SCAMS - Ben 10
I saw these a while back on auto trader when I was looking for a luxury car. The prices were unbelievable so had to be a scam. I would just alert AT who would remove the ad. It must be costing the scammers so much to advertise. But you have to put some blame on AT as the ads are written in the same manner and the contact email address is very similar to their other posts. And the fact I and others have highlighted them as scams. You would have to be a dimwit to fall for it, but I expect some do as they wouldn't keep on doing it.
SCAMS - dan86

While looking for a used bargain erlier on this month I found one that just seemd so cheep it had to be to good to be true. Emailed the seller and it was well deliver the car for you to inspect test ect. I just ignored any further contact from them as I'm ofvthe belief of if it's to good to be true it must be.

When looking at ads on AT I always report ads that are scams or falsely advertised eggs price asked is different in the advert txt.

SCAMS - bananastand

It's almost funny to ring up "private" sellers in AT and ask them if it's their name on the V5. The list of excuses why it isn't is seemingly endless.

SCAMS... More - keefyyp
I kept the email conversation going with the "seller" to see how it developed and fired a few questions. E.g. What was your home address in the UK before you moved abroad?
Back comes the address. But not the same address for that name on the electoral roll in that town. So, I check it on Google Streetview. There's her house, and outside there's the car (number plate obscured in StreetView)... But not exactly the same car, if you examine the fine detail of the trim.

Very cunning and very well set up scam!
SCAMS - Alanovich

It's almost funny to ring up "private" sellers in AT and ask them if it's their name on the V5. The list of excuses why it isn't is seemingly endless.

I sold a car on behlf of my sister last year, who lived about 100 miles from me. Her name and address on the V5 of course. I provided the buyer with her personal contact details and he was satisifed that all was well.

I did this as a favour as my sister is disabled and her husband often away with the armed forces, they also lived in a part of the country with a bit of a reputation for wide boys and the car in question was a white BMW cabrio, so she was nervous of having callers to the house.

I expect many enquirers would have dismissd me as a scammer, but it's not always the case. I walked and quacked like a duck, but was not a duck.

SCAMS - bathtub tom

>>I sold a car on behlf of my sister

I did similar, but simply got them to register a change of address to mine. No additional owners and the address on the V5 matched where it was being sold from. IIRC there was no charge either.

SCAMS - Steveieb

With the number of on line scams escalating, I’ve heard of another one thats doing the rounds.

At the moment there is a huge demand for small vans from individuals who have been made redundant and wishing to go self employed.

The case in particular involved a small van offered for sale on eBay at an “unbelievable.” Price.

When the buyer phones up , and here comes the clever bit, the buyer says the car is sold. When pressed he says there is a fifty percent deposit on the car. The buyer realising that he has missed a bargain offers to pay the full amount now.

The buyer says he will think about it and calls back the next day saying he will accept this and hands the phone to his wife who gives the bank details. Collection is arranged for later in the week as it involves an 80 mile journey.

The buyers phone goes dead once the money is transferred and when the buyer turns up at the address he is met by an annoyed householder who has had six other people turn up after the van!

No preaching but it goes to show how professionals are entering the business!

SCAMS - Avant

Many thanks for taking the trouble to post that, Steveieb.