (including taking out the hot water cylinder which is also sitting on chipboard) plus stripping plasterboard from the ground floor walls ... then they are mistaken.

I'm genuinely only considering swapping from open vent to sealed system due to the general concensus that sealed has advantages regarding cleanliness, absence of oxygen ease of filling - and the fact that there are a lot more pressurized boilers available than there are open vent. If anyone wanted a combi here then the open vent would have to go. BUT I'm afraid of pressurizing it in case of leaks under the chipboard or behind the walls but I should, perhaps , just take a chance. The biggest liability is probably the manifold in the first floor landing and I think, apart from the manifold, most, if not all, of the 10mm pipe is continuous under the floor so, hopefully less chance of a leak on that.

The boiler is 28 yrs old so I'm thinking it might be best to bite the bullet and update it now while I can plan for the job at my convenience. The fact that a new one might use less gas would be nice but not all consuming.

I do have funds to re-pipe it all and fit new rads but, as things stand, the system works and I don't think is sludged up due to the precautions I've taken and will not give myself an inordinate amount of work and mess to achieve something I may not ever benefit from.

Opentherm is not apparently built in to the heat only 100-W Viessmans. I don't claim to understand it in depth, nor the relationship between it and the boiler controls that do or don't come with the boiler or the many third party controls ... and I suspect many installers don't understand it in depth either. It's a little bit of a nightmare and I don't like delving into stuff that I'm not familiar with but that's how it is at the moment. I have a fair knowledge of plumbing and electrics and other domestic property related things having worked for many years with tools in my hand but Hive, Tado, Nest, Honeywell T6 and Smart Controls controls in general plus Weather Compensation, Domestic Hot Water Prioriy calculations four pipe systems etc etc are above me. And, believe me, if you look deep enough you need a degree in something or other to understand what's published online. Tthose much, much smarter than I might, but I don't.

Edited by KB. on 26/02/2024 at 22:02

Which Boiler - Heidfirst

OK, I was just setting out the wider scenario for consideration so that you could decide what is relevant to you & your home.

If you do want to take advantage of the (potentially very significant) increased efficiency by running at lower flow temps so that your boiler will actually condense you may need to change how you use your system. Instead of a short, high intensity burst of heat to quickly raise household temp use a longer, lower regime. Of course this is easier to do if you are in the building most of the day rather than going out all day & coming back to a cold house that has been unheated & wanting to bring it up to temp. quickly. Or if your existing rads are single panels etc. by increasing them to double (or even triple) panels & convectors or simply taller (e.g. Stelrad now offer a full range of 900mm h rads).

Vaillant/Viessmann/Worcester Bosch own control protocols are very similar to OT just proprietary rather than open. There is some evidence to show that complete manufacturer systems can be marginally more efficient than OT plus some will extend their warranty (not sure if Viessmann is one but e.g. subject to the usual Ts & Cs re. installation & maintenance Worcester might warrant their controls for up to 12 years).

Edited by Heidfirst on 27/02/2024 at 11:08

Which Boiler - KB.

^^^^^^^^ Ta.

The rads are all convector, mostly double panel with with one convector with a few small single convectors with one convector (K1 and P+). None are ever particularly hot - they're generally turned down via their respective TRV. It's a warm house. We're in all day.

I would obviously prefer that the boiler was in condensing mode as much as possible but, as you'll have gathered, I'm not going to replace pipework unless forced to and won't change the rads either. None are blocked and I have renewed a couple purely on cosmetic grounds. The TRVs are Drayton TRV4 and the lockshields are all in good nick ... I'll change the boiler and controls and might well pressurise the system and get rid of the F&E (and hope and pray it doesn't leak under the floor or behind walls) but that's as far as I'm prepared to go.

My concerns are ... finding a heat only boiler that I'm happy with (and there isn't much of a choice if you want a stainless steel HEX) plus choosing controls that make the most of the boiler's performance, trying to be reassured the pipework won't leak when pressurised (remember it's 10mm microbore with a manifold on the first floor - and I believe the 10mm feeds are compression as they join the 22mm manifold, and (slightly less crucially) choosing which magnetic filter to replace the one that's there (I fitted a Spirotech MB3 ten yrs ago but in truth I'm not convinced it's actually collecting as much magnetite as a Magnaclean might do .... I like the look of the Fernox Omega and the Sentinel Vortex 500 but suspect the Magnaclean Pro2 might work better than the others (just a pity they have had so many leaks in the past).

Edited by KB. on 27/02/2024 at 16:06

Which Boiler - John F

As my single contribution to this thread (Jan '18) was over 6yrs ago, I thought I'd add a further 2 penn'orth. I had recommended oil boiler rather than gas where possible. The intervening astonishing increase in cost of gas (and to a lesser extent oil) and the threat of banning gas boilers in favour of electric heat pumps further reinforces my relief that we burn oil. I was stunned by the amount spent by a friend who heats a smaller house with gas. We burn c.1500 litres a year and I always refill the 1800 litre tank in spring when I hope prices are lower (currently c.62p +vat). Cost per litre for me has varied between 23p (2016) and a spike of 74p (2022) + 10% vat Our Grant Vortex Eco is now 13yrs yrs old and I service it myself, as per the excellent handbook instructions. It is a simple thing, basically a large blow torch. Admittedly it doesn't do much work for just two of us. I wish it had a gauge for burning hours to provide a guide for when it needs servicing (like agricultural machinery) - can't understand why boilers don't, AFAIK. Anyway, I have learned that it only needs cleaning out every two years and the nozzle always looks clean. It has only been renewed once - not because it looked worn or clogged or seemed to be using more oil, but only because I thought I should. (The handbook advises annual nozzle replacement - can't understand why - car carburettor needles and nozzles and fuel injectors last many years before they significantly wear). Anyway, nozzles don't cost much. Modern fuel is so clean and plastic tanks don't corrode, so the tank outlet filter never has much debris (I've learned I need only inspect it every five years) and the boiler one is always clean. If you've got room for a tank, in my opinon they're a no brainer.

