Ford Titanium X - Servicing, Transmission Oil - AntG

My Ford servicing agent says : Transmission oil is due for Change after 40000 miles or

3 years, whichever is the sooner; cost £250 to £300. my vehicle is coming up to 3 Years

and has 18000 miles on the clock. Is this service requirement correct?

AntG.

Ford Titanium X - Servicing, Transmission Oil - Railroad.
£300 to change the transmission oil? No wonder they specify every 40,000 miles. ??.
Ford Titanium X - Servicing, Transmission Oil - Peter.N.

I assume this is auto transmission, if so keeping the oil clean is one way of prolonging the life of an auto box, a replacement box would be a lot more expensive although I'm sure you could get the oil changed cheaper elswhere.

Auto boxes are very complicated and have a limited life span, manual boxes will generally last the life of the vehicle with very little attention.

Ford Titanium X - Servicing, Transmission Oil - John F

Auto boxes ......... have a limited life span, manual boxes will generally last the life of the vehicle with very little attention.

I disagree. A well made auto from the likes of ZF, Getrag or Ainsin should usually last the life of the car with no attention at all. I have never had trouble from our VW boxes which were all still working perfectly after well over 100,000. Even our Focus's Ford/Mazda box seems pretty reliable. And the autobox is protected from the often unfeeling nut at the top of the gear stick.

The advice to change the fluid after such little use sounds to me like either a scam or the post-production discovery that it's a flimsy unit.

Ford Titanium X - Servicing, Transmission Oil - AntG

Thank you for the comments; This mondeo has "Power-Shift"

gearbox, Auto or Manual; perhaps this makes it more important regarding Oil change?

AntG.

Ford Titanium X - Servicing, Transmission Oil - Cyd

I would agree with the principle of changing the oil regularly on a gearbox (whatever its type).

But £250 to £300 sounds very expensive to me. Find out how much the manufacturers own oil is and get a quote from an independant to carry out the change.

If it's out of warranty, check out the recommended oil on Opie Oils website.