Hyundai i30 - Hyundai first oil change - carquet

I bought this car new in France in February 2013 and I am very pleased with it, however, in the handbook it says the first service is on 30000km. The oil looks very black, should I have it changed or wait till the service?

Forgot to mention it is a diesel automatic.

Hyundai i30 - Hyundai first oil change - mss1tw

The engine oil does get black quikcly in a diesel, that's normal.

We need to know how many miles/km it has done, and what sort of driving you do (Town, motorway)

The general rule of thumb is every 10k miles with modern oils.

Hyundai i30 - Hyundai first oil change - skidpan

To some extent it all depends what oil it came filled with. In the UK current Hyundai/Kia diesels are filled with long life fully synthetic C3 grade oil and require an oil change every 20,000 miles or 2 years.

Your service book will tell you what the requirements are. But if you have missed an oil change you will have lost your warranty.

Hyundai i30 - Hyundai first oil change - bathtub tom

I bought this car new in France in February 2013 and I am very pleased with it, however, in the handbook it says the first service is on 30000km.

Are you sure it doesn't say 30000KM or one year, WHICHEVER COMES FIRST!

Hyundai i30 - Hyundai first oil change - Wackyracer

I think it is most likely to be 10,000km or 12months interval and half that for severe use.

I have done 17200km in 20 months, mixed use , where we live is a bit out of the way and even supermarkets involve a return journey of 30+km, some even twice that.

The handbook does say first service at 30000km. I just thought the oil looked very black, I'll contact the dealer to check.

Thank you all for your replies, much appreciated.

Hyundai i30 - Hyundai first oil change - Railroad.
Take the book and throw it away. Change your engine oil and filter at least once every 12 months, regardless of mileage to keep your engine clean and in good condition. Change it more often if you do very low mileage. Remember low mileage = high wear. High motorway mileage = low wear.
Hyundai i30 - Hyundai first oil change - austinambassadoryreg

Certain vehicles (Vauxhall Corsa is one) come from the factory with a special oil to aid engine break in. I would personally check that the Hyundai isn't one of these and if so stick to the schedule. Otherwise 7 -10,000 miles /12 months at the absolute max. Anything longer is risking premature engine wear and/or turbo EGR problems.

Remember modern oils are very advanced but they still have to carry similar amounts of combustion acids, soot, metal particles etc. that build up over time to destroy your engine.

Same goes for synthetic gear oils - 60k is enough for long life.

Many cars suffer EGR problems and turbo problems and the root cause is owners foillowing the factory oil change intervals . Renault's 14,000 intervals on the early Megane DCI were ridiculous for Uk conditions with lots of short journeys as many owners found to their cost.

Hyundai i30 - Hyundai first oil change - gordonbennet

I'm in the 12 months camp too, whatever the text of todays hymnsheet might suggest.