Which Boiler - Brit_in_Germany

15,000 kWh of gas would have cost just over GBP 1,100 so not much more than your oil.

Which Boiler - KB.

I live in an area where oil is predominant on the nearby moor and in surrounding countryside aareas but the town in which I live has a regular gas supply. I don't think I'm about to go to the trouble of changing to oil and have a tank installed in my, smallish, garden.

In fact my thinking (which changes weekly) is currently leaning towards a combi boiler. Yes, I know the pros and cons ... but there's only two of us and we won'r be conflicting thr output by simultaneous running of outlets and getting rid of the cylinder and two tanks won't be all bad.

Which Boiler - Heidfirst

Viessmann do a good line in combis with an integrated storage tank (as do Worcester) if that might be of interest.

Which Boiler - KB.

The 111-W in two sizes. At Screwfix (admittedly not the cheapest by any means, although they do stock a lot of boilers) .... the bigger of the two costs £2253 - and it's pretty darn big too.

In its sales blurb it says it's for families with high hot water demands. In my hovel there's just me and the Mrs. and we shower once in the morning and the hot water doesn't get used much during the day and evening. No conflicts where both need to draw hot water simultaneously.

The 111-W is not for us. But it's food for thought.

Which Boiler - Adampr

I've got a 28kw Vaillant combi. There are three of us doing whatever we please. The only time it's ever been problematic is when the washing machine fills and takes all of the incoming water. Otherwise, it's never caused us any inconvenience. That's not to say you can turn all the hot taps on a the same time - you can't - but the actual inconvenience is negligible.

Which Boiler - KB.

I'm very pleased to hear that. It is/was one of the concerns I had even though there's little scope for two outlets being opened together ... the only possibilities would be one in the shower and the other uses the toilet of opens a downstairs tap. However I'm hoping the issue wouldn't be great as I have provided the prospective boiler with its own 22mm supply taken immediately as the cold water enters the house - it supplys 4 bar pressure and 38 litres per minute flow.

I was considering fitting a pressure reduction valve on this feed to the boiler so that I could ensure it has the same pressure as the rest of the house in order that the shower (s) can have balanced hot and cold feeds (there's a Caleffi pressure reduction valve on the feed to the rest of the house which is set at 3.5 bar - obviously I'd set the boiler feed to 3.5 bar as well. Given that I have 38 litres per min flow I'm thinking I have enough to supply a 30kw boiler, if not a 35kw. Hopefully either may ensure a good and stable shower which shouldn't be too affected by a tap or toilet operating during the shower.

Which Boiler - FiestaOwner

I've had a Worcester Bosch 27CDi Combi boiler for around 15 years. I live by myself and find it perfect for my needs. Although it doesn't have a particularly high flow rate, it's more than enough for feeding the kitchen sink or a shower.

What I really like about the combi, is that you're only heating the domestic hot water that you need, when you need it. You're not heating a tank of hot water. Also your hot water doesn't run out.

It is recommended to use a thermostatic shower mixer, with a combi. I have a Mira thermostatic shower mixer and the temperature doesn't fluctuate.

Which Boiler - KB.

All rcvd. Ta.

Which Boiler - Heidfirst

Given that I have 38 litres per min flow I'm thinking I have enough to supply a 30kw boiler, if not a 35kw. Hopefully either may ensure a good and stable shower which shouldn't be too affected by a tap or toilet operating during the shower.

Way more, you will probably only get ~11-13 lpm at 40C rise for a 30-35kW combi.

As already mentioned it is recommended to use a thermostatic shower valve, most of these will pressure balance (within limits but 0.5bar should be OK).

Which Boiler - KB.

Way more, you will probably only get ~11-13 lpm at 40C rise for a 30-35kW combi.

Not sure what you're saying when you say "way more" then say only 11 - 13 lpm - please expand a bit.

I have thermostatic shower valves ..... Mira Excel, albeit the ones they produce in the 1990's but still sell replacement cartridges. Excellent bits of kit. They have settings to swap betwenn high and low pressure. High is considered more than half a bar.

Which Boiler - Heidfirst

Not sure what you're saying when you say "way more" then say only 11 - 13 lpm - please expand a bit.

You say that you have 38 lpm supply but the boiler (depending upon size) will only be able to heat ~11-13 lpm at a 40C rise. 38 lpm is way more than 11-13 lpm. Even allowing for mixing in some cold you should have plenty of spare flow capacity.

Water supply rate may not be a constraint for you but gas supply rate can also be (my combi boiler can't deliver the maximum that it is rated for (iirc 16 lpm at 40C rise) because of location & gas piping).

Edited by Heidfirst on 09/03/2024 at 16:18

Which Boiler - KB.

My intention is to replace the present heat only boiler and accompanying tanks x2 and cylinder x1 and fit a 30kw combi (probably either Viesmann 100-W 30kw or Ideal Vogue 32kw)

I have in excess of 4 bar incoming via 25mm MDPE and a new 28mm gas supply going back to the meter.

The boiler has been provided wi8th its own 22mm supply going directly back tothe cold water incoming main supply in 25mm MDPE under the sink.