VW SHARAN - Code Scanners and reset tools. - sparky100

Hi, has any one bought one of the basic code scanners off e-bay and do that actually work. I need to find out what keeps making the mil light flashing on my Sharan. It happens on and off and no particulate pattern to it. Is it worth buying one of these or just a waste of money. Thank's for any comments. Sparky 100

VW SHARAN - Code Scanners and reset tools. - Bolt

I bought a bluetooth one from amazon for £6.50 if you have an android phone and get the app.

it works a treat,also gives live data as you drive on your mobile if thats any good to you?

VW SHARAN - Code Scanners and reset tools. - elekie&a/c doctor
If your car is a diesel model made before 2006,you may find the cheap scanners will not work as the car may not be obd2 compatible.
VW SHARAN - Code Scanners and reset tools. - Ethan Edwards

Yes I bought a U480 scanner on fleabay. Paid about 15 quid. You can get them now from 9 quid with free p&p. So cheap. Used it on our 03 2.5 Xtrail detected an o2 sensor on the fritz. Reset the fault and it didn't reoccur for six months . Previous to that paid a main dealer 50 for exactly the same procedure. So paid for itself already. Compatible with my yaris hsd and our new Qashqai. So great bit of kit great price. Everyone imo should own one.

VW SHARAN - Code Scanners and reset tools. - bathtub tom

I bought a Maxiscan MS390 from Amazon for around fifteen quid. It correctly diagnosed a crankshaft position sensor.

Paid for itself first go.

I've since used it to good effect on a couple of other cars.

Hi, yes the car is a 2001 1.9tdi. 132,000 miles never missed a beat and still doesn't, it's just got this mil light that comes on when it feels like it, normally after 5mins after starting from cold and then could go out and then come back on again later. Would a obd2 scanner tell me anything or is there a different type. Thanks. Sparky100.

VW SHARAN - Code Scanners and reset tools. - Ethan Edwards

No its not compatible . Universal standard Odb2 didnt get adopted for diesels until about 2002. Petrols had it from 96. You'll need a more manufacturer specific diagnostic tool.

www.ilexa.co.uk.this will definitely do the job.

Hi, i looked this up and it seems to cost around £270 for scanner. Surely there must be a cheaper option to this. What system does a MK2 sharan have for dianostics.

If the brake switch had bought the mil light on, would it reset itself automatically once fixed, or does it need to be done with a scanner. The car drives perfect and is it ok to carry on driving it. Thank's. Sparky100.

As I said in my previous post,your car is too old to be compatible with the cheap scanners.Late models are compatible and cheapo happy shopper scanners will work,but I am not sure how accurate they are.May be a good idea to replace the brake switch,they are such a common failure on vw models and are not expensive from dealer.About £12,from memory.Perhaps a local garage could do a diagnostic scan for reasonable price?
VW SHARAN - Code Scanners and reset tools. - brum

Flashing glowplug light on 1.9 tdi vag models including sharan, commonly caused by a dicky brake light switch located on pedal. Its a dual device, one switch operates the brake lighyt, and the other is used by the ecu to cancel cruise control, possibly other function. If the two switches disagree, it throws a fault that is indicated by the glow plug light flashing. There is some adjustment possible, but mostly a new switch is required. The fault is self cancelling.

Check your brake lights work when the light is flashing...