306 but now in a boat - Cam shaft breaking on a xud 1.9td - kilifi
Hi I have put 2 xud engines in a boat. For some reason I have broke the cam on one engine so have swapped that engine with another. Running ok at the moment. Now the other engine has done the same. Both engines were low mileage. I have run the engines now for at least 40hrs. The engines are sitting straight upwards where as in a car they would sit more on their side. I changed the cam belt and oil before start. Once the cam shaft broke I rechecked the belt and bolts for any faults and all look ok. No one I know seem to have a clue. The only thing I can think off is the pick up in the sump. Now that the engine is straight the the engine is not getting enough oil to the top although I am at the line on the dip stick. Has become very expensive now. Any body with good knowledge of these engines that can he will be gratefully received. My I tensions are now to get the engine reconditioned once I have an idea of the cause.
306 but now in a boat - Cam shaft breaking on a xud 1.9td - Railroad.
This used to happen sometimes on Vauxhall engines after the cylinder head had been skimmed, following a head gasket replacement. This was why I was never in favour of routine skimming, and would only do it if the head showed clear signs of overheating.
306 but now in a boat - Cam shaft breaking on a xud 1.9td - gordonbennet

Few things spring to mind.

one is your own suspicion about where the oil pick up might be in relation to the oil level now the engine is upright, easy enough to check and modify.

one point five, (i reckon this is the kiddie) is the oil draining back down into the sump fast enough, again due to drain holes not being quite where they should be, fit an oil pressure gauge and experiment with oil levels.

two is how is the engine held in place, is it on rubber mounts to soften vibration as it would be in its designed car siting, or is it bolted solidly in place, if its the latter that could feasably allow too much vibration and the camshaft can't take it.

third, is the cooling system up to the mark, presumably the engine is working harder continually driving a propeller, so may require additional water cooling, and possibly an external oil cooler radiator.

fourth, as the engine is working harder and hotter (i think it will be) is the oil good enough.

fifth, are you overevving it.

Edited by gordonbennet on 27/09/2014 at 13:04

306 but now in a boat - Cam shaft breaking on a xud 1.9td - Andrew-T

... is the cooling system up to the mark, presumably the engine is working harder continually driving a propeller, so may require additional water cooling, and possibly an external oil cooler radiator.

Interesting question GB. Is the resistance of a prop in water (a bit like a torque converter I suppose) greater than a propshaft driving wheels firmly connected to the ground? I wouldn't have thought so. But of course most boat engines use external water for cooling, not a smaller closed system, don't they? So what about the radiator?

Edited by Andrew-T on 27/09/2014 at 19:10

306 but now in a boat - Cam shaft breaking on a xud 1.9td - gordonbennet

Is the resistance of a prop in water (a bit like a torque converter I suppose) greater than a propshaft driving wheels firmly connected to the ground? So what about the radiator?

I expect a prop churning in water, could send shock waves back through the d*****ine* to a degree found in something like rallycross.

We don't know what sort of cooling is involved here, if the boat is going into salt water i expect it's running a radiator and self contained cooling system.

Be interesting to hear the end result of this problem.

*why on earth would the auto censor worry about drive line, or is dri vel a banned word, if so the vast majority of politicians would thankfully never be heard here.

Edited by gordonbennet on 27/09/2014 at 20:36

The engines are sitting straight upwards where as in a car they would sit more on their side.

I have no experience of diesel engines in boats, but one difference will be that in a car the engine is transverse, while I guess it is fore-&-aft in your boat? Boats can also roll a good deal more than a car, which may lift the pickup above oil level.

I don't remember Peugeot tipping the XUD engines either - the earlier X series petrol engines lay backwards in the bay, but not after the 1988 changes.

306 but now in a boat - Cam shaft breaking on a xud 1.9td - kilifi

hi all i have a headertank that acts like a radiator and is cooled by sea water. every water hole in the engine is being used by a larger pipe where posible. water temp is sitting fine. i think im going to have to go with the oil not having enough pressure for now. good idea to try extra oil. im just a bit unlucky i guess. will let people know the outcome soon.

thanks to all.

Good idea to try extra oil. im just a bit unlucky i guess. will let people know the outcome soon.

Don't forget that an overfilled diesel engine can start burning its own oil ....

Edited by Andrew-T on 28/09/2014 at 00:29