1967 MGB - MGB GT conversion to Roadster - terry6437

Last year, I bought a MGB Roadster from a private seller. It was advertised on the internet as a "1967 MGB Roadster Mark 1", and that it had been subject to a "complete nut and bolt restoration in 2006", for which I have a full photographic record. I still have a printout of the ad from the website.

It is in absolutely mint condition, and I paid a very full price of £12,950

Having received the Heritage Certificate, it tells me that the car was originally a 1967 MGB GT. Having now learnt a little more about chassis numbers, the car's chassis number confirms this. Presumably, this converted vehicle is worth considerably less than an original Roadster, even if I probably paid over the odds in the first place.

Does anyone know if I have anywhere to go with this? I haven't contacted the seller yet, but will do so in the next few days.

It may well be that the seller was unware of the car's original history - would this make any difference to any recourse I might have?

Any help much appreciated . . .

1967 MGB - MGB GT conversion to Roadster - skidpan

Not possible to convert a GT to a convertible using the original body.

I would be very worried that you have bought a ringer where a stolen car has been given the identity of another car, in your case probably a rusted out GT.

But that could have happened long before the restoration took place.

If you delve too much into the cars history you could well end up loosing it.

Just be happy with what you have.

And learn to do the research before you buy in future.

1967 MGB - MGB GT conversion to Roadster - terry6437

Thanks skidpan - sensible advice I guess. You live and learn!

1967 MGB - MGB GT conversion to Roadster - martint123

full photographic record.

Does this show a roadster in the before picture? If so, I doubt the seller knew about the oddity.

1967 MGB - MGB GT conversion to Roadster - gordonbennet

This was BL or whatever they happened to be called on the day the car in question was made, not sure i'd put my last 50p on betting the chassis numbers didn't have some oddities floating about.

Agree with Skidpan, keep schtum and enjoy your fine car.