Unqualified Staff - Engineering Recruitment Consultant - Really? - Firmbutfair

During the Spring and Summer of 2014, I have had cause to seek re-employment as a professional electronics engineer, posting my carefully prepared, 2 page CV and contact details on three popular 'job boards' on the internet, namely Total Jobs, CV-Library and MatchTech.

The responses and enquiries I have received have been amusing, irritating and frankly unprofessional on many occasions and only rarely helpful at all.

Despite including details of my areas of expertise, salary expectations and maximum distance from my home in SE England, of 50 miles, I have received email invitations for jobs as far away as Glasgow, paying fantastic salaries - in the Oil and/or Nuclear Power Engineering Sectors, or at salaries that were so low as to be insulting even for a recent engineering graduate, never mind a seasoned professional.

During this job hunting process, I have also made contact with my own network of ex colleagues, via LinkedIn and have been successful in securing the offer of a very interesting and potentially well paid position with a local firm, backed up by a global corporation.

However, in the course of making contact with numerous 'Engineering Recruitment Consultants' in various prestigious agencies, many with long standing track records established for over 15 or 20 years, I have been astonished to find that many of their current 'engineering recruitment executives' are under 30 and have very recent careers as Estate Agents and Car Salesmen and Media Executives proudly published on LinkedIn and barely more than a year or two in the recruitment agency business.

In principle, this woull not be too bad but despite their past careers in non-engineering and or non-scientific disciplines they all seem to have lost the ability to read english or understand the first thing about matching the candidate to the client.

Unqualified Staff - Engineering Recruitment Consultant - Really? - gordonbennet

Matching the right candidate isn't their main priority, selling the company an applicant, and trousering the commission before the next agent does, is.

Whether they have the nous to realise that the reason companies employ recrutiment professionals is to weed out those who are not suitable in the first place is another question...maybe the employer seeking people should take as much blame for not recruiting a better recruiter.

Desperation of the applicant is an unknown, maybe you were the right man for the job, and they hoped you would be so glad to land the job, and if highly enough paid would have been prepared to move to get it, i suspect many to whom money is mamon would.

Congratulations on finding something close by.

Edited by gordonbennet on 06/10/2014 at 16:03

Unqualified Staff - Engineering Recruitment Consultant - Really? - YG2007

Filtering the wheat from the chaff. Its the same with job adverts. they are often written by HR reps who have little knowledge of the end user requirements and basically ask for all skills (multiple years experience)with a fantastic job title and then add 25K /annum salary as if thats going to fly.

seeking jobs online however is a lot easier than going down the job centre of trawling through the job section of a paper. You can filter your job search to match what you can do , how much you are looking for and location. Then its up to you

Unqualified Staff - Engineering Recruitment Consultant - Really? - concrete

A pretty sad state of affairs, I agree. There is a bunch of 'Headhunters': their words not mine, that use one of my local pubs after their work. They are pleasant enough but not overly bright. They seem to rely heavily on commission, which is an incentive to place someone into a role, regardless of the actual requirements. From what I can gather none of them is qualified for anything except being personable, allied to a thick skin. It is not a job I would consider doing in this day and age. When I was working we did our own recruitment and I think we only ever employed 2 people under 45. One was fine and worked out, the other was not so good and was side lined into a less demanding role. Our method was to ask 6 key questions relevant to the role. 2 of the questions were designed as 'killer' questions, which if answered incorrectly automatically disqualified the candidate. Not perfect but quite reliable and not too difficult. However I would not like to be in the job market now. For although since retiring I have worked quite a bit for my old company because they are finding it hard to replace genuine experience, I fear I would be rejected by the so called modern methods of recruitment. But what do I know?

Cheers Concrete