Any - Shocking roadworks - Snakey

I'm pretty used to our cruddy roads and poor maintenance but the roadworks on the western bypass (Gateshead) were an eye-opener.

The road surface is disgraceful - a trench runs along where they hacked out the old edge strip, which means you're constantly fighting the steering (and we're talking about 30mph speeds) all the time, or trying to keep your wheel out of the rut by driving very close to the outer edge.

And then the southbound section, whoever thought it was a good idea to simply paint the new lane guides without removing the existing ones? It makes it impossible to work out which lane is which, doubly hard when merging in from one of the slip roads. According to the lane markings there's about 6 lanes!

I notice they got the speed cameras up quick enough though, and even placed them on the slip roads that are well away from the main roadworks.

And we're stuck with these for the next 2 years.Time to find another route!

Any - Shocking roadworks - gordonbennet

Its the timing that gets me, we have the widening of the A14 @ Kettering which is causing havoc, as are the long overdue works at the Catthorpe interchange where A14 terminates.

So, just in case the enemy should deviously work out they could carry on down M1 and nip round the A45 to Thrapston, or vice versa seeking an alternative, we'll do the central barrier between Catthorpe and jct 16 at the same time...and for a prize winning bonus we'll make the lanes particularly narrow so the increased lorry and coach traffic has more chance of making contact seeing the hard shoulder is already disintegrating...there that should wreak some havoc on a Friday afternoon, and it does.

And just in case...assume stage German accent here...those devious Tommies think they can thwart us and use the M45 via Coventry, ve already haf that one dug up dumbkopf.

Brilliant, well done chaps.

You do feel like they're deliberating planning this somewhere to cause maximum impact - and if anyone dares to take a diversion they'll move in and dig that up as well!

Round here its A1 western bypass, or the tyne tunnel and they both an absolute joke.

Any - Shocking roadworks - Bobbin Threadbare
Try driving around Lancaster......it's a very small city with a one way system. The roadworks are for sewerage. What a pig's ear!!

Any - Shocking roadworks - Bromptonaut

So, just in case the enemy should deviously work out they could carry on down M1 and nip round the A45 to Thrapston, or vice versa

Brilliant, well done chaps.

And just in case you thought the A5 was another alternative various works are in progress between the Gibbet roundabout and DIRFT. More south towards Foster's Booth and thne they're finally improving the A5/A43 interfae at Towcester.

Any - Shocking roadworks - gordonbennet

I'd quite forgotten about the A5 Bromp, only surprised they haven't shut the 428 as well, some of our lads are using that as an alternative, must say i find the M1 most uncomfortable in the lorry at the moment, frustration building up with..it must be said..a large minority of lorry drivers, as well as others, who push and shove and sit so close to the lorry in front that they haven't the foggiest idea where they are in these narrow lanes.

Coo, haven't been through Lancaster for yonks, traffic must be easier in the new car Bobbin, hybrid isn't it, is it doing all you ask of it?

Any - Shocking roadworks - daveyjp
For supposedly austere times the Highways Agency seem to have escaped. I don't have to go far on any motorway near me before the miles of 50 limit and endless cones begin.
For supposedly austere times the Highways Agency seem to have escaped. I don't have to go far on any motorway near me before the miles of 50 limit and endless cones begin.

Perhaps the speed cameras are more lucrative than we thought!

Driving through the A1 roadworks today introduced a new idiot. Despite 3 lanes of crawling <20mph traffic, some dozy undercover plod thought it was a bright idea to park his audi in the hard shoulder and point a speed camera gun at the passing traffic. I mean, what was the point of that?

Technically its a 70mph motorway but the roadworks have reduced it to walking pace, and the variable speed limit (with its own cameras!) doesn't start for a few more miles. This is the same plod who has a reputation for pulling anyone over for any reason he can think of - too much time on his hands perhaps.

Any - Shocking roadworks - brum

Could have been checking number plates for tax/insurance/stolen etc.

Could have been checking number plates for tax/insurance/stolen etc.

Do they use the same sort of camera? Could be with the new tax disc rules I suppose.

It looked just like a cash camera but I'm more used to the ANPR vans that hide behind trees etc.

Any - Shocking roadworks - Bobbin Threadbare

I'd quite forgotten about the A5 Bromp, only surprised they haven't shut the 428 as well, some of our lads are using that as an alternative, must say i find the M1 most uncomfortable in the lorry at the moment, frustration building up with..it must be said..a large minority of lorry drivers, as well as others, who push and shove and sit so close to the lorry in front that they haven't the foggiest idea where they are in these narrow lanes.

Coo, haven't been through Lancaster for yonks, traffic must be easier in the new car Bobbin, hybrid isn't it, is it doing all you ask of it?

I tend to walk! The hybrid is doing the business on my commute to work though; comfortable and quick.