Volvo engines..or not? - daryld
I have heard that Renault supplied the engines to the early Volvo V40s. Is that true? Are there any other french engines quietly appearing in apparently non-french cars? In view of the recent problem owners of Peugeot and Renault owner have had due to poor quality I want to steer clear of anything remotely french.
Volvo engines..or not? - Armitage Shanks{P}
Renault certainly supplied engines for the unlamented 340! I think all V40s have always been built at the old DAF Factory at Maastricht but I can't help on the engine info.
Volvo engines..or not? - chris p crisps ©
I have heard that Renault supplied the engines to the early
Volvo V40s. Is that true? Are there any other french engines
quietly appearing in apparently non-french cars? In view of the recent
problem owners of Peugeot and Renault owner have had due to
poor quality I want to steer clear of anything remotely french.

My V40 registered 2001 1.8i has a Misubishi power plant shoe horned in, cannot comment on other variants.

chris
Volvo engines..or not? - John S
Going back a while (1980's?) the was a Renault/Volvo/Peugeot(RVP) tie-up which resulted in some common components, including engines. There was certainly a common V6 unit. I don't know if some collaboration continues.

Regards

John S
Volvo engines..or not? - Stargazer {P}
Try a search on V40 on these pages.

The early S/V40 Diesel variants used a renault engine. I think most of the petrol are either Mitsubishi or Volvo derived.

More recent S/V40 from about 2000 are much better/improved.

Ian L.

Volvo engines..or not? - DavidHM
Also, the engine in the 440/460 was Volvo derived. My car's got the same engine, it's a bit noisy but pretty tough notwithstanding the problems I'm having now (plugs other thread shamelessly!)
Volvo engines..or not? - mare
I understood that the S40 / V40 shares a lot with the Mitsubishi Carisma, including being built at the same factory