Looking for a 3yr old small medium car - Car for someone with Chronic back / neck pain - badgerap

I am looking to replace the Yaris that my wife drives. She has chronic neck and upper back pain that means sitting in a car for any length of time is becoming more difficult. Finding a car that is comfortable for her is probably the main requirement. The Yaris has been reliable and robust has been fantastic and would not want to sacrifice that.

I would appreciate some recommendations what to buy next, probably secondhand and aboout 3 years old.

Looking for a 3yr old small medium car - Car for someone with Chronic back / neck pain - pcvpilotmick

Kia Venga

Looking for a 3yr old small medium car - Car for someone with Chronic back / neck pain - Avant

There's no easy answer to this, because what's comfortable for one person is uncomfortable for another. You need to try various cars in the showrooms and see what works and what doesn't.

Volvos are generally agreed to have some of the best seats in the business, but most are probably bigger that she'd want, coming from a Yaris. The C30 might be worth a look although this is a a rather low-slung coupe. As suggested, something higher off the ground like a Kia Venga or Nissan Note will be possibilities.

Looking for a 3yr old small medium car - Car for someone with Chronic back / neck pain - scot22

C30 is a very comfortable car. It is, as Avant says, rather low slung and next car will not be as low. The two door is also more inconvenient than we anticipated. Despite it being bigger it is very manoeuvreable.

I would be very wary of the diesel ( I mistakenly got one when it was 3 years old. It can, mine was, be very expensive in repairs. I've become a little like The Ancient Mariner warning against diesels unless mileage and motoring style justifies it - in which case very good.

Looking for a 3yr old small medium car - Car for someone with Chronic back / neck pain - Mike H

Another Yaris?

Looking for a 3yr old small medium car - Car for someone with Chronic back / neck pain - Big John

I also have back issues although mine usually relate to lower back. I used to love Saab seats but clearly that is no longer possible. Volvo seats are my next favorite. Some VAG seats are reasonable but not all...

Looking for a 3yr old small medium car - Car for someone with Chronic back / neck pain - daveyK_UK

suzuki splash / kia venga or hyundai ix20 (same car) / fiat qubo or citroen nemo or peugeot bipper tepee (same car) / nissan note

I would avoid a skoda roomster - while you get the space, you sit low down and its no different to a normal hatchback.

Looking for a 3yr old small medium car - Car for someone with Chronic back / neck pain - SUVfanatic
Vauxhall Astra with updated seat option, only car which has ortopedic certificate.
Looking for a 3yr old small medium car - Car for someone with Chronic back / neck pain - Alanovich

My ol' Mum went for a FIAT 500L. Finds it very comfy - just travelled from Wales to Toulouse and back in it. Easy access and egress due to the body shape. 1.3 diesel very economical and peppy enough on the motorway.

Looking for a 3yr old small medium car - Car for someone with Chronic back / neck pain - ifekas

Amazingly I have found the seats on the Kia Ceed really supportive particularly on long journeys; not sure if this applies to all trim levels, try doing some test drives at a dealer near you. I really notice the difference when I have to drive other cars, and particularly the work VW Caddy vans which have dreadful seats.

Looking for a 3yr old small medium car - Car for someone with Chronic back / neck pain - daveyK_UK

I agree VW Caddy seats are horendous, but I have yet to find a worse seat in a vehicle than the Astra van which gave 100% of our fleet drivers cause to complain.

Looking for a 3yr old small medium car - Car for someone with Chronic back / neck pain - Happy Blue!

Everyone's back pain is different although upper back and neck pain may relate to driving position rather than the car. I have found a more upright car to make life easier in this regard but you need to try different models. I have driven the Suzuki Splash and it has an excellent driving position although how good it is for hours I cannot say. Find a car with a fully adjustable steering wheel (not just in and out but up and down) and height adjustable seats and you should be able to obtain relief.

Looking for a 3yr old small medium car - Car for someone with Chronic back / neck pain - HandCart

I also would vote the Suzuki Splash as 'needs investigating'.