Vauxhall Astra G Petrol 1.4 16V (2001) - Astra G 1.4 16V Petrol (2001) questions. - canopy

Hello. all. This is my forst proper car. So im in learning mode hear. trying to do as much reserach as possible to get my beutiful astra somewhere back to its fomer glory (on a budget) I still have alot to learn. Im hoping someone here might be able to answer a few questions I have...

Is there a way I can find the correct Part Numbers of each part I need to replace on my Vauxhall Astra G Petrol 1.4 16V (2001)? ie a web site or similar.

I have an Vauxhall Astra G Petrol 1.4 16V (2001) and it turns out it has the wrong ECU unit fitted after a rebuild because of a bump the previous owner had. It now has an ECU fitted for a 1.6 instead of a 1.4. The car runs, but its kinds sluggish pulling off. and also in second. it has nearly 100K on the clock, but its in relatively good condition I think it needs a little TLC to get it back someewhere to near its former glory days. the body and interior are in good condition considering its age.

I would also like to find out the correct engine code of my car. I think it could be engine code: Z14XE.Is there a way of finding all the info I need without paying for a full diagnostics scan from a garage? IS there a web site I cn enter my cars Registration number and/or VIN number. So I can find out the correct part numbers I need for the replacement parts I need including the correct part number for the ECU unit I need.

Could the ECU its has fitted be flashed to a 1.4?

because the ECU fitted is for a 1.6 not 1.4. would this mean the ECU could give out incorrect fault codes?

Qould I have to but A qhole new ECU kit. or could I buy only the main ECU unit. then re-use the other parts (tranasponder etc) to work with a new 1.4 ecu? would this be possible.

Is my car running slowly pulling off and in second because of the ECU ?

Is there a web site specifically for checking/ cross referencing Vauxhall Astra G 1,4 16V petrol (2001) fauly codes ?

Thanks.

Edited by socold on 14/10/2014 at 04:25

Vauxhall Astra G Petrol 1.4 16V (2001) - Astra G 1.4 16V Petrol (2001) questions. - elekie&a/c doctor

I am a little concerned that the ecu was replaced after a bump .The ecu is bolted to the engine,so how would it get damaged?Unless of course the engine has been replaced with a 1.6 unit.The engine number is stamped on the front of the block ,on a face just next to the gearbox.You will need to scrape off the rust and crud to read it.I would do this before proceeding any further.

Vauxhall Astra G Petrol 1.4 16V (2001) - Astra G 1.4 16V Petrol (2001) questions. - canopy

just back from the garage. My car engine number is 100% Z14XE. the Engine ECU is not fitted to the engine properly and Is for a Z16XE engine. This is what the mechanic/electrician told me after running OBD. I have sourced a replacement ECU for £140 for engine number Z14XE. Im going to buy it and get the garage to fit it. the part number is ECU Kit 09391340. definately for engine code Z14XE. is the ecu good to use. How can I find out if it is okay for my car? would you know ?

Vauxhall Astra G Petrol 1.4 16V (2001) - Astra G 1.4 16V Petrol (2001) questions. - Wackyracer

If your buying a used ECU you'll need the ECU, Key tranponder ring unit and the transponder from the key. Then you won't have to have it reprogrammed.

Vauxhall Astra G Petrol 1.4 16V (2001) - Astra G 1.4 16V Petrol (2001) questions. - elekie&a/c doctor

I think you may be getting worried over nothing.The ecu number quoted is a "family part number" that is suitable for both the 1.4 and 1.6 engines.It is the way that it is programmed that makes the difference.Perhaps the problems with the engine running faults are eleswhere.

Thanks for the info Wackyracer. its appreciated.

In regards to your last reply elekie&a/c doctor you said.
"Perhaps the problems with the engine running faults are eleswhere."

Im unsure what this means. Could you explain a little more please.

Would it be more cost effective or worthwile for me to get the existing ECU reprogrammed. Or to buy the ECU I mentioned in my last post?

Vauxhall Astra G Petrol 1.4 16V (2001) - Astra G 1.4 16V Petrol (2001) questions. - Wackyracer

If the diagnostic tool used was a professional unit they should have been able to view the ECU information and have seen what engine type it is programmed.

Does the VIN number and Engine code in the ECU software match the VIN number of the car? If so it has probably been programmed to suit your car.

Im unsure at this time if the VIN number and Engine code in the ECU software matches the VIN number of my car at this time. ill know next week, because im taking it in to get the radiaror Fan sorted. its not working at the moment. Il ask the same mechanic/electrician if the VIN number and Engine code in the ECU software matches the VIN number of my car. then ill let you know.

In the mean time id still appreciate some clarification on what elekie&a/c doctor meant In regards to his last reply when wrote:
"Perhaps the problems with the engine running faults are eleswhere" Im interested in finding, diagnosing and fixing as much as possible myself.

just FYI the ECU im speaking about is the one right in front of the front passanger left side wheel arch.

Would it be more cost effective or worthwile for me to get the existing ECU reprogrammed. Or to buy the ECU I mentioned in my last post?

just FYI the ECU im speaking about is the one right in front of the front passanger left side wheel arch.

That sounds like the fan control module your looking at.

I think we need to clarify a few points.What is actually wrong with your car?Forget Ecu and programming.The engine Ecu is bolted to the top/rear of engine ,on the inlet manifold.Agreed as above .The ecu behind the front bumper is for the cooling fans and aircon system(if fitted)

On a 2001 z14xe the ECU (Engine Control Unit) should be bolted onto the righthand end of the cylinder head under the plastic engine cover. It looks like an aluminium heatsink with 2 large plugs connected to it.

A rather idiotic place to locate an ECU in my opinion and they do fail from excessive thermal cycling.

However, I think what Elecky doc is suggesting is that the problem your having might be somthing other than a faulty ECU. There are many things that can cause a lack of power and the Engine warning lamp to come on.

If you had a faulty ECU on this engine then often you will get fault codes P1120 P1122 and P1550.

The ecu behind the front bumper is for the cooling fans and aircon system(if fitted).

That is very interesting and thank-you for clarifying what exact ECU is located behind the front bumper. I thought that was the engine ECU. I now know it is for the cooling fans and aircon system. My car does indeed have AC which is not working at present. but is something im looking to get fixed.

I want to replace ECU for the cooling fan and aircon system.I know need to find out which correct ecu i need for the cooling fan and aircon.

The main issues with my car are:

The raidiator fan is not working at present. i need to get this fixed. any info on why this might not be working and how to get it fixed is appreciated.

My car is pretty slow to pull off in first gear. especially at round-abouts. same with second gear. id like to see if there is a way to fix this.

Car also can only do about 80MPH tops. i know its a 1.4 16v but im wondering if theres anything i can do to improve this.

Once again. thank-you for letting me know which ECU is behind the front bumper (ECU for the cooling fan and aircon system). I thought this was my engine ECU. Appologies for causing any confusion there. Would you happen to know the exact part name i need to replace the cooling fan and aircon system ECU.

Thanks.